ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Daniel Sorensen Is A Liability (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340188)

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15887663)
I'm not seeing how Mathieu is helping him at all on that play. Mathieu is breaking on the route coming across the middle underneath. How does he also help on an out route going to the sideline?

Diggs makes the first part of his move (the out) at the 50. That's right where Mathieu has stationed himself and if the ball goes to Diggs on the out, Mathieu is in a position to get over there and make a play on it. So if that's the design of the coverage (a cover-2 Robber), then Sorensen had no need to drive on the out because Mathieu was in position to continue over on it.

Now obviously if he carried the route all the way to the sideline, that would've vacated Mathieu's zone. At that point, though, you have Hughes in the area.

He just can't be that aggressive on that route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15887660)
It LOOKS like a cover 3 and if it was then that one is 100% on HB sticking to the underneath instead of taking the deep 3rd.

Yeah, if it's a cover 3 its on Mathieu. But Thornhill isn't playing like it's a cover 3 either. He's sticking right between the hash and the numbers - that looks like a cover 2 to me.

That's why some of this stuff can be tough - if it's a cover 3, Mathieu gacked it, for sure. I personally think it was a 2-deep robber sort of coverage and Sorensen blew it with a bit of an assist from Thornhill. And ultimately it could've been a disguised cover 1 with doubles on the underneath routes from Mathieu and Thornhill, in which case the blame is really on Spags for dialing up a crazy aggressive coverage w/ Sorensen being asked to do more than can reasonably be expected.

jd1020 10-11-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15887680)
Diggs makes the first part of his move (the out) at the 50. That's right where Mathieu has stationed himself and if the ball goes to Diggs on the out, Mathieu is in a position to get over there and make a play on it. So if that's the design of the coverage (a cover-2 Robber), then Sorensen had no need to drive on the out because Mathieu was in position to continue over on it.

Now obviously if he carried the route all the way to the sideline, that would've vacated Mathieu's zone. At that point, though, you have Hughes in the area.

I'm sorry, but there is just no way in hell Mathieu is ever going to be in a position to help on that route. Just pause on the first break and then look at the direction of where Diggs is headed and then look at where Mathieu is. Is Mathieu superhuman or some shit? Can he fly?

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15887683)
I'm sorry, but there is just no way in hell Mathieu is ever going to be in a position to help on that route. Just pause on the first break and then look at the direction of where Diggs is headed and then look at where Mathieu is. Is Mathieu superhuman or some shit? Can he fly?

Like I said - if it's a true 'out' I agree with you. If that ball is thrown outside the numbers, it's not a play Mathieu can make (I think that would probably be up to Hughes at that point). But look at Dan - HE didn't even play it like a deep out. He drove down on it like it was more of a stop/curl. He's driving right at the inside of the numbers there. And if that's the route he's trying to defend I do think Mathieu can make a play on it.

jd1020 10-11-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15887692)
Like I said - if it's a true 'out' I agree with you. If that ball is thrown outside the numbers, it's not a play Mathieu can make (I think that would probably be up to Hughes at that point). But look at Dan - HE didn't even play it like a deep out. He drove down on it like it was more of a stop/curl. He's driving right at the inside of the numbers there. And if that's the route he's trying to defend I do think Mathieu can make a play on it.

You started out by saying that Mathieu is covering the out route....

Hughes is sticking to his man. Mathieu is covering underneath. It legit looks to me like Sorensen was 1 on 1 over the top on Diggs.

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15887698)
You started out by saying that Mathieu is covering the out route....

I did. It was inartful.

I further clarified that if he continued to carry the route to the sideline that it would be out of Mathieu's area and the CB would presumably be responsible.

Whatever the case may be, it ain't a situation where Dan's supposed to be jumping the route, that's for damn sure.

O.city 10-11-2021 10:58 AM

Looks like Mathieu is the rat there. I can't imagine he'd be there if it's a pure cover 3 as you have about 4 other guys out of position as well.

With this defense though who knows.

kccrow 10-11-2021 11:06 AM

Honestly, what Mathieu is doing on the field isn't going to ever help this team either. You can't be that open about your teammates ****ing up on stage because I've watched him have his share of **** ups too. Your team stops responding to your leadership when you are blaming rather than leading. Sit the guy down and have a 1-on-1, anything, but not that shit. I understand accountability but I don't see how he's helping anyone be accountable.

And then that brings up a serious question with regards to the rest of the year, should KC trade Mathieu now for help in the front 7? Could you get Deion Jones from Atlanta for HB, for example? Any pass rushers?

Easy 6 10-11-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15887732)
And then that brings up a serious question with regards to the rest of the year, should KC trade Mathieu now for help in the front 7? Could you get Deion Jones from Atlanta for HB, for example? Any pass rushers?

Shake it up, go for it... maybe it'll put the rest of these clowns on notice

Boxer_Chief 10-11-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Honestly, what Mathieu is doing on the field isn't going to ever help this team either. You can't be that open about your teammates ****ing up on stage because I've watched him have his share of **** ups too. Your team stops responding to your leadership when you are blaming rather than leading. Sit the guy down and have a 1-on-1, anything, but not that shit. I understand accountability but I don't see how he's helping anyone be accountable.

Yeah I mean Tom Brady never yells at his teammates or shows them up when they mess up. Come on man, he’s trying to make them accountable. All the greats can be assholes to their teammates on the field.

The Franchise 10-11-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Why would Atlanta want HB? They suck worse than we do. If you want Jones…just trade for him.

Chiefspants 10-11-2021 11:13 AM

Tyrann lost his absolute **** in Super Bowl 54 after the Niners scored a TD to go up 20-10. It's part of who he is.

The bigger concern is why he's played like Eric Berry did in the first half of 2018.

lcarus 10-11-2021 11:17 AM

Dan's been here a long time. He's made huge plays in huge games for us. He's played his ass off on defense and special teams and done whatever was asked of him. He's been a great teammate on and off the field by all accounts. I'll always remember him fondly as a guy that helped us win a Super Bowl.

But now is now. He's not getting it done. He's giving up huge pass plays and getting embarrassed in the open field when he tries to make tackles. It's not fair to him to keep putting him out there in the current role. They have to make a change.

kccrow 10-11-2021 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Yeah, if it's a cover 3 its on Mathieu. But Thornhill isn't playing like it's a cover 3 either. He's sticking right between the hash and the numbers - that looks like a cover 2 to me.

That's why some of this stuff can be tough - if it's a cover 3, Mathieu gacked it, for sure. I personally think it was a 2-deep robber sort of coverage and Sorensen blew it with a bit of an assist from Thornhill. And ultimately it could've been a disguised cover 1 with doubles on the underneath routes from Mathieu and Thornhill, in which case the blame is really on Spags for dialing up a crazy aggressive coverage w/ Sorensen being asked to do more than can reasonably be expected.

I see what you're saying with the 2-deep robber because HB looks like he's playing the Hole. Maybe it just "seemed" like cover 3 to me because the corners are taking that awful deep and Sorensen should get help from Thornhill if that's a true robber. Maybe it's Thornhill that ****ed it all up?

Tried to attach a couple later still frames

MahomesMagic 10-11-2021 12:01 PM

I blame Spags. Sorenson is what he is.

They should be using Thornhill more and if they don't want to tell Veach to acquire someone.

dlphg9 10-11-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Would it surprise you though if that was the case? Spaggot clearly believes Sorensen is more than he is.