ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Nirvana58 03-04-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14132302)
Pre-ordered tickets for the 8th and decent seats were basically impossible to find in my neck of the woods.

FAX

Not that it means anything because it is still early. But I went to Pre-Order some tickets for my girlfriends kid and there was over half the theater still available. Was surprised I was able to get such good seats this close to release.

Monty 03-04-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 14133537)
Not that it means anything because it is still early. But I went to Pre-Order some tickets for my girlfriends kid and there was over half the theater still available. Was surprised I was able to get such good seats this close to release.

Same here, I have a friend who's going on Thursday evening and asked if there were any extras thinking it would be next to impossible. The theater seating chart showed 80% empty, so I'm going on Thursday.

Bowser 03-04-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14133281)

No, Brie. 2019 is about if the Avengers can reverse Thanos' snap and if Star Wars Ep. IX will be an improvement of the piece of shit The Last Jedi turned out to be. Get your damned priorities together.

Setsuna 03-04-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14129081)
I don't understand the focus on her looks. It makes sense within the comic book world that someone like Black Widow would be a sexpot because she uses it as one of many weapons in her arsenal as a non-super super hero.

Captain Marvel doesn't need to have a thicc thighs and an ass that fills out the back of her suit in order to do her job as she has other things going for her. Also, Captain Marvel is pretty important in Rogue's backstory and Mystique is a major foe in her story line. If Marvel intends to bring the X-Men into the MCU... it only makes sense to bring Danvers into the story line.

I do, though, get being overwhelmed by Marvel/super hero content. I'm somewhat in the same boat but I'm dealing with it by forgoing DC content in favor of Marvel.

---

As for her being political? As long as she isn't ****ing children and hurling puppies off an overpass... I'm hard pressed to care. The only actor whose movies I actively avoid is Tom Cruise and only because the guy is a certifiable cultist whackjob.

Are you saying those things are of equal importance in your mind? If so, get help.

Mephistopheles Janx 03-04-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14135146)
Are you saying those things are of equal importance in your mind? If so, get help.

If that is what you took away from my post... you should get help.

Tribal Warfare 03-05-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14134554)
No, Brie. 2019 is about if the Avengers can reverse Thanos' snap and if Star Wars Ep. IX will be an improvement of the piece of shit The Last Jedi turned out to be. Get your damned priorities together.

At least there is an emotional attachment with the MCU, but with Star Wars the anger and resentment of the franchise has turned to apathy which is a death sentence.

Brie's divisive comments and attitude could potentially put the MCU in jeopardy as an automatic cash cow.

Just Passin' By 03-05-2019 01:18 AM

https://gab.ai/media/image/bq-5c7d88a299296.jpeg

LMAO

Mephistopheles Janx 03-05-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14135164)

"dear white men haters" - It seems as if she is addressing people who hate white men... no?

If she instead meant to insult and dis-invite men... shouldn't it have said

"Dear white, men, and haters"

instead?

/edit - pointing out her bad grammar... not defending her position at all

CoMoChief 03-05-2019 02:38 AM

People are just tired of being called racists, misogynists, etc 24****ing7.

It's on TV every god damn day. Somewhere, someone or something is racist. Gets old pretty quick.

There's a war vs the white conservative male in this country...and leftist celebs like Larson are very much part of the problem, and ever since Trump won, their whines and crying have gone into hyper-drive. The media/Hollywood/ and now pro sports have created this environment and its pushed down our throats daily.

Sure-Oz 03-05-2019 08:47 AM

86% on Rotten Tomatoes w/ 35 reviews so far...

DaFace 03-05-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14135171)

It's on TV every god damn day. Somewhere, someone or something is racist. Gets old pretty quick.

There's a war vs the white conservative male in this country...and leftist celebs like Larson are very much part of the problem, and ever since Trump won, their whines and crying have gone into hyper-drive. The media/Hollywood/ and now pro sports have created this environment and its pushed down our throats daily.

Perhaps you'd feel better if you stopped caring so much. :shrug:

Sure-Oz 03-05-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14135271)
86% on Rotten Tomatoes w/ 35 reviews so far...

91% on 68 reviews now

DaFace 03-05-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14135325)
91% on 68 reviews now

Coming a little higher than I expected, so that's cool. I figure it's not going to be the best one we've seen recently, but it's not like they often screw it up.

Sure-Oz 03-05-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14135375)
Coming a little higher than I expected, so that's cool. I figure it's not going to be the best one we've seen recently, but it's not like they often screw it up.

I'm there....just ready for this bridge to end game

DaFace 03-05-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14135377)
I'm there....just ready for this bridge to end game

Yeah, that's kind of where I've landed. This is the prequel before we get the big finish. It almost doesn't matter as long as it's not awful.

keg in kc 03-05-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14135311)
Perhaps you'd feel better if you stopped caring so much. :shrug:

Can't give up that victim mentailty.

FAX 03-05-2019 12:14 PM

Speaking as a white male ...

When your demographic is constantly being kicked in the balls, buy stock in a company that manufactures cups.

There's profit to be had in every market environment.

FAX

Rausch 03-05-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14135634)
Speaking as a white male ...

When your demographic is constantly being kicked in the balls, buy stock in a company that manufactures cups.

There's profit to be had in every market environment.

FAX

I think this flick will be a lot like The Last Jedi.

The name recognition and the MCU's record of great movies will make it a mild success in $$$ numbers with a good opening week. People are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Then word of mouth will spread and it will be an incredibly divisive movie. Fan faith will be eroded because of misleading marketing (FIVE STARS!) and the same skepticism you see with Star Wars will be shared by the MCU fans.

Just Passin' By 03-05-2019 01:25 PM

Reviews will go in both directions and, just as with Ghostbusters with tits and Wakanda forever, we'll get reviews that are based solely on the political. However, in the interest of nothing but it being the first full review I've read, I'll leave the NYP review here, just as a link.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/captai...uperhero-slog/

FAX 03-05-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14135832)
I think this flick will be a lot like The Last Jedi.

The name recognition and the MCU's record of great movies will make it a mild success in $$$ numbers with a good opening week. People are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Then word of mouth will spread and it will be an incredibly divisive movie. Fan faith will be eroded because of misleading marketing (FIVE STARS!) and the same skepticism you see with Star Wars will be shared by the MCU fans.

You're probably right.

I have to say that cruising around social media is very much like walking the corridors of a madhouse. You hear vile exclamations and pronouncements of rage and anger and confusion coming from behind every locked door.

Allowing people you don't know and never will know to exercise influence on your thinking is probably a very bad idea.

Stan Lee was a Caucasian Jewish male person who introduced heroes who were non-white and female. He did the same thing with villains. His choice as editor-in-chief. Perhaps he's ultimately responsible.

The outrage associated with this movie (and Star Wars) is strange to me. Honestly, I wasn't happy when I learned that Peter Parker wasn't the only Spiderman. Should we burn all our old comic books and VHS tapes? That will simply exacerbate global warming. It's a no-win deal.

FAX

Sure-Oz 03-05-2019 01:44 PM

RT score now at 85% on 101 reviews.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great Expectations 03-05-2019 02:20 PM

Their formula is pretty well laid out, learn about the character, see their transformation and a few early wins, have bad guy come in a wreck shit, beat bad guy and everyone cheers.

I enjoy them, but I’m sure they won’t deviate from the winning formula. Throw in a few decent one liners and profit.

keg in kc 03-05-2019 10:02 PM

The more 'negative 'reviews I've seen (which say the movie is just okay, not great but not bad...) all say that Larsen is good but the plot is weak, the movie isn't very deep and the effects are iffy.

Buehler445 03-05-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14136716)
The more 'negative 'reviews I've seen (which say the movie is just okay, not great but not bad...) all say that Larsen is good but the plot is weak, the movie isn't very deep and the effects are iffy.

You'd think they'd get that right, as reliant as they are going to be on it. I mean, you can scrimp a few bucks on Captain America, but all this? Dumb.

Loneiguana 03-06-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

ROFL

It's telling when asking for an equal voice is somehow an attack on white people.

Incels. :shake:

srvy 03-06-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 14136901)
ROFL

It's telling when asking for an equal voice is somehow an attack on white people.

^^^ ****ing dipshit. Back to DC dumbass.

Mr. Plow 03-06-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

ROFL

Who let you out of your hole?

Loneiguana 03-06-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14136949)
^^^ ****ing dipshit. Back to DC dumbass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14137008)
Who let you out of your hole?

Poor wittle babies.

ROFL

Frazod 03-06-2019 09:08 AM

Loonvagina hasn't been this excited about a movie since Brokeback Mountain.

srvy 03-06-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14137026)

ROFL

sully1983 03-06-2019 10:21 AM

I think Brie Larson is a good to great actress but this just looks generic as hell . I'll skip this one and hold out for Endgame.

Loneiguana 03-06-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14137026)

Frazod made a gay joke.

5th graders everywhere laugh.

lawrenceRaider 03-06-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 14137240)
Frazod made a gay joke.

Loon took a vocal minority (very, very small) and painted the majority with it.

5th graders everywhere think his logic skills are laughable.

Frazod 03-06-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 14137240)
Frazod made a gay joke.

Be sure to wear your nicest dress. It would be unfortunate if Captain Mabel mistook you for an actual man and beat the shit out of you.

DaFace 03-06-2019 10:56 AM

Do you DC people realize how obnoxious you are to those of us who stay out of that cesspool?

Frazod 03-06-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14137252)
Do you DC people realize how obnoxious you are to those of us who stay out of that cesspool?

It's exactly the reaction the people who made it want. It's not a movie that happens to have a female lead - it's a FEMINIST SUPER HERO MOVIE, MR. MAN, AND YOU ARE NOT INVITED! :harumph:

The fact that the subject matter actually summoned Loonvagina out of the Pit of Despair is proof of that.

BigRichard 03-06-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14126665)
No, I just think that people love to get outraged about things that don't matter. None of what Larson has said matters. Nothing about Rotten Tomatoes matters. Someone's forecast about how much money it's going to make doesn't matter. It's all bullshit.

My position in this thread, as it has always been, is that the movie is likely to be good based on Marvel's track record, but if it's not it'll tank.

I'm just incredibly frustrated that this thread is a shit show that has very little do to with the movie that we're supposed to be talking about, and I feel bad for those who care so much about the opinions of others that it interferes with your ability to enjoy a goddamn movie.

The end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14137291)
It's exactly the reaction the people who made it want. It's not a movie that happens to have a female lead - it's a FEMINIST SUPER HERO MOVIE, MR. MAN, AND YOU ARE NOT INVITED! :harumph:

The fact that the subject matter actually summoned Loonvagina out of the Pit of Despair is proof of that.

I think for the most part all of us post in here without getting political. Brie made it political and then others want to bitch about the political talk.

Baby Lee 03-06-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14137252)

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ca93...itemid=4733346

Speaks of 'DC people' in the plural, . . . sees among the participants one DC exclusive and multiple longterm posters.

htismaqe 03-06-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14137291)

Truth.

BigRichard 03-06-2019 11:30 AM

It seems like DaFace, along with others, are as sick of them interjecting political shit in movies as much as us, just for different reasons. Maybe if you showed your disgust with us we could wipe this problem out.

KCUnited 03-06-2019 11:39 AM

Gas boycott this Friday!

Frazod 03-06-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14137341)
It seems like DaFace, along with others, are as sick of them interjecting political shit in movies as much as us, just for different reasons. Maybe if you showed your disgust with us we could wipe this problem out.

I remember the good old days, when sports and movies were our escape from shitty real life things.

Bwana 03-06-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

ROFL

GTFO, thread aids.

https://media.tenor.com/images/27f16...ab5c/tenor.gif

Mr. Plow 03-06-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14137455)

:clap:

Otter 03-06-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

I was cruising some threads over lunch and wondered why Bwana was in a Captain Marvel thread.

ROFL

notorious 03-06-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

That gif....LMAO

FAX 03-06-2019 02:27 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I-e5bptEFIM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

007 03-06-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14137707)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I-e5bptEFIM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very well done

O.city 03-06-2019 04:23 PM

I'm excited to see it.

Frazod 03-06-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14137707)

LMAO That was brilliant.

Skyy God 03-06-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you and your fellow snowflakes should retreat to your safe spaces.

Godspeed, you poor, victimized downtrodden.

SAUTO 03-06-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14137955)
I'm excited to see it.

We are too.

Chiefspants 03-06-2019 08:34 PM

I'd have preferred we just made a "Brie Larson hate thread" and left this thread to talk solely about the movie.

DaFace 03-06-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14138372)
I'd have preferred we just made a "Brie Larson hate thread" and left this thread to talk solely about the movie.

Yep. Not worth it at this point, but it would have been nice.

Sure-Oz 03-06-2019 09:27 PM

84% on RT with 181 reviews. Hoping to see it this weekend

FAX 03-06-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14138372)

Interesting idea, Mr. Chiefspants. But if we had a Brie Larson Hate Thread, we'd have to have a Brie Larson Love Thread, too. To keep it fair.

FAX

FAX 03-06-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14138468)
84% on RT with 181 reviews. Hoping to see it this weekend

It's interesting to read the reviews on the Rottens' website. Most of the splats are what I would describe as "lukewarm" as opposed to "hateful" or "negative".

Lukers gonna Luke. That's what uncle Merris always said.

FAX

Rausch 03-07-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14138488)
Interesting idea, Mr. Chiefspants. But if we had a Brie Larson Hate Thread, we'd have to have a Brie Larson Love Thread, too. To keep it fair.

FAX

Speaking of, I talked to two coworkers who said it was exactly like the comic other than a huge change to the kree/skrull war that will likely piss people off. My fried joked that Bris shouldn't be getting slammed for her portrayal because she was exactly like the comix: Boring, no personality other than politics and anger, no character development.

Honestly it really wasn't fair to expect an actress to do much with the role. She doesn't have any real personality in the comix to draw from. She's a caricature of an angry SJW. It would be insulting if it wasn't written by SJW's an feminists...

Hawk 03-07-2019 11:11 AM

This thread...wow. I guess I will never get why people care what the actors and actresses say and think about politics. IDMAS to me.

I am excited to see the movie because it will play a role in the Infinity Wars movies and gets everything set up for End Game. Other than that, it's just a comic book movie and I don't care at all about the politics or any of that nonsense.

Has anyone on this thread actually seen the movie yet and have an opinion based on something besides your hatred of Brie Larson and all those damn Hollywood liberals?

DaFace 03-07-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14139199)
Has anyone on this thread actually seen the movie yet and have an opinion based on something besides your hatred of Brie Larson and all those damn Hollywood liberals?

It's not out until tonight for the general public, so everyone's just going off of what they've read from critics at this point.

DaFace 03-07-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14139061)
Speaking of, I talked to two coworkers who said it was exactly like the comic other than a huge change to the kree/skrull war that will likely piss people off. My fried joked that Bris shouldn't be getting slammed for her portrayal because she was exactly like the comix: Boring, no personality other than politics and anger, no character development.

Honestly it really wasn't fair to expect an actress to do much with the role. She doesn't have any real personality in the comix to draw from. She's a caricature of an angry SJW. It would be insulting if it wasn't written by SJW's an feminists...

How were they able to see it early?

lawrenceRaider 03-07-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

This thread...wow. I guess I will never get why people care what the actors and actresses say and think about politics. IDMAS to me.

I am excited to see the movie because it will play a role in the Infinity Wars movies and gets everything set up for End Game. Other than that, it's just a comic book movie and I don't care at all about the politics or any of that nonsense.

Brie's super flat ass is the mos offensive thing about her.

Baby Lee 03-07-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

There's what actors say about politics in general, and then there's what actors say about the politics of the specific project.

I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, but if the lead actor tells me my consumption, analysis, $$, or any other input are not welcome in their experience, I take them at their word.

And not to go too far afield, but very relevant for me, Brie pisses me MUCH MORE off complaining about male opinions of A Wrinkle in Time. I loved that book growing up, one of a small circle out of the vast shelf of books I read that were in 'all time keeper' status. I have the original trilogy in a boxed set right next to The Chronicles of Narnia boxed set in my headboard to this day. Then Ava came in a ****ed it up royally, and rather than admit the error, they hem and haw about how 'if you don't like it, it's not about you.' And SHE'S NOT EVEN IN IT. . . . [rage subsiding]

Beef Supreme 03-07-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

I don't have a single post in this thread because who really gives a shit ....

But, when the lead actress goes around making it political while promoting her movie, I'm not sure I understand getting upset with the people who react to that. I never get why people care what a random yahoo on a message board says and thinks about politics.

I'll catch it on Netflix like I have the last several Marvel movies.

Fish 03-07-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14139253)
I'll catch it on Netflix like I have the last several Marvel movies.

Nope.....

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainmen...tflix-20190209

Sure-Oz 03-07-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14139267)

Yep gotta get Disney+

Rausch 03-07-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

I, and most people, don't care what they think.

The problem is when those opinions get shoved into the movies they make and ruin them. This was a normal female comix character until the SJW's changed her and made her their poster-girl for femi-nazis.

The whole point, stated by her and disney, was to make a feminist movie.

Chris Evans and Tom Cruise have some wacky ideas but that is said in their spare time and doesn't bleed into the movies.

Good for them. Make good movies and then you do you...

Hawk 03-07-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14139273)

The problem is when those opinions get shoved into the movies they make and ruin them. This was a normal female comix character until the SJW's changed her and made her their poster-girl for femi-nazis.

Chris Evans and Tom Cruise have some wacky ideas but that is said in their spare time and doesn't bleed into the movies.

Well you don't really know if it's good or got ruined. Just because it has a female empowerment message doesn't mean it will suck automatically, though people who are all worked about that before they even see it are not likely to enjoy it no matter what I guess.

Fishpicker 03-07-2019 02:10 PM

https://i.ibb.co/HzDS532/1551942033425.jpg

:rolleyes: this is why I dont care for people injecting their personal politics into comics and movies. this is disgusting. and when Lee was alive SJWs couldn't bash him enough.

BigRichard 03-07-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14139624)
https://i.ibb.co/HzDS532/1551942033425.jpg

:rolleyes: this is why I dont care for people injecting their personal politics into comics and movies. this is disgusting. and when Lee was alive SJWs couldn't bash him enough.

What am I missing here?

Frazod 03-07-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14139608)
Well you don't really know if it's good or got ruined. Just because it has a female empowerment message doesn't mean it will suck automatically, though people who are all worked about that before they even see it are not likely to enjoy it no matter what I guess.

A good movie is a good movie. I think I would have still liked Aliens even if Sigourney Weaver had publicly announced how much I suck because I'm a white man before it came out. Just maybe not as much.

Fortunately for James Cameron and Orion Pictures, Sigourney Weaver was a lot smarter than Brie Larson.

Hawk 03-07-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14139253)
I don't have a single post in this thread because who really gives a shit ....

But, when the lead actress goes around making it political while promoting her movie, I'm not sure I understand getting upset with the people who react to that. I never get why people care what a random yahoo on a message board says and thinks about politics.

Don't care, just amused at all the vitriol for a movie people haven't even seen yet. I mean it's about a female super-hero, of course it will have a feminist message, how could it not? Doesn't mean the movie preaches about it or that it ruins the movie. Possible I guess, but seems a little silly to get worked up over that stuff until you at least see for yourself.

Reminds me of when that canadian doofus Ryan whats-his-name talked about the moon landing being a human accomplishment and not just an American accomplishment when discussing the Neil Armstrong movie. I mean it's true to an extent, hell Neil Armstrong himself said "giant leap for mankind". But the internet then creates some ridiculous narrative about the movie not having a flag planting scene and the right wingers eat it up even though none of them have seen the movie which was actually quite patriotic overall. Talk about much ado about nothing. I'm betting this turns out similar.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14139273)

Captain Marvel is a fringe character that's never had a following to speak of. So was Ant-Man. It doesn't really matter - Marvel will tell you what to be interested in, I guess.

But as to the idea that she was a normal comic book character - that's not been my understanding. Again; not my wheelhouse, but my understanding was that she was pretty much the comic-book equivalent of a Berkeley Intersectional Feminist from her inception.

{shrug}

Don't care. I've only seen the big 'tentpole' Marvel movies in theatres anyway. I think it's just been Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War. I'll go see Endgame when it comes out.

Everything else I've just waited for on Netflix and have been varying degrees of mindlessly entertained or somewhat disappointed.

Oh, and I just re-watched Black Panther. Seriously - if that thing didn't get embraced by the black community, it could've just as easily been scorned as being crazy racist. I'm watching that movie with people literally throwing spears and howling like gorillas and am wondering who the hell had the balls to make that. I mean that's dancing on a knife's edge right there.

The SJWs could've just as easily decided that it was blacksploitation rather than black empowerment, right? Am I completely nuts? How does taking a shitload of racial tropes from the 40s and applying them to an advanced African tribe (who became advanced simply by happy accident; they were the tribe that landed on the Vibranium) make them NOT racial tropes? There was a ton of cognitive dissonance there.

BigRichard 03-07-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14139647)
Don't care, just amused at all the vitriol for a movie people haven't even seen yet. I mean it's about a female super-hero, of course it will have a feminist message, how could it not? Doesn't mean the movie preaches about it or that it ruins the movie. Possible I guess, but seems a little silly to get worked up over that stuff until you at least see for yourself.

Reminds me of when that canadian doofus Ryan whats-his-name talked about the moon landing being a human accomplishment and not just an American accomplishment when discussing the Neil Armstrong movie. I mean it's true to an extent, hell Neil Armstrong himself said "giant leap for mankind". But the internet then creates some ridiculous narrative about the movie not having a flag planting scene and the right wingers eat it up even though none of them have seen the movie which was actually quite patriotic overall. Talk about much ado about nothing. I'm betting this turns out similar.

Right or wrong "First Man" took in around $110 million all together with a $60 million production budget. I don't think that included any of their marketing budget which is usually pretty high in itself. Those aren't great numbers as I understand it. I am guessing Disney is hoping for it to not be similar.

Direckshun 03-07-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14139653)
Captain Marvel is a fringe character that's never had a following to speak of.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not remotely true?

Like, not remotely true.

Beef Supreme 03-07-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14139730)

Not remotely true?

Like, not remotely true.

They have tried to make Captain Marvel their flagship character, but have had several relaunches because the character has never been that popular and they lost money pretty much every time trying to keep a monthly book afloat.

Part of that is comic books losing readership in general, and maybe there were some hardcore fans, but the character has never had a successful heyday of any kind. Maybe the movie can change that and make the character wildly popular, most of the Marvel movies have been quite good. But it is remotely true.

Oh and that article you linked has this gem in it: "Comics has never been a particularly welcoming space for new fans, especially if they aren’t white and male." This is the kind of complete bullshit agenda driven nonsense that pisses people off.

Frazod 03-07-2019 02:56 PM

I really liked Captain Marvel when I was a kid.

https://pursuenews.com/wp-content/up...m-EW-issue.jpg

Looking forward to his new movie.

DJ's left nut 03-07-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Not remotely true?

Like, not remotely true.

It's all relative, is it not?

I mean she's nothing approaching Superman, Batman, X-Men, Spiderman or Captain America. Near as I can tell she's not even had the historic popularity of Spawn.

She's been cancelled, re-vamped and taken in and out of circulation several times. Now that's true of most characters, but the she's hardly an 'anchor property' just because some article says she has a group of followers.

Of course she does - she's pretty much the only 'lead' female character, no? But that's not to say she's been on par with other properties that have been a part of the MCU.

Like I said - she's a lot closer to Ant Man than Spiderman.

Just Passin' By 03-07-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Not remotely true?

Like, not remotely true.

The character now being touted as Captain Marvel wasn't even Captain Marvel until a few years ago. Captain Marvel was originally a man, and then was a black woman, then the original Captain Marvel's son, etc...

Direckshun 03-07-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14139736)
They have tried to make Captain Marvel their flagship character, but have had several relaunches because the character has never been that popular and they lost money pretty much every time trying to keep a monthly book afloat.

That's fine, that's all fine.

But the idea that she's never had a following is just something someone says when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14139767)
It's all relative, is it not?

I mean she's nothing approaching Superman, Batman, X-Men, Spiderman or Captain America. Near as I can tell she's not even had the historic popularity of Spawn.

She's been cancelled, re-vamped and taken in and out of circulation several times. Now that's true of most characters, but the she's hardly an 'anchor property' just because some article says she has a group of followers.

Of course she does - she's pretty much the only 'lead' female character, no? But that's not to say she's been on par with other properties that have been a part of the MCU.

Like I said - she's a lot closer to Ant Man than Spiderman.

That's all fine. You can argue about her popularity or whatever. But she has had a dedicated following. You said that she did not. I assume in part because you don't know what you're talking about, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you misspoke.

I don't know of an army of supporters, however big or small, for Hank Pym.

She's been a B-level character for Marvel for a long time. For that matter, so was Iron Man -- he wasn't like a supremely popular character on the same level as Superman or Hulk until the MCU showed up and knocked it out of the park with his first movie.

It's hard to remember that because Stark's a really great character, but really great characters don't always explode with popularity. The same could be said for Danvers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14139773)
The character now being touted as Captain Marvel wasn't even Captain Marvel until a few years ago. Captain Marvel was originally a man, and then was a black woman, then the original Captain Marvel's son, etc...

I don't find this relative to my point. Is it relative to my point?