ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

KcMizzou 06-29-2008 06:12 PM

Kevin Smith's take on The Dark Knight. (Couldn't really find a better thread to put this in...)

Quote:

Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that's not an overstatement). It's the "Godfather II" of comic book films and three times more earnest than "Batman Begins" (and ****, was that an earnest film). Easily the most adult comic book film ever made. Heath Ledger didn't so much give a performance as he disappeared completely into the role; I know I'm not the first to suggest this, but he'll likely get at least an Oscar nod (if not the win) for Best Supporting Actor. ****ing flick's nearly three hours long and only leaves you wanting more (in a great way). I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by it. Nolan and crew have created something close to a masterpiece.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/06/...e-dark-knight/

Buehler445 06-29-2008 06:54 PM

I can't wait until Dark Knight comes out. Wow.

I did catch Reign Over Me this weekend on Starz Black (?I don't know, just saw it there) and it is worth seeing. Definitely rent it though. It's sorta like Crash in that once the ride is over, you don't need to do it again. Enjoyed it though. I think they could have got someone other than Sandler to do it. Sandler did a nice job, but I have a hard time taking him seriously.

irishjayhawk 06-29-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4819175)
Kevin Smith's take on The Dark Knight. (Couldn't really find a better thread to put this in...)

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/06/...e-dark-knight/

Hmmm, so that guy's comparison to Godfather II wasn't laughable.

KcMizzou 06-29-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4819342)
Hmmm, so that guy's comparison to Godfather II wasn't laughable.

If you happen to respect Kevin Smith's opinion, anyway. (And I do.)

Nightwish 06-29-2008 11:37 PM

I just hope The Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins. For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many people gush over that film. In my opinion, the only Batman that was worse that BB was the one with Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey. Christian Bale turns in easily the least interesting performance of any of them.

KcMizzou 06-29-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish (Post 4819513)
I just hope The Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins. For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many people gush over that film. In my opinion, the only Batman that was worse that BB was the one with Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey. Christian Bale turns in easily the least interesting performance of any of them.

I really liked it. Thought it was the best Batman movie so far.

I'm a big Bale fan too... He's a hell of an actor.

That said, I can see where you're coming from. The stoic brooding and the pursed lips did wear a little thin.

The writing and the darker tone helped a LOT, IMO.

Honestly... I think Bale is a good Batman (passable, at the least)... and Ledger will knock it out of the park.

patteeu 06-30-2008 02:21 PM

I liked Batman Begins better than any other Batman movie and I thought Val Kilmer was the best Batman (even if the movie he was in wasn't very good). I thought Bale was good too.

QuikSsurfer 06-30-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 4820330)
I liked Batman Begins better than any other Batman movie and I thought Val Kilmer was the best Batman (even if the movie he was in wasn't very good). I thought Bale was good too.

BLASPHEMY!!!

I do love Val Kilmer though.

Simply Red 07-01-2008 10:21 PM

how non entertaining.

Miles 07-02-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4795517)
If you get a chance to see "In Bruges", do...

Just saw it tonight. Great movie. Collin Farrel (sp?) was surprisingly good.

From the trailers, I thought it was more of a comedy...

There is a lot of humor in it... but it's more of a drama/dark comedy.

Just finished watching this one and really liked it as well. Great movie.

DeepPurple 07-03-2008 04:49 PM

I've never seen any of the previous Batman movies or Superman movies, in fact I usually steer clear of any comic book superhero type movies. In the past, whenever I attempted to watch one of these films I could never make it all the way through.

When "Batman Begins" came out on DVD I rented it because I liked Bale. As it turns out, I ended up buying the rental from Blockbuster which I've never done with any other movie. "Batman Begins" was exactly the opposite of all the reasons of why I couldn't stand any of the other comic book movies.

As a sidenote, one of my business clients from about 1995 until I retired in 2004 was Paul Pelletier. He had told me one time he was a comic book artist but we never talked about it very much, mostly just music, he was a hard rock fan like myself. The other day I did a search about Paul to see what he was up to and found out he's one of the main artist at Marvel Comics.

Ceej 07-03-2008 10:11 PM

I just got done watching Vantage Point. Pretty solid flick. I thought they rushed the ending.

Oh, and Quaid's apparently Robocop.

the Talking Can 07-04-2008 09:37 PM

watching harold and kumar at juantanamo (thanks internet).....pretty good

irishjayhawk 07-05-2008 10:33 PM

Vantage Point sucked. Too predictable. Quaid is a hell of a stunt driver though. And too short.

Ceej 07-05-2008 11:35 PM

I don't think Vantage Point necessarily sucked. It just seemed jumbled together, then hurried at the ending.

It was better than I thought it was going to be.

irishjayhawk 07-06-2008 09:41 PM

I saw Lars and the Real Girl tonight. I was impressed. Very touching and pretty powerful. Highly recommended.

KcMizzou 07-06-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4831525)
I saw Lars and the Real Girl tonight. I was impressed. Very touching and pretty powerful. Highly recommended.

I've heard really good things about that one.

Odd concept... I'll have to check it out.

cdcox 07-07-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4831537)
I've heard really good things about that one.

Odd concept... I'll have to check it out.

My family really enjoyed that one.

wendy666 07-07-2008 07:00 PM

we are watching 24 hours, reallly great

KevB 07-07-2008 11:16 PM

Just watched Requiem for a Dream - edited version. Intense movie, interesting visually, but really disturbing. I understand the unedited is even worse (yes, I've heard about the Jennifer Connolly scene). I've read quite a few people commenting about this movie the last couple of years, so I wanted to see it to form my own opinion. Problem is, I'm going to have to chew on it for a day or two to really come to terms with how good or bad it is.

KcMizzou 07-08-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 4831946)
My family really enjoyed that one.

Just finished it. (Lars and the Real Girl)

I liked it. I thought it did a good job of illustrating the basic kindness in people, that often seems to be overlooked. When it comes down to it, most people are good at heart.

I was a little cynical at first, but the film won me over.

Quote:

We came over to sit. That's what people do when tragedy strikes. They come over, and sit.
That line kinda struck a chord with me. That kinda support means the world.

KcMizzou 07-08-2008 08:31 PM

Also, Ryan Gosling's a hell of an actor.

Buehler445 07-08-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4833803)
Just watched Requiem for a Dream - edited version. Intense movie, interesting visually, but really disturbing. I understand the unedited is even worse (yes, I've heard about the Jennifer Connolly scene). I've read quite a few people commenting about this movie the last couple of years, so I wanted to see it to form my own opinion. Problem is, I'm going to have to chew on it for a day or two to really come to terms with how good or bad it is.

Watch the unedited one.

****ED UP movie. But I liked it.

irishjayhawk 07-08-2008 10:08 PM

Just finished Be Kind Rewind.

The trailer billed it something that it's not, but I liked it. It made me feel good.

KcMizzou 07-08-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4836319)
Just finished Be Kind Rewind.

The trailer billed it something that it's not, but I liked it. It made me feel good.

I was mildly disappointed. It was... alright.

Mos Def was good.

irishjayhawk 07-08-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4836366)
I was mildly disappointed. It was... alright.

Mos Def was good.

I actually would say that's how I feel. Overall, I liked it but it left some to be desired.

QuikSsurfer 07-10-2008 11:12 PM

Just watched the new Batman Gotham Knight movie..
I'm really glad I purchased this. Definitely one for any animated Batman fan.

Put me in the mood for some of Todd McFarlane's Spawn :)

keg in kc 07-10-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 4840641)
Put me in the mood for some of Todd McFarlane's Spawn

Was just dusting my little dvd shelf and noticed I had those. Man, been years since I watched any Spawn. Might have to toss it in once I'm done watching the first Hellboy.

Frazod 07-10-2008 11:43 PM

I picked up Batman Begins on blu-ray last night. It features the first few minutes of Dark Knight, which was really cool. God I'm stoked for that movie.

KcMizzou 07-10-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4840679)
I picked up Batman Begins on blu-ray last night. It features the first few minutes of Dark Knight, which was really cool. God I'm stoked for that movie.

Yeah, at this point.. I just hope it lives up to the hype. Every review just friggin' gushes over it.

Some people are bound to be disappointed... no matter how good it really is.

QuikSsurfer 07-10-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4840666)
Was just dusting my little dvd shelf and noticed I had those. Man, been years since I watched any Spawn. Might have to toss it in once I'm done watching the first Hellboy.

You should.
I picked the dvd up at Walgreens for $5.99 about 5 years ago.
I remember being amazed when I caught a few episodes on HBO, back in the day.

keg in kc 07-10-2008 11:54 PM

I'm not sure when I'll see The Dark Knight, the midnight IMAX next thursday here is already sold out. Guess I'll see it as early as I can Friday (but, ah, not the 3:30 am showing).

Ceej 07-11-2008 05:37 AM

I went to Buyback Entertainment just yesterday.

I purchashed:

Reservoir Dogs - which I've not seen
Requiem for a Dream - I've not seen
28 Days Later - I've seen this
Strange Wilderness - I've seen
Se7en - I've seen long ago
Emery's newer CD

....all for about 40 bucks. Not bad, not bad. I've yet to watch the top two on that list.

Pablo 07-11-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 4840756)

I purchashed:

Emery's newer CD

....all for about 40 bucks. Not bad, not bad. I've yet to watch the top two on that list.

Nice acquisitions. Strange Wilderness has some lol moments, but it was only like 70 minutes long. And not much of a "plot" if you will.

RFAD won't let you down. Heartbreaking and beautiful, just a great movie.

Reservoir Dogs...eh, it's got some great dialogue, but it's not among my favorites. A good movie.

Se7en, haven't seen all of it. Just bits and parts, but it looks pretty badass.

And I loved 28 Days Later, especially the soundtrack, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Grandaddy...you can't go wrong.

OnTheWarpath15 07-11-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 4840756)

I purchashed:

Emery's newer CD

Make sure you tough out the first 20-30 minutes of Requiem. I ALMOST tuned it off, but decided to give it more time, and now it's one of my favorite films.

KcMizzou 07-11-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 4841369)
Se7en, haven't seen all of it. Just bits and parts, but it looks pretty badass.

Se7en kicks ass. If it hasn't already been spoiled for you... keep it that way. Don't read any reviews or anything, just in case.

Frazod 07-11-2008 07:57 PM

Seven is one of the best movies ever made. The ending.... wow. If you haven't seen it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Ceej 07-11-2008 09:15 PM

I'll be sure to do that.

As for the Strange Wilderness purchase - to me, the first time I saw that I was less than pleased. But, the more I think I about it I kind of enjoy it, awkwardly enough.

28 Days Later is a great movie to me. Cillian Murphy is a very under-rated actor in my eyes.

I'll be sure to post what I thought about the other two.

KevB 07-11-2008 10:58 PM

Just watched Before the Devil Knows Your Dead. That may be the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Good performances, Marissa Tomei naked throughout (and she is stunning), well executed....but I just didn't get much out of it in the end. Man, I've watched this and Requiem for a Dream back to back. I need a comedy, stat. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is just a great actor, he's utterly believable in every movie I've ever seen him.

irishjayhawk 07-12-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4842740)
Just watched Before the Devil Knows Your Dead. That may be the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Good performances, Marissa Tomei naked throughout (and she is stunning), well executed....but I just didn't get much out of it in the end. Man, I've watched this and Requiem for a Dream back to back. I need a comedy, stat. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is just a great actor, he's utterly believable in every movie I've ever seen him.

GREAT film but yes, depressing.

blaise 07-12-2008 12:35 PM

If you want a kind of goofy comedy that most people didn't see. Let It Ride with Richard Dreyfuss is (I thought, many others disagree) a funny little movie.

Baby Lee 07-12-2008 12:41 PM

Watched 'Waitress' off Cinemax. Nice offbeat indy story, occasionally drifts into 'too twee' but has a few moments of transcendent giddiness. Keri Russell is great.

Overall, I'd say it was a worthwhile experience, memorable and smile-inducing even, though it still has this 'adopted from off-broadway' lack of completeness to it.

I will say, try to avoid too much info about this before viewing [and it's not about a plot twist], if you must know what I'm referring to, it's spoilerized in white below

The writer of the screenplay, who plays a loveable and central character in the film, was murdered mid-post-production, by an illegal immigrant construction worker when she caught him stealing her purse. After killing her, he hung her up to make it look like a suicide, which is what her family thought until the investigation progressed.

noa 07-12-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4843292)
Watched 'Waitress' off Cinemax. Nice offbeat indy story, occasionally drifts into 'too twee' but has a few moments of transcendent giddiness. Keri Russell is great.

Overall, I'd say it was a worthwhile experience, memorable and smile-inducing even, though it still has this 'adopted from off-broadway' lack of completeness to it.

I will say, try to avoid too much info about this before viewing [and it's not about a plot twist], if you must know what I'm referring to, it's spoilerized in white below.

It was definitely a good movie, plus Mal and Billy Chenowith are in it, guys from two of my favorite TV shows.
I don't think you have to hide that info BTW. At first, I was skeptical if the movie was received differently (in terms of reviews) because of what you wrote in white, but after watching it, I think it is good enough on its own merits to put that question to rest.

Baby Lee 07-12-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 4843320)
It was definitely a good movie, plus Mal and Billy Chenowith are in it, guys from two of my favorite TV shows.
I don't think you have to hide that info BTW. At first, I was skeptical if the movie was received differently (in terms of reviews) because of what you wrote in white, but after watching it, I think it is good enough on its own merits to put that question to rest.

I'd heard and forgotten, and it was nice to watch the movie without the spectre of it over the experience.

the Talking Can 07-12-2008 11:44 PM

lars and the real girl

nice movie, didn't try to be too heavy....gosling is an excellent actor

KcMizzou 07-12-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4844119)
lars and the real girl

nice movie, didn't try to be too heavy....gosling is an excellent actor

I really enjoyed that too. Kinda.. uplifting.

And yeah, Gosling was great.

DeepPurple 07-14-2008 02:52 PM

Saturday night on HDNet I saw "Meet Joe Black". It's been on different channels a few times but I always missed it. Since it was unedited and commercial free this time I watched it and was glad I did, gave it 9 Stars. It reminded me of a cross between one of my all time favorites "Heaven Can Wait" and "It's a Wonderful Life". Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt had good chemistry but the female lead Claire Forlani really made it work.

Then Sunday on cable I caught "Eastern Promises" and "Crank", I was a little disappointed with the first one. It was totally character driven because the story was very weak, I was surprised it had so many good reviews. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts made it worth watching. The second film, "Crank" was pretty much what I expected, a cross between "Shoot em Up" and "Running Scared". I gave them both 6 Stars.

irishjayhawk 07-14-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 4846546)
Saturday night on HDNet I saw "Meet Joe Black". It's been on different channels a few times but I always missed it. Since it was unedited and commercial free this time I watched it and was glad I did, gave it 9 Stars. It reminded me of a cross between one of my all time favorites "Heaven Can Wait" and "It's a Wonderful Life". Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt had good chemistry but the female lead Claire Forlani really made it work.

Then Sunday on cable I caught "Eastern Promises" and "Crank", I was a little disappointed with the first one. It was totally character driven because the story was very weak, I was surprised it had so many good reviews. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts made it worth watching. The second film, "Crank" was pretty much what I expected, a cross between "Shoot em Up" and "Running Scared". I gave them both 6 Stars.

I've wanted to see Meet Joe Black. I need to go see it.

Sure-Oz 07-14-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 4846546)

I was pretty suprised that Crank was nonstop action, and crazy shit, like ****ing his gf on the street in front of japanese peopleLMAO

Lzen 07-15-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4842357)
Seven is one of the best movies ever made. The ending.... wow. If you haven't seen it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Agreed.

KcMizzou 07-15-2008 08:54 PM

I saw Redbelt tonight. It's a David Mamet film.

It's based in the world of MMA, but it isn't so much about the fighting. It's about an honorable man who's surrounded by vicious money hungry scumbags. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays the lead, and he's amazing.

I highly recommend this movie. Let's just say it's no "Never Back Down". (The MMA version of The Fast and The Furious)

Four out of five stars.

Quote:

Synopsis: Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor follows his turn in AMERICAN GANGSTER by taking the lead role in this thoughtful fight movie from writer/director David Mamet. Ejiofor plays Mike Terry, a man who runs his own Jiu-jitsu studio in Los Angeles. Terry's business is failing, causing tension between him and his wife, Sondra (Alice Braga). But their lives change drastically when Terry is compelled to come to the aid of an actor, Chet Frank (Tim Allen), during a bar fight. Frank befriends Terry and invites him to come and work as a consultant on a movie he is shooting. Just as Terry's fortunes seem to be changing, he finds himself caught up in a deceitful plan that has been carefully hatched by Frank's devious agent (who is played by Mamet regular Joe Mantegna). With his debts piling up, Terry decides to go against all his instincts and enter the competitive fighting world, where he stands to win a huge cash prize. But the good-natured fighter is in for a shock when he gets a close-up glimpse of the corruption that runs rife throughout the sport. REDBELT is full of the usual plot twists and fine performances that mark any Mamet movie. It's fascinating to watch the director draw on his longstanding passion for Jiu-jitsu to fill out the storyline, and Ejiofor does a convincing job as a man who draws on the discipline of the sport to stay calm during some testing times. As with many Mamet films, a series of cons are liberally sprinkled throughout the script, calling on viewers to remain alert as each strand of the storyline slowly unravels. The bulk of the movie is conversational, shying away from the action sequences that mark most fight movies, and making REDBELT an unusual and invaluable addition to the genre.

Deberg_1990 07-15-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4849145)

It's based in the world of MMA, but it isn't so much about the fighting. It's about an honorable man who's surrounded by vicious money hungry scumbags. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays the lead, and he's amazing.

I highly recommend this movie. Let's just say it's no "Never Back Down". (The MMA version of The Fast and The Furious)

Four out of five stars.

Yea, i heard about that. Unusual subject for a Mamet film??

It played in theaters about 5 minutes.

Lzen 07-15-2008 08:58 PM

WTF is up with all the ads and rave reviews for Mama Mia? Do you have to be gay or a woman to watch this? I don't even get what it's supposed to be about, other than it's some kind of wacky musical.

Another one that I keep seeing commercials for is Swing Vote. The concept of that one looks completely ridiculous.

irishjayhawk 07-15-2008 08:59 PM

Anyone seen "Go"?

KcMizzou 07-15-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4849153)
Yea, i heard about that. Unusual subject for a Mamet film??

It played in theaters about 5 minutes.

Apparently he's a big Jiu-jitsu guy. He was on Inside MMA talking about it. Otherwise, I'd probably never have heard about it. It's very good. Check into it if you get a chance.

Deberg_1990 07-15-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4849157)
Anyone seen "Go"?

Yes. I like it alot.

Liman used to a good filmaker before he started making trash like Mr and Mrs Smith and Jumper.

irishjayhawk 07-15-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4849162)
Yes. I like it alot.

Liman used to a good filmaker before he started making trash like Mr and Mrs Smith and Jumper.

Hmm, gonna have to rent. I like John August's blog. And I've liked most of his movies, like The Nines.

Hammock Parties 07-15-2008 09:52 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Smith was good.

Jumper, not so much.

Ceej 07-16-2008 01:38 AM

I just got done watching Requiem for a Dream. I liked it. I didn't think it was great or anything.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority, but Step Brothers looks hilarious. I know it's probably the same old re-hashed shit, but it's FKN funny to me.

"Hello Miss Lady." -- NSFW.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lSrSAJS2rY0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lSrSAJS2rY0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

irishjayhawk 07-16-2008 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 4849362)
Mr. and Mrs. Smith was good.

Jumper, not so much.

Mr and Mrs Smith was rubbish. No doubt that Jolie and Pitt had chemistry, but the plot and execution were pretty horrible.

blaise 07-16-2008 07:35 AM

Yeah, I hated Mr. & Mrs Smith. I never cared what happened to the characters. I stopped watching about 3/4 of the way through.

KcMizzou 07-16-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4829027)

Saw it tonight.

It was a lot better than I expected. Some of the really crude humor fell flat, but over all, I liked it. NPH was great, again.

It's dumb as hell (of course), but it's a lot of fun.

noa 07-17-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4849145)

I really wanted to see that but I kept putting it off until it was out of the theaters.
I generally like David Mamet movies, even the ones other people crap on.

Midnight_Vulture 07-17-2008 05:13 PM

Lost Highway
Go rent that film NOW

You're welcome

pikesome 07-17-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4850094)
Mr and Mrs Smith was rubbish. No doubt that Jolie and Pitt had chemistry, but the plot and execution were pretty horrible.

If you want to be charitable. I liked it even less than that.

irishjayhawk 07-17-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikesome (Post 4853402)
If you want to be charitable. I liked it even less than that.

Yeah, I did put it a little too charitable. Really the only thing it had was Pitt Jolie chemistry.

blaise 07-18-2008 06:20 AM

I watched King of Kong, A Fistful of Quarters last night. I thought it was awesome.

noa 07-18-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4829027)

F*** YOU DONUTS ARE AWESOME!

KevB 07-18-2008 09:56 AM

I've watched The Bank Job and In Bruges the last couple of nights. Both were entertaining. I probably liked In Bruges a touch more because of the dark humor aspect. I liked the ending as well, although it was predictable.

irishjayhawk 07-18-2008 10:35 AM

Obligatory You must see Dark Knight post.

Fairplay 07-19-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight_Vulture (Post 4853398)
Lost Highway
Go rent that film NOW

No wonder they call you Midnite_Douchebag that movie was awful.

We walked out of the movie it was so bad. You have shi**y taste.

Rotten tomatoes gave it a poor 54%

Baby Lee 07-24-2008 09:19 AM

http://www.pajiba.com/once.htm

Great article on one of my initial thoughts while watching Once, except I'm not quite on board with the 'watery stew' assessment. And yes, I noticed the thank you in the credits.

patteeu 07-24-2008 11:03 AM

I just checked out the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) and was surprised to find that they have The Dark Knight listed as the top movie of all time on it's Top 250 list. It's based on user ratings, so the passion of the moment is probably inflating it's overall rating for the moment, but I did think it was pretty impressive. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to see it soon.

Lzen 07-24-2008 11:32 AM

Watched a couple movies last night.

Employee of the Month - I like Dane Cook. Watched his standup routine on Comedy Central last week and it was hilarious. This movie, however, was just not that great. I suppose it was ok for what it was if you had few expectations going int. Sure, it had a few funny parts but not much. I'm glad it was something I DVR'd and not wasted a Netflix on it.

Alpha Dog - WTH do people like this movie so much? It was 4/5 a bunch of rich California kids partying, doing drugs, selling drugs, screwing, etc. And their parents weren't much better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude. I just didn't find much appeal. The last few parts of the movie was good, I guess, even though it took forever to get to that. It was just plain messed up that they went through with it and nobody stopped it. :shake: I will say that I think Timberlake did a great job acting his part.

Nightwish 07-25-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 4865566)
I just checked out the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) and was surprised to find that they have The Dark Knight listed as the top movie of all time on it's Top 250 list. It's based on user ratings, so the passion of the moment is probably inflating it's overall rating for the moment, but I did think it was pretty impressive. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to see it soon.

I saw it tonight. It's definitely the best of the bunch, and far superior to Batman Begins, in my opinion. Yes, Christian Bale is still a wretched bore as Batman, and his Batman voice sounds more like an old guy with emphysema than a brooding superhero, but Heath Ledger more than makes up for what Bale lacks. If Heath isn't nominated for an Oscar for his performance in this film, it'll be a gross injustice. He really made the movie.

irishjayhawk 07-25-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish (Post 4868165)
I saw it tonight. It's definitely the best of the bunch, and far superior to Batman Begins, in my opinion. Yes, Christian Bale is still a wretched bore as Batman, and his Batman voice sounds more like an old guy with emphysema than a brooding superhero, but Heath Ledger more than makes up for what Bale lacks. If Heath isn't nominated for an Oscar for his performance in this film, it'll be a gross injustice. He really made the movie.

Out of curiosity, because I've seen many people say this, what do you want his voice to sound like?

And I contend he's a bore to some people because there wasn't enough Bruce Wayne.

On topic though, I watched 21 last night. Holy hell that movie caught me off guard. I was not expecting a really really really really shitty version of Oceans 11. It wasn't even entertaining. Spacey was the only one who cared it seemed.

Baby Lee 07-25-2008 04:25 PM

HD and a big screen aren't always for the best.
I am now apprised that Groucho's trademark mustache and eyebrows are pure greasepaint, having seen Duck Soup in HD.

QuikSsurfer 07-26-2008 01:03 PM

Just watched http://www.greyfade.com/blog/wp-cont...ny-games_1.jpg

Wow... I think I enjoyed it. I like Michael Pitt and this was right up his alley, in terms of character roles.
Anyone else seen this?
It's pretty brutal and twisted.

And Naomi Watts is too fine.

Nightwish 07-27-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4868604)
Out of curiosity, because I've seen many people say this, what do you want his voice to sound like?

I'm not really sure, just not like that. I understand what he's trying to do, to disguise his voice to keep those who know him from recognizing the voice of Bruce Wayne, as well as providing a little extra menace to the Batman persona. That's all well and good, and perfectly fitting, if it's pulled off well. Bale doesn't pull it off well at all. Instead of sounding subtlely menacing, he sounds like he's smoking himself into an early grave. A subtle twisting of the voice would do better than sounding like an all-out fake. Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer both did that fairly well, whereas George Clooney and Christian Bale did not.

Quote:

And I contend he's a bore to some people because there wasn't enough Bruce Wayne.
That's a good point. But it doesn't invalidate the criticism. For the most part, the Bruce Wayne parts are about the only chance for the actor to really step into the role and show us what he's got. In the Batman getup, all he's really got is his voice to sell himself in the role, the costume does most of the work. In the fight scenes, it's usually not the actor in the costume, but a stunt guy, so if the fight scenes are good or bad, it's neither a credit nor a demerit to the actor playing Bruce Wayne. While I said that Keaton and Kilmer were the best with the Batman voice, I think Keaton and Clooney were the best in the Bruce Wayne role, while Kilmer and Bale were much less interesting as Bruce Wayne.

irishjayhawk 07-27-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwish (Post 4871752)
I'm not really sure, just not like that. I understand what he's trying to do, to disguise his voice to keep those who know him from recognizing the voice of Bruce Wayne, as well as providing a little extra menace to the Batman persona. That's all well and good, and perfectly fitting, if it's pulled off well. Bale doesn't pull it off well at all. Instead of sounding subtlely menacing, he sounds like he's smoking himself into an early grave. A subtle twisting of the voice would do better than sounding like an all-out fake. Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer both did that fairly well, whereas George Clooney and Christian Bale did not.

That's a good point. But it doesn't invalidate the criticism. For the most part, the Bruce Wayne parts are about the only chance for the actor to really step into the role and show us what he's got. In the Batman getup, all he's really got is his voice to sell himself in the role, the costume does most of the work. In the fight scenes, it's usually not the actor in the costume, but a stunt guy, so if the fight scenes are good or bad, it's neither a credit nor a demerit to the actor playing Bruce Wayne. While I said that Keaton and Kilmer were the best with the Batman voice, I think Keaton and Clooney were the best in the Bruce Wayne role, while Kilmer and Bale were much less interesting as Bruce Wayne.

Overall, I'd agree with you except for the Bolded part. I don't see Keaton as much of a Bruce Wayne. I'd swap him and Bale. But to each their own.