ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Incident at P&L District shocks DJ Jazzy Jeff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208730)

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5824610)
I call it how I see it.

Given your previous comment about Black people who've found a way to circumvent the tax system...I'm not sure you're seeing much of anything. Seems to me that there's a huge tree in your line of sight. And that tree...is called ignorance.

Quote:

This isn't racial profiling. I went to PL one Sat night and at the entrance they were telling a group of thugs they couldnt come in because of what they were wearing. They had their pants sagged down with their asses hanging out, wife beaters, and red tilted hats all the same color. These hoodlums are the ones that are calling out P&L people racists.
I'm not a hoodlum. I'm a law-abiding taxpaying citizen of Kansas City.
And many of the other people decrying the imbalanced handling of patrons in a taxpayer-funded development are just like me.

Quote:

There's nothing racist about it. No one is telling them they have to wear those kind of outfits. They CHOOSE to wear that kinda clothing. P&L is trying to stop trouble before it begins. It's been proven over and over again. People like that cause trouble at large gatherings like at late night clubs etc.

Had they come in with jeans just a regular shirt they would have been fine, but the culture they want to bring into that place isn't allowed. It isn't a racist thing as they choose what they want to look like. Put on some clothes that actually makes you look like you give a shit about life and there isn't any problem. The dress code is nothing more than a step to prevent certain issues from ever happening. They never once said "blacks can't come to P&L." There are a lot of african americans that go there. They just dont want any of the gang like activity or atmosphere to even step foot into the place which I totally agree with. The same goes for the white trash that want to present themselves in that manner as well. P&L doesn't want it there, and that's comepletely up to them.

As far as the Jazzy Jeff, I don't really believe his claim in stating they didn't want him to play Hip hop, he's a rap legend and officials KNOW that he's a hip hop legend and they wouldnt have booked him to play there if they didn't want to hear it. Just like they wouldnt book Garth Brooks there if they didn't want to hear country music.
Because God knows that baggy pants indicate criminal intent.
No chance troublemakers wear Dockers and Doc Marten's.

Dottefan 06-08-2009 10:02 AM

The Power and WHITE district is a joke..I never felt comfortable down there and never will. Its funny how Kansas city urban core tax money partially paid to build a place that the urban community is not wanted, Just so some suburban folks can feel comfy from the big bad black man and his jungle music..what a ****ing joke. The same company that built POWER AND WHITE district has already been sued behind these same issues in Kentucky and lost. If they want to build some shit like this and keep us out, at least build it in YOUR OWN ****ING COMMUNITY AND NOT IN OURS.

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5824624)
I think they heard or saw something that made them feel uncomfortable.

What's that based on Deberg?

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottefan (Post 5824631)
The Power and WHITE district is a joke..I never felt comfortable down there and never will. Its funny how Kansas city urban core tax money partially paid to build a place that the urban community is not wanted, Just so some suburban folks can feel comfy from the big bad black man and his jungle music..what a ****ing joke. The same company that built POWER AND WHITE district has already been sued behind these same issues in Kentucky and lost. If they want to build some shit like this and keep us out, at least build it in YOUR OWN ****ING COMMUNITY AND NOT IN OURS.

It's ridiculous to play this game about who should and shouldn't be welcome at a development that's being subsidized by many of the baggy pants wearing folk they want to keep out.

Deberg_1990 06-08-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824634)
What's that based on Deberg?

This. I meant in the set, not in the crowd:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5824337)
“They said they didn’t like Skillz’s posture,” Jeff said. “They said he made gang-like signs and grabbed at his genitals.”

So P&L officials wanted him offstage. But Jeff felt it was wrong because Skillz is no gang member. He is a father. His hand gestures were the kind of excited movements you make to get the crowd excited.

He wasn’t cursing or being offensive.

“I was playing Rihanna; she is Top 40,” he says. “If they would have let my set play, they would have known I play everything. I play rock, funk, soul, pop, hip-hop, reggae. I don’t play for a certain genre, race or gender. I play for music lovers.”

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5824640)
This. I meant in the set, not in the crowd:

I think that might have a grain of truth to it, but that would reinforce the theory that these anachronistic ideas about urban culture is problematic.

Skillz has never run afoul of the law as an artist.
And he doesn't, at all, identify with the gangster reality-based Rap contigent that dominates Top 40 corporate radio.

That simply doesn't fit his personality.

Brock 06-08-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottefan (Post 5824631)

LMAO Having trouble understanding economic reality?

Lzen 06-08-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824626)
Given your previous comment about Black people who've found a way to circumvent the tax system...I'm not sure you're seeing much of anything. Seems to me that there's a huge tree in your line of sight. And that tree...is called ignorance.

I'm not a hoodlum. I'm a law-abiding taxpaying citizen of Kansas City.
And many of the other people decrying the imbalanced handling of patrons in a taxpayer-funded development are just like me.

Because God knows that baggy pants indicate criminal intent.
No chance troublemakers wear Dockers and Doc Marten's.

Yeah, that whole tax statement was pretty dumb.

As far as dress, we have a club here in Topeka that plays country. Wife likes country and so she has dragged me there. I was wearing a Chiefs jersey and they would not let me in the place. I was like "screw this" and we left. They apparently have a similar type of dress code. But if it were simply a racist policy, would I have been affected?

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5824652)
LMAO Having trouble understanding economic reality?

The economic reality is that that eyesore is already suffering from revenue shortfalls and will eventually fail if things don't change.

CoMoChief 06-08-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824626)
Because God knows that baggy pants indicate criminal intent. No chance troublemakers wear Dockers and Doc Marten's.

The general point I am trying to make is.... the ones calling the P&L officials racist are the ones who choose to present themselves as thugs, and they want to bring in that kinda lifestyle into the district. And props for them not wanting that......I dont think anyone wants that. It causes trouble.

Can someone dressed nice and looks presentable cause crime? Can they too in fact shoot someone? Of course they can. Me, you and anyone can do that. But is it likely? No. If you're a bouncer at a club who are you gonna watch more closely? Who do you generally think is more likely to cause trouble? The person wearing a nice shirt n pants who looks the part of having a good time on a Sat night, or the person walking in with a wife beater, underwear showing out from his ass, cornrows, hat tilted sideways, and his body head to toe in tats. Looked like he had just come from Troost and Prospect.

wutamess 06-08-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5824610)
I call it how I see it. Bottom line is KC PL District doesn't want it to become another Westport for obvious reasons.

This isn't racial profiling. I went to PL one Sat night and at the entrance they were telling a group of thugs they couldnt come in because of what they were wearing. They had their pants sagged down with their asses hanging out, wife beaters, and red tilted hats all the same color. These hoodlums are the ones that are calling out P&L people racists. The people complaining about this are the ones that come out of the bad parts of town, claiming that city officials are trying to keep them away by having dress code requirements. You know what? If you dont wanna change out of your gang attire then go somewhere else that allows it (Westport).

There's nothing racist about it. No one is telling them they have to wear those kind of outfits. They CHOOSE to wear that kinda clothing. P&L is trying to stop trouble before it begins. It's been proven over and over again. People like that cause trouble at large gatherings like at late night clubs etc.

Had they come in with jeans just a regular shirt they would have been fine, but the culture they want to bring into that place isn't allowed. It isn't a racist thing as they choose what they want to look like. Put on some clothes that actually makes you look like you give a shit about life and there isn't any problem. The dress code is nothing more than a step to prevent certain issues from ever happening. They never once said "blacks can't come to P&L." There are a lot of african americans that go there. They just dont want any of the gang like activity or atmosphere to even step foot into the place which I totally agree with. The same goes for the white trash that want to present themselves in that manner as well. P&L doesn't want it there, and that's comepletely up to them.

As far as the Jazzy Jeff, I don't really believe his claim in stating they didn't want him to play Hip hop, he's a rap legend and officials KNOW that he's a hip hop legend and they wouldnt have booked him to play there if they didn't want to hear it. Just like they wouldnt book Garth Brooks there if they didn't want to hear country music.

Nice attempt at covering up ignorance. But you've failed miserably.

You implied that the ones complaining dont pay taxes as if all blacks that complain are on gov assistance. or blacks in that area dont pay taxes. im on my mobile and dont really continuing on your ignorance at the moment
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5824657)
Yeah, that whole tax statement was pretty dumb.

As far as dress, we have a club here in Topeka that plays country. Wife likes country and so she has dragged me there. I was wearing a Chiefs jersey and they would not let me in the place. I was like "screw this" and we left. They apparently have a similar type of dress code. But if it were simply a racist policy, would I have been affected?

It's not a perfect storm.
Any such code, discriminatory or otherwise, will always affect those for which it was not intended. That's the nature of the beast.

DaneMcCloud 06-08-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824452)
You simply don't invest $500,000 into a soundsystem without also putting safety features in place to protect it. Compressors, limiters, etc. I'm sorry, but after having 12 hours to circle the wagons that was the lamest excuse he could've come up with.

$500k??????? In a club sound system??????? How big is this place?

And IF (and I just cannot and do not believe that figure) they somehow spent $500k on a sound system, I hardly think they could push it to the point of destruction.

$500k? That's highly unlikely.

PS - Compressors and limiters would do nothing but alter the sound. They would not stop the speakers from being blown. Furthermore, all high end, digitally powered speakers and subs have automatic shut-offs, making this excuse moot.

Consistent1 06-08-2009 10:21 AM

This sounds like a stupid deal to me. I have never been there given that I live in Illinois. I do know one thing that is true. There is always the possibility of a certain element that causes problems, and really does not purchase much. At least most of the white trash type fools are drinkers....haha. All joking aside, it is unfortunate that stuff like that has to happen. BTW, Jazzy Jeff is a hip-hop legend.....alright....if you say so.

blaise 06-08-2009 10:22 AM

They finally took down DJ Jazzy Jeff.