ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs No Chris Jones at OTA's. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323044)

Naptown Chief 06-13-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14307008)
This has been expected.

The deal will get done and if reports are true that Jones wants 20m per, Veach will look like a mastermind by getting the deal done at that amount.

I haven’t seen anything saying he wants Donald $$$. A few mentions that he wants 20m per.

Which is a bargain for the team.

20 a year for 4-5 or 5-6 years? Jump on that shit now before Bobby B ****stain, the 26th best DT in football, gets signed for 24 in free agency next year or 30 after the new CBA. Give him all the escalades too.

Any extension before the new cap comes out is a win, right?

carcosa 06-13-2019 02:40 PM

PAY

HIM

VEACH!!!!!!

oldman 06-13-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14307008)
This has been expected.

The deal will get done and if reports are true that Jones wants 20m per, Veach will look like a mastermind by getting the deal done at that amount.

I haven’t seen anything saying he wants Donald $$$. A few mentions that he wants 20m per.

Which is a bargain for the team.

I agree, he's not asking for anything more than what he's worth. Get it done before TC so everybody is happy and there are no distractions. We've locked up Schwartz and Butker for now and we'll get Hill once all the smoke clears. Eat horse dung, the rest of the AFC!

CasselGotPeedOn 06-13-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14306914)
They've always needed the money for Tyreek. If that wasn't in the budget, Veach is even dumber than I thought.

I really wish someone had Tyreek'd your mom when she was pregnant with you. Then maybe we wouldn't be stuck reading your god awful posts.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-13-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 14307153)
I really wish someone had Tyreek'd your mom when she was pregnant with you. Then maybe we wouldn't be stuck reading your god awful posts.

You wish his mom had been gently removed from his dad's apartment?

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14309544)
Hill gets all of Chris Jones' money.

I think Chris is going to get ****ed this year. If he doesn't report to camp he has to come back next year and play another year at $1.6 million or something gross. Essentially, it makes his 2019 contract year not count.

I can't even find a link for this anywhere, googled a bit, but I heard it on the radio last night. I swear to god. Anyone see this anywhere else?

He'll be at camp, probably get tagged next year, and may not ever get a huge payday due to nagging injuries.

I think he may be a Dontari Poe type, and the Chiefs sniffed it out early this time.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:32 PM

Changing threads didn't make it any less dumb.

He could report week 10 and get credit for a whole year iirc

And what nagging injuries?

RunKC 06-15-2019 12:34 PM

I don’t think Chris Jones has ever had a major injury. He had a slight MCL issue that was a 6 week recovery.

He’s definitely not like Poe or Ford, who had back problems.

What am I missing here?

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309585)
He could report week 10 and get credit for a whole year iirc

And what nagging injuries?

Not according to what I heard.

If he doesn't report to camp his contract this year "doesn't count" and he has to play an additional year at a shit salary.

So the Chiefs have all the leverage. He'll be there.

As for his injuries, dude has always been susceptible to getting nicked up. I think this is a key factor in why the Chiefs have been slow to extend him.

They want to wait and see if he can make it through a whole year with nothing serious I'd bet.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-15-2019 12:38 PM

What injury has Jones had??

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14309591)
Not according to what I heard.

If he doesn't report to camp his contract this year "doesn't count" and he has to play an additional year at a shit salary.

So the Chiefs have all the leverage. He'll be there.

As for his injuries, dude has always been susceptible to getting nicked up. I think this is a key factor in why the Chiefs have been slow to extend him.

They want to wait and see if he can make it through a whole year with nothing serious I'd bet.

You're wrong.

If he reports by week 10 (iirc) he gets credit for a full year. Just like any other player.

RunKC 06-15-2019 12:40 PM

Veach is going to start clearing cap.

Colquitt, Sorenson, X. Williams, Hitchens (if he doesn’t perform this season), LDT. All these guys will be gone soon.

You’ll also likely see a reshuffle in cap as well. Chiefs won’t have to pay Erving’s incentives bc he won’t be on the field this year unless injury happens, Fisher will likely get extended to lower his cap hits again and have a backloaded contract and Sammy will be gone either after this year or after next year.

Veach will need to start taking the Ballard draft approach next year and trade back.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:40 PM

I guess unless he signed some contract with a clause we've never heard of.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-15-2019 12:41 PM

LDT won’t be cut

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309595)
You're wrong.

If he reports by week 10 (iirc) he gets credit for a full year. Just like any other player.

That's the standard contract. What I heard last night was he had a distinct clause in his that ****s him over.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14309600)
That's the standard contract. What I heard last night was he had a distinct clause in his that ****s him over.

Why would he sign a contract with that included? That seems dumb.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:47 PM

Now for the bad news -- Fescoe says*the current contract differences between the Chiefs and defensive tackle Chris Jones are big enough*that he may wind up holding out for a portion of training camp. Jones, according to Fescoe, is looking for much larger amount of guaranteed money in his next deal than the Chiefs are currently willing to give.

"Both sides want to get the deal done," said Fescoe. "The Kansas City Chiefs are willing and wanting to get a deal done with Chris Jones. They want to get a nice, long-term deal done with Chris Jones – somewhere between the three- and five-year range we’re seeing for all of these contracts right about now. Chris Jones wants to get a deal done with the Kansas City Chiefs. The problem is they’re $25 million apart from where they need to be to actually get a deal done."

O.city 06-15-2019 12:47 PM

He could sit til week 10 and get an accrued season

He won’t he’ll show up at some point

It’s essentially the same scenario Frank Clark was in last year in Seattle. Take a little less now for safety or play it out and get a monster deal

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309605)
Why would he sign a contract with that included? That seems dumb.

who knows...maybe his agent is dumb...but it's not THAT out of NFL contract tradition to include a punishment for not reporting to camp...I'd bet it's happened before

Flying High D 06-15-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14309593)
What injury has Jones had??

Track burn on his winkie.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:49 PM

Chris Jones is probably going to miss a couple weeks of training camp as well because I don’t believe, and the folks I talked to as well, don’t believe there’s any way to cover that $25 million gap between now and the start of training camp," Fescoe said.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14309610)
who knows...maybe his agent is dumb...but it's not THAT out of NFL contract tradition to include a punishment for not reporting to camp...I'd bet it's happened before

Most likely not on a rookie deal for someone that wasn't a 1st rounder.

Chief Roundup 06-15-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309608)
Now for the bad news -- Fescoe says*the current contract differences between the Chiefs and defensive tackle Chris Jones are big enough*that he may wind up holding out for a portion of training camp. Jones, according to Fescoe, is looking for much larger amount of guaranteed money in his next deal than the Chiefs are currently willing to give.

"Both sides want to get the deal done," said Fescoe. "The Kansas City Chiefs are willing and wanting to get a deal done with Chris Jones. They want to get a nice, long-term deal done with Chris Jones – somewhere between the three- and five-year range we’re seeing for all of these contracts right about now. Chris Jones wants to get a deal done with the Kansas City Chiefs. The problem is they’re $25 million apart from where they need to be to actually get a deal done."

I heard that too. He says that the Chiefs are offering $42M guaranteed and they are wanting $67M guaranteed including an increase over the $1.6M in base this year as well.

Flying High D 06-15-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309595)
You're wrong.

Hmmm, seems someone is wrong.

“Jones is under contract, so he has to be there no later than 30 days before the season starts, or else he loses an accrued season.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/

The NFL minicamp absences that actually matter, and what's next

BryanBusby 06-15-2019 01:02 PM

e: derp, mixed it up for tagged players

Skyy God 06-15-2019 01:03 PM

Donald’s deal is basically 4/$82M.

I’d give Jones 70-75.

BryanBusby 06-15-2019 01:06 PM

Mixed up Jones situation with a tagged player, but ultimately he could decide to skip the season which would be a disaster for this team trying to win the Super Bowl. Don't think it'll ever get to that point.

Flying High D 06-15-2019 01:06 PM

ESPN article

Jones was a second-round pick in 2016, but because second-round picks aren't eligible for the performance-based fourth-year escalators that picks from Rounds 3-7 get, he's scheduled to make even less than Ngakoue this season. Three weeks shy of his 25th birthday and coming off a 15.5-sack season, Jones understandably believes $1.2 million is a little light for 2019 compensation.

The problem here is that the Chiefs appear to have given new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo great latitude in deciding what kinds of players he wants for his defense. If Spagnuolo doesn't see Jones as the type of defensive tackle he likes for his front, the Chiefs might be reluctant to offer Jones a top-of-market deal, and the standoff could continue for a while. Jones is under contract, so he has to be there no later than 30 days before the season starts, or else he loses an accrued season.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 14309622)
Hmmm, seems someone is wrong.

“Jones is under contract, so he has to be there no later than 30 days before the season starts, or else he loses an accrued season.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/

The NFL minicamp absences that actually matter, and what's next

Boom.

He has no leverage.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 01:11 PM

So Jones can hold out until...August 5th?

stumppy 06-15-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 14309630)
ESPN article

Jones was a second-round pick in 2016, but because second-round picks aren't eligible for the performance-based fourth-year escalators that picks from Rounds 3-7 get, he's scheduled to make even less than Ngakoue this season. Three weeks shy of his 25th birthday and coming off a 15.5-sack season, Jones understandably believes $1.2 million is a little light for 2019 compensation.

The problem here is that the Chiefs appear to have given new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo great latitude in deciding what kinds of players he wants for his defense. If Spagnuolo doesn't see Jones as the type of defensive tackle he likes for his front, the Chiefs might be reluctant to offer Jones a top-of-market deal, and the standoff could continue for a while. Jones is under contract, so he has to be there no later than 30 days before the season starts, or else he loses an accrued season.

I don't see that happening at all. I doubt there's a team in the NFL who wouldn't want Jones.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 01:14 PM

Yep I was wrong. And it's for ALL rookies not just jones. Here's a break down
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-...xtension-deal/

Chiefshrink 06-15-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14277815)
(he’s earned it)

I would say he is on his way to earning it. Has he arrived? Nope. A lot of improvement still needed against the run. Don't get me wrong I really like the guy and maybe it is just a matter of better coaching.

But if you compare Chris to Tyreek and their development to this point and who deserves the Big $$ NOW(aside from Hill's off field drama which now is appearing drama caused by his ex) it is Hill hands down that deserves the Big Coin NOW IMHO.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309639)

Pretty smooth by NFL lawyers to get this in all the rookie deals.

Wonder what they gave up.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 01:17 PM

Here's a good point though
season.*Derek Carr, also from the 2014 draft class, recently signed a 5 year $125M extension that makes him the highest paid player in league history. That will likely change in the years to come as the league’s salary cap increases with every passing season and more young franchise quarterbacks will be up for extensions that will surpass Carr’s. Carr is the most notable from the players in the 2014 class mentioned because he was a second rounder, not a first. That meant the*Raiders*couldn’t option him for a fifth year and delay a newer deal. This then created more urgency on the Raiders’ behalf to get a deal done sooner.

SAUTO 06-15-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14309645)
Pretty smooth by NFL lawyers to get this in all the rookie deals.

Wonder what they gave up.

I bet the players try to change it next time lol

Chief Pagan 06-15-2019 01:20 PM

0Why do the current players care about the rookie contacts?

SAUTO 06-15-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 14309652)
0Why do the current players care about the rookie contacts?

They may not. You bring up a good point

Chief Pagan 06-15-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14307057)
I agree, he's not asking for anything more than what he's worth. Get it done before TC so everybody is happy and there are no distractions. We've locked up Schwartz and Butker for now and we'll get Hill once all the smoke clears. Eat horse dung, the rest of the AFC!

When you have as much talent as KC does, you can't pay everybody what they are worth.

Teams that win championships usually have a lot of underpaid talent.

You spend your cap dollars somewhere so I'm not saying don't pay him. But you have to make hard choices somewhere. I'm not convinced that tying up mega bucks for Hill is a good gamble.

Chiefshrink 06-15-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 14309658)
Teams that win championships usually have a lot of underpaid talent.

See Bellichek. He has mastered the chess game of contract negotiation(never paying top dollar at any position, along with acquiring xtra draft picks along the way for flexibility to move in the draft, or trading for a player) and eye for real talent. Does Bellichek pay Bowe, Houston or Berry ? Nope !!

O.city 06-15-2019 01:59 PM

Belicheck has the highest paid corner, one he signed as s free agent

Enough with this Belicheck doesn’t pay guys shit

Halfcan 06-15-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309646)
Here's a good point though
season.*Derek Carr, also from the 2014 draft class, recently signed a 5 year $125M extension that makes him the highest paid player in league history. That will likely change in the years to come as the league’s salary cap increases with every passing season and more young franchise quarterbacks will be up for extensions that will surpass Carr’s. Carr is the most notable from the players in the 2014 class mentioned because he was a second rounder, not a first. That meant the*Raiders*couldn’t option him for a fifth year and delay a newer deal. This then created more urgency on the Raiders’ behalf to get a deal done sooner.

ROFL what a stupid deal for the Faders.

BossChief 06-15-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14309678)

And paid Revis and Ty Law, too.

He values elite corners on defense

Flying High D 06-15-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 14309666)
See Bellichek. He has mastered the chess game of contract negotiation(never paying top dollar at any position, along with acquiring xtra draft picks along the way for flexibility to move in the draft, or trading for a player) and eye for real talent. Does Bellichek pay Bowe, Houston or Berry ? Nope !!

Sure wish Bellicheck would sign Berry, now. With his heel be 100% and all now. Haglund rides again strong.

Flying High D 06-15-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14309639)

Thanks for sharing. The article is interesting even though my head started hurting trying to understand it all.

RunKC 06-15-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14309678)

Corners and safeties don’t get that much though. They usually get 2/3 of what QB’s/ pass rushers get, so no I don’t think Bill would extend Jones.

I would though and I hope Veach just pays him big now. Cap is still going up each year.

Flying High D 06-15-2019 05:20 PM

So, where do the Chiefs and CJ go from here?

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-15-2019 06:00 PM

Seems to me that the Chiefs want to go ahead and gamble, and why not? if Spags thinks they can do better upfront and that Jones isn't his ideal fit, then it's a win-win for the Chiefs.
I like the kid a lot, he's a competitor. That said, I HAVE advocated for a more business-like approach with these guys and if that's what we're doing then that's fine by me.

tyecopeland 06-16-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14306594)
He wants 20 LESS than Donald and the Chiefs are grousing???

Get the **** outta' here Brett!!!

If he misses camp, it's ALL on the FO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14309928)
Seems to me that the Chiefs want to go ahead and gamble, and why not? if Spags thinks they can do better upfront and that Jones isn't his ideal fit, then it's a win-win for the Chiefs.
I like the kid a lot, he's a competitor. That said, I HAVE advocated for a more business-like approach with these guys and if that's what we're doing then that's fine by me.

I'm confused. Which is it? GTFO of here Brett, or that's fine by me?

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 14310862)
I'm confused. Which is it? GTFO of here Brett, or that's fine by me?

"Brett that's fine by me" .

As it was, you know, the last comment made?
Some situations are, say it with me; "fluid". Once more; "fluuuuuuuuid", fluid.

O.city 06-19-2019 10:05 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Saw the Clark trade and compensation and wants to be treated as such<br><br>The Chiefs want him at OTAs AND want to see him play more structured and not freelance<br><br>The situation is turning into one that may last longer than most thought to start the offseason</p>&mdash; Matt Lane (@ChiefinCarolina) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefinCarolina/status/1141376058312351744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O.city 06-19-2019 10:05 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m sure most Chiefs fans already listen, but if you’re not, The Yahoo Sports NFL Podcast with <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TerezPaylor</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CharlesRobinson</a> is a must listen.<br><br>Great all around podcast for NFL fans but every week there is a major Chiefs nugget.<br><br>This week the talk was about Chris Jones</p>&mdash; Matt Lane (@ChiefinCarolina) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefinCarolina/status/1141376056995274752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O.city 06-19-2019 11:46 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs perspective from <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TerezPaylor</a>: &quot;Maybe you shouldn&#39;t freelance on so many of those sacks. Maybe you should show up to OTAs. You show up we&#39;ll start talking.&quot; <br><br>Whew. <a href="https://t.co/06btvgffr6">https://t.co/06btvgffr6</a></p>&mdash; Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) <a href="https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1141394808126283776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2019</a></blockquote>

htismaqe 06-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14314309)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs perspective from <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TerezPaylor</a>: &quot;Maybe you shouldn&#39;t freelance on so many of those sacks. Maybe you should show up to OTAs. You show up we&#39;ll start talking.&quot; <br><br>Whew. <a href="https://t.co/06btvgffr6">https://t.co/06btvgffr6</a></p>&mdash; Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) <a href="https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1141394808126283776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2019</a></blockquote>

So basically the Chiefs saw the same thing many of us saw in Chris Jones.

I believe the old golf analogy applies here:

You drive for show but you putt for dough.

If Chris wants to get paid like Donald, 15.5 sacks isn't enough. You have to do the little things too if you want to be the best.

BossChief 06-19-2019 11:56 AM

I really hope Veach and Jones can get this worked out.

FFS if the guy wants Clark’s deal, take that as a blessing he doesn’t want more and get the deal done.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-19-2019 12:00 PM

Strange.

BossChief 06-19-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14314318)

If Chris wants to get paid like Donald, 15.5 sacks isn't enough. You have to do the little things too if you want to be the best.

Nobody has reported that Jones wants Donald money. 3-4 reports out there that he wants Clark money. This is a prime example of when you need to get the deal done now before the price skyrockets.

Get it done before guys like Daniels, Ngakoue and Clowney push the market further.

Blick 06-19-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Chris Jones has some red flags that make it difficult to give in to his contract demands.

I completely understand the Chiefs being hesitant to give Jones what he wants.

staylor26 06-19-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14314356)
Nobody has reported that Jones wants Donald money. 3-4 reports out there that he wants Clark money. This is a prime example of when you need to get the deal done now before the price skyrockets.

Get it done before guys like Daniels, Ngakoue and Clowney push the market further.

This.

Mecca 06-19-2019 12:47 PM

Tons of people are aware that Jones freelances and it contributed to why the run D sucked balls, Daly isn't gonna put up with that bullshit so this could be really interesting.

Buckweath 06-19-2019 12:55 PM

I wish we had more players who could freelance and get 15 sacks and be second-team All-Pro.

However, I did say that Fletcher Cox is better and was better than Jones last year because he is more complete.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-19-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14314406)
Tons of people are aware that Jones freelances and it contributed to why the run D sucked balls, Daly isn't gonna put up with that bullshit so this could be really interesting.

If that's the case, I really like the coach pushing the issue like that. It spells out clearly that creating a cohesive unit and team is more important to him than creating a bunch of individual Stars. That's nothing but good news.

Aspengc8 06-19-2019 02:06 PM

I think the whole freelance thing is a bit overblown. I feel that they will get a deal done before camp begins.

Lprechaun 06-19-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14314468)
If that's the case, I really like the coach pushing the issue like that. It spells out clearly that creating a cohesive unit and team is more important to him than creating a bunch of individual Stars. That's nothing but good news.

I cant remember the article, but they broke down quite a few of the "sack leaders" and then compared it to their rush defenses in total. The rushing offense was statistically far better against teams with high numbers of sacks from individuals but was quite a difference when the total number of sacks was spread thru the defensive line.
Getting a high sack number is great but not at the cost of leaving your lane open and it getting gashed.
Now if the tape shows that his lanes werent wide open or extorted than his freelancing is fine by me, if those lanes were used and abused than his numbers dont mean near as much.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-19-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 14314509)
I cant remember the article, but they broke down quite a few of the "sack leaders" and then compared it to their rush defenses in total. The rushing offense was statistically far better against teams with high numbers of sacks from individuals but was quite a difference when the total number of sacks was spread thru the defensive line.
Getting a high sack number is great but not at the cost of leaving your lane open and it getting gashed.
Now if the tape shows that his lanes werent wide open or extorted than his freelancing is fine by me, if those lanes were used and abused than his numbers dont mean near as much.

Agreed. If you're not playing your assignments, you're not doing your job.

jaa1025 06-19-2019 02:30 PM

The Chiefs have all the leverage with Jones. He's a year to early to get Clark money.

DJ's left nut 06-19-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Yuuuuup.

I bitched openly and loudly several times about Jones just completely jaking his run responsibility to attack upfield. He was by no means a sound defender and he was oftentimes a huge part of our problem with run defense.

This is a completely fair concern from the Chiefs and something that almost certainly won't get any better if he gets shifted inside and gets fewer opportunities for 'splash' plays.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-19-2019 02:42 PM

It would seem we're no longer ****ing around with "good enough" .

RunKC 06-19-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14314520)
Yuuuuup.

I bitched openly and loudly several times about Jones just completely jaking his run responsibility to attack upfield. He was by no means a sound defender and he was oftentimes a huge part of our problem with run defense.

This is a completely fair concern from the Chiefs and something that almost certainly won't get any better if he gets shifted inside and gets fewer opportunities for 'splash' plays.

This could be a dangerous game. We’d be relying on Speaks and a rookie if this guy holds out or misses time only to come back more susceptible to injury.

I get both sides here. It’s just a bitch to deal with.

O.city 06-19-2019 02:55 PM

I think it really goes to show that you really don't want your DT to be your leading pass rusher. It's great that he had those sacks last year and I want to see him continue to rush, but you've gotta do it under control.

You blow something in there and next thing you know a guard is on your ILB and it's off to the races.

Sometimes you gotta do the dirty work too.

DJ's left nut 06-19-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14314558)
This could be a dangerous game. We’d be relying on Speaks and a rookie if this guy holds out or misses time only to come back more susceptible to injury.

I get both sides here. It’s just a bitch to deal with.

Sure, but if the guy is really insisting on being one of the 10 highest paid defenders in football...well, I guess you'll be holding out then, champ. And then getting tagged/traded the following year. Or maybe he plays on the last year of his deal and then proves WORTH that kind of money.

He's not giving the Chiefs much to work with here. There's no question at all that he spent far too much of last season not being assignment sound. And all too often he'd simply ignore calls (I remember a play where Hitchens and Hamilton were both slapping him on the leg to get him to re-align and he just stood dead still and charged upfield).

You can't bust your cap to sign a guy that won't commit to playing team defense. The truly incredible, valuable players are guys like Miller and pre-injury Houston - guys who would mind their responsibility AND create havoc. Jones tended to ignore the former for the latter and that blew up on us a lot. If he can't do both, he's not elite and doesn't deserve to be paid as though he is.

jjchieffan 06-19-2019 03:56 PM

Who has a good cornerback that would be willing to trade him for Jones?

BossChief 06-19-2019 04:08 PM

Gotta wonder if Khalen Saunders, Mecole Hardman and Juan Thornhill were drafted to be long term replacements for Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill and Eric Berry.

Lprechaun 06-19-2019 04:09 PM

That may be what he is afraid of. Had he not put up those sack numbers I dont think he holds out. But his agent may be telling him that it's a good time to force your hand since in all reality all you proved was you can get after a QB but let the runner blow by you. Tackles dont get a name from the public, sacks do, the owners and GMs arent the public. They look more in depth at numbers behind numbers.
When was the last time a defensive player held out for top money after being part of the worst fielded defense in the league?

O.city 06-19-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14314623)
Who has a good cornerback that would be willing to trade him for Jones?

Ramsey

staylor26 06-19-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14314634)
Gotta wonder if Khalen Saunders, Mecole Hardman and Juan Thornhill were drafted to be long term replacements for Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill and Eric Berry.

Lol we’re not going to let Hill and Jones both walk. It’s more likely that we sign both than that.

DJ's left nut 06-19-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 14314637)
That may be what he is afraid of. Had he not put up those sack numbers I dont think he holds out. But his agent may be telling him that it's a good time to force your hand since in all reality all you proved was you can get after a QB but let the runner blow by you. Tackles dont get a name from the public, sacks do, the owners and GMs arent the public. They look more in depth at numbers behind numbers.
When was the last time a defensive player held out for top money after being part of the worst fielded defense in the league?

If he wants to overplay his hand, he can give it a shot.

But if he tries to hold out of camp, gets fined a ton for doing so, then shows up out of shape before being ineffective, he'll cost himself millions of dollars.

Because the tape don't lie. He cannot expect to get paid like an every down superstar when he flat out lost on half his snaps because he didn't do his job.

I'm not saying that we should NEVER pay the man or that we shouldn't offer him a very nice deal this offseason. But there's no good reason to pay him like a top 10 player just in case he actually becomes one. That ain't how it works. If he wants to bet on himself, then he should bet on himself. If he can prove he's able to create havoc in the passing game while still remaining run responsible - great, pay that man his money.

SAUTO 06-19-2019 04:22 PM

Bad thing about it is we only have one franchise tag next year and it's sounding like we might have a hard time getting a deal done with hill and jones both.

Lprechaun 06-19-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14314650)
If he wants to overplay his hand, he can give it a shot.

But if he tries to hold out of camp, gets fined a ton for doing so, then shows up out of shape before being ineffective, he'll cost himself millions of dollars.

Because the tape don't lie. He cannot expect to get paid like an every down superstar when he flat out lost on half his snaps because he didn't do his job.

I'm not saying that we should NEVER pay the man or that we shouldn't offer him a very nice deal this offseason. But there's no good reason to pay him like a top 10 player just in case he actually becomes one. That ain't how it works. If he wants to bet on himself, then he should bet on himself. If he can prove he's able to create havoc in the passing game while still remaining run responsible - great, pay that man his money.

Exactly, pay him his worth. Of course I dont think we know what he wants but Im guessing that what he wants and feels he is worth isnt quite in line with what the Chiefs think. OR its closer than we think, they have until camp to get a deal done or he holds out and costs himself money. I would never down a player holding out for fear of injury in mini camps either.... deal will get done I think. They both have time and the Chiefs if I understand it correctly have the upper hand anyways.

Lprechaun 06-19-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14314655)
Bad thing about it is we only have one franchise tag next year and it's sounding like we might have a hard time getting a deal done with hill and jones both.

Why would Hill be franchised? Im assuming this because you always come with facts and only mentioned those two names.
If Hill plays this year he gets a deal, he wont be being let go or franchised.