ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

BWillie 01-09-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9297534)
Barkley, Smith, and Wilson will ALL be gone at #34 and it's likely Glennon will be as well.

Your entire scenario is based on something that won't happen. If we don't take a QB at #1, WE'RE NOT GETTING ONE. It's that simple. Anybody else will take will be a backup/developmental project.

Okay fine...trade down to #20 or so. Make a deal to get another mid #1 pick by trading someone accompanied by giving away some of your 4th and 5ths or something. My point is if you value 5 QBs equally, and one of them is still gonna be there later.....it is pointless to waste it on a QB on the very #1 pick of the draft.

the Talking Can 01-09-2013 11:02 AM

walters has:

Geno #1
Glennon #8
Barkely #33
Wilson #38
Nassib #39
Jones #68
Bray #76

Rausch 01-09-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9299552)
Decastro LMAO

I'm guessing that's based on his injury and lack of productivity...

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9299589)
Okay fine...trade down to #20 or so. Make a deal to get another mid #1 pick by trading someone accompanied by giving away some of your 4th and 5ths or something. My point is if you value 5 QBs equally, and one of them is still gonna be there later.....it is pointless to waste it on a QB on the very #1 pick of the draft.

You have to have someone willing to pay the price to trade up to No. 1 for that to happen. Easier said than done.

Your logic (if you value 5 equally and one will be there later) isn't off, but there are some potential problems with it:

1) It assumes the Chiefs rate Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Glennon and Bray (or whomever the fifth guy is) equally. That is not necessarily the case (and I'd bet that there is separation between the top 3 and the rest of the pack by draft day).
2) It assumes you have correctly gauged the way the draft is going to go and how other teams are leaning.

Nightmare scenario would be for the Chiefs to trade down and get stuck picking from the second tier. Which is possible even at No. 20, if there are 2-3 guys that have separated themselves.

RunKC 01-09-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9299586)
walterfootball has udpdated its 3 round mock today

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

wow...he has glennon at 8...wilson at 38

This is all because the media (ahem Kiper) is pumping up Glennon simply because he has the strongest arm and best size in the draft.

Wilson's going to beat that ass at the Senior Bowl and you will see Wilson at 8 and Glennon at 38 by next month.

the Talking Can 01-09-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9299634)
This is all because the media (ahem Kiper) is pumping up Glennon simply because he has the strongest arm and best size in the draft.

Wilson's going to beat that ass at the Senior Bowl and you will see Wilson at 8 and Glennon at 38 by next month.

i like wilson, and think it is crazy he wouldn't be a first round pick...walters is usually very pro-QB, so weird to see this list

Rausch 01-09-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9299638)
i like wilson, and think it is crazy he wouldn't be a first round pick...walters is usually very pro-QB, so weird to see this list

Despite the trend of teams trading up and reaching for QB's I think they'll fall this year.

Even after the workouts and combine.

There will be two big hits early and then everyone else will fall...

ncCHIEFfan 01-09-2013 11:13 AM

I don't understand all this talk about trading down. We won 2 games. Pick the best player at each spot. Smith/Wilson are the best players at #1.........Why do we make this difficult?

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9299634)

Glennon also signed with the No. 2 sports agent (David Dunn). Dunn's guys don't get as much love from the ESPN group (Kiper, McShay, Mort, Schefter) as CAA guys, but they get a hell of a lot more than Select Sports Group's clients.

Wilson and Barkley are both with CAA. Watch. They are going to get pumped like crazy as time goes on... especially by the ESPN "gurus."

htismaqe 01-09-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9299543)
who covers the senior bowl practices and the combine?

someone had a podcast last year, i thought, that was pretty good

Scott Wright will have daily breakdowns on his website. He's pretty thorough.

the Talking Can 01-09-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9299687)
Scott Wright will have daily breakdowns on his website. He's pretty thorough.

thanks...that's the guy

htismaqe 01-09-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9299478)
Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41
QBs at Senior Bowl will see Cover 1, Cover 3 & throw base route tree. That's it. More about technique, footwork, skill set.

This is probably the reason why Geno declined.

The questions people have with Geno are mainly his football IQ for a pro style offense since he's played in the spread for the last 2 years.

That's what the combine is for.

Some of Tyler Wilson's biggest questions are his footwork and his weird throwing motion. I bet he knew about this and wants to prove to NFL coaches that he can improve on those things.

Clearly a lot more to gain for Wilson here than Geno.

I have to be careful how much I praise Mr. Matt Bowen. He's a Hawkeye. ;)

htismaqe 01-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

You have to have a trade partner. There won't be one.

If we don't want a QB, nobody does.

The_Doctor10 01-09-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9299401)
ROFL

You know what the delicious irony is in calling him "checkdown"?

The word "checkdown" means to literally CHECK down. It means your first read isn't open, so you go to your outlet, thus "checking down".

So either he locks on to his primary receiver or he's "checkdown". He CAN'T be both.

I don't like people calling him a 1st read qb, simply because if you have eyes he's very clearly not. His offense has a lot of wr screens, short quick underneath stuff, rb screens, all designed to get the ball out of his hands ASAP because his line can't block for shit.

So what does he do? He executes his gameplan. He gets the wr screen out there half a second after he has the ball. He hits wrs in stride and on their proper shoulders. When time allows, he surveys the field. Given that he never runs and always has his eyes looking for someone when he has to scramble, I'm still wondering why anyone can possibly call him a 1-read qb.

suds79 01-09-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

My point is if you value 5 QBs equally, and one of them is still gonna be there later.....it is pointless to waste it on a QB on the very #1 pick of the draft.

I would strongly question that evaluation then.

Historically when you look at past few drafts, there's a huge drop off between the 1st QB to the 3rd. Let alone going 5th down the list.

It's just unrealistic.