ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Roy, Are there still some strong feelings for Kansas? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182346)

Easy Money 04-02-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4662574)
No, it does not speak to your point. Spott used the fact that Roy's recruits were 1st round and lottery picks to demonstrate his recruiting prowess. There was no mention of how good they are/were/will be in the NBA. Good college players does not equal good NBA player, you have that much right. But the fact is that the best, and championship-caliber, college teams have multiple guys move on to the NBA and Roy's team's met that criteria.

Look, if you want to say Roy > Self at recruiting, fine, but don't forget Self, too, has recruited NBA talent. However, I still stand by my original post that Roy would've never gotten Rush, Collins or Wright and probably a few others. If you want to go ahead and match top to bottom the talent that Self and Roy have recruited since the divorce, by all means. I bet you'd take self's team any day.

DaKCMan AP 04-02-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Money (Post 4662675)
Look, if you want to say Roy > Self at recruiting, fine, but don't forget Self, too, has recruited NBA talent. However, I still stand by my original post that Roy would've never gotten Rush, Collins or Wright and probably a few others. If you want to go ahead and match top to bottom the talent that Self and Roy have recruited since the divorce, by all means. I bet you'd take self's team any day.

I'm not making an argument that one is better than the other at recruiting. I'm just saying that bashing Roy's recruiting is ridiculous because I consider some of Roy's best recruits (Pierce, LaFrentz, Collison) to be better than some of Self's best recruits (Rush, Collins, Chalmers, Arthur). Self's '07-'08 team is obviously deeper than any of Roy's teams.

Easy Money 04-02-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4662689)
I'm not making an argument that one is better than the other at recruiting. I'm just saying that bashing Roy's recruiting is ridiculous because I consider some of Roy's best recruits (Pierce, LaFrentz, Collison) to be better than some of Self's best recruits (Rush, Collins, Chalmers, Arthur). Self's '07-'08 team is obviously deeper than any of Roy's teams.

Since I never "bashed" Roy's recruiting, I'm not sure what you're disagreement is with what I posted. If rot were still here and Self at Illinois, Illinois would be a powerhouse by now, while KU would still be the same old can't-get-over-the-hump team that defined the Roy era.

DJay23 04-02-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4662689)

Personally I see the difference as quantity. While Self will bring in as many top flight recruits as he can, Roy had a plan where he brought in 2 or 3 cornerstone players and then the next year only recruit role players to fill out the roster. Roys teams were never that deep beyond 1-5 or 6 players. Roys system worked to a point, and actually should have worked in '03 if we had made our free throws. It seems he's tried to change that recently. I think it's all because he wouldn't compete with UNC when he was at KU. Now he doesn't seem to have a problem with competing with KU at UNC which is fine and the right way to do it, just seems like he short changed KU as far as recruits when he was there.

teedubya 04-02-2008 11:34 AM

I would say DaKCMan, that if you win the National Championship... you look more appealing and have a great chance at getting drafted. JMO