ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317770)

FAX 09-29-2018 04:21 PM

Who is this Haglund guy, anyhow? Has he ever played football? Is he an all-pro? Has he intercepted 2-point conversions to seal a win by 1? I think not.

I say we should not let this dude and his quote/unquote "deformity" bring us down.

Screw Haglund and the deformity he rode in on.

FAX

Mecca 09-29-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13772985)
Read the tea leaves:

-Chiefs obviously knew about this for weeks.
-Pretty clear that Berry so far doesn’t want/need surgery.
-getting better every week=inflammation is slowly going down.

I think he’ll play around mid season. Early November

As soon as he starts putting pressure on it again everything will return....he's delaying surgery because he could be a career ender and he has a ton of money left on the table he wants.

thegame214 09-29-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13772985)
Read the tea leaves:

-Chiefs obviously knew about this for weeks.
-Pretty clear that Berry so far doesn’t want/need surgery.
-getting better every week=inflammation is slowly going down.

I think he’ll play around mid season. Early November

God I wish I saw what you're seeing. I think they're holding off as long as they can before they trade for Thomas. If Seattle knows he's done then the asking price increases.

chinaski 09-29-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13772990)
Who is this Haglund guy, anyhow? Has he ever played football? Is he an all-pro? Has he intercepted 2-point conversions to seal a win by 1? I think not.

I say we should not let this dude and his quote/unquote "deformity" bring us down.

Screw Haglund and the deformity he rode in on.

FAX

See my pic earlier in the thread. That's Haglund. He isn't a football player, he's a conspiracy theorist that regularly works with a certain FBI agent(s) regarding government coverups etc. :)

Easy 6 09-29-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13772991)
As soon as he starts putting pressure on it again everything will return....he's delaying surgery because he could be a career ender and he has a ton of money left on the table he wants.

This, unfortunately

Sassy Squatch 09-29-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13772989)
Because for an athlete that relies on speed and quickness the idea that he would possibly have to have his achilles detached during that surgery...

If he has 2 surgically repaired achilles that may be it for him so he probably is doing everything he can to avoid that scenario.

Then he has to accept the fact that he's playing with chronic pain for the rest of his career and he needs to get out there.

-King- 09-29-2018 04:26 PM

Am I the only one that took this as good news? Basically the only reason he isn't playing is because we don't need him yet. Once we need him, they'll just shoot him up with pain medication and he'll play that way. Then get surgery in the off-season.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise 09-29-2018 04:29 PM

Retire and be done with it. He was a great player but his time is over unfortunately.

Trade for Earl Thomas and move forward. Maybe we can get Berry a ring before he’s gone.

FAX 09-29-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13772989)
Because for an athlete that relies on speed and quickness the idea that he would possibly have to have his achilles detached during that surgery...

If he has 2 surgically repaired achilles that may be it for him so he probably is doing everything he can to avoid that scenario.

Perhaps it's time for a refresher course, Dr. Mecca.

The endoscopic technique used to correct this problem does not require "detaching" the achilles tendon. And the likelihood that the tendon would be accidentally detached during surgery is practically non-existent.

To wit:

A proximal posterolateral portal (PPLP) is first established directly lateral to the Achilles tendon and 5-cm proximal to the Achilles tendon insertion. A 0.5-cm long vertical incision is made through the skin. Care is taken to incise only the skin, and the subcutaneous tissue is spread with a mosquito clamp. Then a blunt trocar is inserted distally to the retrocalcaneal space. After blunt dissection of the adipose tissue anterior to the Achilles tendon, a 4-mm, 30° endoscope is introduced to the retrocalcaneal space. The inflamed retrocalcaneal bursa is then identified.

To make two distal portals—a distal posteromedial portal (DPMP) and a distal posterolateral portal (DPLP) — a spinal needle is inserted directly adjacent to the Achilles tendon at the level of the superior aspect of the calcaneus under direct visualization. Instruments are introduced through the DPMP or the DPLP and visualized through the proximal posterolateral portal (PPLP). To have a better visualization, the excision of inflamed retrocalcaneal bursa is performed using a 4-mm shaver through the DPMP. If necessary, excision is done again through the DPLP.

FAX THE LAY-INTERNIST

-King- 09-29-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13772991)

Or because like California chief said, surgery could rule out playing any time this season. If it's a pain management issue, he'll play later on this season and in the playoffs
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC 09-29-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13772997)
Am I the only one that took this as good news? Basically the only reason he isn't playing is because we don't need him yet. Once we need him, they'll just shoot him up with pain medication and he'll play that way. Then get surgery in the off-season.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree but he needs to do something about his contract. Another recovery from a surgery in a year he’s making $16.5 million just can’t happen.

ACL, cancer, Achilles, bone spur.

4 surgeries on a 30 year old player just doesn’t bode well.

Mecca 09-29-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13773003)
Perhaps it's time for a refresher course, Dr. Mecca.

The endoscopic technique used to correct this problem does not require "detaching" the achilles tendon. And the likelihood that the tendon would be accidentally detached during surgery is practically non-existent.

To wit:

A proximal posterolateral portal (PPLP) is first established directly lateral to the Achilles tendon and 5-cm proximal to the Achilles tendon insertion. A 0.5-cm long vertical incision is made through the skin. Care is taken to incise only the skin, and the subcutaneous tissue is spread with a mosquito clamp. Then a blunt trocar is inserted distally to the retrocalcaneal space. After blunt dissection of the adipose tissue anterior to the Achilles tendon, a 4-mm, 30° endoscope is introduced to the retrocalcaneal space. The inflamed retrocalcaneal bursa is then identified.

To make two distal portals—a distal posteromedial portal (DPMP) and a distal posterolateral portal (DPLP) — a spinal needle is inserted directly adjacent to the Achilles tendon at the level of the superior aspect of the calcaneus under direct visualization. Instruments are introduced through the DPMP or the DPLP and visualized through the proximal posterolateral portal (PPLP). To have a better visualization, the excision of inflamed retrocalcaneal bursa is performed using a 4-mm shaver through the DPMP. If necessary, excision is done again through the DPLP.

FAX THE LAY-INTERNIST

I understand that, the issue would be how bad his spur is and if it can be done with that kind of surgery.

For example I ruptured a tendon and I had an open surgery to have it repaired had they tried to scope me it wouldn't have been repairable because it was worse then expected.

DaFace 09-29-2018 04:33 PM

Added new commentary from medical expert to the OP. There's a diagram at the link, so give them a click, will ya?

Sassy Squatch 09-29-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13773010)
Added new commentary from medical expert to the OP. There's a diagram at the link, so give them a click, will ya?

So it's preferred to not have surgery for this.

Mecca 09-29-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13773012)
So it's preferred to not have surgery for this.

It's always preferred to not have surgery if there are non surgical options.