ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Smashburger (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243925)

Simply Red 04-09-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9573315)
**** it's a fry box full and half the bag too
Posted via Mobile Device

a lot of folks on CP eat like troughs and troughs of food & keep at it, over and over.

Simply Red 04-09-2013 08:55 PM

Ramblings About Wine & Food From the Heart of Decatur, GA

April 27, 2010

Farm Burger Arrives in Decatur!
So, I finally made it over to FarmBurger for lunch yesterday. Seems like I was there with half the city, as the FarmBurger has created some buzz right out of the gate. Several local bloggers already have nice reviews on the place: See The Food Abides for a good one.

In case you haven't heard about FarmBurger's mission, here's a blurb from the website:

Farm Burger wants you to think about your burger - what it is and where it's from. Our burgers are made from 100% grassfed beef that is dry-aged for two weeks and ground daily. Our cows are raised on the sweet grasses of the southeast, and never fed antibiotics, hormones, or grain. Our menu is seasonal and sourced from local farms. Our space is convivial and comfortable - because eating is a celebration to be shared. Our food makes ethical eating easy.

The No.1

The cool thing about FarmBurger is that your burger topping options are nearly endless. From the standards like lettuce, tomato, and pickles, to the sublime...including pickled beets, aged gruyere, and BONE MARROW. It's definitely a cool format and sets up the possibility that every visit to FarmBurger brings a unique burger experience.

For my first visit, I had the No.1. It was a rather vanilla choice, I know, but I wanted to see how they knocked out a rather everyday burger. The No. 1 features caramelized onions, cheddar, and FarmBurger sauce. The burger was great, really juicy, and seasoned well. I don't know what the best burger in the world tastes like, but I know this was a damn fine burger. I also ordered the sweet potato fries. They were okay, slightly soggy, but that seems to be the norm with sweet potato fries. Often, they just don't work.

http://i.imgur.com/4YCLFYW.jpg

My lunch companion (The Legend) ordered the No. 6...topped with bacon and fired egg...to which he added on jalapenos and bone marrow. I didn't try this hedonistic burger, but it sure looked fine. See the pic below. We also had some beer battered onion rings that were delicious with smoked paprika mayo dipping sauce. All-in-all, it was a fine lunch and I look forward to a return visit.

The No. 6: w/ House-Cured Bacon, Sunny side up egg, pepperjack, salsa verde, jalapenos and bone marrow. (Photo courtesy of The Legend)

http://i.imgur.com/RknC6gR.jpg

L.A. Chieffan 04-09-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9572345)
I'd like to add something, with Houstons they're really good because they're grilled over hickory accented charbroil. Not smoked - but a nice accent to the finished morsel.

New York matinee called it, "a playful but mysterious little dish"

L.A. Chieffan 04-09-2013 09:02 PM

I ****ing love marrow

Simply Red 04-09-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9573495)

I haven't LOL'd in a while - but that was practically perfect looking.

houstonwhodat 04-09-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9573165)
This. Crushing the meat on a flat top is the only way to get a special crust. Ive started doing this at home in the cast iron and its almost a completely different burger. Plus it doesnt seem to have the issue with inflating in the middle (aka, the baseball buger)

If you don't want your burgers to inflate in the middle the do this:

Put a big fat thumb print right in the middle of the burger, problem solved.

Then the fat rendering will fill up that well and the burger size will stay in tact.

Works every time.

This is true for grilled, bbq, whatever.

houstonwhodat 04-09-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9572546)
maybe I just had a few bad experiences. last 2 times I was there (only been there like 3 times) their fries were limp, greasy, ...bleh.

The brown bag they put it in is sopping wet with grease.

Popeyes has the best Cajun fries.

Tell them to make up a fresh batch for you and buy a large.

PunkinDrublic 04-09-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9573276)
they closed Sydney Marcus - i used to always go to that Marshalls there, seems like I TRIED to go there - but the line was bad, so I left. I used to buy Sebastian Firm Gel from that Korean Wig Lady right by that Cigar Store to the left of where Fat Boys was.

Last great burger I had when I was in the ATL was at the Vortex after seeing it on man vs food. Loved that place.

Simply Red 04-09-2013 09:54 PM

Yes - Vortex when I had it - was good but not earth shattering - May've very well been an off day. I like getting brisket at The Yacht Club there in little five points.

BWillie 04-09-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7562526)
Sucks. Dont flatten a burger on the grill, dumbasses.

Exactly. Flattening the burger just removes some of the flavor. Its just a gimmick to get ppl to come. One of the worst burger chains that isnt fast food.

BWillie 04-09-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9573495)

Hahaha ive never heard anyone quote that one b4. Excellent.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-10-2013 07:45 AM

Grandstand burgers used to be one of my favorite places to eat until I moved down south... Haven't been there for about 3 years, though.

They had some amazing burga's.

Anyone been there recently? I might have to go visit them, as my belly is missing it!

HemiEd 04-10-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9572298)
I think Five Guys regarding burger 'taste' is better than all three - Red Robin - IN/Out & Smashburger.

I think Farm Burger here in Atlanta is better than Five Guys - I think Houston's has the best burger - but it's not an even playing field there, with that one.

I've never been to Culver's.

& in fairness to Red Robin - I only ate it once and after it traveled about 12 miles - when my Ex had brought it to me.

never had a Flea Market burger - I'm going to go ahead and say - it doesn't sound sexy.

Winsteads is nothing special - however I definitely don't hate it - it's just 'meh' maybe, at best.

Hi-Boy was always solid, even Big Boy in Lee's Scummit was fair... there on 50

Culvers is a chain based out of Wisconsin i believe, and it is pretty common around here, but I doubt they get as far south as you are. Their burgers do nothing for me, but their Cod Sandwich is fantastic. I actually prefer it over any other fast food at this point.

blaise 04-10-2013 08:06 AM

I have to be in the mood for a Culver's burger. When I am I like them a lot. I think they get as far south as Dallas, but not too far East. They have good fries, and good service too.

loochy 04-10-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9573514)
I ****ing love marrow

What does it taste like? I've never had it.

I expect it is like jello made from beef stock.

Simply Red 04-10-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9574242)
What does it taste like? I've never had it.

I expect it is like jello made from beef stock.

Have you ever been to Pussy Heaven?

loochy 04-10-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9574264)

marrow tastes like hot rotten fish?

blaise 04-10-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9574264)

Is that a Chinese take out?

Simply Red 04-10-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9574222)
Culvers is a chain based out of Wisconsin i believe, and it is pretty common around here, but I doubt they get as far south as you are. Their burgers do nothing for me, but their Cod Sandwich is fantastic. I actually prefer it over any other fast food at this point.

When I went home for a bash versus San Diego - I went to dad's in BS - I saw a Culver's - but I never stopped there, Taco Johns got my money. A lot of people don't know this - but Taco Johns is quietly the best restaurant in the Kansas City area.

Simply Red 04-10-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9574267)
marrow tastes like hot rotten fish?

:banghead:

Bewbies 04-10-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9573704)
Last great burger I had when I was in the ATL was at the Vortex after seeing it on man vs food. Loved that place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9573811)
Yes - Vortex when I had it - was good but not earth shattering - May've very well been an off day. I like getting brisket at The Yacht Club there in little five points.

The Vortex sucks ass. I've been there several times and have yet to get an edîble burger.

Farm burger is the bomb, one opened right by us, has Morelli's ice cream too. Get the #6 with bacon, fried egg and salsa verde.

loochy 04-10-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9574275)
:banghead:

No seriously, what does marrow taste like? I've never had it before.