ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

MahiMike 03-24-2014 10:59 AM

The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

houstonwhodat 03-24-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10512841)
Only having enough money for an NBA franchise doesn't really mean you're not smart.

He should buy the Browns.

They should be on sale for about 19.95 by now.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10513176)
The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

Hardly.

Ratings keep going up.

Until that changes, the league will continue trying to expand its market.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 11:14 AM

I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

Demonpenz 03-24-2014 11:38 AM

The death rattle for NFL is going to come when sarah mclachlan on a commercial for brain damaged nfl players.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 11:45 AM

I'm not sure if the NFL even cares, but I think their problem is going to be in-person attendance. Attendance has been dropping across the league.

Maybe the Chiefs aren't the best example given their poor play most of the past several years, but when the new season ticket prices came out a couple months ago I checked some old seating charts I had and I couldn't believe the pricing.

Lower level sideline has gone up quite a bit. But for the past 5-10 years most other seats are about the same or have gone down considerably. There used to be highly discounted 'cheap seats' in the very upper-upper corners. Now, except for the lower half of the sidelines, almost the whole upper level are discount tickets. It's pretty obvious they are having trouble putting asses in the seats.

Phobia 03-24-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513215)
I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

To be clear, I like MNF. But since my overall interest in the NFL has waned, I simply record and watch to save myself time. Fantasy football no longer appeals to me so I don't play. It doesn't really have any impact on my life until players start commenting on their FFL points in postgame interviews. That makes me livid. It makes me want to watch Saturday football.

htismaqe 03-24-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513288)
To be clear, I like MNF. But since my overall interest in the NFL has waned, I simply record and watch to save myself time. Fantasy football no longer appeals to me so I don't play. It doesn't really have any impact on my life until players start commenting on their FFL points in postgame interviews. That makes me livid. It makes me want to watch Saturday football.

This.

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10513138)
Nevermind. You missed my point.

Which was....

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513288)

Now those players are wanting paid too. I figured there was already college fantasy football.

Mojo Jojo 03-24-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513287)
I'm not sure if the NFL even cares, but I think their problem is going to be in-person attendance. Attendance has been dropping across the league.

Maybe the Chiefs aren't the best example given their poor play most of the past several years, but when the new season ticket prices came out a couple months ago I checked some old seating charts I had and I couldn't believe the pricing.

Lower level sideline has gone up quite a bit. But for the past 5-10 years most other seats are about the same or have gone down considerably. There used to be highly discounted 'cheap seats' in the very upper-upper corners. Now, except for the lower half of the sidelines, almost the whole upper level are discount tickets. It's pretty obvious they are having trouble putting asses in the seats.

This is spot on. Teams are having trouble selling out games both regular and post season. Adding more games on TV will only drive down interest in attending and should the FCC ban overturn the blackout rule lookout. Owners will be forced to drop ticket prices a lot, and will need to find other revenue streams. The current business plan is self defeating.

GloryDayz 03-24-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10513082)
yup

Worked for the Titanic.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DLygeNR85X...00/titanic.jpg

http://www.bforbel.com/wp-content/up...rumpy-cat1.jpg

alnorth 03-24-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10513317)
This is spot on. Teams are having trouble selling out games both regular and post season. Adding more games on TV will only drive down interest in attending and should the FCC ban overturn the blackout rule lookout. Owners will be forced to drop ticket prices a lot, and will need to find other revenue streams. The current business plan is self defeating.

Not really.

This is a sport where teams sell only about a half million tickets per year, most sell out, and the worst paid attendance is still about 80%. Attendance matters a lot more in MLB, NBA, and Hockey. NFL, not so much.

Lets take a weird, wild, crazy, unlikely disaster scenario where every team suddenly goes to 50% attendance. Thats what, $10MM/year maybe? TV money DWARFS that. They still want to sell out because, why not its extra money, and also half-empty stadiums look bad, but they will be nowhere near hurting if they have to cut prices a bit as long as the TV ratings continue as they are, and they will.

mr. tegu 03-24-2014 12:20 PM

For every person that is "turned off" of the NFL because of fantasy football, 10 more are turned on to it because of it.

alnorth 03-24-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10513352)
For every person that is "turned off" of the NFL because of fantasy football, 10 more are turned on to it because of it.

Another question these NFL doomsayers need to answer is, what else are you going to do in the Fall and Winter on Sunday? (If you live in San Diego or Southern Florida, be quiet, you don't count). Go to church? OK fine, you get back from church at about noon, now what? And when I ask what else are you going to do, I don't mean YOU, but the millions of Joe Sixpacks who are fueling the NFL machine. At least baseball has to compete against Summer recreation, but the NFL happens while most of the country is a dark, frigid wasteland and most people want to stay in.