ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

htismaqe 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9047762)
I guess I am a little different.

I use my laptop for work too (docking station at home and at the office), so it gets shut down regularly. And I replaced the battery a year or so ago, so it will sleep all evening while I'm at home. If I use it much, I have to plug it in, but you have to do that with an Ipad also.

My work PC has a piece of corporate crapware that prevents it from using S3 mode. I also can't leave it logged in overnight because if I do, it installs patches and shuts down, terminating everything running whether I want it to or not. Even if this wasn't the case, you can't consistently use sleep mode with Windows and expect it to behave properly over long periods of time.

I don't know what your business desktop environment is like but between the Windows domain stuff (trying to contact AD before a VPN tunnel exists) and the corporate bloatware, my work PC takes a good 3-4 minutes to boot to Windows desktop, so there's absolutely no comparison between it and the iPad for convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9047762)
Coincidentally, my buddy has an Ipad, and every time I hop on it to check the weather or whatever, it has like 3% battery left. ROFL

Now that's just sheer laziness. :D

Buehler445 10-25-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047851)
My work PC has a piece of corporate crapware that prevents it from using S3 mode. I also can't leave it logged in overnight because if I do, it installs patches and shuts down, terminating everything running whether I want it to or not. Even if this wasn't the case, you can't consistently use sleep mode with Windows and expect it to behave properly over long periods of time.

I don't know what your business desktop environment is like but between the Windows domain stuff (trying to contact AD before a VPN tunnel exists) and the corporate bloatware, my work PC takes a good 3-4 minutes to boot to Windows desktop, so there's absolutely no comparison between it and the iPad for convenience.

I don't have any of that crap to deal with anymore. Thank freaking god. The only thing I have is a windows profile for the exchange server. So I have a logon for the office and another one for my house unassociated with the Exchange.

Mr. Laz 10-25-2012 11:23 AM

Amazon debuts Kindle Windows 8 app

By Brian Heater http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...writer_rss.gif posted Oct 25th 2012 12:40PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...st_icon_pr.gif

With all the hubbub surrounding today's Microsoft event, who can blame Amazon for wanting to get in on the action? The mega-retailer used the opportunity to announce the Windows 8 version of its popular reading app. Interested parties can download the thing for free from the Windows Store, giving them access to the company's selection of 1.5 million titles. The app is available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese and offers up good old Amazon features like Whispersync. Amazon also used the opportunity to announce that Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Samsung will be pre-loading the app on their devices. More information can be found in the source link below.

WoodDraw 10-25-2012 01:50 PM

A few leaks today on the Nexus 10. Looks like Samsung is the manufacturer choice, which kind of sucks. But I'll wait and see.

Braincase 10-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047851)

I'd kick an admin's ass. No reason for that in a properly configured AD environment. Yeah, there's some laziness, and it's on your network admins and AD designers. I've trimmed that **** up on multiple networks, and that's just wrong.

htismaqe 10-26-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9050431)
I'd kick an admin's ass. No reason for that in a properly configured AD environment. Yeah, there's some laziness, and it's on your network admins and AD designers. I've trimmed that **** up on multiple networks, and that's just wrong.

Dude, our admins are in India and the Help Desk staff (in the Phillipines, no less) either 1) don't speak English or 2) can't spell "PC".

That's just one of the many, many issues with my work PC. A full 40% of the physical memory is permanently allocated to running corporate inventory, patching, and monitoring tools. In some cases, I've found that 2 or more applications actually perform the SAME FUNCTION. They install stuff via Marimba remote and if it works great. If it doesn't, or if they decide to stop using it, it never gets removed. Of course, I can't remove it either because we're not allowed admin rights.

I work for a Fortune 5 company. It's much, much more productive to just live with it.

Braincase 10-26-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9050934)
Dude, our admins are in India and the Help Desk staff (in the Phillipines, no less) either 1) don't speak English or 2) can't spell "PC".

That's just one of the many, many issues with my work PC. A full 40% of the physical memory is permanently allocated to running corporate inventory, patching, and monitoring tools. In some cases, I've found that 2 or more applications actually perform the SAME FUNCTION. They install stuff via Marimba remote and if it works great. If it doesn't, or if they decide to stop using it, it never gets removed. Of course, I can't remove it either because we're not allowed admin rights.

I work for a Fortune 5 company. It's much, much more productive to just live with it.

I'll light a candle for you at church. I think I just became happier I work for a company of 60 people.

I taught 8 this week, went smooth. Found some interesting tricks, but I'm getting used to it. I think it will be a solid tablet OS, and has potential as a desktop OS.

Right now, I'm figuring out if I can swing an ASUS TaiChi Ultrabook when they become available.

(And please keep in mind, I am biased, so take my comments with a grain of salt. My career is pretty much Microsoft dependent.)

htismaqe 10-26-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9051224)
I'll light a candle for you at church. I think I just became happier I work for a company of 60 people.

I taught 8 this week, went smooth. Found some interesting tricks, but I'm getting used to it. I think it will be a solid tablet OS, and has potential as a desktop OS.

Right now, I'm figuring out if I can swing an ASUS TaiChi Ultrabook when they become available.

(And please keep in mind, I am biased, so take my comments with a grain of salt. My career is pretty much Microsoft dependent.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining. For what I get paid, I'd put up with a lot of shit. Especially considering that I work from home.

Interesting that you think 8 has desktop potential. I really don't. As a tablet OS, yes. But after using Consumer Preview for a few months, I just don't get it. It's Windows 7 with an XBox (and somewhat useless) front end.

Deberg_1990 10-26-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9051320)
Interesting that you think 8 has desktop potential. I really don't. As a tablet OS, yes. But after using Consumer Preview for a few months, I just don't get it. It's Windows 7 with an XBox (and somewhat useless) front end.

This. I dont see many companies jumping from Win7 to 8. Maybe from Vista if they havent already migrated to 7.

kaplin42 10-26-2012 11:30 AM

Just unboxed my RT now, going through the setup process. First impressions on form.

It thin and sleek
Some design like the power remind me of Apple's design, but it's a good thing
The external keyboard connection is awesome.

Will post more after I use it some.

WoodDraw 10-26-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9051617)
Just unboxed my RT now, going through the setup process. First impressions on form.

It thin and sleek
Some design like the power remind me of Apple's design, but it's a good thing
The external keyboard connection is awesome.

Will post more after I use it some.

Oh let us know how it goes!

How comfortable is it to use off the desk? Can you just sit back in a chair with it, or does it feel a bit awkward?

What keyboard did you get? One of the touch or type covers?

kaplin42 10-26-2012 01:21 PM

So just trying to explore the device and get used to Win. 8, these are more first observations.

• The external keyboard is nice. It’s touch, but will take a little while to get used to, but I really like it. Way better than anything I have used for the iPad. With this in mind, the way it physically connects is via magnet like the power adapter, and unless you get it exactly right, no external keyboard for you.
• The Win.8 interface is different. Im not sure I like it, but then it’s always hard to get used to something new.
• Much like the iOS, instant on is pretty slick. Apps just pop up and away you go.
• Yes there is an app store, yes it has popular apps, no you won’t be left out in the cold. More apps will obviously be coming in the immediate and long term future.
• OMG, Office 2013 comes with. You mean I can use this as a production device and not just a consumption device right out of the gate. /mindblown
• Forced to use Bing, which I hate. But hopefully that will change soon.
• Can access your Homegroup if you’re already a Win. 7 user. Mega bonus right there.
• Has a full Computer Management section just like all other versions of Windows.

I will be using this as my home mobile device for a while just to see how it works compared to an iPad. So far, I’m skeptically impressed. I like the way they are going with it, I just hope MS doesn’t leave it in the dust like they do so many other things.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...1277968246.jpg

Braincase 10-26-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9051344)
This. I dont see many companies jumping from Win7 to 8. Maybe from Vista if they havent already migrated to 7.

I'm dual booting with it right now. Normally in 7 I'll use Virtual Box to run my virtual machines, but in 8 there's a Client Hyper-V that has some interesting potential. That, and I'm exploring some of the productivity apps.

KCFalcon59 10-26-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9051893)
• Forced to use Bing, which I hate. But hopefully that will change soon.[/IMG]

http://www.google.com/homepage/windows8/

DaveNull 10-27-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9051893)
• OMG, Office 2013 comes with. You mean I can use this as a production device and not just a consumption device right out of the gate. /mindblown
• Forced to use Bing, which I hate. But hopefully that will change soon.

I will be using this as my home mobile device for a while just to see how it works compared to an iPad. So far, I’m skeptically impressed. I like the way they are going with it, I just hope MS doesn’t leave it in the dust like they do so many other things.

Watching some videos of Win8 generally makes this look like it lives in some weird reality where Apple went out of business years ago. Questions:

How's it work for things like streaming media out to external speakers or video receivers at your house? What do you use? Is there something built in? I'm guessing that if it is, then it requires an Xbox.

Even though it's running on ARM, are you planning on running AV and Anti Malware software on there? That seems like a big problem with their Intel version of the Surface.

I played with an Asus RT tablet the other night at Microcenter and found working within Windows Explorer with my finger to be maddening. Do you find yourself punting to the smart cover when you need to make a new folder?

Does the start screen/metro portion of the OS make enough sense for touch that you think it was worth it for Msft to integrate it so deeply into the desktop OS?

I really want Windows 8 to be something cool and useful...something that could really replace XP running in a VM for those times I need it. Right now, I'm not seeing the love.

Oh...

- I'll never understand the "it has office it's for creation" comments in relation to the iPad since you can read and write in Doc format from Pages.
- I'm a big fan of using the Apple Wireless Keyboard with the iPad. It's the same keyboard they give out with iMacs and can't be beat. Check it out if you end up ditching the surface.
- You *really* would have thought that Microsoft would have avoided getting heat from the EU and DOJ by not jamming Bing down as a search provider.