ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Incident at P&L District shocks DJ Jazzy Jeff (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208730)

Lzen 06-08-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottefan (Post 5824740)
I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF YOU ****ING PEOPLE THINKING THAT ANY YOUNG BLACK MALE WHO DRESSES WITH BAGGY PANTS AND WHITE T`S ARE THUGS..OK BY YOUR ****ING LOGIC I AM NO GOING TO ASSUME THAT ALL OLDER WHIT MEN AND CORRPUT , LIARS AND THEIVES AND WHITE COLLAR THUUGS BECAUSE OF ENRON, THE SAVINGS AND LOAN SCANDELS AND, THE REST OF THE CORRUPT WHITE MALES WHO SUNK ARE ECONONY AND ROBBED PEOPLE OF THEIR LIVE SAVINGS..NOW GOING BY YOUR THEORY DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?.........OH AND BY THE WAY ASS HOLE 2 OF MY LITTLE BROTHERS HAVE ALOT OF TATS DRESS IN BAGGY CLOTHES AND WIFE BEATERS..THEY ARE ALSO IN COLLEGE AND HAVE 3.6 AND A 4.0 GPA AND ARE GOOD KIDS..BUT ALL YOU ASSHOLES SEE ARE THE CLOTHES..THEY ARE TEENAGRES AND YOUNGER PEOPLE..I AM SURE THAT ALL OF YOU DRESSED TOTALY DIFFRENT WHEN YOU WERE 16-25 THEN YOU DID WHEN YOU GOT OLDER..I KNOW I DID...

Why are you yelling?

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5824751)
I guess so.

A compressor is generally used to shape the sound of a particular instrument, whether it's voice, guitar, bass, snare drum, kick drum, etc. Whether it's a Fairchild 660, LA2A, 1176, Distressor, Retro 176, and absolutely tons of other types (VCA, ELOP, etc.), they all exhibit different characteristics and have a myriad of uses, none of which is to "protect speakers".

Just slapping a compressor on something to reduce the overall gain and expecting it to "protect speakers" is nonsense, especially considering that there is an "Output Gain" or a "Gain Reduction Makeup" on each and every compressor.

So if I understand you correctly...
Compressors do NOT have thresholds that will reduce a signal that's too hot?

DaneMcCloud 06-08-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824789)
So if I understand you correctly...
Compressors do NOT have thresholds that will reduce a signal that's too hot?

If it's "too hot", pull back the fader, use a pad or turn down the gain on the preamp. Otherwise, you're changing the dynamic content of the signal.

Using a compressor to reduce a signal only is just plain dumb. And by pushing a fader or buss to its limits and using a compressor to reduce the gain will only cause "pumping and breathing".

This type of approach that you're describing is very amateur-ish and essentially, you're describing a very poor audio engineer.

Micjones 06-08-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 5824780)
I'll accept that feedback, thank you.

Now, did you get the point?

The point is that your prejudices and bias color your overall ability to properly evaluate job candidates.

Fish 06-08-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 5824780)
I'll accept that feedback, thank you.

Now, did you get the point?

I get the point that you must be a really crappy judge of character if you base so much on appearance alone and disregard everything else.

Micjones 06-08-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5824791)
If it's "too hot", pull back the fader. Otherwise, you're changing the dynamic content of the signal.

There are several ways to skin the cat, but you didn't answer the question.

Lzen 06-08-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottefan (Post 5824767)
...JUST LIKE THE WHITE GUYS WHO HAD RIPPED JEANS LONG HAIR AND A MAIDEN T SHIRT....

[/raises hand]

:rockon:

Demonpenz 06-08-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5824797)
[/raises hand]

:rockon:

what wig did you go with?

Dayze 06-08-2009 11:05 AM

i haven't bought a single item from Best Buy since 2002 because of the god awful service I received; I ended up having to eat $60 becauseof their error.

If someone doesn't like the way they are treated at a buisness etc, why would they WANT to give them their money? Take the money and spend it elsewhere.

I know that's too simplistic because of taxpayers funding the development etc...but just from a personal standpoint - I wouldn't have anything to do with them if I didn't like they way I was treated. Pretty simple to me.

Lzen 06-08-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 5824801)
what wig did you go with?

Hey now. I used to have hair back in my youth.

DaneMcCloud 06-08-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 5824795)
There are several ways to skin the cat, but you didn't answer the question.

If you want to misuse a compressor and make your signal sound like dogshit, sure you can use it in that manner. I personally don't know anyone who would do that, especially with a $500k system but it's technically possible, though stupid.

It's like using a nail gun to drill holes. It makes no sense. Turn down the fader. Don't squash your dynamics with a compressor to reduce volume, especially if you're not using any make-up gain.

It sounds like you're describing a brick-wall limiter, not a compressor. Even still, I don't know why you'd use a brick-wall limiter to "protect speakers".

mikeyis4dcats. 06-08-2009 11:08 AM

I'll trust Dane. He lives next door to Eva Longoria.

Micjones 06-08-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5824791)
This type of approach that you're describing is very amateur-ish and essentially, you're describing a very poor audio engineer.

Like all of the engineers I know who use limiters for drum recordings to "protect" the microphones?
Engineers who work very corporate studio gigs mind you.

Micjones 06-08-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5824813)
If you want to misuse a compressor and make your signal sound like dogshit, sure you can use it in that manner. I personally don't know anyone who would do that, especially with a $500k system but it's technically possible, though stupid.

It's like using a nail gun to drill holes. It makes no sense. Turn down the fader. Don't squash your dynamics with a compressor reduce volume, especially if you're not using any make-up gain.

It sounds like you're describing a brick-wall limiter, not a compressor. Even still, I don't know why you'd use a brick-wall limiter to "protect speakers".

You still haven't answered the question...
Is that merely a coincedence?

HonestChieffan 06-08-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 5824793)
I get the point that you must be a really crappy judge of character if you base so much on appearance alone and disregard everything else.

I hoped to communicate that all other things were equal. Sorry if I did not. Character wasn't the issue, judgement is.

Unstated is that if tat boy is the only one to show up, you move your recruiting effort elsewhere. Tat boy is competing with every other guy or girl who has his qualifications within the scope of the recruiters efforts.

Tat boy after the experience may take your approach that well the dude recruiting is a bad judge of character. Blame the other guy. Charcter wasn't the issue, judgement is.
Or he may go back to his dorm room ask ask himself...why didnt I get the job? If he is fortunate and has the motivation, he will seek out the guy from the deans office. Or if he really has some stones he will call the recuiter and ask for feed back.