ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop If you dont get this POS server fixed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236416)

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150418)
Eh, maybe, but I doubt it. The basic underlying condition is that we occasionally have a query that just gets "stuck." Many times, it's a completely innocuous query (like the one that grabs the posts for a thread), so it's not that the specific query is the issue. But when one gets stuck, it locks the POST table, which causes tons of others to back up behind it.

Most of the time, the stuck query eventually finishes up, and the rest then complete. That's what is happening when we have a 15-30 second lag here and there.

Other times, the query just gets stuck for an insane amount of time. They're supposed to time out after a few minutes, but often don't for some reason. When that happens, it can take the place down for a long time until MySQL eventually croaks and resets itself. By that point, the stuck query has driven our server loads through the roof, so it takes even longer for the average load to come back down far enough for vB to let people back in. That's generally the issue we've seen on gamedays.

I THINK it has something to do with our memory allocation (key_buffers and stuff like that), but my tweaks don't seem to make any difference.

If you can explain to the people I sent you the PM about, I am almost positive they can fix something like that. I just make a ticket out and the problem is fixed within a few hours and they tell you exactly what they did too.

BossChief 11-06-2010 06:18 PM

I propose a "SAVE THE AIDS TREE" fund raiser.

I have a nice Chiefs leather coat that I don't wear anymore, but is a custom made one of a kind coat I would donate for a raffle or just outright bidding with proceeds going towards the planets new server if it would help.

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 7150426)
You dont restart MYSQL when it lags? it's an automated reset?

When the server load gets very high, sometimes you have to wait until it crashes if the server is in a remote location because the admin can't get in there either...

It's kinda like an hourglass and a bottleneck effect, your command gets processed when your sand gets through...

Buck 11-06-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7150447)
I propose a "SAVE THE AIDS TREE" fund raiser.

I have a nice Chiefs leather coat that I don't wear anymore, but is a custom made one of a kind coat I would donate for a raffle or just outright bidding with proceeds going towards the planets new server if it would help.

I have a pair of slightly used (Like New) nuthooks that I'd donate.

Bane 11-06-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7150474)

We'll need those for Dungver week mother****er!:cuss:

teedubya 11-06-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7150474)

if you are going to sell them on Ebay... have the auction end on a Sunday night. :evil:

Otter 11-06-2010 07:12 PM

How much money did you donate? It's not free to keep this site up. It's actually pretty ****ing expensive.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass you weirdo.

QuikSsurfer 11-06-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150337)
Hardware may indeed be the answer, but I don't know enough to know for sure. My gut feeling is that the issue has to do with the configuration of our database software. Web applications are significantly more complicated than your typical home computer application when it comes to how you set it up and how to make it run optimally (at least on the scale we're using it).

I would imagine updating the hardware would help slightly... I could email one of my old college instructors (we're xbox live buddies too) and check if he has the time to help with the SQL.
I also donated.. BOLD ME

DaFace 11-06-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 7150662)
I would imagine updating the hardware would help slightly... I could email my one of my old college instructors (we're xbox live buddies too) and check if he has the time to help with the SQL.
I also donated.. BOLD ME

Just to clarify, the SQL statements themselves are set by vBulletin, so there's not any need for help there. However, indexing schemes and configuration (via my.cnf) are both possible places to tweak.

Oh, and I don't have anything to do with the bold stuff. Kyle should get to it when he's back from his trip.

QuikSsurfer 11-06-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150664)
Just to clarify, the SQL statements themselves are set by vBulletin, so there's not any need for help there. However, indexing schemes and configuration (via my.cnf) are both possible places to tweak.

Understood. I'll drop him an email early this week.

Dave Lane 11-06-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150294)
Well, kind of. A server upgrade would help, but chances are, that doesn't happen until the end of the season regardless. That would require substantial downtime and is beyond my expertise.

That said, we have NEVER operated in the black for more than a month or two at a time, so I'm sure Kyle would appreciate any help.

Crap well back in the day when I think the server was being run on a 286 I stepped up for a couple years and put a server online for the planet to use. I don't have the access to the pipes I used to have but surely a 1 or 2U server that is dedicated to the planet could handle the load without a problem. The hosting has to be cheap.

I do know where here in KC I can get a colo on a new NAP that is going in cheap if anyone wants to have me check it out. They have been bugging me to put something down there. Maybe I can get a us a server and host it there.

Let me know if there is an interest.

Dave Lane 11-06-2010 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of me and Chiefsplanet with it actually taking posts and running on 1/8/02

Blast from the past.

CHENZ A! 11-06-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 7149794)
Im leaving forever. :grr:

*que Curly Bill

piiyob

Psyko Tek 11-06-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 7150094)
What I contribute is far more valuable than money.

nothing personal, but who are you and why the **** should I care?

and Curly Bill says " not another one"

DaFace 11-06-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 7150681)
Crap well back in the day when I think the server was being run on a 286 I stepped up for a couple years and put a server online for the planet to use. I don't have the access to the pipes I used to have but surely a 1 or 2U server that is dedicated to the planet could handle the load without a problem. The hosting has to be cheap.

I do know where here in KC I can get a colo on a new NAP that is going in cheap if anyone wants to have me check it out. They have been bugging me to put something down there. Maybe I can get a us a server and host it there.

Let me know if there is an interest.

Eh, that's Kyle's department. Part of the reason I have my doubts that hardware is the (only) issue, though, is our server really isn't that bad. We're on a Dual-Xeon 1.86GHz system with 4GB of RAM. You wouldn't think that would be the issue, but who knows?