ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343207)

Lzen 03-16-2023 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16857792)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1gv6z7R6E2g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was actually enjoyable. I don't hate on Orlando. I am glad that the Chiefs didn't cave to his contract demands. But he got paid by the Bengals so good for him. I do find it hilarious that he didn't get anywhere near what he thought he was worth. Oh well. I think the Chiefs might actually come out of this better in the long run.

BigRedChief 03-16-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16858430)
That's a great deal for the Bengals

One that he should have signed in KC, So whiy didn't he? How did so much bad blood develop?
Or Veach decided he didn't want the guy and we need to move on?

MIAdragon 03-16-2023 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 16858162)
Has anyone bet on themselves and failed more spectacularly than Oh Blow J?LMAO

17th highest paid left tackle.

It’s about what he’s worth.

MIAdragon 03-16-2023 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16858486)
One that he should have signed in KC, So whiy didn't he? How did so much bad blood develop?

We wanted better than average.

Eleazar 03-16-2023 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 16858458)
That was actually enjoyable. I don't hate on Orlando. I am glad that the Chiefs didn't cave to his contract demands. But he got paid by the Bengals so good for him. I do find it hilarious that he didn't get anywhere near what he thought he was worth. Oh well. I think the Chiefs might actually come out of this better in the long run.

I agree.

The Bengals upgraded from bad to average at a key position. They paid a fair market price for that. That's marginally bad for us.

We saved tons of money we almost spent on a bad contract for an average player. That's definitely good for us.

No hate on OBJ from me, just a deal that didn't really work out. Next man up

Red Dawg 03-16-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

We gave Taylor 60 guaranteed and Brown got 43. Half of what he actually wanted. Once we signed Taylor any deal was off. At the time he wanted like 80 guaranteed. But after day one it's obvious he wasn't getting it so he settled.

JPH83 03-16-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16858344)
Umm...That's literally the definition of 'upside'. It means he could very well end up getting better.

Yeah my point is you COULD say he has better upside, it may be the case, I just don't think you can say it with any confidence if a guy has never played in that position.

redfan 03-16-2023 08:53 AM

He's a grade A prima-donna flake, thanks for everything and goodbye.

Chris Meck 03-16-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPH83 (Post 16858508)
Yeah my point is you COULD say he has better upside, it may be the case, I just don't think you can say it with any confidence if a guy has never played in that position.

Well, I would answer that there's every reason to believe this plan will work. Taylor is vastly superior athletically; he's the exact opposite of Brown. He's gotten better each season, and is still 25. Quick feet, good technique. Other than some sort of catastrophic injury, the WORST case scenario is that he can't adjust to opposite movement, so you move him back to RT and have to figure out LT-and in that case, you slightly overpaid. Much more likely, you've solved LT with a guy who's skillset actually matches your offense at a decent deal for the next few seasons.

You guys are going to have to get used to this. We're paying Mahomes 23% of our cap, which means we're going to have to take swings on potential and hit on them to keep pace.

This is a high floor, high ceiling signing. The floor is a good RT that's young and still getting better. The ceiling is that you've solved your LT situation for half a decade.There are projectable traits here, and we're going to have to trust Veach, Reid, and Heck.

JPH83 03-16-2023 08:55 AM

Added annoyance will be if/when the Bengals pick a RT in the 1st that we like. Hope we counter with finding a speed rusher at DE. I know, I know, this isn't really a mature approach to drafting, but I want to bury the Bengals forever.

Sassy Squatch 03-16-2023 09:06 AM

Taylor dominated Joey Bosa to the point he was frothing mad and got himself ejected from their playoff game. Not to mention how instrumental he was in that 27 point comeback. Dude put up elite numbers with just one season of quality coaching from Pederson instead of dregs like Marrone and Meyer. Imagine what Reid can accomplish with him.

tredadda 03-16-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

Because he needed the market to set his value. Before that he thought he was more valuable than he was. Then reality set in and had he tried to go back to KC he wouldn't have received the original amount from Veach. Veach would have given him something similar to Cincinnati. I doubt Brown Jr's. pride would have allowed for that.

tredadda 03-16-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16858568)
Well, I would answer that there's every reason to believe this plan will work. Taylor is vastly superior athletically; he's the exact opposite of Brown. He's gotten better each season, and is still 25. Quick feet, good technique. Other than some sort of catastrophic injury, the WORST case scenario is that he can't adjust to opposite movement, so you move him back to RT and have to figure out LT-and in that case, you slightly overpaid. Much more likely, you've solved LT with a guy who's skillset actually matches your offense at a decent deal for the next few seasons.

You guys are going to have to get used to this. We're paying Mahomes 23% of our cap, which means we're going to have to take swings on potential and hit on them to keep pace.

This is a high floor, high ceiling signing. The floor is a good RT that's young and still getting better. The ceiling is that you've solved your LT situation for half a decade.There are projectable traits here, and we're going to have to trust Veach, Reid, and Heck.

For the first bolded part, that's the reality that all teams who have a franchise QB not on a rookie contract have to deal with. Thankfully we have the best in the business, so dealing with it is easier.

For the second part, Andy knows OLines and I think at this point Veach, Heck (to a point), and Andy have earned the benefit of the doubt.

We didn't just lose Roaf in his prime here. When we cut Fisher everyone freaked out until we got Brown Jr. and even then many were unhappy. While he was better than nothing he was far from elite. Despite that KC hosted two AFCCGs and won a SB with him. I think they will be fine with Taylor after the initial shock wears off.

BWillie 03-16-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 16858010)
Took a deal that was 15-20% lower salary than the Chiefs offered.

Hes such a stupid fat ****. Now Bengals get a massive bargain.

One thing sbout OBJ is he's not a very hard worker. He came into the NFL draft fat and wasn't strong. Wasn't working out hard. Makes me wonder how he will be now that he got paid. I can't wait to see him whiffing on our shitty edge rushers and sacking Burrow 8 times in a game.

JPH83 03-16-2023 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 16858568)
Well, I would answer that there's every reason to believe this plan will work. Taylor is vastly superior athletically; he's the literal exact opposite of Brown. He's gotten better each season, and is still 25. Quick feet, good technique. Other than some sort of catastrophic injury, the WORST case scenario is that he can't adjust to opposite movement, so you move him back to RT and have to figure out LT-and in that case, you slightly overpaid. Much more likely, you've solved LT with a guy who's skillset actually matches your offense at a decent deal for the next few seasons.

This is a high floor, high ceiling signing. The floor is a good RT that's young and still getting better. The ceiling is that you've solved your LT situation for half a decade.

I agree on the worst case scenario, I mentioned this somewhere else. Obviously there are other potential impacts if we e.g. draft a RT and we're kinda stuck with 2. But it's hardly terminal.

Taylor is more athletic, he is absolute powder puff in the run game. Obviously, far less of a concern, but you really aren't doing a change up with him. My point is that, sure, maybe Taylor has a higher upside in the sense that we have no idea what he'll be at LT, but his floor there could be much lower. If Brown had got his $23m per year from the Bengals I'd probably be less annoyed

Hammock Parties 03-16-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16858661)
Hes such a stupid fat ****. Now Bengals get a massive bargain.

their fans aren't gonna think so about 4 weeks into the regular season

Hammock Parties 03-16-2023 09:45 AM

now OBJ truthers are on twitter trying to convince the kingdom that the chiefs were going to rip up the deal they offered after three years

LMAO

really? 5 for 95 with the cap getting bigger and the price for a left tackle undoubtedly going up...you think they're ripping that deal up after year three?

this fat bitchy high maintenance drama queen getting white knighted is the absolute worst

Lzen 03-16-2023 10:02 AM

Just came across this. If already posted, apologies. I thought this was interesting. I'm sure some of you probably were already aware but many like me had no idea.

https://youtube.com/shorts/d7vMoEQ9BJk?feature=share