ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Seriously, how did we look last night? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188760)

little jacob 08-08-2008 05:04 PM

offense better than expected. defense worse than expected. but the defense was missing some key personnel

aturnis 08-08-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorseybowe (Post 4902357)
He did. Made good throws. Made good decisions. Ran for first down. Changed the plays on the line. Essentially 6-8, if you remove Franklin falling down and Bowe running too deep of a route. Bottom line: 80 yd drive. What else can we ask for?

Does throwing the ball away count as an attempt? I'm sure it does, just wondering out loud. I remember him throwing out of bounds to the right. Was that the one where Bowe ran too deep?

aturnis 08-08-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4902273)
Barth was MUCH better than Novak.

And I had this horrible deja-vu after we took the lead with a minute to go, that the bears would run the KO back for a TD.

Novak did his part, by driving the KO to the TEN YARD LINE.

:cuss:

Here's how they faired according to Gretz-

The kicking competition remains very close. Rookie Connor Barth hit a 37-yard FG and a pair of extra points. Nick Novak made his PAT kick as well. Novak kicked off four times, booting the ball to the 8, 3, 6 and 10-yard lines. Barth had just one kickoff, that one falling at the 7-yard line.

Reaper16 08-08-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 4902531)
I think we're okay at DT. Boone will play there sometimes, but Dorsey, Edwards and Tank are a decent DT tandem. Throw in Boone and we're alright for a couple more years until either Boone or Edwards breaks down.

It's the edges where we're in trouble. Hali isn't a #1 guy, and we desperately need a #1 guy. We may not even have a #3 guy, and Johnston has a season to show if he's that guy.

Turk can fit in there somewhere, I imagine. But who knows.

I'm not ready to write off Tamba as not "a #1 guy" based on one quarter of pre-season play with no serviceable compliment DE. I don't know how you can outright dismiss him at this point.

Baby Lee 08-08-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 4902565)
The real problem was our failures at identifying Defensive Line talent.
That's what cost this O-Line. We invested far too many picks in the D-Line and gave only low-round commitments to Offensive Line prospects.

That's the answer. We have a horrible D and all world O-line, DV wanted to win now, and picked a buttload of horrible D-linemen.

Micjones 08-08-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4902617)
That's the answer. We have a horrible D and all world O-line, DV wanted to win now, and picked a buttload of horrible D-linemen.

The Chiefs have already begun the path to turning that culture around.

aturnis 08-08-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 4902614)
I'm not ready to write off Tamba as not "a #1 guy" based on one quarter of pre-season play with no serviceable compliment DE. I don't know how you can outright dismiss him at this point.

Tamba hasn't done anything really in camp, not even against Herb Taylor. I am VERY worried!

Hammock Parties 08-08-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 4902640)
Tamba hasn't done anything really in camp, not even against Herb Taylor. I am VERY worried!

Yep. As a former first-rounder, Tamba should be dominating dudes like Herb Taylor. It's very concerning.

JuicesFlowing 08-08-2008 05:54 PM

No matter how "rusty" LJ looked, it was still nice to see him running angry. His stats weren't much, but he had some decent runs, and he was hitting people, instead of getting buried. I like the new running scheme.

Rain Man 08-08-2008 06:09 PM

Without going through the whole thread, I was pretty impressed with that Savage guy at running back.

In preseason, I'll tend to pick a couple of guys and watch them consistently. I watched Adrian Jones on offense and Tank on defense. Jones had one highly visible bad play where he didn't pull fast enough and his guy nailed LJ for a six-yard loss, but on straight-ahead runs he was pushing his guy backwards. Tank was more or less doing the same on defense.

Carr and #39, who I never could identify, were getting burned a bit on defense, it seemed.

I thought Croyle looked good. It seems like he's got a pretty fast release.

KcMizzou 08-08-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 4902113)
There was almost NO QB pressure, YES we will miss JA. Dorsey can only get so much pressure up the middle but if he garners double teams then maybe it will free up Hali or somebody.

That push up the middle will help the outside guys too. I mean, Dorsey's not gonna get a bunch of sacks. The key is taking away the QB's ability to step up in the pocket and/or flushing them to the outside where a DE can gobble them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 4902113)
One note that I didn't see mentioned was Croyle's audibles...he seemed to do a nice job, he looked in control and not scared like last year. It was nice to see them ADJUST at the line instead of trying to run up the middle against an obvious 8 man front or something.

That was awesome... and long overdue.

I think going from Solari to Gailey might be our biggest upgrade of the offseason.

Hammock Parties 08-08-2008 06:20 PM

Carr IS #39

Skip Towne 08-08-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 4902665)
Without going through the whole thread, I was pretty impressed with that Savage guy at running back.

In preseason, I'll tend to pick a couple of guys and watch them consistently. I watched Adrian Jones on offense and Tank on defense. Jones had one highly visible bad play where he didn't pull fast enough and his guy nailed LJ for a six-yard loss, but on straight-ahead runs he was pushing his guy backwards. Tank was more or less doing the same on defense.

Carr and #39, who I never could identify, were getting burned a bit on defense, it seemed.

I thought Croyle looked good. It seems like he's got a pretty fast release.

I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him. He's a good Oklahoma State boy.

Hammock Parties 08-08-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4902680)
I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him.

If only you had been reading WPI camp reports...

KcMizzou 08-08-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4902680)
I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him. He's a good Oklahoma State boy.

That kid runs like his ass is on fire. I like him.

So many running backs though... maybe he'll win the KR job.