ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Setsuna 03-08-2019 11:51 AM

I'm not going to see it. My question is are they going to let Brie seem the most competent person in Endgame while the boys that are left follow her lead like lost puppies?

Direckshun 03-08-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14140911)
Top 500 comics of 2018 https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1...ticleID=224120

I don't see Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel on the list.

Doesn't she get any credit for being in the Avengers, who have like half the items on that list?

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 14140911)
Top 500 comics of 2018 https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1...ticleID=224120

I don't see Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel on the list.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-divers...-single-issue/

That doesn't tell the whole story. I saw some books on the list that were not good. Hunt for Wolverine was a huge letdown go example

"However, there are two major issues with considering only the top single-issue sellers when making decisions on what fans want to see. First of all, the majority of top-selling comics are*always*the true heavy hitters:*Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League, Avengers,*etc. Expecting any newer title with a lesser-known hero at the helm to do as well as these goliaths is simply unrealistic - and were that the expectation for all titles, a much wider range would be getting the chop. In addition, these sales figures only take into account one thing: single issue sales. Trades and digital subscribers are not included in this data, and the sales of trade paperbacks paint a very different story."

Also.

https://m.comixology.com/comics-best-sellers

Captain Marvel and specifically Ms Marvel have been huge digital sellers. Most my tpb's are digital as well. I try to get most singles in paper but they requires a big ass room after some time.

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14141177)
Doesn't she get any credit for being in the Avengers, who have like half the items on that list?

Both are in Avengers, Champions, several appearances on other books such as All New Wolverine etc

Baby Lee 03-08-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14141106)
What I really need to know is if the post credit scenes are worth staying for.

Haven't read it, but by the title this might answer your question.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/captain-ma...ngers-endgame/

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14141120)
I'm not going to see it. My question is are they going to let Brie seem the most competent person in Endgame while the boys that are left follow her lead like lost puppies?

So are you not going to see end game if Captain Marvel is a badass in it? She's like Superman basically. I assume she will be one of the many leaders...we shall see.

Mr. Plow 03-08-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14141264)
Haven't read it, but by the title this might answer your question.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/captain-ma...ngers-endgame/

Damnit. That's not helpful. "Spoilers ahead" :)

Nirvana58 03-08-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14141288)
Damnit. That's not helpful. "Spoilers ahead" :)

Neither credit scene is needed if you don't feel like staying. The first one is pretty early into the credits so you might as well watch that if you feel like.

The second one you have to wait forever and is definitely not worth the wait.

listopencil 03-08-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14140880)
For the record, it is Captain Marvel, but there is a series for a different Marvel character called Ms. Marvel that has a cult following.

I think it was a one-off, though.

OK. I thought they were the same character. That Cap Marvel became Ms Marvel when the character turned into a woman at some point. I didn't get into comic books much as a kid and my knowledge of the stories/characters is mostly from TV/movies/games.

listopencil 03-08-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14141075)
I mostly agree with this. The plot was VERY disjointed, all starting from the very beginning. Movie probably should have started with Benning's character and her work re: Project Pegasus.

100% agree with you on Larsens lack of charisma.

On another point...the villian in this film is very underwhelming. I mean I get why it had to be that way given the story etc...but I was like ..."wow so that's it?"

Kind of hard for me to pick 'the' villain. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it, but yeah. And that's what I was thinking after I made my post about the structure of the film - start with Project Pegasus. Annette Benning did a pretty good job overall. Her and Jackson could have carried the movie.

listopencil 03-08-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14141120)

She wouldn't be the only OP character in the fight. Static Electricity Thor is pretty bad ass. If the Hulk actually shows up he should be ridiculously strong. And how much plot armor are they going to cram into Iron Man's suit and Captain America's shield? And then Doctor Strange can always pull rabbits out of his ass.

arrowheadnation 03-08-2019 01:30 PM

I don't think this is really a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags just in case.

Spoiler!

Fish 03-08-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14141306)
OK. I thought they were the same character. That Cap Marvel became Ms Marvel when the character turned into a woman at some point. I didn't get into comic books much as a kid and my knowledge of the stories/characters is mostly from TV/movies/games.

Not exactly. Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel after a bunch of others donned the Captain Marvel role.

Danvers storyline.. if I'm remembering correctly:
  • Captain Marvel comic is introduced in the late 50s starring an alien named Mar-vell as Captain Marvel.
  • Mar-vell develops a romance with Carol Danvers, who works for NASA. She's just a normal person at this point.
  • Like 5 other people take over the Captain Marvel role and have their own stories.
  • 1977, she reappears in the new comic Ms. Marvel getting super powers when a machine blew up and she absorbed Mar-vell's powers becoming Ms. Marvel.
  • She stays as Ms. Marvel for another 15 years or so, then takes on the name of Binary after her powers get boosted in space. Works with Avengers and XMen.
  • She loses her Binary powers(Rogue steals them), and changes her name to Warbird. Again works with Avengers, etc.
  • Finally in 2012, she takes over the role of Captain Marvel.

kcpasco 03-08-2019 03:07 PM

Marvel wanted their own Wonder Woman. Captain Marvel wasn’t it, she’s kind of a boring character. A Storm movie I would have loved to have seen if they wanted a great female lead. I’ll pass on this shitshow.

Frazod 03-08-2019 03:08 PM

Current RT Scores: Critics 81%, Audience 35%

Oops.

BigRichard 03-08-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14141537)
Current RT Scores: Critics 81%, Audience 35%

Oops.

I think they already know RT got bombarded by some bot scores but they should be able to weed those out I would believe to get a proper scoring. I will be interested to see what it is once that is done. I am sure once they weed them out they will still be screaming Russian bots or some such shit.

DaFace 03-08-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14141546)
I think they already know RT got bombarded by some bot scores but they should be able to weed those out I would believe to get a proper scoring. I will be interested to see what it is once that is done. I am sure once they weed them out they will still be screaming Russian bots or some such shit.

Probably not as easy as you'd think. You can dedupe by IP address, but there really isn't much you can do to prevent bot spamming unless you somehow verify ticket purchases, which would be a nightmare.

Bowser 03-08-2019 03:29 PM

Hopefully I find this enjoyable when I see it. I don't give a shit about Brie's politics, and I'm only there for the entertainment anyway, so I just want a good film.

I'm afraid Marvel is trying to find a nice and tidy deus ex machina to Thanos and the gauntlet, and in doing so will "rush" this story. That's worst case for me, I think. Best case is that this movie sets up Endgame and opens the door not only to Cosmic Marvel, but the bringing together of the Fox entities coming to Marvel (her manipulation of the quantum realm and how that could lead to an infinite number of other realities, giving Marvel their path for total unification of their characters....).

listopencil 03-08-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14141364)
Not exactly. Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel after a bunch of others donned the Captain Marvel role.

Danvers storyline.. if I'm remembering correctly:
  • Captain Marvel comic is introduced in the late 50s starring an alien named Mar-vell as Captain Marvel.
  • Mar-vell develops a romance with Carol Danvers, who works for NASA. She's just a normal person at this point.
  • Like 5 other people take over the Captain Marvel role and have their own stories.
  • 1977, she reappears in the new comic Ms. Marvel getting super powers when a machine blew up and she absorbed Mar-vell's powers becoming Ms. Marvel.
  • She stays as Ms. Marvel for another 15 years or so, then takes on the name of Binary after her powers get boosted in space. Works with Avengers and XMen.
  • She loses her Binary powers(Rogue steals them), and changes her name to Warbird. Again works with Avengers, etc.
  • Finally in 2012, she takes over the role of Captain Marvel.

Ah, OK, thanks. I had it backwards and inside out.

listopencil 03-08-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowheadnation (Post 14141362)
I don't think this is really a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags just in case.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Setsuna 03-08-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14141280)
So are you not going to see end game if Captain Marvel is a badass in it? She's like Superman basically. I assume she will be one of the many leaders...we shall see.

I'm going to see Endgame. I just wonder how she's going to interact with the males is all. How she fights is no concern of mine.

Quote:

They already deleted 54K reviews for the movie. So....:shrug:

listopencil 03-08-2019 03:48 PM

Brie Larsen reminds me of that female firefighter character on Rescue Me.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/33/8f...a34ed3454c.jpg

Diane Farr as Firefighter Laura Miles.

Beef Supreme 03-08-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14141177)

She can have credit for whatever you want. How long has she been in the Avengers? And do people like her in the Avengers?

I'm just telling you, Marvel Comics has tried pretty hard for several years to put Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel front and center and it has mostly been met with a big meh. I don't really give a shit if she is popular or not, but you have been talking like you are some kind of expert throughout the past several pages of this thread and anyone who has even a tertiary knowledge on the subject can tell you are talking out of your ass.

Fish and I don't agree on much of anything other than what belongs in the NOPE thread and the fact that you don't have a ****ing clue what you are talking about on this subject.

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14141636)
I'm going to see Endgame. I just wonder how she's going to interact with the males is all. How she fights is no concern of mine.

They already deleted 54K reviews for the movie. So....:shrug:

In general it'll be hard to replace Tony Stark and Cap if they do leave. Hopefully she'll fit in...I trust marvel not to screw up.

Saulbadguy 03-08-2019 05:18 PM

I saw it last night, great movie.

kcpasco 03-08-2019 05:34 PM

You know when the vast majority of fans that watch End Game would rather watch Thanos brutally rip her in half but instead she will probably give him the death blow it’s not going to go over well. Marvel has a pr problem on its hands. They need to just recast Brie Larson, she’s toxic.

FAX 03-08-2019 06:55 PM

Good movie.

Recommend.

FAX

ThaVirus 03-08-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14139199)
This thread...wow. I guess I will never get why people care what the actors and actresses say and think about politics. IDMAS to me.

I am excited to see the movie because it will play a role in the Infinity Wars movies and gets everything set up for End Game. Other than that, it's just a comic book movie and I don't care at all about the politics or any of that nonsense.

Has anyone on this thread actually seen the movie yet and have an opinion based on something besides your hatred of Brie Larson and all those damn Hollywood liberals?

IDMAS? It doesn't matter a shit to me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14139844)
A) I don't really know what I'm talking about. I had comics in the early 90s; had my favorites for 5-6 years and then found other stuff to do. I'm not a hardcore comic fan. That said, I did also speak inartfully when I said she doesn't have a following 'to speak of'. Meaning mostly that I meant it in relative terms. If that wasn't clear, it probably could've been.

Now B) Precisely because of the the above, I can say that your Iron Man comparison is a pretty bad one. I absolutely knew who Iron man was. He was a pretty top end character, especially as a solo shop rather than an ensemble. I had no earthly idea who Captain Marvel was.

Id' say I'm pretty precisely the dividing line in identifying a 'fringe character' vs a fairly major one. I knew of any/all major comic book characters to be part of major motion pictures up until Ant Man (wait...maybe Guardians; did they come before Ant-man? Whatever).

I suspect I'm not alone here and my point is precisely to point out that this idea that we're supposed to be galled if people don't flock to see a movie just because a B level Marvel figure is helming it is silly. Ant Man was projected to open at $60 million. This movie's projected at 2-3 times that despite the fact that the main character is of similar repute among the population writ large (which is to say, no cultural cache among the general populace at all).

This is a throwaway property being propped up precisely because Marvel wants a strong female lead. Alright, fine - do that. It makes business sense. But don't expect me to care. If the movies good, I'll see it - Ant Man was awesome and more critically it was a needed infusion of light fare in an increasingly heavy MCU. You can argue that a female lead is needed in an increasingly male MCU as well - again, that's fine. But the movie had better be good on its own merits.

Precisely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14139989)
When did Ironman become a B level character?

I guess it's all pretty arbitrary, but prior to 2008 I'd definitely place Iron Man in Marvel's second tier of superhero popularity. The name was known but no one gave a shit about him until RDJ put on the mask.

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 08:41 PM

Going Sunday...can't wait.

Sure-Oz 03-08-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 14141812)
You know when the vast majority of fans that watch End Game would rather watch Thanos brutally rip her in half but instead she will probably give him the death blow it’s not going to go over well. Marvel has a pr problem on its hands. They need to just recast Brie Larson, she’s toxic.

I haven't really seen most fans of comics online bitch about her except people upset with Brie and her comments.

007 03-08-2019 10:47 PM

Considering going Sunday but the wife doesn't understand the need to purchase the tickets in advance. She doesn't want to pay the service fee. Told her, if you want to see the movie this weekend your going to have to.

FAX 03-08-2019 11:46 PM

This will be a very good movie for Marvel-Cinema fans to discuss in a few weeks (after most people have had a chance to attend). There were some very interesting decisions made by Marvel and the directors, IMO.

There we also some fascinating advances in movie-making tech showcased in this film.

FAX

DaFace 03-08-2019 11:56 PM

Just got back. I generally enjoyed it, but it's far from my favorite. Overall, I just thought it felt very muted overall. It wasn't THAT much of a 90s movie. The cat wasn't THAT funny. It was pro-girl, but not THAT much. Larson acted it well, but pretty safely. So...whatever. It wasn't dumb. I'm not champing at the bit to see Captain Marvel 2, though.

Sure-Oz 03-09-2019 12:52 AM

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/201...a-cinemascore/

A CinemaScore

RT score almost final at 79% on 329 reviews
Audience score at 51% on 18747 trying to weed out trolls and bots.

Sorry 03-09-2019 03:21 AM

It was an origin movie so don't expect an advance complex plot. In terms of pace, action, humor, acting, cinematography, plot, filler, and believability they are all in the 90% range. I think it's a top 3-5 marvel movie (prob closer to five than one). You can feel the weight if how powerful marvel could be, now we will see how she acts with everyone on screen. I had low expectations going in due to the trolls and stupid preconceived notions but I was thoroughly proven wrong. Go see this movie!

Rausch 03-09-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14142057)
I haven't really seen most fans of comics online bitch about her except people upset with Brie and her comments.

You aren’t looking very hard then.

Without spoilers retcons/continuity problems with Fury, Kree , Skrulls, Mar-Vel, as well as the lack of a strong villain (a marvel staple at this point.)

There are huge departures in this film that change or limit characters moving forward.

Rausch 03-09-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Yes. RT deleted over fifty thousand reviews.

WhiteWhale 03-09-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14133331)
I like that it's getting positive reviews. It'll be important for this film to do well, I think. The MCU is unique in that it has created a pretty great backlog of interesting female characters.

The Scarlet Witch is a mega-powered but emotionally immature. The Black Widow came across in films like Cap 2 and Avengers 2 as someone doing what she can to survive. Gamora has the background of an assassin but the heart of a noble warrior. Mantis just wants to exist in freedom. And this doesn't even include Jessica Jones, who is Marvel's best-ever female but her role in the MCU is relegated to the Netflix street-levelers. Or the bloodthirsty Hela, or the whipsmart Shuri. The Wasp has a ton of potential, too, as her action scenes have been phenomenal.

The MCU has done such a brilliant job cultivating a good backlog of female characters in the background that I have a hard time thinking they can't push one to the front of a movie. I can't help but think the eventual Black Widow movie won't make gazillions of dollars, and there are tons of alternative arthouse possiblities with characters like Rogue, or Squirrel Girl, or Ms. Marvel, or Kate Bishop.

But all those characters have shades of subtlety and quirks. I think your cinematic universe needs a broad heart-of-gold character at its center for all the other idiosyncrasies to bounce off of. The universe of female characters needs Captain Marvel to land.

The MCU needs that character, too. For a decade-plus, it's been Chris Evans' Captain America. For the next decade, it'll probably be Brie Larson's Captain Marvel.

I'm sure this movie will at least be pretty good, based on the early reviews on Twitter. But if it's a smash success and a really good film, we're looking at an excellent decade-plus ahead, and a new generation of diverse superheroes from every walk of life, rather than the usual parade of white guys.

Thank you for this NPC barf that could have been spewed word for word from anyone at the marvel PR department. It really shows insight when you parrot things.

We get it. White guys bother you.

We'll see what happens. All the characters you mentioned are pretty much failures in the comics with an exception (rogue, who is rarely presented as a stand alone character) with constant cancellations and character repackaging, unlike the white men with decades of success that upset you so much. Other than that you're just naming a lot of characters who have been at the forefront of the absolute collapse of Marvel comic sales. Half of them are just self inserts by bad writers who have high opinions of themselves.

Captain Marvel has been a bad character. She's been cancelled/repackaged 9 times. She's less popular now than she was in the 70's in spite of being put at the forefront, loaded with mega powers, and presented as a flagship character.

This movie is like a 'last chance' to finally get something out of a character they've shoved down their audiences throat for 15 years with no success. On top of that if the MCU follows the comics' lead and get started with the non stop propagandizing with their typical SJW racism and sexism, the whole MCU will bomb. Their audience is made up largely of the white guys you revile so much. Man, it must be HARD to be made that uncomfortable by someone's white penis. How do you cope?

Reminds me of how Dr STrange recast the ancient one because they were afraid SJW's would call it a racist trope, and instead they complained about whitewashing. The reality? They WOULD HAVE complained about the racist asian trope! You can't satisfy them and they don't buy shit. They just want to control things. Stop bowing to them.

That doesnt' mean the movie is bad. Feige is a genius. If anyone can make it work, he can. I'll eventually watch it. I'm expecting the same tired marvel formula though so I'm in no rush.

Mr. Plow 03-09-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14142300)
Just got back. I generally enjoyed it, but it's far from my favorite. Overall, I just thought it felt very muted overall. It wasn't THAT much of a 90s movie. The cat wasn't THAT funny. It was pro-girl, but not THAT much. Larson acted it well, but pretty safely. So...whatever. It wasn't dumb. I'm not champing at the bit to see Captain Marvel 2, though.

Thanks. You've always been even handed, so i've been waiting for your review.

DaFace 03-09-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14142510)
Thanks. You've always been even handed, so i've been waiting for your review.

Don't get me wrong - it's worth seeing. There are some fun loose ends in the MCU that get tied up a bit. I just don't think her story is all that compelling (and I'm really trying hard not to get stuck in the "because she's a girl" mentality).

My biggest issue is a bit of a spoiler - more about the character than the movie itself, but read at your own risk:

Spoiler!

Bowser 03-09-2019 10:11 AM

Also, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing a young Fury and Coulson working together and seeing how SHIELD grows in its early days.

Sorry 03-09-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14142433)
Thank you for this NPC barf that could have been spewed word for word from anyone at the marvel PR department. It really shows insight when you parrot things.

We'll see what happens. All the characters you mentioned are pretty much failures in the comics with an exception (rogue, who is rarely presented as a stand alone character) with constant cancellations and character repackaging, unlike the white men with decades of success that upset you so much. Other than that you're just naming a lot of characters who have been at the forefront of the absolute collapse of Marvel comic sales. Half of them are just self inserts by bad writers who have high opinions of themselves.

Captain Marvel has been a bad character. She's been cancelled/repackaged 9 times. She's less popular now than she was in the 70's in spite of being put at the forefront, loaded with mega powers, and presented as a flagship character.

This movie is like a 'last chance' to finally get something out of a character they've shoved down their audiences throat for 15 years with no success. On top of that if the MCU follows the comics' lead and get started with the non stop propagandizing with their typical SJW racism and sexism, the whole MCU will bomb. Their audience is made up largely of the white guys you revile so much. Man, it must be HARD to be made that uncomfortable by someone's white penis. How do you cope?

Reminds me of how Dr STrange recast the ancient one because they were afraid SJW's would call it a racist trope, and instead they complained about whitewashing. The reality? They WOULD HAVE complained about the racist asian trope! You can't satisfy them and they don't buy shit. They just want to control things. Stop bowing to them.

That doesnt' mean the movie is bad. Feige is a genius. If anyone can make it work, he can. I'll eventually watch it. I'm expecting the same tired marvel formula though so I'm in no rush.

A lot of this screams fragility that theres more going on the screen than what your familiar with. In your world, there would be no cultural breakthroughs of having a strong woman role or an all black cast or a mix of sexuality and race etc. You'd probably complain about if they changed Superman to Asian even tho Superman is an alien and could literally be anything. The world is changing. "Sjw" because they want to expand their audience and people who can relate to a movie is not a bad thing. This movie was actually really well written and acted. This is coming from someone who admittedly had to fight the classic "she's a girl - they're trying to hard to be just like a man -trope".

Stop being angry lol

+ There's a reason the main core audience is white and why there is a changing of the guard. Connect the dots chief.

The Franchise 03-09-2019 12:18 PM

I know....super sexist take here but I was really looking forward to getting Adam Warlock on the big screen.

Sorry 03-09-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14142726)
I know....super sexist take here but I was really looking forward to getting Adam Warlock on the big screen.

I was reading that he might be introduced in guardians three

vailpass 03-09-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14142708)
A lot of this screams fragility that theres more going on the screen than what your familiar with. In your world, there would be no cultural breakthroughs of having a strong woman role or an all black cast or a mix of sexuality and race etc. You'd probably complain about if they changed Superman to Asian even tho Superman is an alien and could literally be anything. The world is changing. "Sjw" because they want to expand their audience and people who can relate to a movie is not a bad thing. This movie was actually really well written and acted. This is coming from someone who admittedly had to fight the classic "she's a girl - they're trying to hard to be just like a man -trope".

Stop being angry lol

+ There's a reason the main core audience is white and why there is a changing of the guard. Connect the dots chief.

Hey there big hitter. In the Media forum DC doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

Mr. Plow 03-09-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14142542)
Don't get me wrong - it's worth seeing. There are some fun loose ends in the MCU that get tied up a bit. I just don't think her story is all that compelling (and I'm really trying hard not to get stuck in the "because she's a girl" mentality).

My biggest issue is a bit of a spoiler - more about the character than the movie itself, but read at your own risk:

Spoiler!

Definitely seeing it. Just wanted to see what I felt would be an honest opinion without the other stuff weighing in.

CoMoChief 03-09-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14142300)

That's being awfully generous.

The more I think about the movie the more I realize I hated it.

Probably 2nd worst MCU movie other than Dark World

CoMoChief 03-09-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14142397)
It was an origin movie so don't expect an advance complex plot. In terms of pace, action, humor, acting, cinematography, plot, filler, and believability they are all in the 90% range. I think it's a top 3-5 marvel movie (prob closer to five than one). You can feel the weight if how powerful marvel could be, now we will see how she acts with everyone on screen. I had low expectations going in due to the trolls and stupid preconceived notions but I was thoroughly proven wrong. Go see this movie!

ROFL

Not even close.

It's a bottom 5 for sure.

Which is sad really...this movie was given every opportunity to succeed. MCU released it during a major cliffhanger film, gave it SB commercials, the whole 9yrds.

Larsons politics aside, it was a poorly done movie with horrible dialogue, acting and ****y plot.

Mulliganman 03-09-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14142576)
Also, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing a young Fury and Coulson working together and seeing how SHIELD grows in its early days.

Any theories about who or what the actor that plays Coulson will be playing in the upcoming season of Agents of Shield this summer?

Sorry 03-09-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14142735)
Hey there big hitter. In the Media forum DC doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

Go Jack off in your fav Cassel jersey

Sorry 03-09-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14142753)
ROFL

Not even close.

It's a bottom 5 for sure.

Which is sad really...this movie was given every opportunity to succeed. MCU released it during a major cliffhanger film, gave it SB commercials, the whole 9yrds.

Larsons politics aside, it was a poorly done movie with horrible dialogue, acting and ****y plot.

Different strokes. It's easily more enjoyable than a lot of origin films they did.

Nothing about it was horrible lol gross exaggeration to anyone reading this and looking at the pulse of the film if they should see it or not. It's comparable to antman I suppose

kcpasco 03-09-2019 12:51 PM

RT is deleting the obvious 1/2 star troll negative reviews but not the blatantly bs troll 5 star positive reviews. Farewell RT you have no credibility at all left.

Chiefspants 03-09-2019 01:03 PM

It's a fine, marvel cookie cutter origin story. On a similar level as Cap 1, Thor, Hulk 1, etc. I'd put it a couple of notches above Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 (I don't care to see either of those ever again).

It's not worth being called revolutionary, or marvel's worst film ever made (I've seen both extremes all over the place online).

FAX 03-09-2019 01:28 PM

It's just a freaking movie, guys ...

Potential spoilers below the line ... be advised ...

I was disappointed that Captain Marvel didn't perform a full-frontal striptease at a bar on the Kree planet. I was also a bit upset that she didn't engage in super-sex with a Skrull. This could have eventually led to the birth of the wackiest damn supervillain ever and provide her character the "conflicted mother" arc.

FAX

kcpasco 03-09-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14142848)
It's just a freaking movie, guys ...

Potential spoilers below the line ... be advised ...

I was disappointed that Captain Marvel didn't perform a full-frontal striptease at a bar on the Kree planet. I was also a bit upset that she didn't engage in super-sex with a Skrull. This could have eventually led to the birth of the wackiest damn supervillain ever and provide her character the "conflicted mother" arc.

FAX

You sexist pig you. How dare you want to see Captain Marvels woman bits.

FAX 03-09-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14142805)
It's a fine, marvel cookie cutter origin story. On a similar level as Cap 1, Thor, Hulk 1, etc. I'd put it a couple of notches above Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 (I don't care to see either of those ever again).

It's not worth being called revolutionary, or marvel's worst film ever made (I've seen both extremes all over the place online).

I think this is a fair assessment.

Marvel may also be a victim of their own success, as well. It happens. As Marvel movies have improved and become more and more profitable, people's expectations rise.

It might well be that The Avengers arc is a one-of-a-kind, non-repeatable deal. Kinda like the Rise Of Mahomes.

How are they going to replace the sheer, on-screen, charismatic power of their previous leads, for example? That, in itself, is going to be difficult ... if not impossible.

FAX

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-09-2019 01:54 PM

Just a awful movie

CoMoChief 03-09-2019 03:53 PM

Spoiler!

CoMoChief 03-09-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14142783)
Different strokes. It's easily more enjoyable than a lot of origin films they did.

Nothing about it was horrible lol gross exaggeration to anyone reading this and looking at the pulse of the film if they should see it or not. It's comparable to antman I suppose

Both AntMan movies were 100x more entertaining than this was. There was nothing unique about this film, and it was poorly put together. Story was all over the place.

This movie was not better than any of the other origins, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Panther, Strange, Antman, Guardians and even the first Thor were all much better.

Frazod 03-09-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14142708)

Stop being angry lol

https://img.haikudeck.com/mi/1973e79...7abc0e0bc.jpeg

1986 just called. It says you're a ****ing reerun.

kcpasco 03-09-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14143113)

It’s like the same people praising black panther for being the first black superhero movie. Have these reeruns not heard of Blade?

Sassy Squatch 03-09-2019 06:36 PM

Really don't get what all the fuss is about. Only had one moment where the 'girl power' thing was heavy handed and it wasn't like it was just thrown in for no reason. The cat was ****ing awesome.

Monty 03-09-2019 06:44 PM

Same here. I enjoyed it and went in with the expectation that this film would be a setup for the next Avengers film. I enjoyed it. Sue me.

Valiant 03-09-2019 07:26 PM

It was good, not great or amazing.

I liked the skrull twist. The lead skrull was the best part.
Her turning into an omega badass was fun and settings up avengers. But the movie opened more questions than anything.

Why didn't fury use it earlier? Somehow she was able to absorb tesseract powers, not die and become a omega level player, why wouldn't more of tried this.

I would say better than im2 or thor2 level.

6.5/10

keg in kc 03-09-2019 07:42 PM

Looks like it might clear 150 mil. Not sure what point the bot-masters have been trying to make but it evidently didn't hurt the box office much.

Maybe see it Tues or Wed. Work this weekend.

mr. tegu 03-09-2019 11:30 PM

Captain Marvel

We ended up seeing this and basically there wasn’t anything that great or anything that bad. It was pretty cookie cutter but I don’t know if that’s a bad thing necessarily. Probably the main issue for me with this movie specifically was Captain Marvel’s level of power and the
Spoiler!

CoMoChief 03-10-2019 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14143621)
We ended up seeing this and basically there wasn’t anything that great or anything that bad. It was pretty cookie cutter but I don’t know if that’s a bad thing necessarily. Probably the main issue for me with this movie specifically was Captain Marvel’s level of power and the
Spoiler!

Disney/MCU had to sneak in the whole "We love open borders, **** Trump's wall" message. And that's exactly what that was.

In the comics, the Skrulls were essentially terrorists who destroy civilizations/planets...in the movie they're "misunderstood refugees looking for a home, who got separated from their children/families and are being hunted down by the evil lying white man".

What a bunch of crap.

Let's play No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl" in the main climatic fight scene of the movie, and blare it so loud that it dwarfs any sound fx going on at the time. DUMB We get it...she's a woman, and the evil lying white man is holding her down telling her to stop being so emotional throughout the whole movie. There was literally no depth in her character at all. Jude Law's character ending up being a huge coward pussy.

Combine that w/ the shitty dialogue and acting from Larson. More I think about it, it was a crap movie.

They made Fury into a bumbling buffoon. He was funny at times, but c'mon he's a Shield agent, and Larson's black copilot friend (forget her name) retired USAF is fighting off enemy while Fury stands there and holds a cat.

I did like the cat though. And I normally hate cats.

vailpass 03-10-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

https://toofab.akamaized.net/2018/06...tt-810x610.jpg

Al Bundy 03-10-2019 09:59 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CAPTAIN MARVEL delivered $455M worldwide this weekend--$302M int&#39;l, $153M domestic--the 6th highest global debut in the history of humankind.</p>&mdash; Exhibitor Relations Co. (@ERCboxoffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1104766213568180224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

vailpass 03-10-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 14143931)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CAPTAIN MARVEL delivered $455M worldwide this weekend--$302M int&#39;l, $153M domestic--the 6th highest global debut in the history of humankind.</p>&mdash; Exhibitor Relations Co. (@ERCboxoffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1104766213568180224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice grossed $330.4 million in North America and $543.3 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $873.6 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...awn_of_Justice

Sully 03-10-2019 10:16 AM

It was very good, but not great. I won't go see it a 2nd time, like I have with many of the better Marvel films.
The acting was fine (Larson played Danvers just as how I imagine her when I read the comics... calm, confident/smug, like most pilots you see in movies). The writing was a problem. I was just never "grabbed" until the very end.
Finally, I couldn't get over how much Annette Benning looks like Tom Skerritt without the mustache. I mean, she looks great for her age, but I guess that means so does he. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Direckshun 03-10-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14142433)

LMAO

Grow up. Lord.

Direckshun 03-10-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14142726)

That’s almost certainly going to happen eventually.

lawrenceRaider 03-10-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Don't break their bubble man. Don't you realize nothing that hasn't happened in the last 10 years counts? Unless we are talking about Celebs un-PC tweets, blogs, whatever, then there isn't an expiration.

Sure-Oz 03-10-2019 03:21 PM

I enjoyed it...the 3rd act definitely was the best. Fragmented and a little slow at the beginning but solid. I thought Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel were done just fine by Brie Larson as well. Some changes from the comic for sure but didn't bother me. It might bother some hardcore comic people at what was changed. Think if you are a marvel movie fan go see it. The audience I was in clapped at the beginning of the movie when the marvel studios part was loading...pretty awesome. 2 end credit scenes...1st one is right away and is related to end game. Not absolutely necessary to see it but made me go...oh ok damn. 2nd one was a funny one.

I enjoyed the 90s references.

I probably will buy it on Blu-ray and might see it one more time.

Baby Lee 03-10-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14144075)
Don't break their bubble man. Don't you realize nothing that hasn't happened in the last 10 years counts? Unless we are talking about Celebs un-PC tweets, blogs, whatever, then there isn't an expiration.

They've already 'explained it.'

Ridley was female by casting, there was no femininity in her heroics.

It doesn't count as social progress if you just 'stuntcast' a woman into a man's role. You're not diversifying the actual narratives.

[Don't ask me how they reconcile Sarah Connor being driven by maternal instinct. I'm sure they came up with something about the bourgeoisie and patriarchal roleplay.]

Sure-Oz 03-10-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 14143957)
It
I couldn't get over how much Annette Benning looks like Tom Skerritt without the mustache. I mean, she looks great for her age, but I guess that means so does he. Lol

Lol didn't realize this till just now.

Al Bundy 03-10-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14144075)

:rolleyes:
In 1991 my friends and I realized how much of a badass she was in that movie AND we ALWAYS realized that a woman was going to eventually kill the killer in any slasher.

Fish 03-10-2019 03:51 PM

I thought it was OK. A little underwhelming. I didn't really like how drastically they changed things from the comics. Most of the changes felt completely unnecessary.

Spoiler!

Sully 03-10-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14144525)
Lol didn't realize this till just now.

Yeah. Now try to un-see it!