ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Inflation Watch Thread - Holy Guacamole (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262083)

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8793391)
You have Espresso at the office? Damn man.

A Rancilio, it rocks!!!

btlook1 08-05-2012 06:00 PM

It's the same here in SeKs. People are already feeding hay they had reserved for this winter. We have no grass and what little we do is brown and dried up.
getting a whole beef is expensive but worth it in the long run....never again will we eat Wal-mart beef. We put our last 4-h steer in the freezer last year. Costs us about 2K to purchase, feed and process but it was worth it. I now have approx 1.5 beef in the freezer....stock up as things may get rough this winter price wise!

Bwana 08-05-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793430)
They are cheap anyway, even new.

If I was hunting down an extra freezer, I would try to find an older one. The compressors in the new ones are made to run 3-5 years, complete garbage. Some of those older ones would work for decades. It is worth takign the time to find an older one and you should be able to rip it, if someone is moving, IMHO. Craigs List.

Kyle DeLexus 08-05-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793377)
It was worth buying. A joy to prepare and devour. My wife made noises eating it usually reserved for other rooms. #winning

She faked an orgasm at the dinner table? :)

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793451)
If I was hunting down an extra freezer, I would try to find an older one. The compressors in the new ones are made to run 3-5 years, complete garbage. Some of those older ones would work for decades. It is worth takign the time to find an older one and you should be able to rip it, if someone is moving, IMHO. Craigs List.

thats some top notch advise. :thumb:

Bwana 08-05-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka (Post 8793440)
Did you see them behind the glass and pick out what you wanted?

One can do that, for sure. I was there long before I was married, 1995, or 1996. I guess things haven't changed much.

Bwana 08-05-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793456)
thats some top notch advise. :thumb:

There are freezers out there that are 50 plus years old still going strong. An older one may not be the eye candy of a modern one, but eye candy doesn't do you much good if it craps out and you have $1500 worth of meat that's DOA.

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

They are making everything to fail these days, I'm not surprised.

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 06:12 PM

I'll tell you another thing that's not going down in price, airline tickets. We ain't flying the friendly sky anymore boys.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793470)
There are freezers out there that are 50 plus years old still going strong. An older one may not be the eye candy of a modern one, but eye candy doesn't do you much good if it craps out and you have $1500 worth of meat that's DOA.

yeah, you may think the new ones are better but those older ones were designed to last 50 years, the new ones 5-10.

Going to be checking Craigslist soon. I've yet to find a quality meat place down here. Going to have to search a little harder.

I can't live live without my meat and some BBQ every once in a while. My as well spend some money now and save money now.

Bwana 08-05-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793477)
They are making everything to fail these days, I'm not surprised.

There are a lot of products (most) that are built with planned obsolescence.

lewdog 08-05-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I want to get a freeze soon even though it is just my girlfriend and I, but when meat is on sale, I like to stock up.

What about the electricity efficiency of a newer vs older model and how much would a small freezer really add to your electric bill each month?

mikeyis4dcats. 08-05-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793482)
yeah, you may think the new ones are better but those older ones were designed to last 50 years, the new ones 5-10.

Going to be checking Craigslist soon. I've yet to find a quality meat place down here. Going to have to search a little harder.

I can't live live without my meat and some BBQ every once in a while. My as well spend some money now and save money now.

except the old ones use 3 times the electricity. We replaced an old freezer with a new one a few years ago, and the monthly difference was very noticeable.

the problem most people have is they put at freezer in the garage, and that will wear out a compressor. you want it indoors.

mikeyis4dcats. 08-05-2012 06:20 PM

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-old-freez...y-1046517.html

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8793490)
Interesting. I want to get a freeze soon even though it is just my girlfriend and I, but when meat is on sale, I like to stock up.

What about the electricity efficiency of a newer vs older model and how much would a small freezer really add to your electric bill each month?

i've read that a new full size chest freezer cost about 30 bucks a year to run.

new ones are more efficient so i don't know about an older model