ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Roy, Are there still some strong feelings for Kansas? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182346)

Sure-Oz 04-01-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 4661909)
NC's last coach was Matt Doherty.

Yep, it could've gone either way if people thought for a second they'd know what i was talking about, but many forget about Doherty and think Dean Smith right away :)

ArrowheadHawk 04-01-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4661996)
Yep, it could've gone either way if people thought for a second they'd know what i was talking about, but many forget about Doherty and think Dean Smith right away :)

I think Doherty got a raw deal. He did recruit most of the team that won the Championship. He just needed more time. Someday he will make someone a good coach.

Skip Towne 04-01-2008 07:05 PM

Wasn't there aother coach between Doherty and Smith? Gutheridge or something.

DJJasonp 04-01-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4662083)
Wasn't there aother coach between Doherty and Smith? Gutheridge or something.

Yep...Bill Guthridge I believe.......

teedubya 04-01-2008 09:27 PM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...erryroy4gr.jpg

teedubya 04-01-2008 09:27 PM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...roy/o9pmxz.jpg

teedubya 04-01-2008 09:29 PM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...otoshop2eo.jpg

Easy Money 04-01-2008 10:56 PM

[QUOTarceE=Spott;4661711]I'm pretty sure that Roy Williams can recruit as good as anyone. IIRC, the 97 team had 4 1st round NBA picks. In his last year at KU, 2 of his players went in the top 10 in the draft(Hinrich and Collison).[/QUOTE]

Why is everyone so quick to make NBA references? Good college player doesn't = good pro. And I'm not saying Roy recruited crappy players.... Hinrich is my all time favorite, Simien a close second. My point was that Self knows how to put together good college teams. Look, the guy didn't build three different elite 8 teams, not including this year's team, by being a recruiting slouch. Hell, I'm sure he could even turn mizzou into a moderate team!

KCChiefsMan 04-01-2008 10:58 PM

Ruck Foy

DaKCMan AP 04-02-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Money
Why is everyone so quick to make NBA references? Good college player doesn't = good pro. And I'm not saying Roy recruited crappy players.... Hinrich is my all time favorite, Simien a close second. My point was that Self knows how to put together good college teams. Look, the guy didn't build three different elite 8 teams, not including this year's team, by being a recruiting slouch. Hell, I'm sure he could even turn mizzou into a moderate team!

Um.... what? Look at the teams that have won championships since 1996:

2006, 2007 - Florida (Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer, Taureen Green, Chris Richards - 3 top 10 picks, all drafted)
2005 - UNC (Sean May, Rashad McCants, Raymond Felton, Marvin Williams - all 1st round)
2004 - UConn (Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon - #2 and #3 overall)
2003 - Syracuse (Carmelo Anthony, Hakim Warrick)
2002 - Maryland (Chris Wilcox, Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter - all drafted)
2001 - Duke (Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer - all drafted)
2000 - Michigan State (Jason Richardson, Andre Hutson, Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson - all drafted)
1999 - UConn (Jake Voskuhl, Khalid El-Amin, Richard Hamilton - all drated)
1998 - Kentucky (Scott Padgett, Jamaal Magloire, Nazr Mohammed - all drafted)
1997 - Arizona (Mike Bibby, Jason Terry, AJ Bramlett, Michael Dickerson, Miles Simon - all drafted)
1996 - Kentucky (Ron Mercer, Derek Anderson, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Mark Pope - all drafted)

HypnotizedMonkey 04-02-2008 06:45 AM

all i know is.. i cannot wait to see this game.

Lzen 04-02-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4662505)

2006, 2007 - Florida (Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer, Taureen Green, Chris Richards - 3 top 10 picks, all drafted)
2005 - UNC (Sean May, Rashad McCants, Raymond Felton, Marvin Williams - all 1st round)
2001 - Duke (Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer - all drafted)
2000 - Michigan State (Jason Richardson, Andre Hutson, Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson - all drafted)
1997 - Arizona (Mike Bibby, Jason Terry, AJ Bramlett, Michael Dickerson, Miles Simon - all drafted)
1996 - Kentucky (Ron Mercer, Derek Anderson, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Mark Pope - all drafted)

Probably a more accurate assessment is that a great college player doesn't necessarily equal a great or even good NBA player. That said, you're right in that you need some high quality talent to win the NCAA championship. IMO, a big reason that Roy's teams lost through the mid to late 90s is that he wasn't getting the big, strong, physical, and athletic type players that other teams had. He had become stagnant in that area, IMO. Seems to me that he finally figured that out and that is a big reason that he got back to the Final Four twice before he left. That said, I still believe Self is a better recruiter and KU will be better off for that.

Easy Money 04-02-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4662505)

I guess that sort of speaks to my point then. The vast majority of the players you named accomplished little more than I have in the NBA, which is nothing. I'm not sure how many of them were starters on an NBA championship team either. Getting drafted early isn't going to make you a great player.

DaKCMan AP 04-02-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Money (Post 4662557)
I guess that sort of speaks to my point then. The vast majority of the players you named accomplished little more than I have in the NBA, which is nothing. I'm not sure how many of them were starters on an NBA championship team either. Getting drafted early isn't going to make you a great player.

No, it does not speak to your point. Spott used the fact that Roy's recruits were 1st round and lottery picks to demonstrate his recruiting prowess. There was no mention of how good they are/were/will be in the NBA. Good college players does not equal good NBA player, you have that much right. But the fact is that the best, and championship-caliber, college teams have multiple guys move on to the NBA and Roy's team's met that criteria.

Monty 04-02-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnotizedMonkey (Post 4662507)
all i know is.. i cannot wait to see this game.

I triple dog ditto that!! :thumb: