ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Best Coach Ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240122)

MOhillbilly 01-11-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7345913)
Bill Walsh and Belichick are neck and neck IMO...

but a good arguement was made for gibbs, except he didn't do well in the latest stint.

those teams were pretty damn decent.

milkman 01-11-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7346037)
I would put Noll and Walsh ahead of him for sure. I wasn't around for Brown or Lombardi, but the league wasn't as big or as competitive back then maybe, IMO.

Until the salary cap and free agency era, teams could hold onto players for as long as they wanted them.

The dynasties of the 60s, 70s and 80s were teams that had to contend with other great teams.

And because the talent wasn't stretched so far, even the bad teams weren't as pathetic as the bad teams today.

KurtCobain 09-12-2011 08:33 PM

And the best Quarterback ever.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 7903735)
And the best Quarterback ever.

Bill Belichick is the greatest QB ever?

KurtCobain 09-12-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 7903809)
Bill Belichick is the greatest QB ever?

Not even a question.

kysirsoze 09-12-2011 08:51 PM

Too bad he had to cheat. Makes it difficult to know how legitimately great he is.

DonTellMeShowMe 09-12-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 7345448)
I'm taking Bill Walsh.

\thread

KurtCobain 09-12-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7903835)
Too bad he had to cheat. Makes it difficult to know how legitimately great he is.

Regardless he won three superbowls and started Tom Brady.

Backwards Masking 09-12-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Yep. And the tuck rule, though out of his control, mars one of the rings in the eyes of some.

I often wonder how legitimately great Jimmy Johnson would have been if he had stayed on in Dallas a few more years instead of getting canned after 2 straight rings. The team he built won another won without him. And although the 9ers were damn good the year in between, Jimmy may have been able to make the difference in that championship and could have easily won 4 straight. We'll never know thanks to Jerry Jones.

I guess he did have that awful stint in Miami though.

Amnorix 09-12-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes:

Ace Gunner 09-12-2011 09:02 PM

Bill Walsh

kysirsoze 09-12-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7903887)
:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. I'd probably marginalize something like that, too. If the Chiefs finally dragged themselves out of the shitter and won a few SBs, I wouldn't want to hear that shit.

I'm not going to start a debate about how impactiful it was. That's immaterial. To some level, however, he cheated. That tarnishes his legacy at least enough to say he isn't the best ever. I'm not saying he isn't great.

Ace Gunner 09-12-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 7903882)
Yep. And the tuck rule, though out of his control, mars one of the rings in the eyes of some.

I often wonder how legitimately great Jimmy Johnson would have been if he had stayed on in Dallas a few more years instead of getting canned after 2 straight rings. The team he built won another won without him. And although the 9ers were damn good the year in between, Jimmy may have been able to make the difference in that championship and could have easily won 4 straight. We'll never know thanks to Jerry Jones.

I guess he did have that awful stint in Miami though.

JJ timed his exit perfect. They tanked.

Backwards Masking 09-12-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 7903921)
JJ timed his exit perfect. They tanked.

LMAO he sure was smart wasn't he!

Amnorix 09-12-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7903909)
Roll your eyes all you want. I'd probably marginalize something like that, too. If the Chiefs finally dragged themselves out of the shitter and won a few SBs, I wouldn't want to hear that shit.

I'm not going to start a debate about how impactiful it was. That's immaterial. To some level, however, he cheated. That tarnishes his legacy at least enough to say he isn't the best ever. I'm not saying he isn't great.

When guys like Bill Cowher (who we repeatedly beat in the playoffs), Jimmy Johnson and such say "you gotta be kidding me, this is no big deal, then yeah, it's no big deal. It's something for Patriots haters to glom onto.