ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Best Sci-Fi Movies of the last 5 Years (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268656)

Bowser 01-10-2013 07:48 PM

Just for fraz...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CvCeLzC2sNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:evil:

Bowser 01-10-2013 07:49 PM

And it's been forever, but wasn't Duncan Idaho a mega badass in the book? I don't remember him being exactly that in the movie.

keg in kc 01-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9304167)
And it's been forever, but wasn't Duncan Idaho a mega badass in the book? I don't remember him being exactly that in the movie.

Sort of. But he's really a minor character in Dune despite eventually being the central character for the entire series.

Frazod 01-10-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9304164)
Just for fraz...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CvCeLzC2sNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:evil:

Will.... not.... watch. :mad:

Bowser 01-10-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9304195)
Will.... not.... watch. :mad:

The first twenty seconds totally justifies your rage, and that is not an exaggeration. Heh.

Miles 01-11-2013 09:47 PM

m-o-o-n, that spells great movie

Miles 01-11-2013 09:54 PM

Everyone covered my favorites so I really nothing to add other than a list of those I considered the best.

Moon
Inception
Prometheus (Has its flaws but still dug it overall)
Distinct 9 (Though I'm not sure if it will stand up as well on a second viewing. I knew nothing before seeing it in the theater.)
Looper
Star Trek
Source Code
Pandorum

Braincase 01-11-2013 10:15 PM

I'm not going to put a top 10 or top 5 together, but here are movies I've enjoyed.

Jumper
Looper
Watchmen
Surrogates
Star Trek
The Road
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
In Time
Paul
Cloud Atlas
The Hunger Games

All told, I'm confident the best is yet to come, because with the good, there has been a shitload of absolute crap. Lockout? Please.

Baby Lee 01-12-2013 12:53 AM

Didn't check years, but

Serenity
The Host
Dark Horse - Primer

Baby Lee 01-12-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9301365)
How about last 30 years? We could include Dune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9301370)
:mad:

ROFL - like the sun coming up

Baby Lee 01-12-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9303258)
Guess I'm glad I never saw Dances with Wolves. Must make me one of the few who enjoyed Avatar.

Have to give another vote to Pandorum, but I liked Solaris which most people didn't. Have to heartily agree with Moon.

This thread is making me realize we need more sci-fi movies!

DWW is one of those movies I'd love to experience freshly again, like Pulp Fiction. It's preachy in parts, but very moving in others. If you do watch, just try to go in with no expectations, is it like this or that, what's its message, how forced it said message. Just watch it like a recounting of one man's experience after the Civil War when he felt like a man adrift and sought a meaningful life. In that respect, and ONLY that respect, I'd break my rule of expectations and say it shares a lot with The Heart of There Will Be Blood, when it focuses on the story of a man in America striking it out on his own and how difficult and dangerous that drive can be in reality.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-12-2013 01:05 AM

Speaking of book adaptations, I'm really excited/nervous for Ender's Game.

Baby Lee 01-12-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9303315)
I liked Dune. there is an uncut version out there now.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9303412)
:mad:

Read.... the..... book.....

My exact reaction.

Fraz's Dune is my 'Bonfire of the Vanities.' Perhaps the best book I read in JHS turned into an unrecognizable mess on the big screen. It has jaundiced my opinion of De Palma [yes THAT De Palma] to this day. It hardens my heart against Bruce Willis more than any other shitty movie or Kevin Smith diatribe I've come across to date.

It's like if you told all your friends that XXXyyy had the best pizza on earth, and finally cajoled them into trying some. Then, when you get there, their only pizza has seagull shit laying in piles on top of it, and you're like "well obviously I wasn't praising seagull shit pizza, but you've GOT to believe me . . . "

Baby Lee 01-12-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9307413)
Speaking of book adaptations, I'm really excited/nervous for Ender's Game.

Well hell, welcome back Mr. Marmaduke's shitbag hefter.

Miles 01-12-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9307416)
My exact reaction.

Fraz's Dune is my 'Bonfire of the Vanities.' Perhaps the best book I read in JHS turned into an unrecognizable mess on the big screen. It has jaundiced my opinion of De Palma [yes THAT De Palma] to this day. It hardens my heart against Bruce Willis more than any other shitty movie or Kevin Smith diatribe I've come across to date.

It's like if you told all your friends that XXXyyy had the best pizza on earth, and finally cajoled them into trying some. Then, when you get there, their only pizza has seagull shit laying in piles on top of it, and you're like "well obviously I wasn't praising seagull shit pizza, but you've GOT to believe me . . . "

I recall watching Bonfire of the Vanities back in the day on HBO and hoping that the pre-movie disclaimer of nudity actually meant something.