ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2019 Cap Space (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320071)

DJ's left nut 01-03-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14004946)
Paying Ford around 17m and Justin Houston 21m isn't very sustainable. They're gonna have to do something about that.

They could stop pissing away picks on guys like Breeland Speaks and maybe see if they can find some actual use for Kpassagnon.

But honestly I'm not sure they have any choice but to bring Ford and Houston back next year. They put a lot of draft capital at those other 2 stiffs and pretty much can't get anything from either of them apart from Speaks occasionally setting an edge competently. **** that guy is slow.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14004946)
Paying Ford around 17m and Justin Houston 21m isn't very sustainable. They're gonna have to do something about that.

Not sustainable but they can do it in 2019. Still, I’d like to see a pay cut from Houston and the Berry situation has to get figured out.

I think you keep both Ford and Houston in 2019, look to upgrade the rest of the defense primarily through the draft, and then figure out 2020 after next season.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:32 PM

Speaks is weird—he hasn’t shown a ton but at the same time he clearly has gotten better over the course of the year and I think he has the right mindset to really improve. I wonder what the offseason plan is for him, but I’m assuming he’s expected to shed some weight.

Sassy Squatch 01-03-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14005068)
Speaks is weird—he hasn’t shown a ton but at the same time he clearly has gotten better over the course of the year and I think he has the right mindset to really improve. I wonder what the offseason plan is for him, but I’m assuming he’s expected to shed some weight.

He could shed 100lbs and he'd probably still be slow as ****.

DJ's left nut 01-03-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14005060)
Not sustainable but they can do it in 2019. Still, I’d like to see a pay cut from Houston and the Berry situation has to get figured out.

I think you keep both Ford and Houston in 2019, look to upgrade the rest of the defense primarily through the draft, and then figure out 2020 after next season.

Good luck on 'figuring the Berry situation out'...

Dude's gonna get surgery in the off-season and we won't be able to cut him while injured. A veteran player under contract with a football injury has to be given an injury settlement to cut him. That injury settlement is almost always going to be some massive percentage of his base salary.

Given that $3 million of Berry's base is already guaranteed for 2019 and another $7+ million of it guarantees at the start of the league year, they're essentially going to be on the hook for $10 million of his base salary in 2019 either way as soon as Berry inevitably goes under the knife.

Dude played the Chiefs like a fiddle, man...

DJ's left nut 01-03-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Has he?

I sure haven't seen it that way. Guy's just getting stonewalled every time he's come in. And that's without double teams and with fresh legs.

I haven't seen a shred of development from him this year.

You can say 'weird' but I'm gonna stick with 'bad'.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14005077)
Has he?

I sure haven't seen it that way. Guy's just getting stonewalled every time he's come in. And that's without double teams and with fresh legs.

I haven't seen a shred of development from him this year.

You can say 'weird' but I'm gonna stick with 'bad'.

I’m not saying he’s good—I’m just saying he looks better to me now than he did in the preseason, for certain.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:49 PM

Here’s the 2019 projected Chiefs draft choices:

- 1st
- 2nd
- 2nd (LAR)
- 3rd
- 5th
- 6th
- 6th (comp/Bennie Logan)
-7th (SF)

That’s a decent set of picks to work with. I’m sure Veach will make a trade or two, but as it stands, that’s 8 chances to find cheap pieces for the roster. It’s been said a lot but this draft is going to be critical for KC.

New World Order 01-03-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

He looked like an all-pro vs Jax.

New World Order 01-03-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14005092)
Here’s the 2019 projected Chiefs draft choices:

- 1st
- 2nd
- 2nd (LAR)
- 3rd
- 5th
- 6th
- 6th (comp/Bennie Logan)
-7th (SF)

That’s a decent set of picks to work with. I’m sure Veach will make a trade or two, but as it stands, that’s 8 chances to find cheap pieces for the roster. It’s been said a lot but this draft is going to be critical for KC.

They need to blow one of those seconds, move up in the first and take a stud corner, safety or MLB

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 14005096)
They need to blow one of those seconds, move up in the first and take a stud corner, safety or MLB

If you LOVE said player that is available, then absolutely. Otherwise, they should either sit on the picks they have or even trade back from R1 and get more picks.

Sassy Squatch 01-03-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14005098)
If you LOVE said player that is available, then absolutely. Otherwise, they should either sit on the picks they have or even trade back from R1 and get more picks.

Absolutely no trading out of round one. The 5th year option alone is worth staying right where we are. If we would've just stood pat and drafted Chris Jones where we were, we have another year of cost control. Instead, we acquired pick 104 and 178 and took Parker Ehinger and DJ White. ****. That.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-03-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14005100)
Absolutely no trading out of round one. The 5th year option alone is worth staying right where we are.

If the Chiefs are picking between 29-32 and they don’t love any of the players available, but they like the depth of the draft and can get an early 2nd + an extra 3rd in a trade, that’s hard to pass on.

You’d be looking at 5 picks in rounds 2 & 3–that’s a lot of opportunities to find cheap starter level players.

BryanBusby 01-03-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14005059)
They could stop pissing away picks on guys like Breeland Speaks and maybe see if they can find some actual use for Kpassagnon.

But honestly I'm not sure they have any choice but to bring Ford and Houston back next year. They put a lot of draft capital at those other 2 stiffs and pretty much can't get anything from either of them apart from Speaks occasionally setting an edge competently. **** that guy is slow.

You're probably right on that. I think half the battle is getting competent coaching on the Defense.

I'm not ready to write Speaks or Kpass off.

Prison Bitch 01-03-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14005105)
If the Chiefs are picking between 29-32 and they don’t love any of the players available, but they like the depth of the draft and can get an early 2nd + an extra 3rd in a trade, that’s hard to pass on.

You’d be looking at 5 picks in rounds 2 & 3–that’s a lot of opportunities to find cheap starter level players.

Just as often it’s an easy way to collect junk