ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs are releasing RT Eric Winston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270822)

Rausch 03-07-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9473256)
Discarding a 28-year old top-10 LT is how winning teams "do it"?

No...

MarylandChiefsFan 03-07-2013 08:51 AM

Newbie here so pls be kind. My take is that Dorsey and Reid have said they want to change the culture in KC. By this move they have removed an individual that put KC in the media spot light in a negative way. In addition Reid is a passing coach and Winston was good at run blocking but not so much at pass blocking.

tooge 03-07-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9473256)
Discarding a 28-year old top-10 LT is how winning teams "do it"?

Sometimes yes. Like when the Pats let Seymore go. If you can get another first round pick for him, AND get the same guy with a higher cieling that is 6 years younger, with no injury history, and for half the cost, then you do it.

Deberg_1990 03-07-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9473122)
I think this has to be a personal thing for the Chiefs. Maybe Hunt was just that pissed off that Winston went after the fans to the media, or maybe they just want to vanquish the bad blood and felt he wasn't good enough to be worth the bad PR.

MIght have had a lil something to do with it.....

No one should forget this tool threw the fanbase under the bus. The National media had a field day bashing KC fan. Clark had to issue a public statement to defend us.....Whitlock wrote multiple columns to defend us.......Screw this tool.

Rausch 03-07-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473267)
Sometimes yes. Like when the Pats let Seymore go. If you can get another first round pick for him, AND get the same guy with a higher cieling that is 6 years younger, with no injury history, and for half the cost, then you do it.

How often did they trade away pro bowl level offensive lineman?

Direckshun 03-07-2013 08:54 AM

Here's how I fix the OL:

* keep Albert tagged while you try to ink him long term.
* give Stephenson his shot at RT, given that he played decently last year in 6 starts.
* re-up Patterson and Hochstein to solidify interior line depth for another year.
* draft a tackle at solid value in the midrounds for depth.

LT: Albert, draft pick
LG: Allen, Hochstein
C: Hudson, Patterson
RG: Asamoah, Hochstein
RT: Stephenson, draft pick

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandChiefsFan (Post 9473265)
Newbie here so pls be kind. My take is that Dorsey and Reid have said they want to change the culture in KC. By this move they have removed an individual that put KC in the media spot light in a negative way. In addition Reid is a passing coach and Winston was good at run blocking but not so much at pass blocking.

Welcome to the planet man!

I'd agree with you. Definitely more of a run blocker. If true guess Jamaal Charles may as well get use to being a receiving back ala Brian Westbrook or LeSean McCoy....

Direckshun 03-07-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandChiefsFan (Post 9473265)

I think you're reading into it too much.

The NFL is all about value. How much can you sign a guy for vs. how much will he give you.

Winston just was too much in the wrong direction on that equation.

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9473254)
I don't see a team giving up a 1st rd pick + signing Albert to a huge deal when they can a) draft a OT at a lower salary or b) sign a FA and keep their draft pick.

Yep, a lot of OT's in FA and a deep draft for OT.

Albert's options aren't too vast.

MarylandChiefsFan 03-07-2013 08:57 AM

Thanks

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9473275)
I think you're reading into it too much.

The NFL is all about value. How much can you sign a guy for vs. how much will he give you.

Winston just was too much in the wrong direction on that equation.

Do you think Scooter overpaid for Winston and that's why Reid/Dorsey decided to cut him?

I heard a rumor that he was injured, but haven't seen much about it since.

DaKCMan AP 03-07-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473267)

Seymour was 30 with 8 years in the league. Albert is 28 with 5 years in the league.

Direckshun 03-07-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9473281)
Do you think Scooter overpaid for Winston and that's why Reid/Dorsey decided to cut him?

I heard a rumor that he was injured, but haven't seen much about it since.

I'm thinking it had to do with an injury, yes.

I thought we got Winston for fair market value, however, when we got him. So if Winston was healthy, this is a head-scratcher for me.

We'll see, I guess. If he's starting for somebody next year, that'll answer that.

MarylandChiefsFan 03-07-2013 09:01 AM

Is there a good RT that excels at pass blocking in FA that could be gotten cheap?

tooge 03-07-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9473272)
How often did they trade away pro bowl level offensive lineman?

THis is a unique situation for KC. NE wasn't in the top ten, and perhaps they didn't have an offensive lineman that was a probowler that was on up for FA at the same time as a solid LT was coming out, and there were good FA tackles available. You can't compare the two.

I'm simply stating a fact. That fact is this: If you have a LT that is 28 yo with a history of a back injury, and another team will give you a mid first round pick for him, and you have the first pick in the draft, with a very solid young LT coming into the draft, and you can get him at half the cost of the guy you currently have, you do it. Why wouldn't you?