ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343036)

jd1020 07-09-2022 11:39 AM

Well there's a couple things different between a couple years ago with Arenado.

1) He would be a free agent and a team wouldn't be giving up prospects to get him on top of his salary.

2) He has answered the "can he hit outside of Coors?" question.

3) He's in the race for MVP.

4) Kris Bryant just got 7/182M.

He'd be pretty stupid to not leverage his opt-out to get a nice sizeable raise and I dont think a meager $11M is gonna do it.

VAChief 07-09-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362208)
They need to take a real swing and fix the front/middle of this rotation. The only place that's going to happen is with Miami. And the pieces match up EXTREMELY well.

That team has 7-8 young arms that could easily be the most high ceiling arm in our system. Many of whom have multiple years of team control.

The obvious target is Pablo Lopez but Lopez does have some significant health issues that make him extremely high risk as your only addition. However, Trevor Rodgers has fallen slowly out of favor as well and has a higher floor and a better health record, even if he doesn't likely have the ceiling Lopez does.

So get 'em BOTH. And yeah, pay for it.

Carlson and Gorman for Lopez and Rodgers? Yeah, I think you make that deal at this point.

Your long-term IF is still Arenado - Winn - Edman - Goldy/Walker

Your OF is still TON - Bader - Donovan

DH becomes Burleson/Yepez as a real nice L/R platoon (just as it should've been to start the season).

Short term you have Donovan at 2b and Yepez/Nootbar in RF while calling up Burleson to suck up some DH at-bats as the long side of a platoon with Pujols.

Your SP is now Lopez - Wainright - Mikolas - Rodgers - Hudson/Matz. If Matz comes back healthy you move Hudson to the bullpen where his shitty fastball command won't hurt you as badly. Liberatore and Thompson have stuff that will play up well in relief and give you two viable lefties. Hicks/Gallegos/Helsley gives you three strong righties as well. Oviedo and Hudson can be the swing guys you've been looking for. Pallante rides the memphis shuttle.

Long-term you still have Graceffo (who's the highest ceiling arm in the system, IMO), Hence and McGreevy as possible 2-3-4 starters.

They HAVE to stop pretending like this is the Cardinals system of 4-5 years ago when they could just keep throwing arms at the problem. The guys they thought would be those guys just aren't getting the job done. Oviedo never developed into a viable starter. Liberatore's stuff is fringe-average as a rotation option.

If they're serious about trying to build a winner, they're going to have to take chances. ****ing off in the margins won't get them anywhere with this sorry ass pitching staff. Trading Burleson for Kluber is just every bit of reeruned and yet that's the kind of nonsense I can see them pursuing because it's less scary.

It's also Moe's MO. So I'm sure it's what will happen.

I like Gorman more long term than you do, but yes that would be an intriguing deal.

More likely we will throw away someone(s) for a Madison Bumgarner or some other has been who once was a name (Lester/Happ 2.0).

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16362233)
Well there's a couple things different between a couple years ago with Arenado.

1) He would be a free agent and a team wouldn't be giving up prospects to get him on top of his salary.

2) He has answered the "can he hit outside of Coors?" question.

3) He's in the race for MVP.

4) Kris Bryant just got 7/182M.

He'd be pretty stupid to not leverage his opt-out to get a nice sizeable raise and I dont think a meager $11M is gonna do it.

You don't think that had already been answered? Maybe not for some teams, but certainly for many.

His 2019 season where he put up an .866 OPS and 20 rd homers (w/ the 'Coors Hangover' weighing that down) was an extremely loud indicator, was it not?

And the 'prospects' the Cardinals gave up weren't for Arenado - they were for the $50 million offset. And even then, they didn't have anything nearing that sort of surplus value.

Bryant's 7/$182 takes him through his age 36 season and included his age 30 season. An Arenado deal wouldn't start until his age 32 season, which is a notably 'cliff' year. Bryant's deal from age 32-36 is 5/$131; substantially less than the 5/$155 I proposed.

Finally - Arenado doesn't have your classic 'old man skills'. The biggest problem with hitters as they age isn't necessarily what they do with the strikes they swing at. When you look at the aging curves, where they REALLY collapse is what they do on balls (rather than strikes) they swing at. The numbers decline substantially. Arenado is not your Big Papi style selective hitter. Arenado is a very aggressive hitter who swings at balls well above league average. Additionally, league average O-Contact rates are around 65% and Arenado's over 70% - also well above league average.

Offensively I don't expect him to age well. 34 is when the wall really comes for those metrics as well. And MLB front offices know all of this stuff as well as I do. I don't see teams falling over themselves to extend him through his age 37/38 seasons. Those aren't going to be pleasant years, IMO.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16362237)
I like Gorman more long term than you do, but yes that would be an intriguing deal.

More likely we will throw away someone(s) for a Madison Bumgarner or some other has been who once was a name (Lester/Happ 2.0).

I don't mind Gorman at all - I'm not giving him away here.

I just don't think there's any way he sticks at 2b (you can see in how he moves; not a natural 'bender') and as a DH, I don't think he's any more valuable to us than Burleson. In fact, I think Burleson may be a better pure hitter. Also, Gorman takes a really aggressive hack - I think he'll have the same kind of long-term injury issues (with those nagging soft-tissue things) that we see from O'Neill. And I figure you'll see a lot of them in his back, which concerns me and further diminishes he chance of staying at 2b.

Moreover, Masyn Winn is an ELECTRIC player. I mean just incredibly dynamic. Lightning fast (like, potential 99th percentile sprint speed), probably the strongest arm in the minors and very soft hands. He could be a GG caliber shortstop the first day he takes the field. And with his approach, a genuine leadoff hitter.

Edman at 2b just makes too much sense long-term. Again; just a premier defensive player. You put those two up the middle defensively and let them run - they're awfully well built for Busch Stadium. It's less about dumping a prospect than it is finding better fits for our talent.

This team is better with Winn - Edman up the middle and Burleson at DH long-term than it is with something weird like Edman - Gorman up the middle and Winn playing outfield I guess?

The pieces just fit better this way.

Archie Bunker 07-09-2022 12:12 PM

According to my scientific scouting and time travel, aka way too much The Show 22, O’Neil is going to fall off a cliff, Bader never really learns to hit much, speed and defense are elite but Carlson always turns into Mickey Mantle around age 27.

Hold on to Carlson, you’re welcome /sarcasm/

Marco Polo 07-09-2022 12:14 PM

Fascinating discussion- love it

jd1020 07-09-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362244)
You don't think that had already been answered? Maybe not for some teams, but certainly for many.

His 2019 season where he put up an .866 OPS and 20 rd homers (w/ the 'Coors Hangover' weighing that down) was an extremely loud indicator, was it not?

And the 'prospects' the Cardinals gave up weren't for Arenado - they were for the $50 million offset. And even then, they didn't have anything nearing that sort of surplus value.

His career outside of Coors mirrored what he did last season at the plate. What he is doing this year is better than anything he ever did in Coors.

Outside of guys that are signing mega deals really early like Acuna, none of these contracts are tradeable. They all come with a huge negative value attached as soon as they are signed. The only player that actually ended with surplus value at the time his contract ended, off the top of my head, was Max Scherzer.

You are way underestimating the power of FA while simultaneously ignoring the hurdles of trading a mega deal and trying to use that as the barometer for what Arenado would fetch on the open market.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 16362258)
His career outside of Coors mirrored what he did last season at the plate. What he is doing this year is better than anything he ever did in Coors.

Outside of guys that are signing mega deals really early like Acuna, none of these contracts are tradeable. They all come with a huge negative value attached as soon as they are signed. The only player that actually ended with surplus value at the time his contract ended, off the top of my head, was Max Scherzer.

You are way underestimating the power of FA while simultaneously ignoring the hurdles of trading a mega deal and trying to use that as the barometer for what Arenado would fetch on the open market.

His career numbers, yes - but his road performance improved year over year and 2019 demonstrated that he was a strong road performer even with the Coors hangover. That was a fine baseline.

Regarding the FA market - how many big spending teams are likely to be in at 3b? The Sox aren't gonna be. The Dodgers are likely to turn to Vargas. The Yankees are likely to turn to Volpe (w/ Peraza seemingly the better fit at SS). The Phillies and Mets are definite considerations but it seems likely that the Phillies are going to make a push for Trae Turner.

But admittedly it only takes 1 team. And maybe that 1 team is the Mets and maybe they offer him 7/$210. And if so - it's important to remember that the Cardinals presently have the best 3b prospect in baseball in their system. A guy who everyone expected to move to the OF this year but who hasn't. And Walker's played a solid 3b all year in Springfield. There's no reason at all to believe he can't stick there at least for the first several years of his career.

If Arenado opts out and frees up a $35 million salary slot and opens up 3b for Donovan for a season while Walker rounds into MLB form - I don't see the Cardinals having any problem with that at all. Walker becomes the long-term 3b solution with Burleson/Yepez as their fallback if Goldschmidt declines or requests a deal into his 40s.

They'll let him walk at that point.

I simply don't see that Arenado trade, which was essentially a salary dump for some fringe prospects, as a 'mega deal' that was loaded with hurdles anything beyond what offering him a big money FA contract would create. If teams weren't eager to acquire him w/ a deal that included 2 additional prime seasons at discount rates, I don't see why they'd be eager to give him the same AAV for 2 extra years at the decline stages of his career.

The Cardinals simply do not go beyond their 'comfort level' and frankly I think they view player value almost identically to me. In the trade discussion thread with Arenado I stated before any deal seemed likely that the Rox were about $50 million upside down in that deal and I said a trade would never get done because they wouldn't eat that kind of money. Well that turned out to be EXACTLY what the Cardinals insisted on and received. The Cardinals are risk averse as hell - but they're rational to a fault. There's nothing 'rational' about offering a an aggressive hitter a 7 year deal into his late 30s.

The Cardinals won't do it and that's fine. I'd rather keep him at responsible numbers but if the Mets or some other bottomless pit franchise want to go beyond that - let them.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker (Post 16362253)
According to my scientific scouting and time travel, aka way too much The Show 22, O’Neil is going to fall off a cliff, Bader never really learns to hit much, speed and defense are elite but Carlson always turns into Mickey Mantle around age 27.

Hold on to Carlson, you’re welcome /sarcasm/

I dumped Carlson for Trent Grisham in The Show 2021 and Carlson never amounted to a damn thing. Bader actually developed into a relatively useful hitter (moreso than Carlson, anyway).

I don't mind a kid learning on the job at all - a learning curve is expected. The problem is that the area where he most struggles (RHP with quality breaking stuff) is really a foundational thing for a corner OFer and it's an area where we've seen essentially zero growth since he came up.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-09-2022 12:48 PM

Haven't even payed attention this year and won't till Mo is gone. Shildt sucked ass but to make him the fall guy and keep mo was the last straw

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 16362279)
Haven't even payed attention this year and won't till Mo is gone. Shildt sucked ass but to make him the fall guy and keep mo was the last straw

The organization has been rotting from the head down for years.

They've become extremely difficult to root for at this point.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-09-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362288)

Exactly. The sum bitch was allowed to pass the blame that's his fault and that's just inexcusable.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 16362296)
Exactly. The sum bitch was allowed to pass the blame that's his fault and that's just inexcusable.

I just loved "Ultimately it's not our decision. We laid out a plan, the plan was deviated, and here we are..."

Jack Flaherty taking the hill before he was ready was 'not our decision'....

Can he refuse a rehab assignment? Yup. Can he refuse an option? No, no he cannot. Not if he doesn't have 5 years of MLB service time. And Jack Flaherty does NOT have 5 years of service time.

So if he wants to refuse his minor league rehab assignment, you activate him and then you OPTION his ass. And you stop his service clock. And given that he's literally 2 days over the necessary requirement for FA after next season, he is absolutely not going to want to see that service clock stopped.

So yes, it was absolutely your decision, you feckless ****. You just didn't want to make it. You didn't want to deal with Flaherty bad-mouthing you on Twitter. You didn't what jack-ass calling you racist or something equally stupid. Or you thought the inevitable grievance hearing sounded too icky to deal with because you believe your own bullshit about being a 'model organization' and think the Cardinals are above playing in that mud.

All you had to do was say "okay - you're refusing a rehab assignment because you insist you're physically sound? Cool - sign here..."

Then you activate him and option his ass back to Memphis the next day. If you're feeling charitable, you tell him what his options are before you go through all that. But you do NOT let a guy like Jack Flaherty hold the organization hostage.

It's absolutely absurd and of course Mozeliak found some way to be a smug prick about it while dodging personal responsibility.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 03:16 PM

Mr Brinks Truck himself gets locked up by a 3-2 hanging curveball in the 9th when all he has to do is put a ball in play to tie it.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 03:22 PM

I'm sure somehow Ollie will blame this all on Knizner.

George Liquor 07-09-2022 03:30 PM

4 runs scored in the last 5 games combined with three shut outs

Impressive, very nice.

BigRedChief 07-09-2022 05:00 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How about Corey Knebel surviving the 9th-inning error?!<br><br>Phillies win again. They&#39;ve held the Cardinals scoreless 27 straight innings. <a href="https://t.co/ARG9fiVfhs">pic.twitter.com/ARG9fiVfhs</a></p>&mdash; NBC Sports Philadelphia (@NBCSPhilly) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1545879808583802881?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigRedChief 07-09-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362415)
Mr Brinks Truck himself gets locked up by a 3-2 hanging curveball in the 9th when all he has to do is put a ball in play to tie it.

we are on the same page with what’s wrong with this franchise and why it continues on that same mediocre path. But, Arenado is not a problem on this team.

You fail 7/10 times, you’re a HOF’r.
You fail 8/10 times, you probably never play MLB.

BigRedChief 07-09-2022 07:39 PM

Mo on the trade deadline in the STL dispatch. Expected but still **** that guy.

Is this a year the team may consider splurging on something it wouldn’t have in other years?

“We’re not going to blow up our model of how we think about player acquisition,” Mozeliak told the Post-Dispatch. “We certainly understand this is a really fun team to be around. Obviously, we’re coming off a tough road trip, but we still believe, as we get healthier, there are some things we could augment that would make us stronger. So that’s how we’ll improve.”

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 07:52 PM

“When [X] comes back, it will be just like making a trade…”

Literally every single year.

What a monumental asshole.

Folks - he really thinks you’re this dumb. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of the BFIB truly are. Cardinal Twitter is full of complete morons.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 07:57 PM

I’m truly in awe of that word salad. Our little boy is all grown up.

Can you imagine him saying “low hanging fruit” these days? Would never happen. Oh he’d give you the same general idea, but he’d wrap it in five paragraphs of flowery nonsense designed to make the rubes go cross eyed before he tells them that they’ll get nothing and like it.

DJ's left nut 07-09-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16362528)
we are on the same page with what’s wrong with this franchise and why it continues on that same mediocre path. But, Arenado is not a problem on this team.

You fail 7/10 times, you’re a HOF’r.
You fail 8/10 times, you probably never play MLB.

No - Nolan isn’t the problem.

But did you realize he’s had a dead even WPA over his last 70 games? It’s one of my favorite rearview mirror reviews of what a player is producing in key spots. It’s not predictive that I’ve ever seen - but it does tell you a bit about the past.

He did this last year as well. Your superstar players have to hit when it matters and for most of this season Arenado has been mediocre in that regard.

raybec 4 07-10-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362621)
No - Nolan isn’t the problem.

But did you realize he’s had a dead even WPA over his last 70 games? It’s one of my favorite rearview mirror reviews of what a player is producing in key spots. It’s not predictive that I’ve ever seen - but it does tell you a bit about the past.

He did this last year as well. Your superstar players have to hit when it matters and for most of this season Arenado has been mediocre in that regard.

Matt Holliday used to infuriate me in this way. He would hit great when nothing was on the line. 25 home runs but 20 of them came when we were winning by 5 or losing by 10.

DJ's left nut 07-10-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16362988)
Matt Holliday used to infuriate me in this way. He would hit great when nothing was on the line. 25 home runs but 20 of them came when we were winning by 5 or losing by 10.

Holliday took a lot of heat for that, yeah. But it was actually unwarranted. His last couple of years were fairly underwhelming in that regard, but from 2009 to 2014, over a 6 season stretch (really 5.5), he racked up nearly 22 WPA. That's 4 points/yr - it's actually exceptional. Goldschmidt is leading the league in the category right now and is likely to end up around 5.5 by season's end.

To average 4/season for around 6 seasons is exceptionally productive and consistent. By comparison, Arenado had 1.8 last season and is on pace for about 1.6 this season.

He's been nowhere close to the reliable offensive difference maker that Holliday was. And that's not to dump on his value - a guy who simply holds serve offensively and is one of the 2 best defensive players at his position in the game is EXTREMELY valuable.

But is that a superstar? Uh.........

Ultimately the game has been on Arenado's bad several times this year - and he hasn't come through with any regularity. He's absolutely been a very good, very valuable player. But he's not without his warts and he's not completely without blame for some of these losses.

You don't make an irrational contract decision to keep the guy if he isn't someone you can count on to come through in those ABs at better than a barely top 50 rate.

BigRedChief 07-10-2022 07:34 PM

He killed our lineup for 2 years. Batted .160. No pop. Now he has 10 HR’s in 20 games.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘Yankees finding ways to get Matt Carpenter&#39;s bat in the lineup’ by <a href="https://twitter.com/eboland11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@eboland11</a> for <a href="https://twitter.com/Newsday?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Newsday</a>: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yankees</a> went from not being able to find enough at-bats for Matt Carpenter to doing whatever they can to keep the ridiculously hot veteran’s bat in the… <a href="https://t.co/KdFwyAOddF">https://t.co/KdFwyAOddF</a> <a href="https://t.co/ALMNpHDrt6">pic.twitter.com/ALMNpHDrt6</a></p>&mdash; New York BBWAA (@NYBBWAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYBBWAA/status/1546225759869624321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJ's left nut 07-10-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16363394)
He killed our lineup for 2 years. Batted .160. No pop. Now he has 10 HR’s in 20 games.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘Yankees finding ways to get Matt Carpenter&#39;s bat in the lineup’ by <a href="https://twitter.com/eboland11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@eboland11</a> for <a href="https://twitter.com/Newsday?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Newsday</a>: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yankees</a> went from not being able to find enough at-bats for Matt Carpenter to doing whatever they can to keep the ridiculously hot veteran’s bat in the… <a href="https://t.co/KdFwyAOddF">https://t.co/KdFwyAOddF</a> <a href="https://t.co/ALMNpHDrt6">pic.twitter.com/ALMNpHDrt6</a></p>&mdash; New York BBWAA (@NYBBWAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYBBWAA/status/1546225759869624321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He just needed that long-term contract to take the pressure off and make him comfortable...

On the seemingly never-ending list of incredibly stupid and wasteful things Mozeliak has done, it's hard to find one obviously worse than extending Matt Carpenter because you thought throwing guaranteed money at him would get him out of a slump.

Moe has made many mistakes borne of corner cutting or being a risk-averse sissy. But they at least had some level of logic to them (wrongheaded though it may be - you could point to marching orders from his skinflint owner to justify them).

But extending Carpenter just...it just never made a lick of sense at all.

BigRedChief 07-11-2022 10:56 PM

St. Louis Cardinals and future Hall of Fame slugger Albert Pujols will participate in the Home Run Derby in Los Angeles.

Just days after being an honorary selection to the All-Star Game, St. Louis Cardinals slugger and future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols will participate in the Home Run Derby, as Katie Woo of The Athletic reported.

raybec 4 07-12-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16364800)
St. Louis Cardinals and future Hall of Fame slugger Albert Pujols will participate in the Home Run Derby in Los Angeles.

Just days after being an honorary selection to the All-Star Game, St. Louis Cardinals slugger and future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols will participate in the Home Run Derby, as Katie Woo of The Athletic reported.

I hope he doesn't embarrass himself. He's earned a nice farewell tour.

Chief Roundup 07-12-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16365673)
I hope he doesn't embarrass himself. He's earned a nice farewell tour.

How could he embarrass himself? He would not be the first player to not hit an HR at the Derby. He is not really getting a farewell tour.

ChiefsCountry 07-13-2022 09:36 PM

Wow Cards were up 6-0. Dodgers came back and won 7-6. I turned it off the sixth inning and watched something else, local news came on and told the score.

kcpasco 07-13-2022 09:40 PM

Sigh. Oli is a bad coach. He wanted to protect Helsley even though the all star break is coming up.

kcpasco 07-13-2022 09:41 PM

Maybe Oli was more concerned about the all star game.

raybec 4 07-13-2022 09:55 PM

The bullpen stinks. Waino pitched around some jams and made a go of it. They really let him down.

DJ's left nut 07-13-2022 10:02 PM

Remember when the last guy had a roster full of guys on their way to the glue factory and cast-offs from the street but still won 17 straight?

He didn't have this version of Goldy. Or Arenado. Or Mikolas. Or Helsley. His young guys weren't playing like Yepez, Donovan and Edman have played for big chunks of this season.

And he won 90 games with that pile of miscreants.

Then we fired him because he had the temerity to point out that wasn't good enough.

**** John Mozeliak.

That's not on Bill Dewitt. Dewitt has his problems, but John Mozeliak's thin skin and frail ego is why Mike Shildt was fired. John Mozeliak is the problem with this organization. He's been given the resources to succeed and squandered them. And after a half-decade of letting his hand-picked window-licking stooge wander the wastelands trying to manage this team, he fell ass-backwards into a career cardinal and loyal organizational soldier who also happened to be an excellent manager.

And he fired him in a fit of pique.

**** John Mozeliak so very, very much.

Marcellus 07-14-2022 07:46 AM

VerHagen was bad before he went on the IL, WTF did they feel the need to bring him up again?

They sent Thompson down to stretch him out to be a starter supposedly? WTF would you do that unless you really ****ed up with your rotation and then don't expect to land jack or shit in a trade?

Yea this organization is run like shit from top to bottom.

VAChief 07-14-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16367634)
VerHagen was bad before he went on the IL, WTF did they feel the need to bring him up again?

They sent Thompson down to stretch him out to be a starter supposedly? WTF would you do that unless you really ****ed up with your rotation and then don't expect to land jack or shit in a trade?

You have to think OM was pissed when they sent Thompson down and Mo activated McFarland who has been pure ass this year. He didn't even warm him up at any time the last two nights despite a depleted bullpen.

If I was OM the next time we fall behind early (on the road), I put McFarland in and pitch him the next 6-7 innings. Just burn the shit out of him.

You can question just about any GM's decisions, they aren't going to be perfect...Veach isn't perfect, far from it...but he is a plus to the organization...Mo is a negative multiplier with his decisions.

We have Dickerson, Verhagen, McFarland all taking up roster spots that they don't deserve. Dickerson flat out cannot hit anything over 95. Hopefully OM will sit him on the bench once TON and Bader are back.

Jewish Rabbi 07-14-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16367634)

Their rotation is ****ed up, and no, they won’t land anyone in a trade (maybe a JA Happ type), so you kinda answered your own question.

DJ's left nut 07-14-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16367836)
You have to think OM was pissed when they sent Thompson down and Mo activated McFarland who has been pure ass this year. He didn't even warm him up at any time the last two nights despite a depleted bullpen.

If I was OM the next time we fall behind early (on the road), I put McFarland in and pitch him the next 6-7 innings. Just burn the shit out of him.

You can question just about any GM's decisions, they aren't going to be perfect...Veach isn't perfect, far from it...but he is a plus to the organization...Mo is a negative multiplier with his decisions.

We have Dickerson, Verhagen, McFarland all taking up roster spots that they don't deserve. Dickerson flat out cannot hit anything over 95. Hopefully OM will sit him on the bench once TON and Bader are back.

Marmol won't do a ****ing thing to upset the apple cart. Ever.

That's why he got hired to begin with.

Marmol will be a good little errand boy. He'll continue to talk about how the organization just needs to get healthy and blame everything that goes sideways on Andrew Knizner.

Ollie Marmol is a yes man and nothing more. He's the field equivalent of Mike Girsch.

VAChief 07-14-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16367895)
Marmol won't do a ****ing thing to upset the apple cart. Ever.

That's why he got hired to begin with.

Marmol will be a good little errand boy. He'll continue to talk about how the organization just needs to get healthy and blame everything that goes sideways on Andrew Knizner.

Ollie Marmol is a yes man and nothing more. He's the field equivalent of Mike Girsch.

The Shildt decision was stupid. I agree Mo wants someone subservient. I’m not sure he will get that fully.

seclark 07-14-2022 03:13 PM

Excellent
sec

Pasta Little Brioni 07-14-2022 04:46 PM

Nah Shildt should have followed MO out the door but shouldn't have been the scapegoat

raybec 4 07-14-2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother (Post 16368554)
Nah Shildt should have followed MO out the door but shouldn't have been the scapegoat

Based on what? Taking a mediocre team to the post season every year?

DJ's left nut 07-15-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16368566)
Based on what? Taking a mediocre team to the post season every year?

I quit trying to have the conversation with him.

Shildt sucked and that's all their is to it. No amount of large numbers or relative rankings will convince him otherwise.

BigRedChief 07-15-2022 03:36 PM

This doesn’t sound good. Arenado sounds like he wants to hang with the home town cool team.

From MLB.com
ST. LOUIS -- After the Dodgers put a major scare into the Cardinals on Tuesday, battled from behind for their 26th comeback victory on Wednesday and then closed the door on the series at Busch Stadium on Thursday, it all looked infinitely familiar to All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado.

It reminded him of last September, when the Cardinals coupled good pitching with good hitting, oozed confidence throughout their lineup and played with a fearlessness while winning 17 games straight.

“That [Dodgers] offense is probably the best offense in the game, right?” asked Arenado following Los Angeles’ 4-0 victory over the Cardinals on Thursday. “So they probably feel like they are never out of any game. We felt like that last year when we were going through our streak -- we were never out of any game. Right now, we’re just kind of grinding.”

George Liquor 07-16-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16370144)
This doesn’t sound good. Arenado sounds like he wants to hang with the home town cool team.

From MLB.com
ST. LOUIS -- After the Dodgers put a major scare into the Cardinals on Tuesday, battled from behind for their 26th comeback victory on Wednesday and then closed the door on the series at Busch Stadium on Thursday, it all looked infinitely familiar to All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado.

It reminded him of last September, when the Cardinals coupled good pitching with good hitting, oozed confidence throughout their lineup and played with a fearlessness while winning 17 games straight.

“That [Dodgers] offense is probably the best offense in the game, right?” asked Arenado following Los Angeles’ 4-0 victory over the Cardinals on Thursday. “So they probably feel like they are never out of any game. We felt like that last year when we were going through our streak -- we were never out of any game. Right now, we’re just kind of grinding.”

Unless there is more to the article I'm not getting that at all, he just stated the obvious.

BigRedChief 07-16-2022 11:15 AM

From Heyman on MLB.com

Juan Soto declined $440M, 15-year offer from Nats and will be available now. A few reasons he declined: 1. Heavy backloading of deal is tantamount to big deferral 2. $29M AAV is seen as old figure in light of Scherzer, other deals 3. Team is likely to be sold so owner unknown.

Why can’t we give him 1/2 billion? What would it take? Walker/O’Neil/Bader and Carlson get us in serious talks?

George Liquor 07-16-2022 11:26 AM

Mo ain't giving anyone 500mil

Even though Busch is now a defacto amusement park.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-16-2022 11:57 AM

I wish the Pirates could give someone $100 million.

MarkDavis'Haircut 07-16-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16362288)

As a Pirates fan, I wish I had your problems.Baseball first world problems.

:(

BigRedChief 07-16-2022 06:50 PM

Can some of you baseball geeks know where to get an answer?

Is Carp doing this because the go into the first two rows of the short porch in RF?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Volume up to hear Matt Carpenter absolutely CRUSH this home run 🔊<br><br>His 12th HR in 30 games.<br><br>🎥 <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://t.co/vAwacyrX7c">pic.twitter.com/vAwacyrX7c</a></p>&mdash; The Athletic MLB (@TheAthleticMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1548455323983261698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 16, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pepe Silvia 07-16-2022 09:45 PM

I knew he was going to tear it up for the Yankees.

BigRedChief 07-17-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16371093)
Can some of you baseball geeks know where to get an answer?

Is Carp doing this because the go into the first two rows of the short porch in RF?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Volume up to hear Matt Carpenter absolutely CRUSH this home run 🔊<br><br>His 12th HR in 30 games.<br><br>🎥 <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://t.co/vAwacyrX7c">pic.twitter.com/vAwacyrX7c</a></p>&mdash; The Athletic MLB (@TheAthleticMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1548455323983261698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 16, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Crush" that ball? It went about 3-5 rows into the stands. Thats probably not even out at Bush?

raybec 4 07-17-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16370144)

From MLB.com

Was there a part of his quote that wasn't in this post? Nothing he says here leads me to the conclusion that he wants to do anything with the Dodgers. They do have an excellent offense.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16370819)
From Heyman on MLB.com

Juan Soto declined $440M, 15-year offer from Nats and will be available now. A few reasons he declined: 1. Heavy backloading of deal is tantamount to big deferral 2. $29M AAV is seen as old figure in light of Scherzer, other deals 3. Team is likely to be sold so owner unknown.

Why can’t we give him 1/2 billion? What would it take? Walker/O’Neil/Bader and Carlson get us in serious talks?

Was exchanging texts with a friend about this today.

I'd think they obviously want Jordan Walker. He's the centerpiece. I'd think Carlson or O'Neill is another must-include piece in that deal. And Masyn Winn probably needs to head to Washington in the deal, too.

That deal doesn't completely strip the Cardinals OF and gives Washington a lot of young potentail to build around.

The question is if DeWitt would greenlight 15 years and 500M. Seems unlikely.

Jewish Rabbi 07-17-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16371283)

I'd think they obviously want Jordan Walker. He's the centerpiece. I'd think Carlson or O'Neill is another must-include piece in that deal. And Masyn Winn probably needs to head to Washington in the deal, too.

That deal doesn't completely strip the Cardinals OF and gives Washington a lot of young potentail to build around.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Mo played kiss ass with the media to make it seem like we’re interested and then boo hoo when someone else gets the deal done.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 16371317)
It wouldn’t surprise me if Mo played kiss ass with the media to make it seem like we’re interested and then boo hoo when someone else gets the deal done.

That’s his usual MO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC_Connection 07-17-2022 01:36 PM

So what's the deal with Matt Carpenter becoming Barry Bonds for the Yankees?

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16371283)

Carlson, Walker, Gorman, Liberatore and McGreevy

I do that. But I’d need a negotiating window because there’s a non-zero chance that Boras just insists on taking his guy to FA and nobody is worth that for a mere 2.4 seasons.

If you can’t get a contract done, take Walker and one of the SPs out of it and I’m still game.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 16371317)

First in line with the next best offer.

Nobody in baseball has a better feel for how much it takes to get a deal done. It allows him to make sure he comes up just an Nth short and still claim he tried.

BigRedChief 07-17-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16371565)
So what's the deal with Matt Carpenter becoming Barry Bonds for the Yankees?

very few of his home runs would be home runs except for the short porch in RF at Yankee stadium.

VAChief 07-17-2022 07:39 PM

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/...-hjerpe-687309

True to form. Passed on Brock Porter the highest HS pitcher on the board with a high ceiling for a lower ceiling college pitcher.

I don’t hate this guy just not sure you couldn’t have got him in the supplemental round.

BigRedChief 07-17-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371768)

I do that. But I’d need a negotiating window because there’s a non-zero chance that Boras just insists on taking his guy to FA and nobody is worth that for a mere 2.4 seasons.

If you can’t get a contract done, take Walker and one of the SPs out of it and I’m still game.

most speculation I’ve seen says Walker, O’Neill, Bader and a 2AA pitching prospect gets it done because Walker is seen as a possible future MVP.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16371892)

True to form. Passed on Brock Porter the highest HS pitcher on the board with a high ceiling for a lower ceiling college pitcher.

I don’t hate this guy just not sure you couldn’t have got him in the supplemental round.

Eh - I like the pick quite a bit. I don't think this is really an amazing draft through the middle of the 1st. And yes, he's a higher floor guy, but it's a REALLY high floor and right now the high majors is a tough spot for the cardinals pitching depth.

I'd probably put Hjerpe immediately ahead of McGreevy. I think he's probably immediately no worst than the #6/7 prospect in the system and with as disappointed as I've been in Liberatore at the big league level, I think there's an argument that he's the #1 pitching prospect in the system.

Now I wouldn't put him there - I think that's Graceffo and Hence may not be far behind. But when considering polish and proximity, Hjerpe may be higher.

It's a fine pick. And when a top prep arm falls like Porter is falling, there's usually a really good reason for it.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16371895)
most speculation I’ve seen says Walker, O’Neill, Bader and a 2AA pitching prospect gets it done because Walker is seen as a possible future MVP.

Gotta think the Mets will be in there with Alvarez and if so, Walker gets cancelled out and then some.

But that's why I think the Cardinals can get this done. After Alvarez, Walker's the best pure hitting prospect in the game right now. And you have to figure the Nats are going to build their package around the best offensive piece they can get.

So that puts the Mets and Cardinals in the drivers seat. We can absolutely overwhelm the Mets package though. Baty and Gorman would wash but beyond that we can start pulling ahead.

Walker/Gorman answers the Mets Alvarez/Baty and we can start to pull away from there.

Jewish Rabbi 07-17-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16371890)
very few of his home runs would be home runs except for the short porch in RF at Yankee stadium.

That’s simply not true, unfortunately.

Jewish Rabbi 07-17-2022 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16371890)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 16371903)
That’s simply not true, unfortunately.

I only see one unicorn on “Would it Dong” and that was one of them on Saturday. Most of the rest of them have been pretty legit.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 07-17-2022 08:02 PM

Hey you Cardinals fans got Cooper Hjerpe.

DJLN - save your criticism. (More so the guy DJLN was responding to)

He is Chris Sale 2.0. His ceiling is plenty high. He went to Oregon State University.

I'm not thrilled he went to the Cardinals. The Cardinals should be thrilled he went to the Cardinals.

BigRedChief 07-17-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371768)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371899)
Gotta think the Mets will be in there with Alvarez and if so, Walker gets cancelled out and then some.

But that's why I think the Cardinals can get this done. After Alvarez, Walker's the best pure hitting prospect in the game right now. And you have to figure the Nats are going to build their package around the best offensive piece they can get.

So that puts the Mets and Cardinals in the drivers seat. We can absolutely overwhelm the Mets package though. Baty and Gorman would wash but beyond that we can start pulling ahead.

Walker/Gorman answers the Mets Alvarez/Baty and we can start to pull away from there.

I don’t like giving up Walker and Gorman. Both 3B. We need to move outfielders. The fact we have any talent to deal at all is Flores and not Mo.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16371928)
I don’t like giving up Walker and Gorman. Both 3B. We need to move outfielders. The fact we have any talent to deal at all is Flores and not Mo.

I don’t think either of those guys play 3b in the bigs. I think Gorman profiles best as a LFer long-term and Walker probably in RF, TBH.

But again, my goal with Gorman is to deal him before people realize he’s a .220 hitter and with Walker - well ya gotta give to get.

Juan Soto is the nearest thing any of us have seen to Ted Williams, fellas. He’s absurdly good.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch (Post 16371912)
Hey you Cardinals fans got Cooper Hjerpe.

DJLN - save your criticism. (More so the guy DJLN was responding to)

He is Chris Sale 2.0. His ceiling is plenty high. He went to Oregon State University.

I'm not thrilled he went to the Cardinals. The Cardinals should be thrilled he went to the Cardinals.

He’s not Chris Sale.

Sale threw 99-101. Sale still throws 99 with a decade as a professional under his belt.

Being a levery lefty with a sidearm delivery doesn’t make you Chris Sale.

He’s a probable mid-rotation arm who may develop into a 2 someday. But he doesn’t have anything in his arsenal that looks to project even at a 70, let alone the two 80 grade pitches Sale had.

At 22 he’s a solid selection but I don’t imagine he’s going wow anyone for most of his career.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 16371906)
I only see one unicorn on “Would it Dong” and that was one of them on Saturday. Most of the rest of them have been pretty legit.

Baseball savant has been a buggy POS lately but it would tell you exactly what he’d have.

I read somewhere that his 36 homer season a few years back would’ve been 52 in NY. The park truly couldn’t play any better for him. But he’s crushing the ball right now, short porch or no.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 07-17-2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371950)
He’s not Chris Sale.

Sale threw 99-101. Sale still throws 99 with a decade as a professional under his belt.

Being a levery lefty with a sidearm delivery doesn’t make you Chris Sale.

He’s a probable mid-rotation arm who may develop into a 2 someday. But he doesn’t have anything in his arsenal that looks to project even at a 70, let alone the two 80 grade pitches Sale had.

At 22 he’s a solid selection but I don’t imagine he’s going wow anyone for most of his career.

I was in the Royals thread before the draft hyping up Hjerpe. Then the Cardinals got him and I was like dammit I'm gonna have to open that Cardinals thread for the first time and make sure they are sufficiently optimistic.

When he gets Cy Young votes in a few years I am going to remind you that you didnt think of him as a Cy Young candidate, DJLN!

Mark my words!

Also I didnt know JR was a Cardinals fan. I thought Cardinals were catholic? Lol!!!!!

VAChief 07-17-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371897)
Eh - I like the pick quite a bit. I don't think this is really an amazing draft through the middle of the 1st. And yes, he's a higher floor guy, but it's a REALLY high floor and right now the high majors is a tough spot for the cardinals pitching depth.

I'd probably put Hjerpe immediately ahead of McGreevy. I think he's probably immediately no worst than the #6/7 prospect in the system and with as disappointed as I've been in Liberatore at the big league level, I think there's an argument that he's the #1 pitching prospect in the system.

Now I wouldn't put him there - I think that's Graceffo and Hence may not be far behind. But when considering polish and proximity, Hjerpe may be higher.

It's a fine pick. And when a top prep arm falls like Porter is falling, there's usually a really good reason for it.

I like him ok too, like I said it fits their philosophy. I do think he could ascend quickly, maybe even as a bullpen arm later this summer.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16371966)
I like him ok too, like I said it fits their philosophy. I do think he could ascend quickly, maybe even as a bullpen arm later this summer.

Never works.

Cardinals are still sitting on Thompson in AAA.

He doesn’t have the kind of raw stuff to make mistakes and survive them. And as a kid straight out of college, he’ll make plenty. He also pitched plenty at Oregon and hasn’t pitched in awhile.

Bring him online slowly, get him 3-5 appearances and maybe 10-20 IP at the end of the season in A+ and start him out in Springfield next year.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 07-17-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16371972)
Never works.

Cardinals are still sitting on Thompson in AAA.

He doesn’t have the kind of raw stuff to make mistakes and survive them. And as a kid straight out of college, he’ll make plenty. He also pitched plenty at Oregon and hasn’t pitched in awhile.

Bring him online slowly, get him 3-5 appearances and maybe 10-20 IP at the end of the season in A+ and start him out in Springfield next year.

DJ, saying he pitched at Oregon is an insult. He did not pitch at Oregon because Oregon is a trash school that didnt even have a baseball program until Oregon STATE won a national championship. Hjerpe went to Oregon STATE.

OSU proceeded to win 2 more national championships after Oregon threw their Nike money at baseball and failed.

Confusing Oregon and Oregon State is like calling a Jayhawk a UK grad, to put it into midwestern terms.

That is all.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16371892)

Porter still on the board and may be there at 59.

He’s not signing or his medicals are garbage.

Hjerpe was a good pick.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 07-17-2022 09:31 PM

Hjerpe was a good pick I will settle for that and leave you Cardinals to your Cardinalling.

Btw DJ - I didnt mean to come across as angry in that last post I was being tongue in cheek. But it is true that Oregon and Oregon State are two very unfriendly schools.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 09:42 PM

Brycen Mautz - there’s your probable fast-tracked lefty reliever.

Sure seems like a below slot guy. Not seeing a ton there.

VAChief 07-17-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16372005)
Brycen Mautz - there’s your probable fast-tracked lefty reliever.

Sure seems like a below slot guy. Not seeing a ton there.

Definitely rated below slot.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 16372008)
Definitely rated below slot.

College junior so he could go back to school.

I’d advise against it though - he’s not the kind of profile likely to perform his way into the 1st and as a SR his leverage would suck. So he’d get scalped in the draft next year.

So he should sign and probably about 1/3 below slot. But I seem to get that wrong more often than I don’t. He’s a fringe top 100 guy who went at 59. That’s not a massive reach so those guys usually end up at slot.