ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ford to lay off 24,000. Temporary stop of production at Claycomo, MO plant near KC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318517)

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-30-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13855675)
No idea why someone would buy a truck for 70k. When I had a truck - it was my second vehicle - had 1e0k miles and worth 3.5k. Unless you are getting a truck - Fords options are pretty shitty. Most of the country doesn't herd cattle & haul farm equipment so, you know, the demand for trucks is diminishing among most of the population.

You're assuming that 90% of the people that buy trucks are doing so because of their utilitarian value rather than as a status symbol. Think of it like contemporary country music--a corporatized, bullshit posture meant to evoke a lifestyle that none of the people actually live.

BWillie 10-30-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13855691)
You're assuming that 90% of the people that buy trucks are doing so because of their utilitarian value rather than as a status symbol. Think of it like contemporary country music--a corporatized, bullshit posture meant to evoke a lifestyle that none of the people actually live.

Wait - so people but trucks to present a status symbol? I dont know what beneficial status symbol that would achieve. I would think it would be few and far between but I fail to understand the motivations of people often so Im sure youre right. I figured it was like a van - like god damn it I have 6 kids - guess I have to buy a van.

htismaqe 10-30-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13855713)
Wait - so people but trucks to present a status symbol? I dont know what beneficial status symbol that would achieve. I would think it would be few and far between but I fail to understand the motivations of people often so Im sure your right. I figured it was like a van - like god damn it I have 6 kids - guess I have to buy a van.

They absolutely do.

An old beater truck can haul 2x4's and seed corn.

A king cab with dualies, more lights than a Christmas tree, and in-cab 4G wifi is a status symbol.

htismaqe 10-30-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13855691)

Yep. A $90K truck is to the country set what a $90K Escalade is to the country CLUB set.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-30-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13855713)
Wait - so people but trucks to present a status symbol? I dont know what beneficial status symbol that would achieve. I would think it would be few and far between but I fail to understand the motivations of people often so Im sure youre right. I figured it was like a van - like god damn it I have 6 kids - guess I have to buy a van.

I'm sure you see more of it than you think around where you live (Kansas side, right?).

There are plenty of people I know that have never set foot on a farm for more than five minutes or picked up a power tool, but had no problem buying a King Ranch.

penguinz 10-30-2018 09:52 AM

Awesome how people think that what they want in a vehicle is all anyone wants or needs in a vehicle.

OKchiefs 10-30-2018 10:00 AM

Most men buy trucks because they have a small dick and need to compensate. End of story.

Bugeater 10-30-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13855659)
I agree on the small trucks, but they cater to a much smaller market. You look at the small truck, they are basically a choice versus an SUV. If you're an outdoorsman that doesn't need a truck to also work with, then going with a truck like the Colorado makes sense because it's priced about the same as a Traverse but it's still up there in price versus getting a smaller SUV like an Equinox or Trax. You have to take significantly fewer options than what you'd get in the SUV to get to a similar price point. Let's face it, in the grand scheme the SUV is king. If you need a real truck then those run, on average, $10k more.

Since there is basically Chevy and Toyota of late I used Chevy:
I looked at some mid-level trucks...
2019 Colorado 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box LT w/ Floor mats $35,355
2019 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 4WD Crew cab Short Box LT w/ Floor mats $45,490

I looked at some base trucks...
2019 Colorado 2.5L 4-Cylinder 2WD Extended Cab Long Box Base $21,495
2019 Silverado 4.3L V6 2WD Double Cab Standard Bed WT $33,695

The fact that you can't really get a regular cab truck any more is disturbing and the fact that everything is a huge package for an upgrade any more is also disturbing. I wouldn't need everything the LT Colorado has but I sure wouldn't want what the base has. If I'm buying a truck mostly for me to go to work and back with and to go out in the woods with, I'd want some comforts and wouldn't need a family hauler. I get streamlining but offering 1 truck that's more or less a "Sportsman's Special" would be extremely appealing.

I can get really close to that with some option setting but not quite... and it's about $34,500...

What I'd Want in a "Sportsman" truck (Using Chevy as an example):
Regular Cab (not possible now, only extended)
Short Box (not possible with an extended cab...)
4x4
3.6 L V6
WT Package with some upgrades
+ Keyless entry
+ Performance skid plate package (front/mid/tcase)
+ Trailering package (add autolock rear diff and trailer brake controller)
+ Underbody shield
+ Fog lamps
+ Window weather deflectors
+ Spray on bed liner
+ Front and rear splash guards
+ All-weather floor mats
+ Off-Road Gas Shocks
+ LED bed lighting

Make that truck for about $28-29k and you'll sell a ton of them.

The current Z71's and ZR2's as well as Toyota's TRD's have waaaaaaaaaay too many options that the average guy doesn't need nor want in a truck but they have to get because it's the only package with the options I listed. I don't need heated leather seats, a back scratcher, a ball washer, and whatever ****ing else they want to throw in there. It's just bloat on a truck.

Trucks are where the domestics make their money. So they are going to get you for as much as they can.

You know why Ford stopped making the Ranger? And why Dodge stopped making the Dakota?

Because they were eating into their full size truck sales, and they weren't as profitable.

Sassy Squatch 10-30-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13855813)
Trucks are where the domestics make their money. So they are going to get you for as much as they can.

You know why Ford stopped making the Ranger? And why Dodge stopped making the Dakota?

Because they were eating into their full size truck sales, and they weren't as profitable.

Yep.

penguinz 10-30-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 13855807)
Most men buy trucks because they have a small dick and need to compensate. End of story.

Not completely correct. The truck has to have an 8" lift on it with lightbars and never leave pavement for this statement to be correct.

htismaqe 10-30-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 13855822)
Not completely correct. The truck has to have an 8" lift on it with lightbars and never leave pavement for this statement to be correct.

ROFL

Truth.