ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mizzou Basketball (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255770)

Captain Obvious 04-13-2012 05:59 PM

I wonder if that will have an impact on Pollard going elsewhere.

KcMizzou 04-13-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 8539324)
Mike Kelly ‏ @mizzouvoice

Oriakhi coming to mizzou

:clap: awesome

KcMizzou 04-13-2012 06:03 PM

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

Alex Oriakhi on committing to Missouri: "They don't have a big man & I can play with a pass-first point guard. It felt too good to be true."

KcMizzou 04-13-2012 06:46 PM

Terez A. Paylor ‏ @terezpaylor

Just spoke to Oriakhi. A couple nuggets: said he knew he wanted to come to #Mizzou before the visit, just didn't want to rush it.

Oriakhi also said it came down to #Mizzou and Kentucky, and going to UK was "too much of a risk" after Noel committed there.

Story coming later, but 1 more thing: when he met up with Flip last night, the first thing they did was go to the gym to get some shots up

BourbonMan 04-13-2012 06:46 PM

YES!!!!:)

KcMizzou 04-13-2012 07:04 PM

Phil Pressey with maybe his biggest assist as a Tiger.

Braincase 04-13-2012 07:34 PM

Congrats on a nice get.

KcMizzou 04-13-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Oriakhi commits to Missouri

By Terez A. Paylor - Posted on 13 April 2012

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/s...khi_032112.jpg

Missouri has found its starting center in UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi.

COLUMBIA | Alex Oriakhi arrived in Columbia around 9 p.m. Thursday night, his mind pretty much made up.

Few knew it then, but the junior transfer from UConn had already decided he wanted to attend Missouri. He just wanted to make double sure.

“This is where I wanted to go from the beginning,” said Oriakhi, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound center. “It was just a matter of me visiting.”

And while Oriakhi had two more days remaining on his weekend visit – he’s staying through Sunday – it took him less than 24 hours on campus before he realized that by waiting, he was just delaying the inevitable.

So Oriakhi made it official Friday; he was committing to Missouri, thus giving coach Frank Haith's team the defensive presence it sorely needs in the middle next season.

“Why should I delay it when my heart was telling me to commit?” Oriakhi said. “To be honest, I wanted to get it over with so I could relax and focus on getting better.”

Turns out Oriakhi, who also considered Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Xavier, shares that strong desire to get better with his soon-to-be teammates.

After he arrived in Columbia on Thursday, he was soon greeted by close friend and former AAU teammate Phil Pressey, who promptly took Oriakhi to the team’s practice facility, where they got some shots up with senior Keion Bell.

“We went right to the gym,” Oriakhi said. “A lot of these guys, from what I’ve seen, they’re all workhorses, and they sleep in the gym. I want to be a part of a team like that.”

Oriakhi said he also got back in the gym with some of his future teammates on Friday. Oriakhi said Bell, the Pressey brothers, Mike Dixon, Danny Feldmann, Earnest Ross, Steve Moore and Marcus Denmon all participated in some pickup hoops.

Shortly thereafter, Oriakhi said he finally gave word to top assistant Tim Fuller – his lead recruiter – that he planned on coming to Missouri.

“I said ‘I want to become part of the Tiger family, I want to commit,’” Oriakhi said. “And he was a happy man.”

Fuller had reason to be happy. As the lone experienced center on the roster, Oriakhi will fill a major void next season, both as a rebounder and a shot-blocker.

During his three seasons at UConn, he averaged well over a block a game, and figures to team with senior Laurence Bowers in giving Missouri a strong shot-blocking tandem in the post.

“I met Laurence today, and he’s a funny dude,” Oriakhi said with a laugh. “He was like ‘Please come here, man. I don’t want to play the five.’” (Haha)

And Oriakhi figures to get his share of minutes, which was important to him, presumably because he saw his minutes take a slight tumble this season because of the arrival of ballyhooed freshman Andre Drummond.

That experience appeared to play a role in Oriakhi’s decision to pick Missouri over his other top finalist, Kentucky, which just landed a commitment from five-star center Nerlens Noel.

“With him there, I just felt like that was their big man,” Oriakhi said of Noel. “I just thought it was too much of a risk, one I wasn’t willing to take.”

But don’t get it twisted - Oriakhi, who expects to move to Columbia as soon as possible, doesn’t want anything handed to him. He’s ready to put in the work.

In fact, he said Friday evening that he and Phil might even get some shots up later that night. After all, it’s never too early to star working toward next season.

“Missouri needs a center, and I’m going to be the center,” he said. “It’s a perfect match.”

Read more here: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/n...#storylink=cpy

O.city 04-13-2012 07:52 PM

Good get for the Tigers.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-13-2012 07:53 PM

Nice.

Molitoth 04-13-2012 07:56 PM

Sweet!

Ebolapox 04-13-2012 08:05 PM

excellent.

mnchiefsguy 04-14-2012 12:06 AM

Great news for the Tigers!

Sure-Oz 04-14-2012 12:10 AM

Stoked about this news. Huge void filled.

DJ's left nut 04-14-2012 11:36 AM

Now lets get him on the phone with Pollard.

Hopefully a frontcourt with Oriakhi, Bowers and Brown/Pollard would be good enough to get by Norfolk !@#$ing State next year....

(The bitterness from that loss never really exploded out of me; it's mostly just been a slow trickle)

Saul Good 04-14-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8540420)
Now lets get him on the phone with Pollard.

Hopefully a frontcourt with Oriakhi, Bowers and Brown/Pollard would be good enough to get by Norfolk !@#$ing State next year....

(The bitterness from that loss never really exploded out of me; it's mostly just been a slow trickle)

Pollard would be phenomenal, but I don't think it's going to happen. We've got legit talent 12 deep as it is. We're going to wind up losing players to transfer if we add Pollard, IMO. It's worth it, as he's an incredible talent, but it's far from critical. Next year's team will be more talented than this year's.

DJ's left nut 04-14-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8540423)
Pollard would be phenomenal, but I don't think it's going to happen. We've got legit talent 12 deep as it is. We're going to wind up losing players to transfer if we add Pollard, IMO. It's worth it, as he's an incredible talent, but it's far from critical. Next year's team will be more talented than this year's.

Pollard's going to Georgetown, IMO.

That said, I'll deal with the 'transfer' problem if it means getting one of the top 10 players in the country to come to Columbia.

He's the evolutionary Kim English; kid can be phenomenal.

Saul Good 04-14-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8540442)
Pollard's going to Georgetown, IMO.

That said, I'll deal with the 'transfer' problem if it means getting one of the top 10 players in the country to come to Columbia.

He's the evolutionary Kim English; kid can be phenomenal.

He plans to be a 1 and done, though.

DJ's left nut 04-14-2012 12:00 PM

Lots of kids have that plan. If he proves to be good enough to manage it, so be it.

We're going to a whole different world with Kentucky as the new plow-horse. The talent that school brings in year in/year out is insane.

Unless we're content with being an annual speedbump in Lexington, we're going to have to get a guy or two like Pollard most years.

DJ's left nut 04-14-2012 12:01 PM

Lots of kids have that plan. If he proves to be good enough to manage it, so be it.

We're going to a whole different world with Kentucky as the new plow-horse. The talent that school brings in year in/year out is insane.

Unless we're content with being an annual speedbump in Lexington, we're going to have to get a guy or two like Pollard most years.

Saul Good 04-14-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8540461)

I understand, but I'm not sure that we can't beat them next year. Some of these players aren't going to pan out for Kentucky at some point, and they're going to have down years. What Haith and co. have been building seems more sustainable to me. We're not going to be able to consistently bring in players like Cal has been. Nobody but Cal can do that (with Roy being the closest).

More than anything, we need to lock up the in-state talent. We can't keep losing the McLemores, Beales, Porters, etc. If we can start landing the majority of our homegrown stars, and I think that day is coming sooner rather than later, we will be able to compete with any program in the country.

O.city 04-14-2012 12:18 PM

Kentucky won't be near as good next year as this year, obviously. I think MU has a good chance to win the SEC next year.

It will be the year after when you guys can really determine what Haith can do recruiting wise.

Seems to be off to a good start.

O.city 04-14-2012 12:18 PM

Kentucky won't be near as good next year as this year, obviously. I think MU has a good chance to win the SEC next year.

It will be the year after when you guys can really determine what Haith can do recruiting wise.

Saul Good 04-14-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8540491)

Haith needs to prove he can land players out of high school. He's made his early bones at Mizzou off of transfers.

Saul Good 04-14-2012 12:22 PM

And with that, I'm going to start a new Mizzou basketball thread. This one is overloaded.

BourbonMan 08-09-2012 02:01 PM

MU expected to hire Western Michigan assistant coach

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/08...#storylink=cpy

BourbonMan 08-29-2012 03:02 PM

MU's full basketball schedule released; no game in KC

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/29...#storylink=cpy

Bearcat 08-29-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 8862465)
MU's full basketball schedule released; no game in KC

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/29...#storylink=cpy

Holy shit, the non-con SoS might be worse than last year. :eek:

Saul Good 08-30-2012 07:48 AM

Mizzou just landed the number 68 player in the country, Wes Clark. He's a PG out of Michigan.

I've heard him described as more of a combo guard in the mold of Michael Dixon. Nice get to be sure.

kepp 08-30-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8862718)

No kidding...weak

Saul Good 08-30-2012 08:19 AM

Kansas fans: showing how much they don't care about Mizzou by critiquing our non-conference basketball schedule in August.

eazyb81 08-30-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8862718)

Home non-con is weak, but the overall non-con is perfectly fine.

At UCLA, Illinois on neutral court, Bucknell is a solid mid-major, and of course we will have the Battle of Atlantis that will feature two games against Louisville, Duke, and/or Memphis.

eazyb81 08-30-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Wickedson (Post 8864043)
Mizzou just landed the number 68 player in the country, Wes Clark. He's a PG out of Michigan.

I've heard him described as more of a combo guard in the mold of Michael Dixon. Nice get to be sure.

Nice to see us stacking up some elite point guards. We also have a commitment from Anton Beard, a top 60 player and top PG in the 2014 class.

If we start getting some bigs we are going to be in fine shape.

BourbonMan 09-05-2012 12:07 PM

Carter joins MU basketball staff
Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith announced the hiring of Rick Carter as assistant coach on Tuesday. Carter spent the last four seasons as an assistant at Western Michigan. He graduated from Michigan State in 2002 and got his start as an assistant under Tom Izzo with the Spartans during 2003-06.
Carter will replace Ryan Miller, who left MU in July to become the top assistant for Tony Barbee at Auburn.