ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Why do I keep buying ribeyes when ... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276759)

R8RFAN 06-18-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10701384)
Easier to just use a grill pan.

May as well cook it on the stove and save the hassle

Anyong Bluth 06-18-2014 06:50 PM

Anyone else a fan on Wagyu? I personally think that an 8 quality 5 grade is perfect for me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/ry2ehutu.jpg

Silock 06-18-2014 06:50 PM

No hassle when you use gas that's hooked up to your natural gas lines.

R8RFAN 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10701409)
No hassle when you use gas that's hooked up to your natural gas lines.

I don't cook steak on gas man

R8RFAN 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10701408)
Anyone else a fan on Wagyu? I personally think that an 8 quality 5 grade is perfect for me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/ry2ehutu.jpg

1 of those cost as much as a car ROFL

Silock 06-18-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10701410)
I don't cook steak on gas man

Too bad.

Fire Me Boy! 06-18-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10701415)
Too bad.

The flavor from charcoal tastes way better than on gas.

Silock 06-18-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10701482)
The flavor from charcoal tastes way better than on gas.

http://welcometothecookout.com/grilling-myths-charcoal/

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10701507)

I know almost all of that, and I just skimmed. But I noticed one line that said it depends on the type of charcoal - briquettes vs. lump. The author never delved into that more. Any charcoal aficionado will say lump is the only way to go.

And from experience - I've owned and used both gas and charcoal - the flavor is different. I couldn't tell you why, but it is the truth.

I also question the validity of some random blogger vs. Bon Appetit. Anyone willing to do the research can find someone to support their view.

GloryDayz 06-19-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10701868)
I know almost all of that, and I just skimmed. But I noticed one line that said it depends on the type of charcoal - briquettes vs. lump. The author never delved into that more. Any charcoal aficionado will say lump is the only way to go.

And from experience - I've owned and used both gas and charcoal - the flavor is different. I couldn't tell you why, but it is the truth.

I also question the validity of some random blogger vs. Bon Appetit. Anyone willing to do the research can find someone to support their view.

Sorry, not sure how to embed the video at this site, but I found this interesting... It's worth a couple minutes to help bolster your opinion (if it does).

http://www.wired.com/2013/03/video-the-art-of-grilling/

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10702050)
Sorry, not sure how to embed the video at this site, but I found this interesting... It's worth a couple minutes to help bolster your opinion (if it does).

http://www.wired.com/2013/03/video-the-art-of-grilling/

So big difference may be simply that my charcoal grill gets significantly hotter than a gas grill.

Silock 06-19-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10701868)

There are lots of articles about it. It's not just one blog. Even if you use lump charcoal, it's still about the heat, not the type of charcoal used. There's just not enough smoke to make a difference.

Silock 06-19-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702163)
So big difference may be simply that my charcoal grill gets significantly hotter than a gas grill.

Than some gas grills, I would say. I routinely measure my grill via infrared thermometer at 950 degrees when it gets going. Plenty hot enough. That's about he same temp that charcoal grills get.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702508)
Than some gas grills, I would say. I routinely measure my grill via infrared thermometer at 950 degrees when it gets going. Plenty hot enough. That's about he same temp that charcoal grills get.

Infrared grills can get that high, but I'm very skeptical if you're saying you're getting a standard propane grill that hot.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-19-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702528)
Infrared grills can get that high, but I'm very skeptical if you're saying you're getting a standard propane grill that hot.

I have never measured it, but I know the gauge on my Weber tops out at 800 I believe and I have pegged it often.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10702535)
I have never measured it, but I know the gauge on my Weber tops out at 800 I believe and I have pegged it often.

On a standard propane? I'm not calling you a liar, but I'll readily call your thermometer a piece of shit.

Everyone agrees charcoal burns hotter than standard gas grills, and most charcoal grills burn 500-700 at the grate.

900+ is wood fired oven temps and very difficult to reproduce, even in a charcoal kettle.

If you're getting legit 800+ on a gas grill, you need to open a pizza kitchen in your back yard. You'll make a mint.

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:31 PM

It's the surface temp of the grill not the temp of the fire in the grill

Silock 06-19-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702528)

Weber spirit natural gas 3 burner. Maybe it's the cast iron grill pan absorbing a lot of heat. And yes, that's surface temp.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702561)

That's why I specified charcoal typically gets 500-700 at the grate.

tooge 06-19-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702551)
On a standard propane? I'm not calling you a liar, but I'll readily call your thermometer a piece of shit.

Everyone agrees charcoal burns hotter than standard gas grills, and most charcoal grills burn 500-700 at the grate.

900+ is wood fired oven temps and very difficult to reproduce, even in a charcoal kettle.

If you're getting legit 800+ on a gas grill, you need to open a pizza kitchen in your back yard. You'll make a mint.

Heh, agreed. And to the "its the same flavor on gas as on charcoal" comments, that is simply not true. I cook on both. Anyone that cooks with charcoal and/or wood knows that if you see a bunch of smoke coming out of the chimney (or vents), then it is probably too much. When you are smoking foods, you shouldn't be able to see a bunch of smoke coming out. In fact, it should come out heavy for a few minutes and then be just barely visible, and you will be imparting the smoke flavor all the while. So, putting this same principle to the charcoal, which is just burnt wood, you are getting a smokey flavor from the charcoal that you simply aren't going to get from gas. The amount of smoke you see coming off is more from the meat and drippings hitting hot surfaces than from real smoke you want flavoring your food.

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:37 PM

I can get like 775 on my infrared grill but I only cook chicken on it because I don't cook steaks on ****ing gas.

My 40 dollar cast iron hibachi grill has been used so much I have burned the handles off the racks and replaced them with 2 pairs of vise grips I got from Wally World for 1.97 each
On sale for 34.99 (PRIME) at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Marsh-Allen-30...t+iron+hibachi

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702577)
That's why I specified charcoal typically gets 500-700 at the grate.

I was replying to him and you replied before I replied :)

tooge 06-19-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702587)
I can get like 775 on my infrared grill but I only cook chicken on it because I don't cook steaks on ****ing gas.

My 40 dollar cast iron hibachi grill has been used so much I have burned the handles off the racks and replaced them with 2 pairs of vise grips I got from Wally World for 1.97 each

I have one of those that I put on the table on our deck to have yakitori (sp) skewers at home. I love it for that. Gets nice and hot.

Silock 06-19-2014 12:39 PM

How much is your charcoal smoking while you are grilling meat?

Also, you can do smoking wood chips on a gas grill for flavor if you want. Same reason you'd want to on a charcoal grill - just not enough smoke from charcoal.

Silock 06-19-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702561)

Fire is a lot hotter than that. Who the **** measures flame temperature?

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702587)

That's a mighty sexy hibachi.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1169...you-doin-o.gif

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10702591)
I have one of those that I put on the table on our deck to have yakitori (sp) skewers at home. I love it for that. Gets nice and hot.

:thumb:And you don't have to put a 20lb bag of Charcoal in it to cook a steak... I have a Chimney starter (best invention ever) and I fill it up and thats all I need
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rap...himney+starter
These are not any sort of affiliate links just where to find the stuff

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702590)
I was replying to him and you replied before I replied :)

:sulk:

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10702610)
:thumb:And you don't have to put a 20lb bag of Charcoal in it to cook a steak... I have a Chimney starter (best invention ever) and I fill it up and thats all I need

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rap...himney+starter

These are not any sort of affiliate links just where to find the stuff

The thing I love about my Weber now.... I have one of the versions with the 1-liter propane tank to get the charcoal going. Put that on the coals for 5 minutes and I'm ready to go in the same time I'd be with the chimney starter. Plus I don't have to pour any coals out.

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702604)

That baby gets used too, from the motorhome to the house...

I sit on the top of my infrared (since the whole thing is cast iron and nothing can burn) it leaves me about 2 one foot sections on the infrared to cook food like BBQ chicken or corn on the cob in the husks without the possibility of burning it (you gotta be a real idiot to burn food on and infrared)

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702631)
The thing I love about my Weber now.... I have one of the versions with the 1-liter propane tank to get the charcoal going. Put that on the coals for 5 minutes and I'm ready to go in the same time I'd be with the chimney starter. Plus I don't have to pour any coals out.

Nice...

Frosty 06-19-2014 12:52 PM

I thought there was a general grill thread but couldn't find it, so will ask here.

My last grill had plain cast iron grates and it was pretty easy to deal with - burn, scrape, season. However, I had to get a new grill (old one rusted out after 6 years) and the new one came with porcelain coated cast iron grates and stuff sticks like a son of a bitch.

Any tips on dealing with them?

Silock 06-19-2014 12:53 PM

When are you oiling the grates, before or after grilling?

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702649)
I thought there was a general grill thread but couldn't find it, so will ask here.

My last grill had plain cast iron grates and it was pretty easy to deal with - burn, scrape, season. However, I had to get a new grill (old one rusted out after 6 years) and the new one came with porcelain coated cast iron grates and stuff sticks like a son of a bitch.

Any tips on dealing with them?

I just added a porcelain cast iron to my Weber. Instructions say to wash with soap and water after it's cooled.

Frosty 06-19-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702651)
When are you oiling the grates, before or after grilling?

Right before I put the meat down (this was the first time I had used it).

Before, I would fire up the grill on high, wait 5 minutes of so, scrape, oil, then cook. After the food was done, crank back up to high, wait 5- 10 minutes, turn off, scrape and oil. Worked fine for years. It didn't seem to work with the new grates, though.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:01 PM

Try doing it after they've cooled. Scrape after food is done, then oil. Don't scrape again before grilling. That might help.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702662)
Right before I put the meat down (this was the first time I had used it).

Before, I would fire up the grill on high, wait 5 minutes of so, scrape, oil, then cook. After the food was done, crank back up to high, wait 5- 10 minutes, turn off, scrape and oil. Worked fine for years. It didn't seem to work with the new grates, though.

Do not scrape porcelain enameled cast iron!

You also don't need to season them.

And you'll likely need to preheat 10-15 minutes to get a really good sear.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702667)
Try doing it after they've cooled. Scrape after food is done, then oil. Don't scrape again before grilling. That might help.

You should only season porcelain grates if there's a chip in the enamel.

Frosty 06-19-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702672)
Do not scrape porcelain enameled cast iron!

The instructions say it's okay to use a grill brush. Why is it bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702672)
You also don't need to season them.

And you'll likely need to preheat 10-15 minutes to get a really good sear.

That's good to know.

Looks like I will be soaking these and washing by hand. :grr:

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702682)

That's good to know.

Anything that's very abrasive can chip the enamel, so you'll have to season like its regular cast iron or it will rust.

Try a wooden spoon to get off bit of carbonized food, then clean and dry. (And keep it dry.)

R8RFAN 06-19-2014 01:15 PM

I don't know if you can use this on a porcelain grill but I don't use a wire brush much anymore because of the risk of the bristles coming off and sticking to food...

These bristles can kill you stuck to chicken or something...

I use these now and they work great

Silock 06-19-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10702675)
You should only season porcelain grates if there's a chip in the enamel.

I'm just relaying what the guys at the KC BBQ store told me to do. I wire brush them after cooking, then oil them. The porcelain is pretty tough. No issues in a year and a half so far. That may change in the future. I don't know.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702682)

That's good to know.

That sorta defeats the purpose of having porcelain coated grates. The maintenance is supposed to be far easier. If I had to wash my grates after every use, I'd just get regular cast iron replacements. I don't think I've ever washed my grates. I do bring them inside to store, though. I don't keep them outside.

Frosty 06-19-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10702743)
I'm just relaying what the guys at the KC BBQ store told me to do. I wire brush them after cooking, then oil them. The porcelain is pretty tough. No issues in a year and a half so far. That may change in the future. I don't know.

My understanding is you can use brass grill brushes but the stainless steel can scratch.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10702755)
My understanding is you can use brass grill brushes but the stainless steel can scratch.

I've heard that, as well.

tooge 06-19-2014 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FMB, I think I have the same grill as you. Actually just got it this past weekend for fathers day. It uses gas to start the charcoal. Best idea ever. I dump charcoal in, push a button, and in 20 minutes, I've got hot coals ready to cook.

And yes, Silock, charcoal does give an appreciable amount of smoke flavor while grilling. Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Silock 06-19-2014 01:47 PM

If you say so. I haven't seen any proof that this is true.

Fire Me Boy! 06-19-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10702865)
FMB, I think I have the same grill as you. Actually just got it this past weekend for fathers day. It uses gas to start the charcoal. Best idea ever. I dump charcoal in, push a button, and in 20 minutes, I've got hot coals ready to cook.

And yes, Silock, charcoal does give an appreciable amount of smoke flavor while grilling. Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Exact same. I love it.

Donger 06-19-2014 01:54 PM

Do you guys, after removing the food, crank the temperature back up to get rid of the stuff on the grates? I've never done that. I just fire up the grill to maximum before cooking, brush the grate, let it run at maximum for another few minutes and then lower to whatever temperature I need.

Re-cranking just seems redundant and a waste of gas.

Frosty 06-19-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10702895)
Do you guys, after removing the food, crank the temperature back up to get rid of the stuff on the grates? I've never done that. I just fire up the grill to maximum before cooking, brush the grate, let it run at maximum for another few minutes and then lower to whatever temperature I need.

In the past, I cleaned after I cooked. I only cranked for a short time before to kill off any bacteria and to heat up the grate.

tooge 06-19-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

That is why you should use charcoal. By the time it has burned itself out, your grate is clean, or at least whatever is on it is just crispy crusts that is easy to scrape off.

Omaha 06-19-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

I agree with your methodology. I just scrape before I cook.

GloryDayz 06-19-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

I do both.. I don't like the idea of the juices sitting there attracting bugs, so I post grill crank it up, and I like to the grates hot when I put the meat on, so I pre-crank it up too...

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 06:00 PM

Picked up some great looking porterhouses at the market today for $6.99 a pound. That's usually my third or fourth favorite cut, but that price is tough to beat.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10668225)
Overpriced Chick Steak

o:-)