ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ***The Dee Ford Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283510)

Mr. Laz 08-25-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10848908)
You may as well try to develop his pass-coverage skills. Think of the scheme versatility you acquire with two Houstons rather than Houston + Hali. It frees you up to bring more DJ/Berry/Defensive Back blitz packages and keeps the protection guessing.

might as well put Eric Berry at strong safety, what's the difference

might as well put McCluster err Thomas at RB, see what he can do

herpy derp

Nightfyre 08-25-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10848914)
might as well put Eric Berry at strong safety, what's the difference

might as well put McCluster err Thomas at RB, see what he can do

herpy derp

This post was clearly well-thought out. :shake:

Eric Berry playing single-high would be a waste of his ability to blitz, shed blocks and tackling ability. The only reason you haven't seen that is because we have scrubs at free at the moment.

DAT coming out of the backfield prevents him from being jammed at the line and provides favorable match-ups against nickel-backs, linebackers and safeties.

OldSchool 08-25-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10848908)
You may as well try to develop his pass-coverage skills. Think of the scheme versatility you acquire with two Houstons rather than Houston + Hali. It frees you up to bring more DJ/Berry/Defensive Back blitz packages and keeps the protection guessing.

I'd rather have pass rushers rush the passer than try to cover TEs and RBs.

Leave that to the MLBs, Safeties, and Nickel backs. You know, guys who are supposed to be covering the TEs, Slot WRs, and RBs.

SAUTO 08-25-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dope (Post 10848509)
I really think he will put him there. I think they are just trying to give him, and everyone else on defense for that matter, practice in uncomfortable situations in case there are injuries etc.

Green Bay is doing the same thing this preseason. They are just practicing tough situations in the preseason games with their starters. I like it for two reasons:

1. They will be better prepared for bad situations.

2. They will be pissed off going into the season. They will be tired of looking bad out there because the deck was stacked against them. When Tennessee gets here, the chains are coming off. These guys will be put in situations to make plays.

Might be the dumbest post of the day
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz 08-25-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10848922)
This post was clearly well-thought out. :shake:

Eric Berry playing single-high would be a waste of his ability to blitz, shed blocks and tackling ability. The only reason you haven't seen that is because we have scrubs at free at the moment.

DAT coming out of the backfield prevents him from being jammed at the line and provides favorable match-ups against nickel-backs, linebackers and safeties.

no, it was thought out just fine. You just don't agree with it.

Berry should have been a free safety from the beginning. FS can still blitz and his speed/range would have allowed him to protect our corners. Something we haven't been able to do for years.

You don't have to put an undersized WR in the backfield to protect them from getting jammed. Teams all over the league use motion and picks to free up smaller receivers without taking plays away from a great RB like Charles.

Saccopoo 08-25-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10848934)
I'd rather have pass rushers rush the passer than try to cover TEs and RBs.

Leave that to the MLBs, Safeties, and Nickel backs. You know, guys who are supposed to be covering the TEs, Slot WRs, and RBs.

And who are these versatile players on our roster that play such positions?

OldSchool 08-25-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10849147)
And who are these versatile players on our roster that play such positions?

I absolutely guarantee you that Berry, Abdullah, DJ, JMJ, Bronson, Parker, and Chris Owens can all handle coverage duties much better than any combination of Ford, Houston, and Hali ever could.

Saccopoo 08-25-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10849154)
I absolutely guarantee you that Berry, Abdullah, DJ, JMJ, Bronson, Parker, and Chris Owens can all handle coverage duties much better than any combination of Ford, Houston, and Hali ever could.

I'm not really so sure about Berry.

His coverage skills have been, um, lacking, to this point of his NFL career.

Did you happen to watch the Colts game?

OldSchool 08-25-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10849176)

Sure. But what I'm saying is that it'll be a lot better than having someone like, say, Hali in that role.

Saccopoo 08-25-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10849220)
Sure. But what I'm saying is that it'll be a lot better than having someone like, say, Hali in that role.

One would hope...

OldSchool 08-25-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10849327)
One would hope...

Come on, I don't think he's the best safety in the league either but Berry isn't THAT bad in coverage, lol.

Saccopoo 08-25-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10849361)
Come on, I don't think he's the best safety in the league either but Berry isn't THAT bad in coverage, lol.

He's not what I'd term "good" at the NFL level.

As of right now, he's more LaRon Landry than he is Paul Krause or Deron Cherry.

Aspengc8 08-25-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10849176)

He is horrible in man coverage, serviceable in zone, really shines when allowed to play robber or free roam the middle.

John Dope 08-26-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dope (Post 10848509)
I really think he will put him there. I think they are just trying to give him, and everyone else on defense for that matter, practice in uncomfortable situations in case there are injuries etc.

Green Bay is doing the same thing this preseason. They are just practicing tough situations in the preseason games with their starters. I like it for two reasons:

1. They will be better prepared for bad situations.

2. They will be pissed off going into the season. They will be tired of looking bad out there because the deck was stacked against them. When Tennessee gets here, the chains are coming off. These guys will be put in situations to make plays.

I really think my theory is correct. Check out Bob Sutton's press conference. I put a link below. He talks a lot about putting the defense in bad situations to see how they respond.

Also, I finally had a chance to watch the game. They rushed four most of the night. The one time they rushed six they got a sack. I really liked what I saw and like the strategy to these preseason games.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center...4-65ceeb18ab5b

carcosa 11-30-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 10614266)
The name "Dee Ford" just feels destined to be forgotten.

well...