ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 09:48 AM

Chen is still Bruce effing Chen. If he gives you an era in the 4's thats his ultimate game

Frenchy is dogshit, period. He has the worst plate discipline. He could be traded if his name was Hunter Pence.

Nightfyre 07-08-2012 09:50 AM

The KC@DET game today is MLB.tv's free game. It starts at noon. Someone with a better record than me should start a gamethread. I take responsibility for yesterday's loss. In fairness, Frenchy deserves at least a quarter of the blame, however.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8725373)
Chen,frenchy and Hos have all turned to shit this year

still not a clutch gene to be found on the team ... although Moose looks like he might be building towards it. Brox gets it done in clutch time but only after an 'almost disaster' every time.

Clutch? :spock: Clutch? :rolleyes: Clutch? :whackit:

Most overrated and overused phrase in baseball. But if you want to talk close and late situations, Butler, Moose and even Yunicorn have all been pretty good (defined by hitting at normal ability or better in those situations).

Hosmer had an OK June (even from a power perspective - 3 HR and 6 2B is not great but is OK) and has been OK in July in a small sample size.

I see that his approach has changed and improved drastically from the bad days in April and May. He's being much more selective, taking better pitches, and swinging at pitches he can drive effectively. He also is getting into better counts, which is going to lead to more success.

He's walking 40 percent more often than a year ago (good). He's striking out about 1 percent less often. He just had terrible luck to start the year and fell into an awful slump.

I'm encouraged by what we see from Hos and think his second half is going to be really strong.

As for Frenchy... I expected some regression from him, but not this much. He's the worst everyday player in MLB. And it seems like they're FINALLY seeing that (dropping him in the lineup - though they need to drop him one more spot).

Chen is interesting. He's actually striking out more hitters and walking fewer than the past two seasons, when he was a very solid 3/4 type starter. He's only giving up one more hit per game. His FIP is right in line with where it's been the past two years. The only major thing is that his BABIP - which has usually been below league average throughout his career - and his strand rate, which is about 10 percent lower.

You can look at that two ways. You can look at it as Chen having bad luck with strand rates and his BABIP normalizing (which leads to the conclusion this is the real Bruce Chen). Or you can look at it as a trend that is likely to reverse at some point (and he'll return to production similar to 2010 and 2011).

Personally, I think it's a combination of some bad luck AND Yost leaving him out there too long in a few situations (recent game against Minnesota, he gave up 4 runs in 2/3 in the 6th inning, and similar things have happened a few times earlier in the year).

That's a product, though, of the dogshit performance of the rest of the starting rotation. In some of those cases, they've NEEDED more innings from Chen to rest the pen.

Great Expectations 07-08-2012 10:15 AM

Signing Frenchy for two years was worse than the Sanchez trade. Our offense is dead with two outs and either Dyson or Frenchy up. Might as well let our pitchers hit and DH one of them.

Ceej 07-08-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8725442)
The KC@DET game today is MLB.tv's free game. It starts at noon. Someone with a better record than me should start a gamethread. I take responsibility for yesterday's loss. In fairness, Frenchy deserves at least a quarter of the blame, however.

We are the game thread starting beating sticks.

:(

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 10:21 AM

Pretty sure Myers wasn't expected to come up until mid next year at the earliest. He should be up now.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725488)
Pretty sure Myers wasn't expected to come up until mid next year at the earliest. He should be up now.

Yeah, when Frenchy was signed to a two-year deal (they offered an identical deal to Melky Cabrera), Myers was coming off of a .250ish campaign at NWA. He played great in the Arizona Fall League, but it remained to be seen how he would react to failing for the first time as baseball player.

I would imagine he was expected to spend at least the first half of 2012 at NWA, with a stint in Omaha to close the year and possibly some more time in Omaha to start 2013. That was logical and reasonable at the time.

it's better to have this problem than the other way around (see: 2B position and the meh performances of Christian Colon and Johnny Giavotella).

Jenson71 07-08-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8725442)

Although most of my teachers told me I would never amount to anything significant in life, I'm pleased to report that my gamethread-starting record is 4-1 (and one rainout) this year.

KCUnited 07-08-2012 10:39 AM

Apparently, Myers is hitting a cool .733 on Wii Baseball at Fan Fest this morning.

Jenson71 07-08-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8725523)
Apparently, Myers is hitting a cool .733 on Wii Baseball at Fan Fest this morning.

BRING HIM UP NOW

Raiderhater 07-08-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8725474)
Signing Frenchy for two years was worse than the Sanchez trade. Our offense is dead with two outs and either Dyson or Frenchy up. Might as well let our pitchers hit and DH one of them.

Don't think I would go that far. But yeah, I am over him. Yesterday sealed the deal for me.

Bowser 07-08-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8725523)

I've seen Francouer hit .750 before. [/Dayton]

cabletech94 07-08-2012 10:50 AM

i'll be heading up to the hrd tomorrow. i've got 2 extra tix to fanfest. i'd be willing to sell both @ half price. 30 bucks and they're yours (face value 60). pm me if your interested. i'll be up that way around 11:30am.

Raiderhater 07-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8725538)
i'll be heading up to the hrd tomorrow. i've got 2 extra tix to fanfest. i'd be willing to sell both @ half price. 30 bucks and they're yours (face value 60). pm me if your interested. i'll be up that way around 11:30am.

By selling both do you mean you are not willing to sell them individually?

cabletech94 07-08-2012 11:00 AM

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 8725550)
By selling both do you mean you are not willing to sell them individually?

:clap:

someone had to be the comedian, right?

if someone wants to buy 1 @ 15 dollars, then they can have 1 @ 15 dollars.

if you are a midget, or little person, it's still 15 mother effing dollars!!!!:)

Raiderhater 07-08-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8725555)
:clap::clap:

if you are a midget, or little person, it's still 15 mother effing dollars!!!!:)

Oh hell, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant $30 each. Not $30 for both.

cabletech94 07-08-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 8725561)
Oh hell, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant $30 each. Not $30 for both.

30 bones takes both my friend. just trying to pay for gas, my brother.

Ceej 07-08-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8725555)
:clap::clap:

Where do you live?

And when does the HRD start? I'm in Topeka and work until 6pm tomorrow.

cabletech94 07-08-2012 11:06 AM

i'm in pittsburg. i've got 4 fanfair tix. 2 i'll be keeping for myself. i believe teh derby starts @ 7pm. the ff tix are good for tuesday also.

Raiderhater 07-08-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8725564)
30 bones takes both my friend. just trying to pay for gas, my brother.

PM sent.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 11:37 AM

Because I'm bored (and this is what Royals fans have to look forward to), here's my current top 10 prospects, with the next 10 in no particular order.

1) Wil Myers (duh).
2) Jake Odorizzi (duh).
3) Bubba Starling. Flashing the great tools - especially as a defender - that he was touted for, but also sporting good plate discipline - a positive surprise - and an apparently drastically retooled and improved swing. Ceiling is the same. Floor might be rising.
4) Kyle Zimmer. When you go 4th overall, you have to break a team's top 5, right? I'd like to see them be aggressive and promote him straight to Wilmington or at least Kane County, once his hamstring is healthy.
5) RHP Yordano Ventura. He's starting the Futures Game for the World Team today. Diminutive righty has amazing velocity despite his size. Very similar to the more-touted Carlos Martinez of the Cardinals. Curve is awesome when he controls it. Change needs work. Floor is lights-out bullpen guy (see: Herrera, Kelvin). Ceiling is good MLB starter.
6) OF Jorge Bonifacio. Great hit tool and good plate discipline for a guy from the DR. Probably a second-half promotion to Wilmington.
7) LHP Mike Montgomery. He's still only 22 and has plenty of time to figure things out. Has to do it sooner rather than later, though. Still a 6-5 lefty with plus-potential. Ceiling hasn't changed - but the floor has lowered considerably.
8) SS Aldaberto Mondesi. I realize this is a really aggressive ranking and I'm out on a limb, but the kid is 16 and hitting over .300 in Idaho Falls. He'll turn 17 the last week of July, but if he hits that well at that level at that age over the full season, you're looking at someone who will shoot up prospect ranks. For comparison: Jurickson Profar hit .250 at short-season A ball at the same age (which is a half step between Rookie and A Ball).
9) LHP John Lamb. Again, aggressive, but I think Lamb is going to have a comeback similar to Wil Myers. A little taste of failure/set-back is going to focus the player and get him to work extremely hard and make sure he's at his best. Would love to see Lamb get into Arizona Fall League action, where I think he can make some noise. Another guy who can shoot back up the ranks.
10) RHP Kyle Smith. This is a tough call, but Smith is as good as any. 2011 draftee is already at Kane County, an aggressive promotion for a HS pitcher, and has K'd 29 in 18 2/3 innings so far this season.

Next 10:
2B Christian Colon. Has been out the past month with an injury, but was showing signs of coming around with the bat at NWA.

SS Orlando Calixte. Scouting report says he can stick at SS, and he has shown impressive slug despite hitting in the .250 range this season.

OF Elier Hernandez. Not hitting as well as Mondesi at Idaho Falls, but still flashes the tools that made him a key signee.

3B Cheslor Cuthbert. Struggles with the bat continued early in 2012 (carry-over from second half of 2011), but he is starting to hit of late. Still has good plate discipline and flashes enough at 3B to think he can stick.

RHP Jason Adam. Probably not a TOR starter, but looks like he could be a back-end guy.

RHP Sugar Ray Marimon. Doesn't have great stuff, but it is good enough, and has a good feel for pitching.

LHP Chris Dwyer. Still has great stuff. Past month: 29 2/3 IP, 22K, 7 BB, ERA just over 3. Figuring it out? Who knows.

RHP Angel Baez. Great body and raw stuff/potential. Still new to pitching and figuring that portion of things today.

3B Patrick Leonard. Flashing tremendous raw power so far. Striking out a lot, but oh well.

RHP Bryan Brickhouse. Classic pitcher's body with good stuff. Hasn't pitched as well as fellow 2011 draftee Kyle Smith, but has much more potential.

Looking at that, most of the talent is clustered between A+ to Rookie ball. They did a great job in the 2011 draft, from early returns.

KCUnited 07-08-2012 11:51 AM

MLB just in the Downtown Peanut "regulating" Boulevard signage that showcases the All Star logo. Our Time.

Bowser 07-08-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8725643)
MLB just in the Downtown Peanut "regulating" Boulevard signage that showcases the All Star logo. Our Time.

:facepalm:

stonedstooge 07-08-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8725643)

The KC news was showing the MLB Nazis at the FanFest yesterday, making sure noone was infringing on their trademarks. Representatives were showing how you could get screwed buying second rate wearable products that supposedly will shrink up to GI Joe sized after 1 washing compared to their stuff that's over priced by around 800% which is a steal.

Shogun 07-08-2012 01:57 PM

Getting ready to head out to the K for the futures game

gblowfish 07-08-2012 01:58 PM

Here's a quick halftime rundown, not taking into account injuries, which is a totally different subject altogether.

Snapshot of first half, now complete:

Good:
Perez hitting .386
Butler w/16 HRs
Escobar hitting .311
Broxton 21 out of 24 save opportunities
Tim Collins 55 Ks in relief

Bad:
12 Game Losing Streak
Gordon 5 HRs
Gordon, Moose, Frenchy all over 60 Ks
Dyson has six errors in the outfield.
Royals have used 22 pitchers this year.
Sanchez 1-5 6.75 ERA in 11 starts.
None of our current available starters have a winning record.

2011: Royals play .438 ball, finish in next to last ahead of Twins.
2012 first half: Royals play .446 ball, in next to last ahead of Twins.

So, has this team been better than last year? Barely, just barely.

Shogun 07-08-2012 02:02 PM

Don't forget paulino, Duffy with ucl tears

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:05 PM

Gordon has a shit ton of doubles. Tied for league lead. While doubles are obviously < HRs, they are not without significant value.

In short, Alex Gordon is not even close to being a concern for this team, since Yost removed his head from his ass and put Gordo back in the lead-off spot.

Raiderhater 07-08-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725866)
Gordon has a shit ton of doubles. Tied for league lead. While doubles are obviously < HRs, they are not without significant value.

In short, Alex Gordon is not even close to being a concern for this team, since Yost removed his head from his ass and put Gordo back in the lead-off spot.

I'll take a lead off double every time.

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 8725875)
I'll take a lead off double every time.

Absolutely. Gordon gets on base and possesses pop. Great lead-off hitter in my book.

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725877)
Absolutely. Gordon gets on base and possesses pop. Great lead-off hitter in my book.

I would like to see him try to swipe a couple more bags though.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:12 PM

Issues are the SP staff, this team wont win period this year. I don't think they crack .500 at all. Hosmer needs to improve in the 2nd half and hope Myers gets to see some ML ab's

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8725880)
I would like to see him try to swipe a couple more bags though.

If he can do successfully, great. But stolen bases are often way overvalued by fans.

Gordon needs to do one thing: get on base. I don't give a flying **** if he does nothing else. Get. On. Base.

Period.

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725885)
If he can do successfully, great. But stolen bases are often way overvalued by fans.

Gordon needs to do one thing: get on base. I don't give a flying **** if he does nothing else. Get. On. Base.

Period.

I would agree if someone other than Betancourt was batting two hole. I know Escobar has been hitting two hole recently. But, as it stands I like him more as the 9 hole hitter.

Al Bundy 07-08-2012 02:14 PM

You know it's bad when the Pirates are dramatically better than you.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:16 PM

Escobar is better off at 9 imo...

A guy like Melky (maybe cain) at #2 may help

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:18 PM

MY ideal lineup for the rest of the year would be...

gordon
cain
butler
moustakas
myers
perez
hosmer
betancourt
escobar

just with the #'s so far this year

Don't have a real #2 hitter just guessing at this point

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8725891)
I would agree if someone other than Betancourt was batting two hole. I know Escobar has been hitting two hole recently. But, as it stands I like him more as the 9 hole hitter.

Myers. Would love to see him up after the break in the 2 spot.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8725857)
Here's a quick halftime rundown, not taking into account injuries, which is a totally different subject altogether.

Snapshot of first half, now complete:

Good:
Perez hitting .386
Butler w/16 HRs
Escobar hitting .311
Broxton 21 out of 24 save opportunities
Tim Collins 55 Ks in relief

Bad:
12 Game Losing Streak
Gordon 5 HRs
Gordon, Moose, Frenchy all over 60 Ks
Dyson has six errors in the outfield.
Royals have used 22 pitchers this year.
Sanchez 1-5 6.75 ERA in 11 starts.
None of our current available starters have a winning record.

2011: Royals play .438 ball, finish in next to last ahead of Twins.
2012 first half: Royals play .446 ball, in next to last ahead of Twins.

So, has this team been better than last year? Barely, just barely.

Breaks it down pretty well. A few things I'd add.

Good:
Mike Moustakas as a complete player. He's playing great defense at 3B and in his first full season, it poised to be the second-best all-around 3B in the American League (behind Beltre). I'd be thrilled if he ends this season at .270 with 30 HR, 40 2B and 94 RBI, his current pace.

Alex Gordon's recovery. As pointed out, even though he isn't hitting a ton of home runs, he's still slugging the ball well. He's on pace for 10 HR and 54 2B. I'd bet he ends up with something like 18 HR and 45 2B by the end of the year.

Kelvin Herrera has been everything we expected. Very good reliever.

Bad:

Hochevar's continued Jekyll-and-Hyde act.

Luck. The Royals are playing better than they did a season ago despite getting almost no offensive production from CF, RF and C (for 2/3 the season), a disappointing first half from Eric Hosmer, and elbow injuries to Paulino and Duffy. If you'd told me before the season that all those things would happen, I would have told you the Royals would have the worst record in baseball.

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725900)

gordon
cain
butler
moustakas
myers
perez
hosmer
betancourt
escobar

I actually like Getzy at the two spot if and when he ever returns.

It is a shame (thus far) that Giovatella may not pan out.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8725903)
Breaks it down pretty well. A few things I'd add.

Good:
Mike Moustakas as a complete player. He's playing great defense at 3B and in his first full season, it poised to be the second-best all-around 3B in the American League (behind Beltre). I'd be thrilled if he ends this season at .270 with 30 HR, 40 2B and 94 RBI, his current pace.

Alex Gordon's recovery. As pointed out, even though he isn't hitting a ton of home runs, he's still slugging the ball well. He's on pace for 10 HR and 54 2B. I'd bet he ends up with something like 18 HR and 45 2B by the end of the year.

Kelvin Herrera has been everything we expected. Very good reliever.

Bad:

Hochevar's continued Jekyll-and-Hyde act.

Luck. The Royals are playing better than they did a season ago despite getting almost no offensive production from CF, RF and C (for 2/3 the season), a disappointing first half from Eric Hosmer, and elbow injuries to Paulino and Duffy. If you'd told me before the season that all those things would happen, I would have told you the Royals would have the worst record in baseball.

Bad is Frenchy being Frenchy and fooling us all and Sanchez a non factor, actually worse than having a scrub from AAA.

BigMeatballDave 07-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 8725892)
You know it's bad when the Pirates are dramatically better than you.

You're a moron.

They sit at 10 games under.

They're usually around 20 under at this point.

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:22 PM

Winning teams have legit slug at the 2 spot. It's one of the most important roles in the entire lineup, and the notion that it's for someone to "handle the bat" and "move runners" is simply wrong.

Nightfyre 07-08-2012 02:23 PM

Ideal, post-break line-up:

LF Gordon
RF Myers
1B Hosmer
DH Butler
3B Moustakas
2B Betancourt/Getz
CF Dyson/Bourgeois
SS Escobar

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8725909)
You're a moron.

They sit at 10 games under.

They're usually around 20 under at this point.

Pirates are like 10 games over .500...they also have pitching

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725900)

gordon
cain
butler
moustakas
myers
perez
hosmer
betancourt
escobar

Gordon
Myers
Moustakas
Butler
Hosmer
Perez
Cain
Betancourt/Getz
Escobar

Myers gets placed in a low-pressure spot in the order that will ensure he sees a lot of fastballs.

Moustakas is protected by Butler and gets more at-bats.

Butler is protected by Hosmer, who is good enough despite the slump for teams to work to Butler.

Perez moves up in the lineup.

Cain replaces Francouer. We KNOW he can't give much less offensively, and Cain at least gives them a third premium defender up the middle.

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8725911)

LF Gordon
RF Myers
1B Hosmer
DH Butler
3B Moustakas
2B Betancourt/Getz
CF Dyson/Bourgeois
SS Escobar

Not far from what I'd like to see.

Switch Hosmer and Moose. DFA Dyson. Insert Cain.

Profit.

BigMeatballDave 07-08-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

LF Gordon
RF Myers
1B Hosmer
DH Butler
3B Moustakas
2B Betancourt/Getz
CF Dyson/Bourgeois
SS Escobar

Ugh.

Any lineup with Dyson in it is not ideal.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

LF Gordon
RF Myers
1B Hosmer
DH Butler
3B Moustakas
2B Betancourt/Getz
CF Dyson/Bourgeois
SS Escobar

Not a bad idea having 8 batters **** up instead of 9

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:25 PM

And as I'm typing, duncan suggests damn near the identical lineup.

I'd say he reposted my thoughts, but...

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725910)
Winning teams have legit slug at the 2 spot. It's one of the most important roles in the entire lineup, and the notion that it's for someone to "handle the bat" and "move runners" is simply wrong.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, or not well put. And I know neither is mine.

But I like guys who can do the little things in the two spot - get on, swipe a base, sacrifice if need be, etc.

I must have the old school mentality but I like guys at the one and two spot who set the table for the middle of the line up.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:27 PM

Melky was huge as a #2 hitter last year. Myers may be better off ther than Cain. Who knows wtf cain is

Nightfyre 07-08-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725919)
Not a bad idea having 8 batters **** up instead of 9

I knew I was missing a righty!

LF Gordon
RF Myers
1B Hosmer
DH Butler
3B Moose
C Perez
CF Cain/Bourgeois
2B Betancourt
SS Escobar

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8725926)
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, or not well put. And I know neither is mine.

But I like guys who can do the little things in the two spot - get on, swipe a base, sacrifice if need be, etc.

I must have the old school mentality but I like guys at the one and two spot who set the table for the middle of the line up.

Lineups are generally overrated, but what you definitively need is your best three hitters getting the most ABs. That's it.

In many ways, Butler would make for a good choice in the #2 hole. Now, old-school guys will say, "Whoa! Clogs the bases!" I say, "Don't care. Gets on base. Has legit slug."

Myers is a better athlete and would--we hope--fill the role perfectly.

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725928)
Melky was huge as a #2 hitter last year. Myers may be better off ther than Cain. Who knows wtf cain is

An oft-injured pussy is what we know he is so far. Now he has to prove us wrong.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725910)

Agreed. That's old-school, National League thinking. Which evidence tells us is what Ned Yost does.

Sure-Oz - yes, the Pirates have received good pitching, but how much of that is pitching that is part of the long-term plan there?

They took a flier on Bedard, who has been Chen-esque.

Burnett has been good, but he's aging and not under contract after next season.

Correia has been acceptable but not outstanding.

The only stud pitcher the Pirates have is James McDonald, who is the good counterpart for Kyle Davies. Similar guys - post-hype prospects, both moved at the deadline for Octavio Dotel. The difference is that McDonald was a winning lottery ticket and Davies was "please try again."

They've done a nice job cobbling together a rotation, but only one of their five starters is really someone to envy. Burnett could be a good investment through next year again (and was someone many talked about the Royals acquiring). It wouldn't surprise me to see all of that except McDonald fall apart next year, if not in the second half.

Of course, due to draft position... they could have Cole and possibly Taillon ready for action next year, so...

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725934)
Lineups are generally overrated, but what you definitively need is your best three hitters getting the most ABs. That's it.

In many ways, Butler would make for a good choice in the #2 hole. Now, old-school guys will say, "Whoa! Clogs the bases!" I say, "Don't care. Gets on base. Has legit slug."

Myers is a better athlete and would--we hope--fill the role perfectly.

I also like the #2 guy to have some of speed. I like the idea if Billy, Moose, or whomever is hitting three hole can score the guy on first base with a double.

I'm unfamiliar with Myers' speed.

DeezNutz 07-08-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8725944)
I also I like the #2 guy to have some of speed. I like the idea if Billy, Moose, or whomever is hitting three hole can score the guy on first base with a double.

I'm unfamiliar with Myers' speed.

Great athlete. Not especially fast. Average to a tick above. Still, would be a solid option in CF because you need someone there who possesses great instincts and takes great routes.

Myers can be this guy.

And if he continues to rake, he would clearly by an outstanding option in the 2 hole. Just get our best three the most ABs. That's why I hesitate not to have Butler hitting third.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:36 PM

Agreed about the Pirates. Surprised by Burnett doing so well but the Royals definetly need 2 guys to pan out and soon. Damn injuries

The lineup in Pitt is not that scary imo. Mccutchen is a stud there and who else is there?

Nightfyre 07-08-2012 02:36 PM

Myers should start in Right field because frenchy is that ****ing bad.

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:37 PM

Frenchy is a worse hitter than Betancourt right now, thats pretty sad

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8725947)
Great athlete. Not especially fast. Average to a tick above. Still, would be a solid option in CF because you need someone there who possesses great instincts and takes great routes.

Myers can be this guy.

And if he continues to rake, he would clearly by an outstanding option in the 2 hole. Just get our best three the most ABs. That's why I hesitate not to have Butler hitting third.

I think we are missing the biggest variable in this entire line up equation.

Myers is still a Stormchaser.

:(

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:40 PM

Myers will be in AAA and Robert Ford seems to think he'll be a sept callup or next year. He's stayed on that stance all year

Nightfyre 07-08-2012 02:40 PM

Next year we should get Lamb and Odo up into the rotation. Dwyer has been on lately and could also make an appearance in the beginning of 2013. If we can get three of these guys up, it will go a long way towards solidifying our team.

Ceej 07-08-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8725959)
Myers will be in AAA and Robert Ford seems to think he'll be a sept callup or next year. He's stayed on that stance all year

Other than GMDM being an idiot -- are there any legitimate reasons to keep Myers in Omaha?

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8725962)
Other than GMDM being an idiot -- are there any legitimate reasons to keep Myers in Omaha?

No...

None.

He is adjusting to the breaking ball now as well which seemed to be an issue earlier.

CaliforniaChief 07-08-2012 02:47 PM

Alrighty. This three game series, right or not, has convinced me that it's not quite #ourtime.

It IS, however, time to do the following:

1. Call up Myers. (Duh.)
2. Call up Odorizzi (Again, Duh.)
3. Call up Montgomery
4. Trade Broxton.
5. Trade Frenchy.
6. Bring up Cain when well.
7. Send Sanchez to Omaha.
8. Bring up Giovatella.

Reaper16 07-08-2012 03:05 PM

FUTURES GAME ON NOW. OUR TIME.

Deberg_1990 07-08-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8725994)
FUTURES GAME ON NOW. OUR TIME.

Is it on tv ?

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 03:09 PM

Woohoo. see both of our young pitchers and Myers. Of course no mention of any royals players by espn

kstater 07-08-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 8726001)
Woohoo. see both of our young pitchers and Myers. Of course no mention of any royals players by espn

They just spent several minutes talking about Odorizzi.

kstater 07-08-2012 03:11 PM

Odorizzi sucks.

SPchief 07-08-2012 03:11 PM

BUST

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 03:11 PM

a 19 year old just went yard, well we wont see Odorizzi ever now

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8726002)
They just spent several minutes talking about Odorizzi.

When it first started, of course i walk away from the tv when they talk about a ROyal

Dr. Johnny Fever 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8726000)
Is it on tv ?

ESPN2

And Odorizzi gives up a homer to the second batter

CaliforniaChief 07-08-2012 03:13 PM

Apparently we originally tried to acquire Profar from the Rangers in the Greinke talks.

CaliforniaChief 07-08-2012 03:13 PM

Looks like he has a nasty breaking ball. Fastball around 94.

SPchief 07-08-2012 03:14 PM

Sit the **** down

Sure-Oz 07-08-2012 03:14 PM

Ok time for a HR off of Ventura now