ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Report: Orlando Brown requests trade from Ravens, wants to play LT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=337032)

O.city 04-19-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15634536)
For sure, my first choice is to sign a stop gap and draft a LT of the future.

But that doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet, considering they haven't signed said stop gap. That could all change in the draft but until then, trading for Brown at least remains an option. An option that is, to me, much more palatable and a whole lot less risky than potentially trading even more picks to move up 20 spots in the draft to get an unproven rookie to protect Mahomes.

While Brown's skillset may not be ideal, we know from watching him play that it's more than adequate and that he could step in right now and keep Patrick upright. You can't say that about any rookie, even Sewell.

I'm not a fan of paying what we'd have to pay for "adequate" though.

We don't know what he'd be in an offense where he's gotta pass set 35 times a game.

I wouldn't be opposed to Brown, I just don't really care for it.

mkp785 04-19-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15634461)
Nope. But if you’re going to question one player about sitting out an entire year than you’d better question every player that did.

I agree but even if you take that away and as a pure prospect, Sewell is miles ahead of Niang. I understand that the injury dropped him but even a completely healthy Niang isn't going top 10 in this draft. That gives him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to readiness for this upcoming season.

This is to say nothing of the fact that Sewell has played the LT position longer and been more dominant.

Of course none of that matters since we're not getting Sewell.

htismaqe 04-19-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 15634620)
I'm not a fan of paying what we'd have to pay for "adequate" though.

We don't know what he'd be in an offense where he's gotta pass set 35 times a game.

I wouldn't be opposed to Brown, I just don't really care for it.

"More than adequate" is what I said. I believe Brown would be more than adequate.

Again, the Ravens offense is run first but it most certainly isn't the kind of straight ahead power offense that puts their tackles in a phone booth. He had to block the left edge with Jackson running around the way he does.

Dunerdr 04-20-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15634825)
"More than adequate" is what I said. I believe Brown would be more than adequate.

Again, the Ravens offense is run first but it most certainly isn't the kind of straight ahead power offense that puts their tackles in a phone booth. He had to block the left edge with Jackson running around the way he does.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A_U2Xv0xlIA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 04-20-2021 10:23 AM

Looks decent to me, especially pulling clear across the formation like that.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-20-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15635909)

He seems to like to stay upright. He clearly is elite in run blocking and pulling across the formation.

My concerns would be quick speed rushers looking to get around on him. With his large frame, is he agile enough to get in front of them before they get the edge? I haven't seen much tape of him against those guys. Has he gone up against Bosa (Chargers) before and how did he do against him?

Not gonna take the time to look all that up. Just didn't know if anyone knew or had studied that?

ToxSocks 04-20-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15635909)

He'd be the best LT we've had since Roaf, lol.

He's my #1 choice and i still think the Chiefs make a trade for him.

ToxSocks 04-20-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 15635925)
He seems to like to stay upright. He clearly is elite in run blocking and pulling across the formation.

My concerns would be quick speed rushers looking to get around on him. With his large frame, is he agile enough to get in front of them before they get the edge? I haven't seen much tape of him against those guys. Has he gone up against Bosa (Chargers) before and how did he do against him?

Not gonna take the time to look all that up. Just didn't know if anyone knew or had studied that?

He moves much better than his size suggests.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-20-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15635932)
He moves much better than his size suggests.

Clearly he moves well based on his tape above. My concern was more can he get in position quick enough (more leverage, if you will) to keep the speedy guys from getting around him on the edge and blasting Pat in the back.

THAT would be my main concern.

If he can handle or minimize that, then sign me up.

htismaqe 04-20-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 15635956)
Clearly he moves well based on his tape above. My concern was more can he get in position quick enough (more leverage, if you will) to keep the speedy guys from getting around him on the edge and blasting Pat in the back.

THAT would be my main concern.

If he can handle or minimize that, then sign me up.

Check the plays against the Colts. There’s one where he totally stones the rush end with his hand fighting.

Dunerdr 04-20-2021 10:46 AM

Are we under rating that he blocked for jackson who was somewhat bad about holding the ball, then running. He had to be prepared to hold a pass block awhile.

htismaqe 04-20-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15635966)
Are we under rating that he blocked for jackson who was somewhat bad about holding the ball, then running. He had to be prepared to hold a pass block awhile.

I’m not. I’ve mentioned it twice already. ;)

Dunerdr 04-20-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15635968)
I’m not. I’ve mentioned it twice already. ;)

I underestimate your one large all knowing eye. Titan of the planet father of the gods.

Does your username have a cyclops meaning?

TRR 04-20-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 15635966)

Agree with this. Baltimore is a run first offense, but when passing, Lamar runs around a lot. More than Mahomes IMO, and on plays he shouldn’t be holding the ball.

I also think Brown could bring down his playing weight a bit to maximize his athleticism. The guy is a LARGE human being. But hasn’t been in the best of shape.

Couch-Potato 04-20-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 15636008)
Agree with this. Baltimore is a run first offense, but when passing, Lamar runs around a lot. More than Mahomes IMO, and on plays he shouldn’t be holding the ball.

I also think Brown could bring down his playing weight a bit to maximize his athleticism. The guy is a LARGE human being. But hasn’t been in the best of shape.

All that running around in Balt backfield could translate well to what Mahomes does to extend plays. Brown would find Mahomes style refreshing maybe after playing with Lamar.