ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200212)

whoman69 01-24-2009 11:04 AM

I'll be on the Clark bandwagon when he decides not to keep the team $30 million under the cap.

BigChiefFan 01-24-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 5422216)
This is exactly what I was thinking driving home yesterday and listening to the sports radio.

We're all used to leaks and things being ... well, handled really, really sloppily by Carl. Almost as if the organization were just fumbling around trying to figure stuff out, even after 20 years.

But this whole process since Clark's taken over has been the tightest-lipped and just-plain-deliberative thing I've ever seen from the Chiefs.

Yes, it's frustrating as all holy hell for fans and the media. And it may even seem like they're just sitting in an office somewhere smoking cigars and playing Fiki football with $100 bills.

But I also get the sense that grown ups are now in charge ... people who understand that the NFL, while based around a game, is in reality a big business in which leaders should properly and thoroughly vet every decision. There aren't any handshake deals, like when Lamar first started the team, and it's become incredibly cut throat on a number of levels ... something I honestly don't think Lamar really liked and didn't want to deal with.

Clark is most definitely different, and seems to have an actual plan of what to do with the team. Given the worry some of us had around here about the guy -- how involved would he be, would he rather have the team somewhere other than KC, was he even interested in the team -- these first few moves have done wonders to shore up fan confidence.

It's also taught us that, with Clark, we're going to have to be really, really patient. Dude's gotta map of where he wants to go and how to get there, and I'm more than happy to sit back and see where he takes us. Mainly because, for once, I trust the guy who's driving.

MM
~~:thumb:

Damn good post and it's good to seeing you posting on here.

Otter 01-24-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 5422216)
This is exactly what I was thinking driving home yesterday and listening to the sports radio.

We're all used to leaks and things being ... well, handled really, really sloppily by Carl. Almost as if the organization were just fumbling around trying to figure stuff out, even after 20 years.

But this whole process since Clark's taken over has been the tightest-lipped and just-plain-deliberative thing I've ever seen from the Chiefs.

Yes, it's frustrating as all holy hell for fans and the media. And it may even seem like they're just sitting in an office somewhere smoking cigars and playing Fiki football with $100 bills.

But I also get the sense that grown ups are now in charge ... people who understand that the NFL, while based around a game, is in reality a big business in which leaders should properly and thoroughly vet every decision. There aren't any handshake deals, like when Lamar first started the team, and it's become incredibly cut throat on a number of levels ... something I honestly don't think Lamar really liked and didn't want to deal with.

Clark is most definitely different, and seems to have an actual plan of what to do with the team. Given the worry some of us had around here about the guy -- how involved would he be, would he rather have the team somewhere other than KC, was he even interested in the team -- these first few moves have done wonders to shore up fan confidence.

It's also taught us that, with Clark, we're going to have to be really, really patient. Dude's gotta map of where he wants to go and how to get there, and I'm more than happy to sit back and see where he takes us. Mainly because, for once, I trust the guy who's driving.

MM
~~:thumb:

A-freaking-Men brother.

That is all.

RealSNR 01-24-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 5422477)
I'll be on the Clark bandwagon when he decides not to keep the team $30 million under the cap.

That was Carl. Be patient with Pioli. He'll use the money available in the best way possible

whoman69 01-24-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 5423449)
That was Carl. Be patient with Pioli. He'll use the money available in the best way possible

Are you so sure it was all Carl?

StcChief 01-24-2009 06:50 PM

It's obvious a plan exists, else Pioli wouldn't be here.

TEX 01-24-2009 07:08 PM

Today was the first time I have worn a Chiefs cap in 3 years. I'll also go to a game a ARROWHEAD next season, something else I haven't done in 3 years.
Goodbye Herm! Clark - you DA MAN!

jspchief 01-24-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 5422477)

This organization has never had a better time to have a lot of cap space than right now. We're in the course of an enormous youth movement, facing our second of what may be 3+ years of very high draft picks, and bringing in a new era of front office.

In a year or two we'll have signed several high picks, have the money to re-sign the young players that we want to keep, and still have some money for our new GM and HC to go get the FAs they want.

I can't imagine a better way to go about rebuilding a team that has been treading water for 2 decades.

The thing I love most about all of this is how deliberate it seems. This isn't about plugging leaks to get another ~8 win season. It's about rebuilding the dam from the ground up, even if it means slogging through puddles for a few years. They are doing exactly what Chiefs fans have been asking for for years... setting aside the desire to put butts in the seats in the short term, so they can try to build a product that will create fans for many years to come.

theorangelion 01-24-2009 07:15 PM

With the young players we have, the draft position we have, Pioli, we have a very bright future IMO. The O-line did not play that bad. Our secondary will be even better next year. The D-line needs major overhaul. DJ is the only Lb worth keeping. Another WR and get DBowe some stickem. Rb wow if we could stay healthy and get LJ an attitude adjustment. Well................ we will see what Shanny can do.LOL

whoman69 01-25-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theorangelion (Post 5423817)
With the young players we have, the draft position we have, Pioli, we have a very bright future IMO. The O-line did not play that bad. Our secondary will be even better next year. The D-line needs major overhaul. DJ is the only Lb worth keeping. Another WR and get DBowe some stickem. Rb wow if we could stay healthy and get LJ an attitude adjustment. Well................ we will see what Shanny can do.LOL

I can't agree with you on the offensive line. Part of the reason for the rash of injuries was that they couldn't protect. We also had to switch into a scheme where it was inherent to the QB to run out of trouble, keep the defense guessing. I don't think that scheme is anything more than a stopgap. You're never going to be able to build a winner on a team that cannot run out of a traditional set up or pass out of a pocket. If Thigpen wants to develop into a real QB he is going to need to be able to line up under center for most of the plays. That means he'll need footwork, and the ability to run through progressions. The offensive line is going to need to show it can create a traditional pocket. We still have some major holes.