ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Incident at P&L District shocks DJ Jazzy Jeff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208730)

Phobia 06-09-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5827057)
Agreed

Well said. I know there tends to be alot of trash come out in threads like this, but if it helps enlighten just one person, its served alot of good.

Indeed. I've been enlightened. I'm not perfect but I'm not what I once was.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-09-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5827017)
I said workboots are not a derivative of gang culture.
That's a true statement. They aren't an indicator.
The first link in that chain was about the most broad evaluation of gang culture that I've ever read. I was frequently truant from Middle School on and I can't count how many times I've used the word "homeboy". Guess I'm a gangbanger too...

I'm sure gang members might also incorporate Vans into their wardrobes.
So let's be sure to ban all Van-wearing patrons as well.
:rolleyes:

you don't know what derivative means do you?

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5826743)
Yes it's much more palatable that the officials hated hip-hop so much they shut DJJJ down. And despite that fact that they hated hip-hop so much they allowed DJs to be booked without checking to see if hip-hop would be played.

You're right. Because obviously they're so keen on the Hip Hop world seeing how they have exactly zero establishments in their complex that cater to it.

blaise 06-09-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5827081)
You're right. Because obviously they're so keen on the Hip Hop world seeing how they have exactly zero establishments in their complex that cater to it.

That's not the issue. The issue would be whether they were so outraged by hio-hop being played that they shut it down mid-set.

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5826810)
http://www.kansascity.com/news/break...y/1240513.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 8, 2009

Media Contact: Jon Stephens 816-547-7904 jstephens@cordish.com

STATEMENT REGARDING DJ JAZZY JEFF PERFORMANCE

On Saturday night Kansas City Live! was proud to feature a DJ performance by Jazzy Jeff. Jazzy Jeff is a tremendous artist with a long and successful history in the hip-hop/rap music genre and KC Live! was honored to have Jazzy Jeff play the venue. The event played by Jazzy Jeff was the second year of a similar promotion, last years featuring Mix Master Mike. We were delighted to feature the music that Jazzy Jeff is famous for. That is why he was scheduled to perform and his performance was excellent and exactly what we expected when he was scheduled.

The problem that occurred was solely technical in nature. KC Live! is not a traditional concert venue and thus the sound amplification and the type of sound waves compatible with the overall sound system are an issue with some production companies accustomed to concert venue shows. Whenever possible KC Live! handles the production of the shows however this artist supplied his own production staff. Thirty minutes into his performance the venue production engineers repeatedly informed the artists production staff that the system was being red-lined and that volume needed to be lowered to prevent damage to the system. The artists personnel ultimately refused and the artist terminated the concert for that reason. To characterize this incident in racial terms is absurd and illogical. We scheduled Jazzy Jeff proudly, knowing exactly his repertoire of music.

There was in fact extensive damage done to the system due to the performance. There are twelve high end drivers in the main cabinets of the sound system. Nine of the twelve high end drivers of the sound system were permanently damaged by the "square" sound wave being sent from the artists production which put the overall system is distress. Had the levels been adjusted in a quick manner the system would not have been damaged. Problems in aligning artist and venue production have occurred with other performers, for example the rock and roll band Lights and Siren stopped in mid concert to prevent damage to the sound system.

We would happily have Jazzy Jeff return as often as his schedule would accommodate and he is booked at another facility which is affiliated with Kansas City Live!

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/18776

I won't deny that Power & Light District owner Cordish Co. was clumsy in its handling of the dress code flap.

In fact, I slammed Cordish execs for 1) being overbearing in applying the dress code (since revised) and 2) making one PR mistake after another in trying to quell the controversy.

However, I think the P&L is getting a bad rap when it comes to this weekend's dustup over DJ Jazzy Jeff .

You can find details in this story, columns like this one and elsewhere across the blogosphere.

But here's my take:

The P&L's explanation for what happened makes loads more sense than the cries of discrimination we're hearing.

The performer claims he was kicked off the stage at the Kansas City Live Pavilion because of his choice of music. Hip hop.

Whereas P&L spokesman Jon Stephens said DJ Jazzy Jeff left in a snit after being told to turn the music down because the volume could blow the speaker system.

This being Kansas City, some are trying to turn this into a racial thing. And it could be, I suppose, a case of someone at P&L not being comfortable with the music or the crowd it drew over the weekend.

But that presupposes that the level of Cordish Co. cluelessness is beyond all bounds, that company officials didn't realize that a guy who made his name on Hip Hop would show up for a concert and not play that kind of music.

Nobody is that stupid.

Which is why Stephens' explanation about the sound system makes perfect sense to me.

And so does it seem plausible that a performer with a huge ego might behave in a childish manner by walking off the stage because he couldn't have everything his way.

Just saying.

It's not funny, though. Kansas City needs the Power & Light District to succeed.

So until there's more proof to say there was anything more to this than a dispute over the sound system, everyone needs to calm down.

Not everything that happens at the P&L automatically fits into the racial narrative.

Well that solves that.
Because Jon Stephens said so.

We'll forget the fact that he told my very Jewish friend, who so happens to be a local reporter, that they were not at all examining their warranties or insurance for said system to determine their recourse. Neither were they going to hold Jazzy Jeff responsible financially. It'll be an out of pocket expense. Makes perfect sense.

blaise 06-09-2009 10:46 AM

micjones- please state exactly why you think he was shut down.

Mr. Krab 06-09-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5827100)

Cuz dey hatin' da blacks.

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5827076)
you don't know what derivative means do you?

Let's see...

Quote:

Main Entry: 1de·riv·a·tive
Pronunciation: \di-ˈri-və-tiv\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
2: something derived

de⋅rive  /dɪˈraɪv/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-rahyv] Show IPA verb, -rived, -riv⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
5. to come from a source or origin; originate (often fol. by from).
Apparently no.

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5827100)

For what reason Blaise? You aren't going to change your mind.
You've got this all figured out.

blaise 06-09-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5827097)
Well that solves that.
Because Jon Stephens said so.

We'll forget the fact that he told my very Jewish friend, who so happens to be a local reporter, that they were not at all examining their warranties or insurance for said system to determine their recourse. Neither were they going to hold Jazzy Jeff responsible financially. It'll be an out of pocket expense. Makes perfect sense.

It makes about as much sense as the claim they allowed DJJJ to be hired, get all his stuff set up and start performing and then suddenly, shockingly discovered he played Biz Markie and Rhianna and were so outraged they shut him down.

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 5826799)
I can't believe this is still going. Once the truth came out that they blew the speakers it should have gone away.

People are nuts.

And exactly when did the truth come out?

blaise 06-09-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5827114)
For what reason Blaise? You aren't going to change your mind.
You've got this all figured out.

So we know where you stand. Is there a problem expressing that?

mikeyis4dcats. 06-09-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5827108)
Let's see...

Apparently no.

guess not. Gangs were wearing work boots clear back into the 50s when they began to explode. They may not be a leading indicator of today's gang involvement, but they are one example of a clothing type brought into vogue by gangs in the past, and are still favored by some.

Mr. Krab 06-09-2009 10:53 AM

The only remotely feasible reason i can see is if DJJJ started playing some songs with some rude lyrics. I mean if they breaking out some serious "gangsta" rap they could of received so complaints around the 100th time they screamed "I'll **** all you white ho's to death with my big black dick"

Micjones 06-09-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 5827062)
This is exactly what I was trying to say yesterday. I also think it's important for those same minorities to listen to the experiences of their caucasion counterparts and recognize that there are a portion of minorities who use the race card to rationalize their own failures.

I recognize that, but I think it's quite a bit silly to make yourself an arbiter of what are real and genuine instances of racism.