ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

BigMeatballDave 12-08-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9188794)
Oi, how did you hard brick it? I never had a SII, but the original Galaxy was near impossible to hard brick.

I wiped the ROM I was running to restore back to a different ROM. Something I've done 100 times. When I tried to reboot, it wouldn't.

This is the second time I've hard-bricked an S2. The last time was about a yr ago when I was with Sprint. They fixed it. No charge.

This S2 is the AT&T Skyrocket model that I'm using on Straight Talk.

I can fix soft-bricks.

WoodDraw 12-08-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9189388)
I wiped the ROM I was running to restore back to a different ROM. Something I've done 100 times. When I tried to reboot, it wouldn't.

This is the second time I've hard-bricked an S2. The last time was about a yr ago when I was with Sprint. They fixed it. No charge.

I can fix soft-bricks.

That's weird. You must have ****ed up the bootloader somehow. Normally when that happens it's from people flashing something wrong onto the phone...

BigMeatballDave 12-08-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9190503)
That's weird. You must have ****ed up the bootloader somehow. Normally when that happens it's from people flashing something wrong onto the phone...

Yeah, I was surprised. I've never heard of a hard-brick resulting from a restore.

Also, I was using TWRP instead of Clockworkmod recovery.

Have you seen the video of how they repair bricks?

DaFace 12-09-2012 09:34 PM

I just downloaded SwiftKey Flow. So far so good. I like that it is exactly like the normal SwiftKey but let's you do the Flow thing when you want to.

WoodDraw 12-10-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9190689)
Yeah, I was surprised. I've never heard of a hard-brick resulting from a restore.

Also, I was using TWRP instead of Clockworkmod recovery.

Have you seen the video of how they repair bricks?

Yeah, I've actually done it before. It's becoming harder and harder with newer phones. Yours is an odd story though. Surprising...

nstygma 12-10-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9189388)

I can fix soft-bricks.

what recovery are you using?
did you run a script for wipe?

BigMeatballDave 12-10-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9195813)
what recovery are you using?
did you run a script for wipe?

Typically, I use clockworkmod, but I was using TWRP(Team Win Recovery Project) recovery.

Like I said, I've had 2 hard bricks. The 1st one was with CWM.

What is script?

nstygma 12-11-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9196036)
Typically, I use clockworkmod, but I was using TWRP(Team Win Recovery Project) recovery.

Like I said, I've had 2 hard bricks. The 1st one was with CWM.

What is script?

basically you flash a script zip and it performs several functions for you, instead of you having to do it manually.
like darkside super wipe or his cache wipe. but apparently you only need the wipe for cwm, twrp does the wiping properly

BigMeatballDave 12-12-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9199024)
basically you flash a script zip and it performs several functions for you, instead of you having to do it manually.
like darkside super wipe or his cache wipe. but apparently you only need the wipe for cwm, twrp does the wiping properly

I've used Superwipe before. It's a nice tool.

I should have my phone back friday. I'll report on it.

BigMeatballDave 12-13-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9188479)
Has anyone heard of this site? http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/

Well, I just got my phone back. Good as new. $50 + $7.70 for shipping and insurance. Entire process only took 9 days.

-King- 12-16-2012 06:33 PM

The most frustrating thing about the S3 is that it keeps switching back to the default Samsung keyboard.

I honestly cannot stress enough how shitty that keyboard is.

I read this is fixed with the 4.1.2 software update but I haven't gotten it yet.

BigMeatballDave 12-16-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9215369)
The most frustrating thing about the S3 is that it keeps switching back to the default Samsung keyboard.

Samsung keyboards are awful.

BigMeatballDave 12-16-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9215369)

I read this is fixed with the 4.1.2 software update but I haven't gotten it yet.

If you are rooted, you can install an app that will enable you to delete the default Samsung keyboard.

nstygma 12-16-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9194977)
I just downloaded SwiftKey Flow. So far so good. I like that it is exactly like the normal SwiftKey but let's you do the Flow thing when you want to.

if they fixed a few things, it would be better than swype

-when i tap on a word to select a correction, it doesn't select the entire word, just the characters up to the point where the cursor is, making it difficult to select a new word. am i missing something?
-it doesn't let me flow in every available typing space like entering an address into Maps

WoodDraw 12-17-2012 11:02 PM

Google is running their holidays Play store special. It's a bit different than normal. Every day they offer a new "surprise". Today's is:

Quote:

$35 CREDIT FOR HOTEL TONIGHTBY THE GOOGLE PLAY ELVES
Welcome to the first day of Google Play's surprise calendar countdown! Don't forget to return each day through 1/1/2013 for a special free or discount offer to you, direct from Google Play.

Today only: download Hotel Tonight and get $35 to use toward your first hotel booking! Hotel Tonight lets you book great same-day rooms at top-rated hotels in over 70 destinations across the globe. To redeem, enter promo code: Google35.
Come back tomorrow for another Apps, Books, Movies, TV or Music surprise!