ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336980)

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:17 PM

We also can’t forget that you’re getting 2 guys in Niang and Gay that we’re basically red shirted. Hell, you can throw Baker in there too.

We already have legitimate 1st round talent that we got value on last year to contribute in 2021 and beyond.

We’re going to get better and we’re not losing anything significant.

ToxSocks 02-10-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543321)
Really?

CEH was a day 1 starter, picked 32nd.

Juan Thornhill was a day 1 starter, picked 63rd.

Chris Jones, 37th. Marcus Peters, 18th. Mitch Morse, 49th. Travis Kelce, 63rd.

They haven't picked high since the first year Andy was here and this team has done pretty well. I don't think it's that big of a problem.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7btNRptqBgLSKR2w" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/latenightseth-whatever-shrug-3o7btNRptqBgLSKR2w">

O.city 02-10-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543321)
Really?

CEH was a day 1 starter, picked 32nd.

Juan Thornhill was a day 1 starter, picked 63rd.

Chris Jones, 37th. Marcus Peters, 18th. Mitch Morse, 49th. Travis Kelce, 63rd.

They haven't picked high since the first year Andy was here and this team has done pretty well. I don't think it's that big of a problem.

It’s been five years since Jones. A lot of those dudes aren’t even here anymore.

I’m not bitching at all. They’ve drafted really well and it looks like there are some potential elite players in the past few years developing nicely.

Just that we need to realize also how hard it is drafting where we are, especially this year with covid and such.

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:19 PM

You have to give guys like Sneed, CEH, Thornhill, Gay, Niang etc. some time to become those guys.

Kelce, Jones, Hill etc. weren’t those guys right away either.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543325)
If upgrading over those dudes is the bar absolutely we can get that.

I’m just saying, say, the de we take thetr isn’t likely to have the immediate impact of a guy taken in the top 5 or whatever. It’s ok, it’s just normal.

I don’t disagree with that but to get where we wanna go next year, I don’t think we need that 1st rounder to be a pro bowler. Just be a solid starter, be available.

We got back to the Super Bowl with a bottom 10 OL, slow footed LBs eating up all the snaps, and a 4-man pass rush that was inconsistent at best. And there is reason to believe all of those things will be better next year while not suffering a drop off anywhere else.

Simply put, injury is the only thing stopping the Chiefs from accomplishing their goals in 2021. Unfortunately, they did stop them this year in conjunction with the OL opt outs.

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543330)
It’s been five years since Jones. A lot of those dudes aren’t even here anymore.

I’m not bitching at all. They’ve drafted really well and it looks like there are some potential elite players in the past few years developing nicely.

Just that we need to realize also how hard it is drafting where we are, especially this year with covid and such.

Umm there’s 1 cornerstone player they drafted since Jones...

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543330)

All the more reason not to zero in on one or two positions and say "damn the torpedos".

O.city 02-10-2021 03:20 PM

Niang is the wild card in that if he can only tackle he’s really cheap and could be really good. We need a lot of those

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543338)
Niang is the wild card in that if he can only tackle he’s really cheap and could be really good. We need a lot of those

Oh he can play T.

It’s just a matter of health.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:23 PM

I remember reading about how Niang played really well against Nick Bosa and Chase Young in college.

I think the talent is there. Kid has a golden opportunity opening up if he wants to take it.

O.city 02-10-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543337)
All the more reason not to zero in on one or two positions and say "damn the torpedos".

I’d do my best to fill holes before the draft so I could just open those picks up to take the good football players that fall because other teams are stupid.

O.city 02-10-2021 03:25 PM

Danna and okafor are fine players but I think you need a young talent at DE. That’s where I’d rather look for at 31

ljmhawk 02-10-2021 03:25 PM

chiefs need a #2 WR, OL, DE and then just find depth

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543352)
Danna and okafor are fine players but I think you need a young talent at DE. That’s where I’d rather look for at 31

They probably need to try to get Taco back and fill that hole somewhat just in case the draft doesn’t work out. He showed some serious promise rushing the passer.

O.city 02-10-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15543358)
They probably need to try to get Taco back and fill that hole somewhat just in case the draft doesn’t work out. He showed some serious promise rushing the passer.

Eh, if he’s cheap. Otherwise look elsewhere

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:32 PM

I'm just so freaking sick of guys who can't suit up because they're hurt all the time.

I'd rather not bring back Okafor or Taco at all and look elsewhere.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543362)
Eh, if he’s cheap. Otherwise look elsewhere

Well he’s gonna be cheap I assume.

And it’s not sign Taco and everything is fine. It’s sign him and continue to look for more at the position afterward. Especially a long term, 3-down player. You can’t have enough of those guys.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543365)
I'm just so freaking sick of guys who can't suit up because they're hurt all the time.

I'd rather not bring back Okafor or Taco at all and look elsewhere.

I don’t mind Taco because his injury was just bad luck, not like a constant muscle strain or anything that predicts more injury in the future.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15543368)
I don’t mind Taco because his injury was just bad luck, not like a constant muscle strain or anything that predicts more injury in the future.

He only came to KC because he couldn't stay healthy in Dallas or Miami. 3 teams in 4 years and hasn't played more than 11 games since his rookie season.

The Franchise 02-10-2021 03:36 PM

I’d still bring back Taco on a cheap one year deal. It wouldn’t stop me from drafting a DE if one falls or there is one they like.

Pants 02-10-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543335)
Umm there’s 1 cornerstone player they drafted since Jones...

Really? I'm not sure I can make that call on Mahomes yet. Let's wait and see.

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:37 PM

Draft Phillips, Oweh, Ossai, or Ojulari and re-sign Taco.

The pass rush would be so much better.

O.city 02-10-2021 03:38 PM

It’s kind of the issue with luck I’m regards to injuries. Shit just happens. The Bucs got healthy at the right time and the chiefs ol just couldn’t especially with fisher goin down.

If taco is cheap and a rotational guy, sure. But you need to start looking long term

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543382)

I'm not sure Ojulari is a good scheme fit. Phillips has the concussion issues.

Oweh I would take for sure.

I think better value might be there at the end of the 2nd, with OT being there in the 1st but we'll see.

The Franchise 02-10-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543382)

I really want them to grab two DEs in this draft. We should be looking for Clark’s replacement in the future.

UChieffyBugger 02-10-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543217)
I wouldn't count on them "fixing" the running game.

Even in the midst of Kareem's 2017 league-leading season, he had 3 or 4 games where he didn't even get 10 carries.

Andy Reid doesn't run the ball like a normal coach. It's part of who he is.

I think they'll work to improve the blocking, especially the pass blocking, but I don't expect special emphasis on the running game.

If Reid doesn't implement a REAL running game then we can forget winning championships moving foward...because teams are simply gonna drop back and dare th3 chiefs to run...it's that simple.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543384)
It’s kind of the issue with luck I’m regards to injuries. Shit just happens. The Bucs got healthy at the right time and the chiefs ol just couldn’t especially with fisher goin down.

If taco is cheap and a rotational guy, sure. But you need to start looking long term

Sorry, but with some guys shit doesn't just happen.

I pounded the table on Dee Ford for a year and people actually got mad at me. He's played in 12 games since signing with San Fran. Some guys just aren't cut out for it physically.

Taco Charlton played 16 games his first season, then 11, 10, and now 7.

There's no way I bring him back, at any salary. He's not dependable.

Pants 02-10-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 15543391)
If Reid doesn't implement a REAL running game then we can forget winning championships moving foward...because teams are simply gonna drop back and dare th3 chiefs to run...it's that simple.

That's the nice thing about dropping 3 safeties 20 yards deep, you don't need a "real" running game to succeed.

If teams start doing it next year, and they won't, CEH will ****ing gash them.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

I think the Chiefs are going to have a situational running game, similar to what they did to Buffalo in week 6.

But a "real" running game, ala Denver or Tennessee that actually runs the ball 25+ times a game consistently? No, it's never going to happen.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Buffalo did that.

The Chiefs protected Mahomes well and he also got the ball out quick to attack that style of defense appropriately.

The Buccaneers didn’t reveal some grand scheme to the league Sunday. Teams have done it before. We were just outmanned and for some reason, the play calling did not seem to be on point either in terms of how to attack that style of defense.

UChieffyBugger 02-10-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543395)
I think the Chiefs are going to have a situational running game, similar to what they did to Buffalo in week 6.

But a "real" running game, ala Denver or Tennessee that actually runs the ball 25+ times a game consistently? No, it's never going to happen.

It happened with Kareem and we haven't had anyone on his level since he left.

O.city 02-10-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543393)
Sorry, but with some guys shit doesn't just happen.

I pounded the table on Dee Ford for a year and people actually got mad at me. He's played in 12 games since signing with San Fran. Some guys just aren't cut out for it physically.

Taco Charlton played 16 games his first season, then 11, 10, and now 7.

There's no way I bring him back, at any salary. He's not dependable.

I agree. I wasn’t really saying any of that in regards to taco.

Injuries just happen though. It’s all about luck it seems

staylor26 02-10-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543388)
I'm not sure Ojulari is a good scheme fit. Phillips has the concussion issues.

Oweh I would take for sure.

I think better value might be there at the end of the 2nd, with OT being there in the 1st but we'll see.

Ojulari is a guy that Spags would have to get creative with, but I think it could be done.

Phillips had concussion issues, but it’s been some time since he did, and he had no issues this past year. You don’t get a top 15 talent like him at 31 if he doesn’t come with some risk. Hell, some people still have him in the top 15.

Oweh and Ossai are probably the cleanest, but Oweh is still very raw.

The thing about all of these guys is they all have the potential to be the best pass rusher in this class.

That’s the kind of value I’m looking at with pick 31.

There are some guys in the 2nd, but not any with that kind of upside.

UChieffyBugger 02-10-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15543397)
Buffalo did that.

The Chiefs protected Mahomes well and he also got the ball out quick to attack that style of defense appropriately.

The Buccaneers didn’t reveal some grand scheme to the league Sunday. Teams have done it before. We were just outmanned and for some reason, the play calling did not seem to be on point either in terms of how to attack that style of defense.

The problem I have is some folks seem resistent to running the damn ball. If Pat has a run game that can carry the offense when the passing game stalls then it would make our offense unstoppable...but some folks are not prepared to evolve smh.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 15543402)
It happened with Kareem and we haven't had anyone on his level since he left.

It didn't happen with Kareem thought, that's just selective memory.

In 2017, when Kareem led the league in rushing, he had 3 games with 9 or less carries. He had another 6 with 18 or less. That's more than half the season when he didn't even notch 20 carries per game.

He had just as many games with 10 or less carries as he did with 25 or more.

Reid doesn't commit to the running game, even with Kareem. It just seemed like he did because when Kareem was on, he was really on.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 15543410)
The problem I have is some folks seem resistent to running the damn ball. If Pat has a run game that can carry the offense when the passing game stalls then it would make our offense unstoppable...but some folks are not prepared to evolve smh.

There’s no need to evolve into an offense that doesn’t lean heavily on Mahomes/Hill/Kelce. That’s what makes this offense an all-time special group.

You have Clyde, and the OL is going to obviously be better. The run game will be better. But we don’t need to try and turn this into a 50/50 ish run/pass team. That plays into the opposition’s hand.

We just need our offensive line not to fall apart by season’s end. Truly.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543403)
I agree. I wasn’t really saying any of that in regards to taco.

Injuries just happen though. It’s all about luck it seems

When guys get hurt every season, it's not bad luck.

It's genetics, physiology, or some combination of the two. Some bodies just aren't made for football.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15543415)
There’s no need to evolve into an offense that doesn’t lean heavily on Mahomes/Hill/Kelce. That’s what makes this offense an all-time special group.

You have Clyde, and the OL is going to obviously be better. The run game will be better. But we don’t need to try and turn this into a 50/50 ish run/pass team. That plays into the opposition’s hand.

Yep.

UChieffyBugger 02-10-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15543414)

In 2017, when Kareem led the league in rushing, he had 3 games with 9 or less carries. He had another 6 with 18 or less. That's more than half the season when he didn't even notch 20 carries per game.

Reid doesn't commit to the running game, even with Kareem. It just seemed like he did because when Kareem was on, he was really on.

You're talking about 18 carries? How often has Ceh had that or more this season? Three or four times? The bottom line is we need a running game that can scare the opposition and be productive!!..if we had one on sunday maybe things would have been different.

Hoover 02-10-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Whether it was Hunt or Damien Williams, our rushing yards from running backs get inflated by long runs. Look at last years super bowl, Williams had 17 carries for 104 yards, but 38. of those yards came on his TD run to ice the game. Which was awesome, but in reality he ran the ball 16 times for 66 yards during the bulk of the game. Hunt put up a ton of yards late in games too. Now I'm not bitching, but the stats don't tell the entire story.

Frankly, I find it odd that so many here were excited about drafting a running back in the first round last year based on how we know Reid uses backs. I think CEH is great, and I just hope we use this kids talent more next season.

The Franchise 02-10-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15543439)
Whether it was Hunt or Damien Williams, our rushing yards from running backs get inflated by long runs. Look at last years super bowl, Williams had 17 carries for 104 yards, but 38. of those yards came on his TD run to ice the game. Which was awesome, but in reality he ran the ball 16 times for 66 yards during the bulk of the game. Hunt put up a ton of yards late in games too. Now I'm not bitching, but the stats don't tell the entire story.

Frankly, I find it odd that so many here were excited about drafting a running back in the first round last year based on how we know Reid uses backs. I think CEH is great, and I just hope we use this kids talent more next season.

We were excited because of his short area agility and his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

UChieffyBugger 02-10-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15543415)

Aaron Rodgers had a run game, Tom Brady had a run game, Drew Brees had a run game, Russell Wilson had run game...but let's just rely on Pat 90 percent of the time? I simply don't agree...there's a reason why the guy is banged up right now smh.

O.city 02-10-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15543444)
We were excited because of his short area agility and his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

And still, value wise, meh.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 15543437)
You're talking about 18 carries? How often has Ceh had that or more this season? Three or four times? The bottom line is we need a running game that can scare the opposition and be productive!!..if we had one on sunday maybe things would have been different.

3 games with less than 10, 2 games with 25 or more.

CEH averaged 14 carries per game.

In 2017, Hunt averaged 17 carries per game.

Not all that different, sorry.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 15543448)
Aaron Rodgers had a run game, Tom Brady had a run game, Drew Brees had a run game, Russell Wilson had run game...but let's just rely on Pat 90 percent of the time? I simply don't agree...there's a reason why the guy is banged up right now smh.

Start writing those letters.

I don't think any of us disagree with you that it would be nice to have more of a running game. But this is Andy Reid, he's been doing this for 20+ years. It isn't going to change.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543449)
And still, value wise, meh.

I’m not going to cry about value taking a RB at the end of the 1st when they got 1st round talent at T and LB, then got incredible value with Sneed, Wharton, and Danna.

Hell, they got 1st round caliber talent at picks 2-4. You’re more than willing to take your choice of a RB at 32 when you follow it up with that.

Just wait till next year. CEH will show you his “value” then.

O.city 02-10-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543455)
I’m not going to cry about value taking a RB at the end of the 1st when they got 1st round talent at T and LB, then got incredible value with Sneed, Wharton, and Danna.

Hell, they got 1st round caliber talent at picks 2-4. You’re more than willing to take your choice of a RB at 32 when you follow it up with that.

Just wait till next year. CEH will show you his “value” then.

But think where they’d be if they added a valuable commodity at 32 to those other guys!

CEH can do all he wants. He’s a really good solid running back. It was still a waste of resource to take one in the first

The Franchise 02-10-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543466)
But think where they’d be if they added a valuable commodity at 32 to those other guys!

CEH can do all he wants. He’s a really good solid running back. It was still a waste of resource to take one in the first

So who would you have taken?

O.city 02-10-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15543468)
So who would you have taken?

Hindsight and all, probably Higgins.

Then let Watkins walk and roll that money into this year

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543466)

Yea a total “waste” :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. The only way it’s a “waste” is if the player is a bust.

Funny how you go from bitching that you can’t get a contribution from late 1st round guys, then the Chiefs take an immediate impact player at a position where’re you’re more likely to get immediate impact and you bitch about that.

O.city 02-10-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543478)
Yea a total “waste” :eyeroll:

What a stupid thing to say. The only way it’s a “waste” is if the player is a bust.

A first round pick is very valuable to you guys. I’d trade them all away but everyone tells me that’s dumb so I’d get fired

But from a value standpoint using a first on a rb is just not gonna max the value of the pick

O.city 02-10-2021 04:21 PM

I bitch about it because they’ve shown over and over to be able to get good production from mid rounders or Udfa at running back.

I never said you can’t get contribution from late first rounders. I said it’s tough to get immediate cornerstone type guys there because that’s just the way the draft goes

Pitt Gorilla 02-10-2021 04:22 PM

I'd like to think there's a guard or two out there that want a ring. I don't know who that is, but I hope they exist.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15543492)
I'd like to think there's a guard or two out there that want a ring. I don't know who that is, but I hope they exist.

Yep.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543483)
A first round pick is very valuable to you guys. I’d trade them all away but everyone tells me that’s dumb so I’d get fired

But from a value standpoint using a first on a rb is just not gonna max the value of the pick

All 1st round picks aren’t equal. We’re talking about the 32nd pick. I wouldn’t draft a RB top 15, but after that when the talent drops off I’m not going to write it off.

Shields68 02-10-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

No but Kareem's value is also increased by his ability in the passing game. Which further helped cause matchup problems.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543491)
I bitch about it because they’ve shown over and over to be able to get good production from mid rounders or Udfa at running back.

I never said you can’t get contribution from late first rounders. I said it’s tough to get immediate cornerstone type guys there because that’s just the way the draft goes

They obviously felt that CEH was a bit more rare than you’re giving him credit for and I agree.

He’s unique in that he can run between the tackles, but he’s also really ****ing good in the passing game. He’s just scratching the surface in the passing game and that’s where his value will come to fruition.

RunKC 02-10-2021 04:30 PM

I do see where guys are coming from in regards to wanting a DE. Raiders games made me realize that pretty quick.

It just sucks that both Its likely the only thing keeping this defense from being a top unit.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:31 PM

Also, this idea that you can find great back so easily later is kind of bullshit.

McCaffrey, Elliot, Cook, Barkley, Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, etc.

The leagues best backs are usually taken fairly early.

I remember when everybody used to point to Phillip Lindsay as the kind of guy you can get late. He hasn’t done much since his rookie year though.

O.city 02-10-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543515)
Also, this idea that you can find great back so easily later is kind of bullshit.

I remember when everybody used to point to Phillip Lindsay as the kind of guy you can get late. He hasn’t done much since his rookie year though.

I agree, like most blue chip players you have to get them early. That’s the problem. They aren’t worth that from the value they add over guys taken later.

The cowboys are the prime example. They took zeke and the lb from notre dame with the messed up knee. The player selected after those picks by the teams behind them were Ramsey and Henry.

This past season you had an Udfa and 3rd rounder up there with the most yardage.

They’re just so easy to find, good ones that is. Not necessarily great ones, but I don’t think a great one is necessary.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543528)
I agree, like most blue chip players you have to get them early. That’s the problem. They aren’t worth that from the value they add over guys taken later.

The cowboys are the prime example. They took zeke and the lb from notre dame with the messed up knee. The player selected after those picks by the teams behind them were Ramsey and Henry.

This past season you had an Udfa and 3rd rounder up there with the most yardage.

They’re just so easy to find, good ones that is. Not necessarily great ones, but I don’t think a great one is necessary.

You’re comparing taking a RB in the top 5 to 32 though.

I’ve already said I understand the rule in the top 15-20. After that, I don’t think it’s nearly the same.

If you’re going to take a RB, the time to do it and maximize value is when you’re ready to win now.

The Cowboys, Panthers, Giants etc. wasted having those guys on their rookie deals.

It won’t be the same for us, another reason why it’s not remotely comparable.

ForeverIowan 02-10-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543515)

Spot on! Look at the best back/s from every division and look where they were picked. If you want to be elite at that position you better make an investment in the draft.

AFC West: Josh Jacobs - 1st round
AFC North: Nick Chubb - 2nd round (pick 35)
AFC South: Derrick Henry - 2nd round
AFC East: Sony Michel - 1st round. Yes, I understand that entire division has shit for RBs.

NFC West: For my money right now Cam Akers - 2nd round
NFC North: Dalvin Cook - 2nd round
NFC South: Christian McCaffrey - 1st round; Alvin Kamara - 3rd round
NFC East: Saquon Barkley - 1st round;
Ezekiel Elliot - 1st round

O.city 02-10-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15543547)
You’re comparing taking a RB in the top 5 to 32 though.

I’ve already said I understand the rule in the top 15. After that, I don’t think it’s nearly the same.

If you’re going to take a RB, the time to do it and maximize value is when you’re ready to win now.

The Cowboys, Panthers, Giants etc. wasted having those guys on their rookie deals.

It won’t be the same for us, another reason why it’s not remotely comparable.

You just listed the list of the beat running backs, the majority of which were picked outside the first round.

It’s comparable from a value standpoint. Wouldn’t you say there’s more value in say having a legit #2 wr va taking a rb in the first?

There’s really no point in arguing it again here. It’s a sunk cost now so you just go with it forward.

staylor26 02-10-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15543553)
You just listed the list of the beat running backs, the majority of which were picked outside the first round.

It’s comparable from a value standpoint. Wouldn’t you say there’s more value in say having a legit #2 wr va taking a rb in the first?

There’s really no point in arguing it again here. It’s a sunk cost now so you just go with it forward.

Yea because I was making a point about the leagues best RB’s not being mid-late picks or UDFA’s.

And no, comparing a top 5 pick to the 32nd is not comparable from a value standpoint. Not even close.

There was no sure fire legit #2 WR. Before you say Higgins again, this team isn’t drafting a big WR with no speed. That doesn’t fit the profile at all.

GloryDayz 02-10-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTEICHER (Post 15542723)
I have ruptured my achilles. It takes 2 years for it to be 90%. It will never be 100%

Did they fix it with strings of meat from you labia?

MahomesMagic 02-10-2021 07:17 PM

A guy that could be a good fit here would be AJ Bouye. He can play man or zone and might get overlooked after a year where he was hurt and then a meh year in Denver.

I would also be open to keeping Breeland at the right price but Bouye is an upgrade and might be a value play.

ForeverIowan 02-10-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15543885)
A guy that could be a good fit here would be AJ Bouye. He can play man or zone and might get overlooked after a year where he was hurt and then a meh year in Denver.

I would also be open to keeping Breeland at the right price but Bouye is an upgrade and might be a value play.

Also going to be suspended for a few games.

Chief Roundup 02-10-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15543885)

Bouye is gonna be pricey. Not in our range for sure.

MahomesMagic 02-10-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 15543990)
Bouye is gonna be pricey. Not in our range for sure.

Maybe. A guy that I think might get less than what people expect.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-10-2021 09:12 PM

A lot of those veteran guys who aren’t at the top of the game anymore will go cheaper than normal. Not enough money to throw around.

CoMoChief 02-10-2021 09:30 PM

I sure hope Frank Clark will consider restructuring his deal.

He got paid big bucks to sack the QB and cause disruption in the backfield.

He's not meeting his end of the bargain....not at his salary. Only Mack and Donald have a bigger cap hit as far as defensive players are concerned.

htismaqe 02-10-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15544134)
I sure hope Frank Clark will consider restructuring his deal.

He got paid big bucks to sack the QB and cause disruption in the backfield.

He's not meeting his end of the bargain....not at his salary. Only Mack and Donald have a bigger cap hit as far as defensive players are concerned.

The only problem with that is that it pushes the issue down the road.

If they redo his deal, he's here even longer. They COULD cut him after 2021 but then again, they'd have to take his cap hit for the year and it's $25M.

Jamie 02-10-2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15544104)
A lot of those veteran guys who aren’t at the top of the game anymore will go cheaper than normal. Not enough money to throw around.

Yeah, I've been thinking our best play might be to hold onto some space and go bargain hunting after the draft.

Titty Meat 02-10-2021 11:51 PM

Every off season we talk about guys restructuring their deals and rarely does it happen. The thread in RR about being unable to face reality is pretty spot on.

New World Order 02-10-2021 11:59 PM

The good thing about Bart Vach is that he's aggressive. If we need to do something, then it will be done.

Titty Meat 02-11-2021 12:01 AM

I have no doubt Veach will find some guys who can contribute for the low and hit on some draft picks.

htismaqe 02-11-2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15544297)
The good thing about Bart Vach is that he's aggressive. If we need to do something, then it will be done.

Very true. It all comes down to what he wants.

Baby Lee 02-11-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 15543203)
Then every time Mahomes get sacked next year we will say 'told told you so'.

:harumph:

We don't have to move heaven and earth to find Shields, Roaf, Waters, but there's a difference between saying 'tires don't win speed records' and driving a Chiron on bias-ply polyglas.

New World Order 02-11-2021 12:23 AM

I'd love TY Hilton on a 1-year rental. Had a down year last year.

Probably won't happen, but maybe a small chance.

KChiefs1 02-11-2021 12:27 AM

Buy off some refs.