ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Daniel-Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253139)

Easy 6 11-17-2012 05:56 PM

Having lived in springfield, ill and spent many afternoons at Lincolns New Salem near petersburg illinois and currently living very near a town where Lincoln famously debated Douglas, the Lincoln museum twice... i've basically been numbed to the entire idea of the man, it gets old living around it.

But, this movie is going to be great and i hope it makes me a little more proud to have seen many of his homes, offices, walked in his footsteps etc.

Lewis is going to kill it.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 9125786)
Anyone seen this yet?
I'm deciding between seeing this or Argo tonight.

What are you in the mood for? Fast-paced action? Go with Argo. Lincoln is good, but its pace is slow.

Both are great, though.

JD10367 11-17-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 9125786)
Anyone seen this yet?
I'm deciding between seeing this or Argo tonight.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago on the Disney cruise ship. It was a good movie, but it was very slow paced (not exactly an action flick). And it's actually misnamed; it's really not that much about Lincoln. It's about the months surrounding the passage of the 13th Amendment. Powerful stuff, to be sure, but I was expecting Lincoln's life story--childhood, formative years, the young Lincoln as he got into first law and then politics. The film starts with him already re-elected, already having signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the Civil War is almost over, and the film is basically about how he wants to push through the 13th Amendment even though his supporters tell him not to try it. (The overwhelming belief was that even the Northerners only wanted the war to end, and would not support the Amendment.) Then again, if it were called "Freedom", it would probably make little money.

Daniel Day-Lewis is great, of course, as he always is. He's definitely winning an Oscar. He portrays Lincoln in his last months as weary, slow-moving, almost telegraphing his impending death... and yet, with his occasional anecdotal speeches, displays the persuasive and subversive charm Lincoln had. (And with a few well-timed outburts, displays his passion and power.)

whoman69 11-17-2012 07:10 PM

I am very much looking forward to seeing this film when it makes its way to our discount theater.

I think a Washington pic should be in the making.

Buehler445 11-17-2012 07:11 PM

It's not coming to my goddamned piece of shit theater. Mother**** the dumb****ers out here that will keep "Here comes the boom" in the theaters for a ****ing month but won't get the Lincoln film.

kcpasco 11-17-2012 07:21 PM

Ya I think I'll go see Lincoln tonight. I enjoy watching civil war movies and documentaries so hopefully Spielberg kept this as accurate as possible.

PunkinDrublic 11-17-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9126117)
It's not coming to my goddamned piece of shit theater. Mother**** the dumb****ers out here that will keep "Here comes the boom" in the theaters for a ****ing month but won't get the Lincoln film.

That sucks man. Kevin James movies are the most overpromoted pieces of shit. That stupid zoo movie he did had billboards up for months.

And **** all you people who say Lincoln is too slow moving. God forbid Hollywood comes out with a movie that doesn't involve comic book characters and explosions. Lincoln is a fantastic movie but a lot of you will put off seeing it because there's no transformers in it.

Aries Walker 11-17-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9126112)
I think a Washington pic should be in the making.

Oh, how I would love to see Spielberg get his hands on Washington's story.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9126253)
That sucks man. Kevin James movies are the most overpromoted pieces of shit. That stupid zoo movie he did had billboards up for months.

And **** all you people who say Lincoln is too slow moving. God forbid Hollywood comes out with a movie that doesn't involve comic book characters and explosions. Lincoln is a fantastic movie but a lot of you will put off seeing it because there's no transformers in it.

By my count, three people in this thread have seen it (you, myself and JD). Both JD and I said that it was slow, not that it's too slow. I think it's just undeniable that the pace of Lincoln is slow. Maybe that's why it's 2.5 hours long, but isn't really an epic. There's a lot of dialogue, negotiating, and speeches.

But yeah, I think Transformers as Union soldiers would have been cool to see.

stevieray 11-17-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8978374)
Without following the link, I"m gonna assume it was this one (which is tremendous...):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F_PfTl63qQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ya, it sure is...did i just see kelly leak from bad news bears??...:eek:

Fire Me Boy! 11-18-2012 06:52 AM

Interesting trivia: Lincoln was shot on location.

Too soon?

Totally ripped off of Facebook.

Buehler445 11-18-2012 07:53 AM

How was Tommy Lee Jones in this flick? I thought he had the perfect opportunity to ruin this.

keg in kc 11-18-2012 07:55 AM

I have not seen it yet, waiting for when my dad visits later in the week, but everything I've read indicates that Jones was good.

CoMoChief 11-18-2012 07:58 AM

A Washington flick would be ****in badass.

OnTheWarpath15 11-18-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9126117)

Mrs. OTW58 and I were going to see it last night, but decided not to.

We typically won't bother seeing a movie unless it's being shown in one of the 21+ theaters with assigned seating. We only go 3-4 times a year, and I'm spoiled by having an assigned seat, showing up 10 minutes early instead of an hour to get a good seat, no teenagers talking/texting through the film, having access to booze, etc.

Figured opening weekend we wouldn't have a problem.

Instead, all of the 21+ theaters were showing the ****ing Twilight movie.

:banghead: