ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Colin Kaepernick gets over $100 million new deal (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284130)

Just Passin' By 06-04-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 10670388)
And you're trying to pretend that this year doesn't matter. He's locked up til 2021.

I'm not trying to pretend this year doesn't matter. I'm just not trying to bullshit myself into pretending it's a 7 year deal.

l4z4rd 06-04-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10670387)
He wins games and keeps his team competitive. ultimately that matters more than stats.

Outside of a Manning or Brady, who are they going to get who can perform better?
Posted via Mobile Device

Harbaugh kept the team competitive by limiting Kaepernick's passing attempts and relying on Gore and the Defense.

Jakemall 06-04-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10670391)
I'm not trying to pretend this year doesn't matter. I'm just not trying to bullshit myself into pretending it's a 7 year deal.

the contract lasts 7 seasons...I don't really see how you could interpret it any other way.

ChiefsCountry 06-04-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10670382)
I really, really like Alex Smith. But I wouldn't Flacco the team by giving all of the money to Smith.

I ****ing hate Alex Smith but if he won us a Super Bowl like Flacco did, **** it give him all the money he wants.

Rausch 06-04-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 10670395)
the contract lasts 7 seasons...I don't really see how you could interpret it any other way.

It doesn't matter.

Look at this aspect - lets pretend something happens and in 3 years he's not going to play anymore. For whatever reason.

12-15 mil guaranteed isn't an unrealistic number for that year. So with that money tied up you still have to find another QB. Can you really spend $25-$30 mil on the QB position and be successful?...

OldSchool 06-04-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

He wins games and keeps his team competitive. ultimately that matters more than stats.

Outside of a Manning or Brady, who are they going to get who can perform better?
Posted via Mobile Device

They could literally take half of the back-up QBs in the league, put them on that team, and they would still make the play-offs with Harbaugh coaching and the strength of their roster. The only thing that Kaepernick adds is the guarantee that you'll choke when it really matters and that you'll be wasting a roster spot if you keep more than 3 WRs on your team.

saphojunkie 06-04-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

I think he's saying it should be considered a 6 year deal since the seventh year (this year) was already under contract.

However, it would come down to whether the signing bonus can be amortized over all seven years he is under contract or only over the 6 year life of the extension.

Now... why the **** this is even worth discussing I couldn't begin to tell you. It's just arguing for arguments' sake. Shit is just semantics.

Jakemall 06-04-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10670401)
It doesn't matter.

Look at this aspect - lets pretend something happens and in 3 years he's not going to play anymore. For whatever reason.

12-15 mil guaranteed isn't an unrealistic number for that year. So with that money tied up you still have to find another QB. Can you really spend $25-$30 mil on the QB position and be successful?...

The guarantee is a lot...the only thing about that contract I'm not particularly happy with.

Coochie liquor 06-04-2014 03:15 PM

Even more reason to just franchise Smith for a year or 2 and draft his replacement. I can't wait to see what Luck gets when he gets a new contract!

Just Passin' By 06-04-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Try using your ****ing head. That's how.

The extension, which is what he reportedly signed, is a 6 year deal. To this point, no reports tell us that this last year was re-done as part of a 7 year deal. That means that the deal is 6 years for up to $120m upon completion of an already agreed upon final year of his earlier deal, not 7 years for up to $120m.

This is basic math.

OldSchool 06-04-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l4z4rd (Post 10670393)
Harbaugh kept the team competitive by limiting Kaepernick's passing attempts and relying on Gore and the Defense.

This. Even when Kaep was asked to throw the ball, Harbaugh kept it simple for Kaep because he isn't capable of operating anything that'll require him to read more than half of the field.

Jakemall 06-04-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10670405)
I think he's saying it should be considered a 6 year deal since the seventh year (this year) was already under contract.

However, it would come down to whether the signing bonus can be amortized over all seven years he is under contract or only over the 6 year life of the extension.

Now... why the **** this is even worth discussing I couldn't begin to tell you. It's just arguing for arguments' sake. Shit is just semantics.

My understanding is that the bonus can be split up over the 7 years because it is an extension. I'll defer if someone can come in with something concrete to the contrary.

GoChargers 06-04-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

So Tebow deserved $61 million guaranteed after 2011 then?

notorious 06-04-2014 03:19 PM

The downfall of SF started a while back.

Harbaugh is going to burn out the team and this contract is going to strap them if Kap doesn't produce.

Pepe Silvia 06-04-2014 03:20 PM

When he has to become a pocket passer he sucks balls, this was a terrible deal, sorry. As soon as Gore is done he's going to look foolish out there.