ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What food(s) do you think are overrated? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313878)

GloryDayz 02-12-2018 11:31 PM

Not bad for a terrorist!!!

LMAO

:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414474)

srvy 02-12-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 13414759)
Texture in a potato salad should be in the form of diced pickles.
Celery is just a mixture of water and hair.

https://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-c...ball-wives.gif

cdcox 02-12-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414421)
You know what’s overrated? ****ing eggs. I lean, they’re fine. But some people love eggs, and I don’t get it.

Can't be a foodie if you don't love eggs.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 04:50 AM

Ramen?, that shit will kill you.

Eggs, omelette's every day, almost, I like them cold for snacks too.

I have a friend who gives me duck eggs and dammed I am hooked. If you ever get the chance, go for it.

Duck = left
https://boulderlocavore.com/wp-conte...9/DSC_0300.jpg

I won't eat store bought eggs , I want fresh bright deep yellow/ orange yokes and tight albumen not runny.

http://www.communitychiropractic.org...arisontext.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZAHnbleSXA4/hqdefault.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13414461)
I'm no over the top lover of eggs, but eggs have a lot value. I ate a LOT of them in college, they were cheap, easy, and versatile. I made it through college without eating a single packet of Ramen. Eggs were my poverty meal.

On a side note, my wife is an uber egg snob.

She has to have a 2 eggs over medium, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 slices of cheese. Sausage is good but optional. Then she needs to use the toast to dab up the yolk.

If she overcooks the eggs, she throws a giant hissy fit. Like throwing pans all over the kitchen and shit. If the toast gets cold...same shit. Hell one time I got up early and made her and the girl some scrambled eggs. She said she'd make her own. I said, "wait, what? You'd rather cook your own stuff than eat what I made you?" "Yeah, I guess so"

There are 20 Indian restaurants in Alaska?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414465)
I lived off fried eggs and toast through my first couple years of college.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:15 AM

That looks fantastic!!!

I sent the pics to my local butcher who smokes their bacon, She wanted to know if you were single. She said to send you a few pictures.
You can tell she's into bacon.

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=5B17661E

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...ea&oe=5B255FE8

oh and I told you it's pricey
http://edibleindy.ediblecommunities....?itok=_pDEuxbt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414474)

Fire Me Boy! 02-13-2018 05:23 AM

What food(s) do you think are overrated?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over Yonder (Post 13414707)
WOAH!! :drool:

That is awesome!! Where do you get your fresh side? Does somebody you know butcher?

One of those pics just may become my screen saver :drool:

Thanks. I usually buy at Costco. I do have a local source now, so the next will be that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13414864)
That looks fantastic!!!

I sent the pics to my local butcher who smokes their bacon, She wanted to know if you were single. She said to send you a few pictures.

You can tell she's into bacon.

Heh. She’s cute, but I’m married. ROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13414861)
Ramen?, that shit will kill you.

Eggs, omelette's every day, almost, I like them cold for snacks too.

I have a friend who gives me duck eggs and dammed I am hooked. If you ever get the chance, go for it.

Duck = left

I won't eat store bought eggs , I want fresh bright deep yellow/ orange yokes and tight albumen not runny.

I usually have farm fresh eggs. Never tried duck. I think the albumin is more indicator of freshness than quality. And I remember reading somewhere that the color of the yolk versus flavor was completely mental. On a blind taste test, there isn’t much difference, supposedly. I do agree farm fresh eggs tend to be richer.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13414187)
The restaurant or smoked jalepenos? I’m with you on the restaurant. But smoked jalapeños are like mana from heaven

Adobo sauce they are packed in is great. My new Mexican grocery is making Adobo sauce and selling what they don't use, Bring your own jar. It's really good.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13413921)
I loooooove coconut. Thai dishes with coconut, coconut cake, coconut shrimp, coconut cream, raw shredded coconut, toasted coconut, coconut candy, coconut cookies, coconut frosting.

It's one food I've never over eaten tho'. So never grew tired of it.

Beer battered coconut shrimp (cooked in cast iron) with homemade orange marmalade sauce. Talk about something great to serve the SO on Valentines day ... Can you say game on?

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 13413786)
Well, yeah I can see that coming from you.

You think a meatloaf is just a bigger meatball with spaghetti sauce over it.

Anyone remember Mama Jasper's meatloaf sandwich??? 1980's at 75th and Wornall in the store, not the restaraunt.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13413663)
Love me some ramen, but what's being served in the restaurants hardly resembles the packaged ramen from college. My favorite usually consists of pork broth with pork belly, soft boiled egg, roasted garlic cloves, mushrooms, and a variety of other things. But there's several different varieties based on regions like any other food.

What I don't understand is how people eat it during the hot summer months. It's a great winter food, imo.

My local Pho sucks, I bet you're blessed up there.

My fav when I can get it. Hu tieu do bien.

https://mom.vn/wp-content/uploads/ph...nam-vang-3.jpg

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13413841)
That's why I stand behind my choice of risotto.

Don't hate it, just don't understand why some foodies wax so rhapsodic about 'perfect' creamy rice.

Because it's a bitch to make (constant attention)... and when it comes with your meal it's only 2 tbs.

Baby Lee 02-13-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13414877)
Because it's a bitch to make (constant attention)... and when it comes with your meal it's only 2 tbs.

I understand that, but if say a PBJ sammich was as difficult to make as surgical heart repair, that wouldn't make the sammich taste any better

TimeForWasp 02-13-2018 06:02 AM

Cracker Jacks

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13414879)
I understand that, but if say a PBJ sammich was a

s difficult to make as surgical heart repair, that wouldn't make the sammich taste any better

And then they **** it up even more....

https://seemomclick.com/wp-content/u...-With-Peas.jpg

I have had some that was great but I'n not a fan.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 06:53 AM

I don't like peas but if you bath them in garlic wine butter sauce, I won't turn my nose away. Yes unsweetened "PEA MILK"

But this, this is ****ing nasty, unless you like ass. Its unsweetened, I'll give it a break but it is healthy stuff.

More expensive than nut milk but 8X the protein. $4.29 for 48OZ. Vendor was in Target and gave me a free coupon. So...

It's being tried in coffee now. Not half and half, but not bad. Later it's going into an orange, grapefruit, banana papaya smoothie and better not **** it up.

Do NOT drink straight up, even with vodka.

https://s13.postimg.org/95iyjwyl3/IM...5_rewind_1.jpg

I can here SAUTO: "WTF is this shit on my cereal" but it tastes nothing like peas:D:D:D

threebag 02-13-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13413559)
Sounds terribly unhealthy but isn't (if you use real butter.)

Isn't that the only option?

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13414867)
Adobo sauce they are packed in is great. My new Mexican grocery is making Adobo sauce and selling what they don't use, Bring your own jar. It's really good.

Oh, man. Chipotles in Adobo sauce is so freaking good. I like to grab the peppers out of there, chop them up until they are little chunks then put them in a bowl, put some melted cream cheese in the bowl, pour the sauce in the bowl. Stir that shit up - and you've got a quick and easy dip. Or just eat them out of the jar/can and use the sauce for something else.

* Upon Edit: You can also add in some sour cream slowly if it looks like it is needed.

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canoworms (Post 13414804)
Can't be a foodie if you don't love eggs.

When you fry eggs do you go high heat and make up crispy eggs with a soft-ish center, or do you use low heat to the point where the 'customer' is going to get eggs that are exactly how they want them? I like high heat, crispy bits, the yolk's just gonna do it's own thing and we'll find out when the white is dark and crispy on the edges.

Fire Me Boy! 02-13-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13414914)
When you fry eggs do you go high heat and make up crispy eggs with a soft-ish center, or do you use low heat to the point where the 'customer' is going to get eggs that are exactly how they want them? I like high heat, crispy bits, the yolk's just gonna do it's own thing and we'll find out when the white is dark and crispy on the edges.

Over hard, broken yolk. The crispy bits are OK, too. **** runny, snot-like yolks.

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13414883)
Cracker Jacks

Not the food part. It's still the same somewhat annoying but tasty treat. It's the prizes that suck. And the prizes only suck compared to how good the prizes used to be.

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414916)
Over hard, broken yolk. The crispy bits are OK, too. **** runny, snot-like yolks.

So you're low heat - but heat it long enough to be thoroughly cooked and crispy bits are an acceptable byproduct of that thorough cooking process.

TimeForWasp 02-13-2018 07:33 AM

candy corn

bricks 02-13-2018 07:41 AM

Anything deep fried to me is overrated

patteeu 02-13-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13414921)
candy corn

LMAO Does that count as food? :)

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 13414925)

Now I know you're just trolling.

listopencil 02-13-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13414921)
candy corn

I will plow through that shit. I have a high tolerance for sweet food wit no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I will only consume them in food orgies where I eat all of them in the house, and then not go get more. But later when I see a huge sale or if someone brings them over...food orgies again.

BucEyedPea 02-13-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 13414925)

Oh yeah, there's another—unless it has coconut.

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13414913)
Oh, man. Chipotles in Adobo sauce is so freaking good. I like to grab the peppers out of there, chop them up until they are little chunks then put them in a bowl, put some melted cream cheese in the bowl, pour the sauce in the bowl. Stir that shit up - and you've got a quick and easy dip. Or just eat them out of the jar/can and use the sauce for something else.

* Upon Edit: You can also add in some sour cream slowly if it looks like it is needed.

Shrimp Cucaratcha cooked in Adobo butter sauce at my local grocery store.

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=5ADA2C80

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13414866)
Thanks. I usually buy at Costco. I do have a local source now, so the next will be that one.

Heh. She’s cute, but I’m married. ROFL If I become single or my SO decides to get me a BD or Valentines Day threesome, she's my choice.

I usually have farm fresh eggs. Never tried duck. I think the albumin is more indicator of freshness than quality. And I remember reading somewhere that the color of the yolk versus flavor was completely mental. On a blind taste test, there isn’t much difference, supposedly. I do agree farm fresh eggs tend to be richer.

You don't get fresh eggs at the store....I think the runny watery part is a sign of freshness more than anything but farm eggs seem to have firmer yokes and tighter albumin even when they get older.

Do you know your eggs??? Duck? Store bought? or Miss Prissy?
https://fryingmineinbutter.files.wor...-scared-86.jpg

If you believe that crock of BS I have the Pot o' gold from the end of the rainbow I'll share with you. You can just take, take it all.

Ducks forage for their food verses eat grain or commercial food. A subtle difference in taste but I like the yokes better and they are bigger (more good fat).
the birds are healthier and the eggs are too
Quote:

1. Duck eggs have twice the nutritional value of a chicken egg and stay fresher longer due to their thicker shell.

2. Duck eggs are richer with more Albumen making cakes and pastries fluffier and richer.

3. Duck Eggs have more Omega 3 fatty acids ..something you can actually see in the salted pickled eggs the Chinese love to eat. Omega 3 is thought to improve everything from Brain health to healthy skin and

4. Duck Eggs are an Alkaline producing food, one of the few foods that leave your body more alkaline which is a great benefit to cancer patients as cancer cells do not thrive in an alkaline environment. Chicken eggs are an acid food leaving your body more acid.

TimeForWasp 02-13-2018 08:55 AM

Have you ever done acid?

frozenchief 02-13-2018 09:35 AM

We have chickens and eat farm fresh eggs all the time. I’d like to think they taste better but that may be my imagination.

Fire Me Boy! 02-13-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13414964)
You don't get fresh eggs at the store....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24e57f1eb3.jpg

Baby Lee 02-13-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13415014)

ROFL ROFL - mental image of walking up to the 'poultry counter' at the supermarket.

1/2 dozen eggs please.

counter manager yells over shoulder to the 'back room' - 'HALF DOZEN!!'

BAWK Bawk bawk!!

BAWKKKKK BAWKK

Fire Me Boy! 02-13-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13415029)
ROFL ROFL - mental image of walking up to the 'poultry counter' at the supermarket.

1/2 dozen eggs please.

counter manager yells over shoulder to the 'back room' - 'HALF DOZEN!!'

BAWK Bawk bawk!!

BAWKKKKK BAWKK

LOL

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13415014)

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL****

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...16&oe=5B225A85

**** these eggs are between 42 and 72 days old by sell by date.

Abba-Dabba 02-13-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13415049)
**** these eggs are between 42 and 72 days old by sell by date.

You want eggs to stay fresh? Don't wash off the chicken shit off the shell until you are ready to use them.

Easy 6 02-13-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 13415113)
You want eggs to stay fresh? Don't wash off the chicken shit off the shell until you are ready to use them.

You can also rub each one with a bit of vegetable oil, it closes up the pores in the shell

redfan 02-13-2018 11:23 AM

Culver's. Culver's burgers is overrated.

Nzoner 02-13-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 13415159)
Culver's. Culver's burgers is overrated.

Absolutely,I do not get the hype on them at all

tooge 02-13-2018 04:13 PM

Wow. So, to the people that had the following over rated. Was it like this?

1. Hot dog. Was it all beef Vienna, on a roll, with all the chicago trimmins?
2. Cabbage. Was it cut in quarters, rubbed with olive oil/salt/pepper, and grilled?
3. onions. Carmelized until they are sweet as hell. Good on about everything
4. baked beans. with several different beans, peppers, and brisket?
5. Mexican food. Really? Was it authentic or smothered in yellow cheese?
6. Sushi. Really good sushi and sashimi are very tasty. If it's fishy, its not good.
7. Hash browns. Were they crispy and golden brown? Or macdonalds
8. Pies. Were they made with fresh picked berries/apples? then shut your whore mouth

And if you don't like Pizza or wings, well, you sir can just **** right off. You poor narrow minded and palated bastards.

raybec 4 02-13-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13415587)

2. Cabbage. Was it cut in quarters, rubbed with olive oil/salt/pepper, and grilled?
6. Sushi. Really good sushi and sashimi are very tasty. If it's fishy, its not good.
8. Pies. Were they made with fresh picked berries/apples? then shut your whore mouth

And if you don't like Pizza or wings, well, you sir can just **** right off. You poor narrow minded and palated bastards.

Oh shit, somebody's about to go in a headlock!

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13415156)
You can also rub each one with a bit of vegetable oil, it closes up the pores in the shell

We used mineral oil on them when the fridge was full and the chickens were in OT mode. I use mineral oil on wood cutting boards so I understand that sealing the egg but I guess veggie oil for the fridge would work. I saw a post where they said soybean oil was best but it was a 5 week test.

It's why duck eggs stay fresher as do farm eggs as their shell is more dense

I am going with the rub them in beeswax technique. LOL

cooper barrett 02-13-2018 08:51 PM

some people say they don't like garlic until you spread it, roasted on cardboard then the lick it clean like a starving cat does a tuna can:D:D:D

if Mexican or Chinese food from a restaurant comes out of a Sysco truck.....:shake::shake::shake::shake:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13415587)

redfan 02-14-2018 08:03 AM

Necco wafers
Those Halloween peanut butter candies that are wrapped in black and orange wax paper
Bit 'o Honey
Valentine heart candies (see Necco wafer)

srvy 02-14-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 13416419)
Necco wafers
Those Halloween peanut butter candies that are wrapped in black and orange wax paper
Bit 'o Honey
Valentine heart candies (see Necco wafer)

I have always respected your postings.

With this post the respect ends:D

Fire Me Boy! 02-14-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13416813)

Every one of those things can burn in an antifreeze AIDS fire.

redfan 02-14-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13416813)

You sound old.

AssEaterChief 02-14-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Everybody hates these…how are they overrated?

Besides those bastards who give them out at Halloween that is..

Fire Me Boy! 02-14-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssEaterChief (Post 13416846)
Everybody hates these…how are they overrated?

Besides those bastards who give them out at Halloween that is..

The orange ones taste like sadness; the black, like despair.

cooper barrett 02-14-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Bit 'o Honey

Both of these are great for the neighbors dog who won't quit barking. Black or orange they all spell "silence" to me

Frosty 02-14-2018 02:03 PM

I got another one from the spaghetti thread - garlic.

I mean some garlic is fine but a lot of recipes go completely overboard on it.

Fire Me Boy! 02-14-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 13416901)
I got another one from the spaghetti thread - garlic.

I mean some garlic is fine but a lot of recipes go completely overboard on it.

That kind of depends on how you treat it. The more you chop it, the stronger it gets. And roasting it tames the flavor. I like to slice it thinly - you still get garlic flavor, but it doesn't take over.

Frosty 02-14-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13416906)
That kind of depends on how you treat it. The more you chop it, the stronger it gets. And roasting it tames the flavor. I like to slice it thinly - you still get garlic flavor, but it doesn't take over.

IMO, there should be a hint of garlic. You shouldn't be able to pick it out as one of the prime flavors. It's amazing how many soup or stew recipes will call for like 4-8 crushed cloves. I'll do maybe 2, if they are small. Just not a huge fan.

cooper barrett 02-14-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 13416914)
IMO, there should be a hint of garlic. You shouldn't be able to pick it out as one of the prime flavors. It's amazing how many soup or stew recipes will call for like 4-8 crushed cloves. I'll do maybe 2, if they are small. Just not a huge fan.

Try roasting it, If you don't know how Google it.

Frosty 02-14-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13416928)
Try roasting it, If you don't know how Google it.

Yeah, we've done that. I wasn't impressed.

cooper barrett 02-14-2018 04:23 PM

was it butter consistency? salt and olive oil???

srvy 02-14-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 13416824)
You sound old.

Im not drooling yet but I am old.

SuperBowl4 02-15-2018 08:35 PM

SEA BASS is the worst

Easy 6 02-15-2018 08:42 PM

Tell ya whats NOT overrated, and thats the roast chicken leftovers I'm fixin to have tonight

With a big fat side of baked stove top stuffing, doctored up with chicken broth, celery, onion, real butter and extra sage... and probably a side salad

Bout to bust my gut with delicious homemade grub for roughly $6 all ingredients included

patteeu 02-15-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13419444)
Tell ya whats NOT overrated, and thats the roast chicken leftovers I'm fixin to have tonight

With a big fat side of baked stove top stuffing, doctored up with chicken broth, celery, onion, real butter and extra sage... and probably a side salad

Bout to bust my gut with delicious homemade grub for roughly $6 all ingredients included

Overrated: Pinching pennies on food. :p

The chicken sounds good though.

Easy 6 02-15-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13419493)
Overrated: Pinching pennies on food. :p

The chicken sounds good though.

I'll go ahead and save you a plateful, a small one...

ChiliConCarnage 02-16-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13419444)

No, I'll tell you what's NOT overrated. Bacon! It's rated incredibly high yet it still manages to pull its weight. I had a very tasty BLT last night

Fire Me Boy! 02-16-2018 07:46 AM

I used some of that pepper bacon in pasta carbonara the other night. It was the bomb dot com.

My local hog farmer guy is delivering three extra bellies when I get my side in a couple weeks! Pancetta is next. And I may take on of those fresh hams and try making a prosciutto.

GloryDayz 02-16-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 13419892)
No, I'll tell you what's NOT overrated. Bacon! It's rated incredibly high yet it still manages to pull its weight. I had a very tasty BLT last night

F'n-A!