ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Official discussion thread on Andy’s late game conservative play calling (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326825)

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-19-2019 10:13 AM

Some people watched a different game than me last night... We got up by 14 by exploiting the Chargers defense with half time adjustments. The Chargers then adjusted to this, coupled with Fisher and LDT being gassed from not playing, and we had zero time and no established pocket when we tried to throw. We were also down to one running back. Reid, rightly so last night, tried to shorten the game and hold on to the lead. This was the correct decision with last night circumstances. I am talking about last night. Last week, Reid was very aggressive vs. the Titans with the lead, you may not like the calls, but they were aggressive. Last night, even though he tried to shorten the game, he was still aggressive on 3rd and 3. The play had 2 routes with Kelce and I believe Hardman, one at the sticks and one 5 yards behind. Mahomes also was rolling with the option to run. Our line didn't execute and the play didn't work as was the case for most of the 4th quarter. It's hard to run plays when you can't block up front, especially anything down field. The calls to the back in the flat were good plays based on the D and their upfield rush. Mahomes missed one and one was tipped. But hey, bitchers gotta bitch.

notorious 11-19-2019 10:20 AM

Once again, don't use last night to defend him when this has been a problem HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Yes, Chargers made some good plays, and Mahomes ****ed up. He even snapped the ball with 17 seconds left on the clock with just under 3 minutes left. That all happened, but let's not act like last night has been the reason for Reid's history.

FloridaMan88 11-19-2019 10:37 AM

The Chiefs are ranked 23rd (tied with the Jets and Bengals) in fourth quarter points scored per game so this is not just a one game issue that can be attributed to field conditions, altitude, etc.

Prison Bitch 11-19-2019 10:38 AM

BRC is winning the debate.

Aspengc8 11-19-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 14607831)
No doubt.

Hire an extra guy to script the first x plays in the game. Andy needs to script 15 plays to call when the game is in a high leverage situation late in the game. He is brilliant. Trust the process when it matters. Don't read that GD menu; nothing good comes from it.

JFC you don't script anything past the opening drive. A lot of teams don't even script the first drive.

chiefzilla1501 11-19-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14608360)
The Chiefs are ranked 23rd (tied with the Jets and Bengals) in fourth quarter points scored per game so this is not just a one game issue that can be attributed to field conditions, altitude, etc.

And that is a trend that continued from last year when we were destroying teams in the first half and consistently let teams back into the game, then magically turned the offense on again when the game got close. It is a game management thing. We can make all the excuses in the world. Hell, Marty stopped playing Marty ball when he was in San Diego and still found ways to lose. I am a sucker but I still think Andy Reid can overcome that and it starts with putting games away with our qb. I get that our qb wasn't at his best yesterday and our OL was a dumpster fire. But id still prefer that our battered offense win games for us instead of our defense. Rivers bailed us out yesterday.

Perhaps Reid had good reasons and yesterday was purely an execution thing. I just find it hard to believe an offense this dominant can be this bad protecting the lead unless it was an issue with mentality and approach. It's always something... It's injuries, or the defense figured us out, or it's special teams mistakes, or it's all on Sutton or spags, or it's execution, or it's right playcalling that didn't work out. We have consistently sucked at protecting leads under Reid and I don't think it's because we get unlucky over and over and over again.

fan4ever 11-19-2019 10:52 AM

In a sick kind of masochistic way I kind of wanted LA to win...a wake up call for fat boy...except for the fact that fat boy ain't never wakin' up...ever.

While I'm whippin' on fat boy, what ever happened to the inventive play calling we saw last year? A lot of misdirection, movement, etc? Maybe Andy's saving it for the playoffs.

Marcellus 11-19-2019 10:57 AM

24-3 against he AFCW since 2015, better than NE record against the AFCE.

We didn't lose in the AFCCG because Reid was too conservative, you guys need to chill the **** out.

kysirsoze 11-19-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14608160)
This is an ignorant take.

Play calling was conservative most of the game after they adjusted. They had to. No Tyreek, field ****ed, OL dumpster fire.

Andy called fine plays and All 22 will vindicate.

I agree with the OP in general, but this week is a bad time to make the case for the reasons you mentioned. Add in Mahomes being off and I wasn't mad about the conservative calls late. Most weeks, though, I'm screaming and it is a big concern for me going forward.

O.city 11-19-2019 11:14 AM

I think some of it was actually because of Pat. He was leaving some clean pockets and not stepping up when he had the chance early, looked a little skiddish. He's been doing that a bit lately, not a fan.

Stay in the pocket, slide around, step up, make throws.

Imon Yourside 11-19-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14608257)
My biggest issue with it is that it relies on our weakness (defense) rather than our strength (offense). Yes, you could argue that the field conditions played a role last night, and the OL certainly wasn't giving Patrick much time to work. But still - we're up by 15 in the 3rd quarter and we're already going into a shell. That seems...extreme. And he does it frequently.

Zeggactly, We usually lose these type of games. Yes we won last night so maybe our defense is coming together but I certainly wouldn't count on it. We NEVER seem to be able to put teams away. I'll give people the officials trying to keep it close as that's a given, still the way we react to it is go into don't hurt me mode.

Wallcrawler 11-19-2019 11:22 AM

One would think that since the offense is THE ONLY ****ING THING ANDY REID PAYS ANY ATTENTION TO ON THIS FOOTBALL TEAM, they should be able to close out a ****ing game.

Nope. He turtles up, and more heinous, takes the ball out of Pats hands.

The dude was 5k yards 50 TD to 12 picks. He's thrown ONE true interception this year, and people are grilling him to "just take what's there more."

**** that. I saw over a half decade of checkdowns from Chiefs qbs.

You dont get to 5k and 50 "taking what's there.". You let the mvp do what he ****ing does, and make superhuman throws.

You're telling Superman he really needs to try to be more like Clark Kent. Its ****ing insane.

Andy needs to simply go hands off at the 6 minute mark of the 4th. Let Pat run the offense, and call the plays. Manning did the shit for years, and Mahomes is more than capable.

Its the ONLY way this team will ever close out games is to just take Andy out of the equation.

If you can't swim, keep your fat ass out of the pool.

Imon Yourside 11-19-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14608400)
And that is a trend that continued from last year when we were destroying teams in the first half and consistently let teams back into the game, then magically turned the offense on again when the game got close. It is a game management thing. We can make all the excuses in the world. Hell, Marty stopped playing Marty ball when he was in San Diego and still found ways to lose. I am a sucker but I still think Andy Reid can overcome that and it starts with putting games away with our qb. I get that our qb wasn't at his best yesterday and our OL was a dumpster fire. But id still prefer that our battered offense win games for us instead of our defense. Rivers bailed us out yesterday.

Perhaps Reid had good reasons and yesterday was purely an execution thing. I just find it hard to believe an offense this dominant can be this bad protecting the lead unless it was an issue with mentality and approach. It's always something... It's injuries, or the defense figured us out, or it's special teams mistakes, or it's all on Sutton or spags, or it's execution, or it's right playcalling that didn't work out. We have consistently sucked at protecting leads under Reid and I don't think it's because we get unlucky over and over and over again.

It's probably going to take another heart wrenching punch to the gut playoff loss or two but maybe he'll come around.

Imon Yourside 11-19-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14608445)
I think some of it was actually because of Pat. He was leaving some clean pockets and not stepping up when he had the chance early, looked a little skiddish. He's been doing that a bit lately, not a fan.

Stay in the pocket, slide around, step up, make throws.

I definitely noticed a few plays where he should have stepped up but basically created a throwaway by getting out of the pocket. Now if that saves him from getting killed i'm ok with it.

Hammock Parties 11-19-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 14608465)
Nope. He turtles up, and more heinous, takes the ball out of Pats hands.

Not what happened.

Ball was in his hands.

Pat messed up, and when he didn't, the OL did.

Andy called two great plays that got the back wide open in space and Mahomes ****ed up.

So then he called a pass with Kelce as the first read, and he was covered, and Mahomes had no time, and sack.

But I give Reid a TON of credit for PUTTING THE GAME IN MAHOMES HANDS because he DID and Pat ran for two key first downs - no shitty screens this time, baby!!!

ANDY PUT THAT BALL IN MAHOMES HANDS AND IT PAID OFF!!!

UNTIL IT DIDN'T!

Not. Andy's. Fault.