ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs the kicker that shall go unnamed breaks 22 year silence in new interview (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313870)

RollinWithMahomie 02-14-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 13414870)
I like the way you think. We need to forgive the kicker that shall go unnamedt to exorcise our demons.

Absolutely what do we have to lose?

Passepartout 02-14-2018 07:10 PM

Well at least he broke his silence. Time to move on. Forgive and forget.

Flying High D 02-14-2018 07:55 PM

Someone needs to tell him Oakland has an opening.

EPodolak 02-14-2018 08:27 PM

Could see in his eyes when he came on the field that day, he knew he would choke.

Flying High D 02-14-2018 10:31 PM

Bring him in to kick the tires.

kysirsoze 02-15-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13415126)
A study in contrasts. In 2009 the Chargers went 13-3, had the #1 seed, and lost by 3 at home to the Jets in the divisional round when Nate Kaeding missed 3 field goals in perfect weather. But I can't ever recall hearing a single chargers fan blame Kaeding for that loss. And that was after he'd already cost them a football game in the playoffs a few years earlier missing a last second chip shot vs the same Jets.

Fans blame the offense for not getting into the end zone, blame Cromartie for shying away from a tackle on the final drive, and blame the team in general, but Kaeding doesn't get near the hate as the one who shall not be named, despite having no bad weather excuses and it being his 2nd big playoff failure.

The hate is pretty silly. At this point I think it's more played for laughs than anything. Or just force of habit.

iDeaL 02-15-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollinWithMahomie (Post 13417085)
Absolutely what do we have to lose?

Yeah, I guess if Buffalo could forgive Norwood, we could do the same for Lin right? I think I was 6 years old at that time and I cried myself to sleep that night. My first real experience of Chiefs fandom. But I have watched the replay of that game a bunch of times. Looking back at the obviously flawed offense, does everyone really think we would not have choked the following week against Pitt or that we could actually beat Dallas in the SB? Nobody was beating Dallas that year. They made a statement when they doubled us up on Thanksgiving Day earlier that season.

Hammock Parties 02-15-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDeaL (Post 13418234)
Yeah, I guess if Buffalo could forgive Norwood, we could do the same for Lin right? I think I was 6 years old at that time and I cried myself to sleep that night. My first real experience of Chiefs fandom. But I have watched the replay of that game a bunch of times. Looking back at the obviously flawed offense, does everyone really think we would not have choked the following week against Pitt or that we could actually beat Dallas in the SB? Nobody was beating Dallas that year. They made a statement when they doubled us up on Thanksgiving Day earlier that season.

The '95 team was a paper tiger. They didn't have the skill position players on offense to go the distance.

I used to hate Lin Elliot, but I've softened, because the Colts kicker missed twice that day, too. Kicking conditions were awful. And that team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Biggest chokers in Chiefs playoff history:

1. Alex Smith, for blowing TWO home games he had obvious chances to win and being total garbage against the Pats in 2015.

2. Elvis Grbac.

T-3. Assorted individuals: Kendrick Lewis, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Robinson

RunKC 02-15-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13418261)
The '95 team was a paper tiger. They didn't have the skill position players on offense to go the distance.

I used to hate the kicker that shall go unnamed, but I've softened, because the Colts kicker missed twice that day, too. Kicking conditions were awful. And that team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Biggest chokers in Chiefs playoff history:

1. Alex Smith, for blowing TWO home games he had obvious chances to win and being total garbage against the Pats in 2015.

2. Elvis Grbac.

T-3. Assorted individuals: Kendrick Lewis, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Robinson

Elvis Grbac was an anthill compared to Marty. We should have never benched Gannon and the 2 minute offense at the end of the Broncos 97 loss was horrific. No time management at all.

That’s on Marty

Hammock Parties 02-15-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13418278)
Elvis Grbac was an anthill compared to Marty. We should have never benched Gannon and the 2 minute offense at the end of the Broncos 97 loss was horrific. No time management at all.

That’s on Marty

Marty didn't check that shit down in bounds.

Twice.

RunKC 02-15-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13418281)
Marty didn't check that shit down in bounds.

Twice.

Yeah it’s all the QB. You’re about to find out real quick that that thinking is a fallacy.

Mephistopheles Janx 02-15-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollinWithMahomie (Post 13414722)
Or I don't know Steve Bono could have not thrown 3 ints and they could have scored a td but I know that's too much to ask against the 9-7 Colts.

Irrelevant.

In a 10-7 game... the kicker who missed 3 kicks saying that the offense or DT could have done more is tantamount to him saying... "they should have scored so I wouldn't have been put in that position".

Despite those 3 interceptions, the defense held a pro football team to 10 points. Despite those 3 interceptions, Bono and co did enough to put the ball well within FG range for 3 attempts.

Don't misunderstand... I agree that the offense SHOULD have done more but that just wasn't the case and that is just how some football games go. It was up to Elliott to win us the game and HE choked. He is the last person who should be shifting blame.

Perhaps just a me thing but I wish, if he was gonna do an interview on the subject, that he would have just come out and owned it, apologized to the fans (for whatever that is worth), and left it at that. No calling out the offense or throwing dead Chiefs icons under the bus in any way.

SuperBowl4 02-15-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 13417478)
Could see in his eyes when he came on the field that day, he knew he would choke.

Maybe he missed those kicks on purpose.

Rain Man 02-15-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDeaL (Post 13418234)

I agree with others that it's time to forgive Mr. Elliott. For some reason, time is healing that wound for me.

And it also puts things in context when we realize that the Chiefs are cursed. If Elliott had made all three kicks, the Colts would have returned all three ensuing kickoffs for touchdowns. That's how it works.

RollinWithMahomie 02-16-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13419382)
I agree with others that it's time to forgive Mr. Elliott. For some reason, time is healing that wound for me.

And it also puts things in context when we realize that the Chiefs are cursed. If Elliott had made all three kicks, the Colts would have returned all three ensuing kickoffs for touchdowns. That's how it works.

I agree with this completely forgive but never forget. Move on and focus on Mahomes breaking the curse. It's cool to hear from Lin and I'd have a beer with him at a game!