ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Evaluate the Defense Game #1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324958)

Danguardace 09-09-2019 01:22 AM

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this week only. Reminded me of the Chargers game to start last season a lot of stuff you can call garbage yards, a lot of heat game was pretty over through the middle portion.

mnchiefsguy 09-09-2019 01:26 AM

Yeah, I was thinking around C-/D+...but they had only given up 13 points heading into the 4th quarter. If they continue to do that, Chiefs are going to win a **** ton of games. They made the stops at the critical times in the 3rd/early 4th quarter when the lead was only 10 and the outcome in doubt. As long as they give the offense the chance to pull away, things will be good. Hopefully they will improve week to week.

Bump 09-09-2019 01:47 AM

was Breeland out there a lot? I noticed he didn't have any tackles and had 1 PD. Which could mean that he covered so well that they never threw near him or he didn't play much?

Danguardace 09-09-2019 02:31 AM

This is where Spags and his staff are going to need to improve on Sutton, we know there are issues can he coach, correct and scheme to improve week on week.

Like I said benefit of the doubt for this week.

New World Order 09-09-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 14435659)
This is where Spags and his staff are going to need to improve on Sutton, we know there are issues can he coach, correct and scheme to improve week on week.

Like I said benefit of the doubt for this week.

I'm fine with the benefit of the doubt and I completely understand it.

But when you face an offense that is forced to play a 6th-round rookie off the bench and he completes almost 90% of his throws, that is something to be concerned about.

MaHomies 09-09-2019 02:51 AM

Biggest problem was 3rd down Defense. Secondary and/or the pass rush need to be better on big plays. Tackling and run defense was good.

GloryDayz 09-09-2019 06:24 AM

While it might true that the D will gel with time, it's just as true that other team's Os will shake off their rust if they played sparingly in the preseason.

Since this is an Andy Reid team and we know Andy spends pretty-much all his cycles on the O, I'm not going to give the D the benefit of the doubt that they'll improve tremendously from yesterday. Some? Sure. To a 15th - 18th ranked D? I don't think so.

Put it this way, the best thing the D can do is to help the O-line get better and make sure Patrick goes untouched for the rest of the season. Hill and Mahomes getting dinged was damage the D could hardly afford.

For the record, I hope I'm wrong...

O.city 09-09-2019 06:29 AM

I’ve sobered up a bit from yesterday

Defense was fine. Gave up 13 points then just played prevent

It was 37-13 with 9 minutes to go in the game. That’s pretty ****ing good

We curb stomped a pretty good defense and made them wanna just mouth and fight

People can’t handle this offense

Sassy Squatch 09-09-2019 06:35 AM

The role players did their jobs. The cornerstones need to step it up in a big way.

Chris Meck 09-09-2019 06:35 AM

I give the defense a C.

tackling was much better overall. Run defense was better when it mattered. I noticed no blitzing whatsoever, which was interesting.

I thought we'd see more from the pass rush, but I chalk a little of that up to the heat.

I know we've seen career day performances from several unknown QB's, but to be honest, Minshew was pretty impressive in his decision making. He was decisive and accurate. Jax helped him by sticking with the run, and KC stayed pretty vanilla. This game was nowhere near as close as the score, and my guess is that KC kept it pretty close to the vest as a result.

I expected them to get better as the season goes on, and I still expect that.

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 06:37 AM

Pretty sad to say but our defense shortcomings actually helped us. My issue was that the new defense was supposed to keep us off the field. Stop the run, if you get beat, get beat big. In the process, get a few turnovers and drive killing sacks. We did none of those things. The bright side is that we needed to keep mahomes off the field this game. The bad news is in future games, qbs not named Gardner minshew will be able to close out drives. Gotta be better than that. We need more pressure and if we're going to be bad at stopping the pass, we have to be better than adequate stopping the run.

Aspengc8 09-09-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14435740)
Pretty sad to say but our defense shortcomings actually helped us. My issue was that the new defense was supposed to keep us off the field. Stop the run, if you get beat, get beat big. In the process, get a few turnovers and drive killing sacks. We did none of those things. The bright side is that we needed to keep mahomes off the field this game. The bad news is in future games, qbs not named Gardner minshew will be able to close out drives. Gotta be better than that. We need more pressure and if we're going to be bad at stopping the pass, we have to be better than adequate stopping the run.

They played very vanilla. It's the first game, they will make adjustments from here. The A22 film should be out shortly, can't wait to review. I saw a lot of positives from the front 7.

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 07:00 AM

Another thing... Isn't Jax the kind of offense we were built to beat? Run first, pass second. Dink and dunk pass offense. If minshew carved us in the quick, short passing game what will Brady do? We've got a lot of time to fix this. But if we're going to beat new England, we have to be much much better than this

chiefzilla1501 09-09-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 14435760)
They played very vanilla. It's the first game, they will make adjustments from here. The A22 film should be out shortly, can't wait to review. I saw a lot of positives from the front 7.

I'm not panicking by any means. Just saying we need to be much better.

King_Chief_Fan 09-09-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14435763)
Another thing... Isn't Jax the kind of offense we were built to beat? Run first, pass second. Dink and dunk pass offense. If minshew carved us in the quick, short passing game what will Brady do? We've got a lot of time to fix this. But if we're going to beat new England, we have to be much much better than this

agree
defense gave up more yds per play than Chiefs had
Good offenses will shred this defense
However, one game doesn't tell all when so much change...players and scheme