ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Junior Seau dead, probable suicide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259152)

Thig Lyfe 05-02-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8588358)

Hahahaha a Charger was killed by a lightning strike?

TOO RICH

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8588354)
I'm no expert, but I don't believe it's the big shots that are the concern, it's the prolonged battle in the trenches that is causing the most damage. Not that big shots aren't having potential long term effects on guys, but the constant brain rattling is the focus.

For this particular issue, I think you're right.

But lets say that Harrison or someone else uses himself like a missile, goes up high and doesn't just hit someone in the dome, but at a bad enough angle to make him a vegetable or flat out kill him. The speeds involved in the game today make it possible, though still unlikely.

The specter of that happening on the field combined with stories like these is going to make the 'gladiator' element of the sport too difficult to just ignore anymore.

A bunch of retired players offing themselves may never get it done (we have an obsession with football in this country), but if someone ever actually dies on the field or shortly thereafter, the image will be too much for the NFL to recover from IMO.

Sucky 05-02-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8588258)
**** this and **** all of you for making jokes.

How funny would it have been to have a pun thread when DT died? It wouldn't have been.

Completely agree. You won't see me joking about this.

There are definitely some insensitive dbags on this message board

RIP Junior

Thig Lyfe 05-02-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 8588373)
Completely agree. You won't see me joking about this.

There are definitely some insensitive dbags on this message board

RIP Junior

C'mon, our bark is worse than our bite.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 8588360)
My first thoughts were steroids and/or concussions probably played a part in this.

R.I.P. Junior.

No , I think maybe a .45 played a part in this.

O.city 05-02-2012 01:11 PM

If, like DJ said, someone were to get killed on the field by some idiot like James Harrison, the NFL is done.

I'm thinking it might be standing on the ledge right now. I know it's a huge business, but stuff like this can't be good for business

Skyy God 05-02-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 8588147)
Brain damage.

CTE FTW!

Dante84 05-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8588378)
If, like DJ said, someone were to get killed on the field by some idiot like James Harrison, the NFL is done.

I'm thinking it might be standing on the ledge right now. I know it's a huge business, but stuff like this can't be good for business

Dude, its a billion dollar industry.

It's not going anywhere, even if a dude dies. Get a grip.

Jenson71 05-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588369)
A bunch of retired players offing themselves may never get it done (we have an obsession with football in this country), but if someone ever actually dies on the field or shortly thereafter, the image will be too much for the NFL to recover from IMO.

Most of the country stops smoking cigarettes now. How much could a class action cig case bring?

If the NFL has to fund a multi-billion dollar health care pension, plus pay billions in damages for past torts, they might just fold up.

Donger 05-02-2012 01:13 PM

Is it really shocking that some ex-players of an inherently violent game choose to end their lives violently?

Tribal Warfare 05-02-2012 01:13 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T6GG3VgyqM8

California mayor: Former NFL star Junior Seau dead at 43

Former NFL star Junior Seau, 43, died at his Oceanside, Calif., home Wednesday.

By Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY

"He was a local hero -- he certainly gave back to the community and to the youth through his Junior Seau Foundation," Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood told The North County Times. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Citing a source, the Times reports Seau's body was found by a maid.

Responding to a 911 call, authorities descended on Seau's residence around 12:35 p.m. PT.

In a tragic coincidence, Seau becomes the eighth member of the 1994 San Diego Chargers, who lost Super Bowl XXIX to the 49ers, to die at a young age. The others: Chris Mims, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Lewis Bush, Curtis Whitley, Shawn Lee and Doug Miller.

San Diego native and current Dolphins tailback Reggie Bush tweeted:

"R.I.P Jr. Seau one of the greatest players to play the game! Damn this one hurts San Diego! One of the greatest to to come from the city."

Seau played linebacker for 20 years in the NFL, earning 12 Pro Bowl nods while being named first-team all-pro six times. A USC product, he was drafted fifth overall by the Chargers in 1990 and played for the Bolts during his prime years from 1990-2002.

He joined the Dolphins in 2003 for a three-year hitch in Miami.

After a four-day retirement following the 2005 season -- Seau deemed it a graduation into the next phase of his life at the time -- he reversed course to spend four final seasons (2006-09) with the New England Patriots. He played sparingly the final two years, joining the club at midseason in both cases, but continued on at the behest of coach Bill Belichick, who valued Seau's legendary work ethic and leadership skills.

Jenson71 05-02-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 8588385)

I completely agree with O.city.

O.city 05-02-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 8588385)

It won't matter if someone gets killed on the field.

Ultra Peanut 05-02-2012 01:15 PM

Suicide's not about being selfish, it's about being in so much pain or terror that you literally cannot perceive any other escape than not existing anymore. It's not a decision that's arrived with the full use of one's cognitive abilities. It's brought on by desperation, and trying to rationalize it or trying to hold people suffering from serious mental distress accountable for it is unbelievably dickish (not to mention that it completely misses the point).

Reerun_KC 05-02-2012 01:16 PM

I must be getting old and bitter like Milkman and SkipTowne...

Cause I just do care if some dude offs himself like this...