ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs -- Hey CP - Where exactly are you with regards to Justin Houston? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321310)

Simply Red 02-19-2019 10:19 AM

Dont' know its validity - But...

TambaBerry 02-19-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14113895)

going to miss Houston but it would be the right call

Skyy God 02-19-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Players with big money contracts rarely take less midway through the deal.

I can see Dirty Dan taking a pay cut, tho.

TambaBerry 02-19-2019 10:22 AM

also that pretty much seals the fact that Ford is getting tagged

Rausch 02-19-2019 10:22 AM

My unbiased take would be it makes sense to cut Houston if we want the best possible fit for our new scheme.

My fan preference would be to restructure and keep him. I still think he's a top 15 OLB in this league and when used properly he still has the ability to take over a game.

Rausch 02-19-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 14113902)

I hope not.

He isn't worth his FA value...

Simply Red 02-19-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 14113902)

yip

Skyy God 02-19-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 14113900)
going to miss Houston but it would be the right call

It’s a Pats move.

Age, health, contract, and scheme fit are all issues.

chiefzilla1501 02-19-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

I just don't see the Chiefs not trying to keep Houston. Maybe they're threatening a cut so he'll restructure. Or maybe they demanded a restructure and he refused. Forcing a restructure or bust is the right move... I just hope they're trying to keep him if possible. I'd love to have him at the right price.

Skyy God 02-19-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14113914)
I just don't see the Chiefs not trying to keep Houston. Maybe they're threatening a cut so he'll restructure. Or maybe they demanded a restructure and he refused. Forcing a restructure or bust is the right move... I just hope they're trying to keep him if possible. I'd love to have him at the right price.

They usually refuse, brah.

chiefzilla1501 02-19-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14113901)
Players with big money contracts rarely take less midway through the deal.

I can see Dirty Dan taking a pay cut, tho.

Well... Houston is in a different situation. Berry has leverage because cutting him is a huge cap hit. Houston doesn't have leverage because he knows he's an easy cut. Players won't hand over guaranteed money. But it's not uncommon at all for a player nearing the end of his contract to extend to a much cheaper contract by basically turning base salary into bonus. Houston is a lot more worried right now about his next contract than his current one.

htismaqe 02-19-2019 10:30 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, that 12up article is referencing Nate Taylor's speculation from last week. It's not "new" news nor do I think Taylor ever said they're getting cut, he just said it makes sense to cut them.

That being said, Houston isn't going to take a pay cut. He has all the leverage. The Chiefs, if they want to tag and keep Ford, are going to HAVE to cut him. Berry and Houston don't HAVE to do anything.

htismaqe 02-19-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14113920)
Well... Houston is in a different situation. Berry has leverage because cutting him is a huge cap hit. Houston doesn't have leverage because he knows he's an easy cut. Players won't hand over guaranteed money. But it's not uncommon at all for a player nearing the end of his contract to extend to a much cheaper contract by basically turning base salary into bonus. Houston is a lot more worried right now about his next contract than his current one.

Houston will get more than the Chiefs can afford on day 1 of free agency. His next contract won't be hard to get. He has zero reason to restructure when he could hit free agency by forcing them to cut him.

Rausch 02-19-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14113926)
That being said, Houston isn't going to take a pay cut. He has all the leverage. The Chiefs, if they want to tag and keep Ford, are going to HAVE to cut him. Berry and Houston don't HAVE to do anything.

I don't think Houston makes 18 million next year if he hits the FA market.

He might sign a big contract that he won't ever see most of but no one is paying him 18 million this upcoming season.

He'd probably make more restructuring here...

O.city 02-19-2019 10:34 AM

I’d think he could probably still get 12-14 per year with a team like Green Bay or something