ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto The Thinking of Purchasing A Used Car Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274709)

Chiefshrink 07-22-2013 09:17 PM

Do the 'crossover thing' SUVs are far more expensive in taxes and insurance. DC is making damn sure of that. Better gas mileage anyhow.:thumb:

Hammock Parties 07-22-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9828269)
Cadillac CTS

I've been thinking about picking up a used one on the cheap. They depreciate pretty fast it seems.

Pluses/minuses?

Eleazar 07-22-2013 09:26 PM

I had a 2004 GC and while it was usually running, it was notorious for needing small repairs every week it seemed like. The only thing that was quality on those trucks was the engine. The rest of the vehicle rotted away around it... eventually it developed electrical problems so I bailed on it.

Eleazar 07-22-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9828348)
I've been thinking about picking up a used one on the cheap. They depreciate pretty fast it seems.

Pluses/minuses?

RWD, depending on where you live.

Simply Red 07-22-2013 09:48 PM

My new car is stupid fast - I don't drive like a douche - but if someone wants to step up to the mic, they better be ready. I had my first challenger en route to work on Friday - G37 - I embarrassed him, I felt bad for him. It was a downright country rape job.

Frosty 07-23-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9827922)
The wife and I almost bit on a Honda Pilot for her on eBay this weekend. I hesitated because I've never done the eBay thing for a car. It was through a dealer, but still just seems odd to me. I also wonder how they get these cars with 12k miles on them. Doesn't make much sense.

The 2 year old Forester I bought with 14.5K miles on it was a lease return. As mentioned, there are a lot of reasons people trade in low mileage cars.

I will also say that low miles isn't always a good thing. My sister-in-law has a five year old Civic with barely 28K miles on it. However, 100% of those miles have been hard-driven city miles. She sold her last Civic with the same kind of miles to someone I knew and they had a ton of problems with that thing later on. I wouldn't touch her car, despite being a Honda and having low miles.

For Dayze, I would definitely consider the Outback. You get the looks of a SUV but the feel of a car. Subarus seem to require more maintenance than other cars (you have a major service every 30K miles, for example) but if you do it, they seem to last forever.

Mr_Tomahawk 07-23-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9828318)
Well as long as your commute doesn't involve pesky little things like merging on the freeway you should be fine.

Would I lose MPG by going up to the v6?

Frosty 07-23-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9828721)
Would I lose MPG by going up to the v6?

For the 2011 Rangers with manual transmissions (couldn't find official ratings for autos)

Quote:

EPA estimated fuel economy is 22 mpg city/27 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined with the manual and 19/24/21 with the automatic.
Here's a short thread on Edmunds talking about Ranger mpg

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f155b32/0

It looks like most people with the 4.0L V6 get 2ub-20's mpg.

Frosty 07-23-2013 07:48 AM

Also, my wife's parents have an extended cab Colorado 2wd pickup with the 5 cylinder engine and auto tranny and get mid to upper 20's. It has been a trouble free rig for them so you might look that direction, too.

mr. tegu 07-23-2013 07:56 AM

I have an old 1997 Acura Integra. That thing had all the orginal belts, cables, etc. until about two years ago. Those Honda engines are definitely reliable.

Mr_Tomahawk 07-23-2013 08:02 AM

So I guess I should ask...

What small pickup out there gets the best MPG?

Again, looking for small pickup, rwd, automatic. Not looking to spend a lot...just want something to get me to and from work...and sometimes haul the trash in the back.

Ranger...s10...sonoma...? Who has the best MPG?

mr. tegu 07-23-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9828752)
So I guess I should ask...

What small pickup out there gets the best MPG?

Again, looking for small pickup, rwd, automatic. Not looking to spend a lot...just want something to get me to and from work...and sometimes haul the trash in the back.

Ranger...s10...sonoma...? Who has the best MPG?

If MPG is your biggest concern, a truck probably isn't the way to go.

Also, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+mpg+in+a+small+pickup+truck

Mr_Tomahawk 07-23-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9828783)
If MPG is your biggest concern, a truck probably isn't the way to go.

Also, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+mpg+in+a+small+pickup+truck

Sorry you wasted your time.

That isn't what I'm looking for.

Dayze 07-23-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9827520)
Small sample size, but the 2 or 3 people I have known with Grand Cherokees have all had problems with them. I owned a Wrangler that gave me no issues. I bought another Wrangler about a year and a half ago and returned it the next day because the electrical system went completely apeshit literally as I was driving the thing home.

I currently own an Xterra. It wasn't my first choice, but when I returned the Jeep it was sitting there and I could afford to pay cash for it. It's got about 80k and runs great. In fact it's the best car ever made. Wanna buy it? :titus:

:hmmm:
we were going to look at one tonight, as a matter of fact. about the same mileage etc.

El Jefe 07-23-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9827798)
Just buy a ****ing Honda. Most reliable cars on the planet.

And if you don't believe me, ask a mechanic. Typically they'll tell you the cars they see in the shop the least are Hondas.

LOL, don't ask this mechanic. Because the Accord, Pilot and Odyssey keep me employed.