ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

NewChief 11-29-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7211329)
State line and 135th. Bigger Lukas location.

Ahh. Is it that far south? I thought there was something pretty large right there on State Line and 435? It was a really crowded, crappy looking store inside, but it had a pretty damned good selection.

kstater 11-29-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7211332)
Ahh. Is it that far south? I thought there was something pretty large right there on State Line and 435? It was a really crowded, crappy looking store inside, but it had a pretty damned good selection.

Royal liquors at 103rd and St Line?

http://www.royal-liquors.com/jpg/mou...ttsmill3x2.jpg

NewChief 11-29-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7211342)

I think that might have been it.

irishjayhawk 11-29-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7211342)

I was just about to post that.

kstater 11-29-2010 09:21 PM

Never been there. Have to check it out next time I'm up there.

Reaper16 11-29-2010 10:13 PM

Royal is good. Not quite as good as the real Lukas, but darn good. Lee's Summit Gomer's beats 'em all though; best KC beer store in terms of quality.

Some quality big beers stay aging on the shelves of two Northland stores, too: Riverside Red-X and Bubbles. Those are my two mainstay stores. Or were, rather. Sometimes I forget that I don't live in KC anymore.

Reaper16 11-29-2010 10:14 PM

Oh, and irish -- I don't dislike Avery Mephistopheles, but I don't find it to be an "A grade" beer. Too boozy, not nuanced enough. In my experience.

NewChief 11-30-2010 06:21 PM

Shitty day. Got back from the gym and drank my first Tank 7 12oz way too fast. Now I want another, but I want to save them and spread them out.

Days like today are the reason god made cheap, shitty beer (cheap, shitty beer that is currently not in my fridge, sadly.)

NewChief 11-30-2010 06:23 PM

Never had it, but I thought you hop heads would like the review:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/b...essions-133510

This is not a beer for the faint of heart. From the time you open the bottle to the very last sip, it is a full-on hop attack. Suddenly, all those descriptions of hoppy beers as tongue-bruising, eye-popping taste wreckers make a lot more sense.

Beer Details: Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, California. (7.7% ABV, 100+ IBU)
Appearance: This has a nicely clear copper color. Against the light, it practically glows. A loose head of sticky foam tops the glass.
Aroma: This is just wave after wave of hop flower - green, herbal, and resin-y. Trying to see past the hoppy cloud, there’s a perceptible wild honey sweetness.
Taste: This starts off with a quick and unassuming burst of warm honey malts. Which leads right into the hop craziness. We tasted lots of bright grapefruit and citrus flavors upfront, but this dissolves into resinous lemon zest around the edges of the tongue and then into earthy herbal and white pepper flavors in the back of the throat. An astringency like black tea leaves the tongue feeling fuzzy and dry.
For all this, the beer is smooth as all get out and almost creamy. Personally, we would have liked a little more carbonation to add some crispness.
This is one heck of a beer. Beneath the obvious hop flavors, there’s a lot of subtlety going on. It’s a challenging beer to drink. Even as we drank the last dregs, we couldn’t decide whether we actually liked the beer or not. And yet...we also can’t stop thinking about it. More taste-tests will definitely be in order.
Food Pairings: Spicy Mexican food would make a great match for this beer, especially if you love the “tongue-battering” pairing of spice and hops. During the winter months, we’d pair it with a big pot of chile con carne. During warmer months, we’d go for tacos and carnitas.

Reaper16 11-30-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7213834)
Never had it, but I thought you hop heads would like the review:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/b...essions-133510

This is not a beer for the faint of heart. From the time you open the bottle to the very last sip, it is a full-on hop attack. Suddenly, all those descriptions of hoppy beers as tongue-bruising, eye-popping taste wreckers make a lot more sense.

Beer Details: Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, California. (7.7% ABV, 100+ IBU)
Appearance: This has a nicely clear copper color. Against the light, it practically glows. A loose head of sticky foam tops the glass.
Aroma: This is just wave after wave of hop flower - green, herbal, and resin-y. Trying to see past the hoppy cloud, there’s a perceptible wild honey sweetness.
Taste: This starts off with a quick and unassuming burst of warm honey malts. Which leads right into the hop craziness. We tasted lots of bright grapefruit and citrus flavors upfront, but this dissolves into resinous lemon zest around the edges of the tongue and then into earthy herbal and white pepper flavors in the back of the throat. An astringency like black tea leaves the tongue feeling fuzzy and dry.
For all this, the beer is smooth as all get out and almost creamy. Personally, we would have liked a little more carbonation to add some crispness.
This is one heck of a beer. Beneath the obvious hop flavors, there’s a lot of subtlety going on. It’s a challenging beer to drink. Even as we drank the last dregs, we couldn’t decide whether we actually liked the beer or not. And yet...we also can’t stop thinking about it. More taste-tests will definitely be in order.
Food Pairings: Spicy Mexican food would make a great match for this beer, especially if you love the “tongue-battering” pairing of spice and hops. During the winter months, we’d pair it with a big pot of chile con carne. During warmer months, we’d go for tacos and carnitas.

Stone Ruination is as bitter as I am over Mizzou not going to the Cotton Bowl.

HonestChieffan 11-30-2010 06:38 PM

Spent 6 hours working on a new TV cabinet, hot shower and relaxing with some nice Boulevard Stout. Wife says we need to use up some leftovers. Gonna pair some Morretti with whatever I find.

TV better work after all this. Figure 6 more hours tomorrow, then start finishing.

HonestChieffan 11-30-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7213869)
Stone Ruination is as bitter as I am over Mizzou not going to the Cotton Bowl.

Have a beer. Its just not in the cards for Mizzou.

Reaper16 11-30-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7213883)
Have a beer. Its just not in the cards for Mizzou.

Nothing is in the cards for them. Jesus. I'm actually wearing a Mizzou shirt right now. I'm pissed. I'm not drinking a beer, I'm drinking a can of Cheerwine. Stream of consciousness sentences.

Toadkiller 12-01-2010 11:31 AM

Looks like abyss release date is today, I may need to swing by Deschutes and grab a case. I am down to two dissident, they went so damn well with turkey I couldn't help myself.

Saulbadguy 12-01-2010 11:42 AM

Have a Jewbelation 14th anniversary brew along with a Harvest Dance chilling right now.

Dayze 12-01-2010 11:53 AM

tried a few tasty brews over the weekend.

Big Sky Brewery - their IPA (they also make Moose Drool which might be my favorite nut brown); light and spicy; lots of good hop aroma.
http://haveabeer.couchand.com/wp-con...29-big-sky.jpg

Copper Gold (I belive) - golden ale; can't recall the brewery. was pretty good; can't put my finger on it...might have to try it again.

Boxcar Brown - ..forget the brewery name. Not as good as Moose Drool, but still pretty darn tasty. lots of 'roasty' flavor.
http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/43523.jpg

all were outstanding. Big Sky is 2 for 2 with me - excellent brew; going to try their other ale...the one with a Trout on it (can't remember what it's called)

Phobia 12-01-2010 01:02 PM

I finally tried the new Blvd Amber yesterday. Assuming it becomes readily available like the Pale & Wheat, it will probably become my go-to when there is nothing more appetizing available.

Chiefs Rool 12-03-2010 05:09 PM

So I went into the liquor store today with the mindset that I was going to try something I have never had before, which is my new favorite hobby. I find a variety pack of Smuttynose. Which includes Smutty Nose IPA, Shoal's Pale Ale, their brown ale and I'm not sure what the other one is, since it said "brewer's choice" but I'm hoping it's a stout.

What a night! 4 beers I haven't had and from what I hear, Smuttynose is a good brewery. I can't wait to try them out!

the Talking Can 12-03-2010 05:47 PM

just picked up a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout

http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/capstout.jpg

and a fort collins double chocolate stout (just checked beeradvocate and they rated it D+ Avoid....so, we'll see...)

DrRyan 12-03-2010 06:07 PM

Any of you all get a chance to try Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew? I believe it was released in June or July and they are supposedly re-releasing some this fall.

Chiefs Rool 12-03-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 7221742)
Any of you all get a chance to try Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew? I believe it was released in June or July and they are supposedly re-releasing some this fall.

I love me some Dogfish Head, that's some of the best beer I've ever had. I'll def try it out if I see it, though it's kinda hard for me to find around here. I've had the 60 minute IPA, the 90 min and the 120!!! holy crap those are strong, but delicious. I've also had their punkin and India Brown Ale. Love them all, every time I see it I buy it but the liquor stores around here seem to hardly ever have it.

DrRyan 12-03-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool (Post 7221784)
I love me some Dogfish Head, that's some of the best beer I've ever had. I'll def try it out if I see it, though it's kinda hard for me to find around here. I've had the 60 minute IPA, the 90 min and the 120!!! holy crap those are strong, but delicious. I've also had their punkin and India Brown Ale. Love them all, every time I see it I buy it but the liquor stores around here seem to hardly ever have it.

DFH 90 minute is my favorite IPA. I really like their Indian Brown as well. Not a big fan of their Raison D'Etre though. The Palo Santo Marron is a very good beer but takes some acquiring of the taste IMO. I have a friend bring me over a case(maybe two, fingers crossed) of the Russian River Pliny the Elder around Xmas. Who knows, maybe I will have a new favorite IPA? :D

BigChiefFan 12-03-2010 07:20 PM

I used to love the Grolsch dark. I haven't seen it in years, though. That was a great winter beer.

Bwana 12-03-2010 07:24 PM

I have to tell you gents, I do a lot of brewing and buy a lot of micro-brews, but I keep going back to Widmer Drifter, pale ale. "If" they have it in your area, pick up a 6, you won't be disappointed.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhe...rifter_7pk.jpg

Reaper16 12-03-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 7221950)
DFH 90 minute is my favorite IPA. I really like their Indian Brown as well. Not a big fan of their Raison D'Etre though. The Palo Santo Marron is a very good beer but takes some acquiring of the taste IMO. I have a friend bring me over a case(maybe two, fingers crossed) of the Russian River Pliny the Elder around Xmas. Who knows, maybe I will have a new favorite IPA? :D

If 90 Min is your fave double IPA then you may not like Pliny as much. Pliny literally has almost no malt sweetness. It's hops hops hops hops hops all the way, whereas 90 Minute IPA has a shit-ton of malt to it to balance the hops (as East Coast double IPAs tend to have).

DrRyan 12-03-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7222091)
If 90 Min is your fave double IPA then you may not like Pliny as much. Pliny literally has almost no malt sweetness. It's hops hops hops hops hops all the way, whereas 90 Minute IPA has a shit-ton of malt to it to balance the hops (as East Coast double IPAs tend to have).

True, I don't mind high hop IPA's either though. I enjoy Ruination IPA from Stone and Rougue IIPA as well. I have not tired Pliny but have heard many good things about it.

Have you enjoyed both Pliny the Elder and the Younger? Which did you prefer? Main difference between the two beside ABV?

CHENZ A! 12-03-2010 09:17 PM

Had that Tank7 for the first time tonight. Damn. Good. Shit. I recommend.

irishjayhawk 12-03-2010 09:18 PM

Tried BLVD's Long Strange Tripel again. The first time I had it I loathed it. But that was at the beginning of my beer exploration. This time, I enjoyed it very much.

Saulbadguy 12-03-2010 09:47 PM

Just uncorked my first Harvest Dance. Love it.

Chiefs Rool 12-03-2010 10:37 PM

I gotta say, the smuttynose is pretty good. Their IPA is pretty hoppy, but still pleasant. The pale ale is really good as well as their brown ale. The other one was something called Island Ale, it's like a sweet lager, not my fav but easy drinking.

Phobia 12-03-2010 10:45 PM

Picked up a sixer of Avery Old Jubilation last night. The first one was quite good and it paired surprisingly well with some wings during the game. But after 1.5 bottles it started finishing wrong for me and I stopped drinking it. Left the rest for my buddy to drink. Also tried Bell's Christmas Ale last night during a tasting... I might have liked it had I not expected some traditional spices during the experience. But it's incredibly mild. If that's your thing you'd probably like it.

Old Jubilation Ale

Style: English strong ale

Flavor: Hint of hazelnut, with mocha and toffee

Alcohol: 8 percent

Chiefs Rool 12-03-2010 11:03 PM

I gotta say, a year ago today. I was drinkin nothing but natty light, bud light and all of those types. Now, I can't stand that crap. My beer knowledge has expanded greatly and I'm loving it!

Reaper16 12-04-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 7222133)
True, I don't mind high hop IPA's either though. I enjoy Ruination IPA from Stone and Rougue IIPA as well. I have not tired Pliny but have heard many good things about it.

Have you enjoyed both Pliny the Elder and the Younger? Which did you prefer? Main difference between the two beside ABV?

I've never had Younger. It remains a prominent goal in my life to try it though.

Good to hear you like Ruination. That bodes well for you liking Elder. Oh man, PtE. I haven't had one since September. I am JONSING for one.

irishjayhawk 12-04-2010 12:01 PM

Planning on going to pick up a bulk of Reaper's stout list today.

But just saw on facebook that Boulevard is making a chocolate ale. Umm, yes please!

Reaper16 12-04-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7222772)
Planning on going to pick up a bulk of Reaper's stout list today.

But just saw on facebook that Boulevard is making a chocolate ale. Umm, yes please!

Yeah, it's a collaboration with Christopher Elbow. Sounds awesome.

The curious part about it, though? Boulevard has said that Chocolate Ale is NOT, I repeat, NOT a stout or porter. Very interesting as to what style it will actually be (my money is on a Belgian Dubbel).

NewChief 12-04-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7222161)
Tried BLVD's Long Strange Tripel again. The first time I had it I loathed it. But that was at the beginning of my beer exploration. This time, I enjoyed it very much.

I had it last night as well. I liked it, but I didn't find it to be as interesting or awe inspiring as the stout or the farmhouse. That being said, I was drinking it with other people, so I didn't get to drink the whole bottle by myself. I was also distracted because we were talking and socializing.

irishjayhawk 12-04-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7222786)
I had it last night as well. I liked it, but I didn't find it to be as interesting or awe inspiring as the stout or the farmhouse.

Agreed.

irishjayhawk 12-04-2010 05:37 PM

Just got back from the liquor store with:

Avery Samael
Founder's Breakfast Stout (4pk)
Black Albert
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast (didn't have the Weasel and guy said it wouldn't come back out for a long, long time)
Peche Mortel
Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale
Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild Ale
Goose Island Fleur
Schneider Aventinus.

Bowser 12-04-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7223307)

Avery Samael
Black Albert
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast (didn't have the Weasel and guy said it wouldn't come back out for a long, long time)
Peche Mortel
Goose Island Fleur
Schneider Aventinus.

That should hold you for about four hours or so....

The wife requested Double Chocolate Stout for the tailgate tomorrow. Drinking one of those is like drinking a meal. Gluh.

irishjayhawk 12-04-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7223312)
That should hold you for about four hours or so....

The wife requested Double Chocolate Stout for the tailgate tomorrow. Drinking one of those is like drinking a meal. Gluh.

I feel that with some chocolate stouts but Young's just doesn't for some reason. So light.

Reaper16 12-04-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Avery Samael
Black Albert
Peche Mortel
Goose Island Fleur
Schneider Aventinus.

Great, great haul there. Good work.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-04-2010 05:51 PM

Was in a rush and grabbed the wrong beer....a chile beer.

Not a fan

Saulbadguy 12-04-2010 06:00 PM

Southern Tier Mokah tonight. omfg.

irishjayhawk 12-04-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7223314)
Great, great haul there. Good work.

Have you had Rogue's Chipotle Ale?

I almost grabbed one just out of curiosity but was weary. It sounds like it could be a good twist but also a disasterous one. I ended up leaning in the latter direction.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-04-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7223347)
Have you had Rogue's Chipotle Ale?

I almost grabbed one just out of curiosity but was weary. It sounds like it could be a good twist but also a disasterous one. I ended up leaning in the latter direction.

Heh. This is the beer I grabbed instead of the chocolate stout. I'm warming up to it as I drink it, but I wouldn't buy it again. Might be better if I was drinking It with a meal.

kstater 12-04-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Schneider Aventinus.

My all-time favorite here.

ozarkchief 12-04-2010 08:01 PM

Made a nostalgic purchase tonight...Heineken. Drank a lot of this stuff during my college years. Just downed one, and it's not as good as I remember, but I think my taste has evolved to more enjoy more substantive beers. Still, not horrible...I may knock down a few or more of these tonight.

the Talking Can 12-04-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7221687)
just picked up a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout

http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/capstout.jpg

and a fort collins double chocolate stout (just checked beeradvocate and they rated it D+ Avoid....so, we'll see...)

the lagunitas was tasty...not remarkable, but good, happy to have tried it and would drink it again

the fort collins isn't bad as i feared based on the review...just uninteresting and kind of dull, but fine as i already have a buzz...would not buy it again

Bowser 12-04-2010 09:07 PM

Need to make another Flying Saucer run one of these days.

Saulbadguy 12-04-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7223766)
the lagunitas was tasty...not remarkable, but good, happy to have tried it and would drink it again

the fort collins isn't bad as i feared based on the review...just uninteresting and kind of dull, but fine as i already have a buzz...would not but it again

I have a Lagunitas wild sumptin ale (or something like that) in the fridge...and I agree with you about the Ft Collins Double Chocolate Stout...very meh.

Chiefs Rool 12-04-2010 09:49 PM

picked up some Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. It's pretty damn good, bold and pretty in depth. I get a little sweet, toasted grains and hoppyness throughout. Good stuff

the Talking Can 12-04-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Avery Samael
Black Albert
Peche Mortel
Goose Island Fleur
Schneider Aventinus.

dammit, founders is the beer i forget about every time i go the store....

Reaper16 12-04-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7223950)
dammit, founders is the beer i forget about every time i go the store....

Founders is my favorite brewery. They are pretty much consistently amazing across the board.

jspchief 12-04-2010 10:58 PM

OK, minor hijack here.

Based on stuff I've read in several CP beer threads, I've tried some different beers. Near as I can tell, every ale I've tried, I haven't liked. Most recently I got the blvd single wide IPA, and it's just too bitter for my tastes.

I'm not a bud light guy. I do like beer with some flavor. I mostly drink blvd wheat now. Any suggestions for some stuff that's less bitter than an ale?

Reaper16 12-04-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7224195)
OK, minor hijack here.

Based on stuff I've read in several CP beer threads, I've tried some different beers. Near as I can tell, every ale I've tried, I haven't liked. Most recently I got the blvd single wide IPA, and it's just too bitter for my tastes.

I'm not a bud light guy. I do like beer with some flavor. I mostly drink blvd wheat now. Any suggestions for some stuff that's less bitter than an ale?

BLVD wheat is an ale. There is nothing about ale that necessitates bitterness. What is your understanding of "ale?" Are you using it as shorthand for Pale Ales and India Pale Ales?

jspchief 12-04-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7224204)
BLVD wheat is an ale. There is nothing about ale that necessitates bitterness. What is your understanding of "ale?" Are you using it as shorthand for Pale Ales and India Pale Ales?

Hell if I know. /shrug Maybe pales, yea

OK, so single wide IPA was too bitter. like the flavor but the bitterness at the end is too much. Tried several kinds of Sam Adams, found them to be too bitter. I guess maybe it's not about the ale part of it.

Reaper16 12-04-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7224284)

OK, so single wide IPA was too bitter. like the flavor but the bitterness at the end is too much. Tried several kinds of Sam Adams, found them to be too bitter. I guess maybe it's not about the ale part of it.

Bitterness comes from hops. So, you should check out beer styles that don't feature a lot of hop flavor. These styles include, but are not limited to: German Hefewiezens, Any English ales, American porter, Stouts, Belgian styles (Dubbel, Tripel, Quadrupel, blonde).

jspchief 12-05-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7224310)
Bitterness comes from hops. So, you should check out beer styles that don't feature a lot of hop flavor. These styles include, but are not limited to: German Hefewiezens, Any English ales, American porter, Stouts, Belgian styles (Dubbel, Tripel, Quadrupel, blonde).

well I picked up a hefewiezen and something from a local (Ames, Old Main) brewery that's supposed to be mild on hops. We'll see if this gets me anywhere.

Thanks for suggestions.

irishjayhawk 12-05-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 7224284)

I think the bitterness will come with time. I'm in the same boat just not to your extereme. A lot of PA and IPAs are way to hoppy and bitter for me. Slowly I'm realizing that isn't the case, but you just have to give it time.

As for my haul, I had Samael and Aventinus. I think I made a mistake though. I had the Samael first and being as strong as it was it did two things 1) got to me fast on my empty stomach and 2) had such a powerful flavor that I thin it overshadowed Aventinus. I'd heard Aventinus recommended by many here yet having it I thought "meh". There wasn't much special about it.

I think I'm going to have to give it another shot on a fresh(er) palette. Realizing my palette was somewhat compromised I decided not to try any others.

Since I wanted to try my hand at reviewing, I wrote the following on pintley. First time I've even contemplated the 5 aspects. Bear in mind I'm not a wordsmith.

Quote:

Appearance: 3
Taste: 4
Aroma: 2
Texture: 5
Drinkability: 4
Value: 4

After chilling it for a little while, I opened the bottle and took a smell. (Sidenote: I loathe Avery's foil paper because it leaves the tip of the bottle with glue residue and it's a pain to remove.) The aroma leaves me unsettled and a little weary as to whether I'll enjoy it.

Tasting it is another story all together. While not called a stout, it has a little lighter body than one; heavier than your typical ale; lighter than your typical stout. Oak hits you from the first sip on and leaves a little of itself on your lips between sips. It's 16% alcohol level creates a nice bite and makes it worth the money.

Having had Avery's Mephestophlese stout before, I can't say I'd choose Samael over it but it makes a fine companion.

irishjayhawk 12-05-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7224310)

Interesting, I always equated Belgian with hops. Maybe I was conflating that because of coriander often found in Belgian styles.

Reaper16 12-05-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7224775)
As for my haul, I had Samael and Aventinus. I think I made a mistake though. I had the Samael first and being as strong as it was it did two things 1) got to me fast on my empty stomach and 2) had such a powerful flavor that I thin it overshadowed Aventinus. I'd heard Aventinus recommended by many here yet having it I thought "meh". There wasn't much special about it.

Do give Aventinus another shot. There is all sorts of things special about it. I think it is absolutely, without question, one of the finest beers on the planet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7224776)
Interesting, I always equated Belgian with hops. Maybe I was conflating that because of coriander often found in Belgian styles.

Could be the coriander. But coriander should really only be showing through a lot in witbiers and some Tripels.

irishjayhawk 12-05-2010 10:04 PM

Had my first of four Founders' Breakfast Stout. Wonderfully scrumptious. Will drink more.

Reaper16 12-05-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7230751)
Had my first of four Founders' Breakfast Stout. Wonderfully scrumptious. Will drink more.

It's super-fantastic. One of the big reasons why Founders is my favorite brewery.

KCUnited 12-07-2010 07:08 PM

Picked up a BSS Bourbon Barrel Quad. First, it's labeled as #6732 of #11248 bottled and produced. Reminds me of my vinyl collection which will mark their pressings in the same way and even press to different color vinyl for different editions of a particular release, so that was cool too me.

That said, I'm not really digging the brew. I get the hint of bourbon barrel, and I like bourbon, but it tastes extremely sweet, like a syrup too me. My least favorite of the BSS.

Reaper16 12-07-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7237265)
Picked up a BSS Bourbon Barrel Quad. First, it's labeled as #6732 of #11248 bottled and produced. Reminds me of my vinyl collection which will mark their pressings in the same way and even press to different color vinyl for different editions of a particular release, so that was cool too me.

That said, I'm not really digging the brew. I get the hint of bourbon barrel, and I like bourbon, but it tastes extremely sweet, like a syrup too me. My least favorite of the BSS.

You have much experience with Quadrupels before drinking the BBQ?

KCUnited 12-07-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7237313)
You have much experience with Quadrupels before drinking the BBQ?

Admittedly, I don't. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the beer and the different layers of flavor, just maybe not the style for me.

Reaper16 12-07-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7237371)
Admittedly, I don't. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the beer and the different layers of flavor, just maybe not the style for me.

Could be. Quads are definitely sweet; malt sugar levels approaching that of a barelywine but without the hop bitterness to balance it.

You may come around to 'em one day, too. Palates evolve.

irishjayhawk 12-08-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7238120)
Could be. Quads are definitely sweet; malt sugar levels approaching that of a barelywine but without the hop bitterness to balance it.

You may come around to 'em one day, too. Palates evolve.

Truer words never spoken.

I had Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. I should have known it would be hoppy since most of SN's selection is. In this case, it had the same bitterness I usually dislike but it grew on me as I drank the big bottle. It might be my gateway to the Pale Ale side. That and Titan IPA.

Toadkiller 12-08-2010 07:31 PM

Just an FYI, this years Abyss is I think the best one yet, taste is amazing.

Reaper16 12-08-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7240856)
Truer words never spoken.

I had Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. I should have known it would be hoppy since most of SN's selection is. In this case, it had the same bitterness I usually dislike but it grew on me as I drank the big bottle. It might be my gateway to the Pale Ale side. That and Titan IPA.

Yay! Hops!

Some people never grow to like hoppy beers. Everything just registers as "bitterness" to them, and their palate can't grow to taste the nuances (of which IPAs have many. There are upwards of 30 major hop varietals, and they are pretty distinctive to the trained nose/palate).

DeezNutz 12-08-2010 07:43 PM

Aside: Nutcracker Ale is pretty delectable.

Saulbadguy 12-08-2010 07:48 PM

Tonight:

Chimay (white label)
Bridgeport Ebeneezer
Boulder Never Summer Ale

;)

NewChief 12-08-2010 07:57 PM

Smokestack 4 packs have arrived in Arkansas! Little Smokies FTW!

irishjayhawk 12-08-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7240928)
Tonight:

Chimay (white label)
Bridgeport Ebeneezer
Boulder Never Summer Ale

;)

When I worked at a liquor store, I stared at that for a while. Have you had it before?

Saulbadguy 12-08-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7240969)
When I worked at a liquor store, I stared at that for a while. Have you had it before?

Yep - i'm a fan. It's not too complex, but tasty.

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:04 PM

mutha f**kin Piraat FTW

jd1020 12-08-2010 08:04 PM

Zywiec. Just because thats where my family is from.

NewChief 12-08-2010 08:05 PM

So I'll probably by a new smokestack on Friday. At my store, they have Rye on Rye, the Fresh Hop, Double-Wide, Collaboration #1, Double Wit.

Any opinions? So far I've loved the Dark Truth and Tank 7. I was underwhelmed by Long Strange Trippel.

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7240880)
Yay! Hops!

Some people never grow to like hoppy beers. Everything just registers as "bitterness" to them, and their palate can't grow to taste the nuances (of which IPAs have many. There are upwards of 30 major hop varietals, and they are pretty distinctive to the trained nose/palate).

Ahh, the discovery of hops. My wife won a 12 pack of Boulevard Pale Ale (which I didn't really care for much) about 5 years ago in a "closest to the pin" contest at a disc golf tournament. For some reason, on that particular day, I fell in love with the hops.

DrRyan, you better save a Pliny for me!

My good old standard when I want a hoppy fix is Southern Tier Unearthly. Ohhh boy, delicious!

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7240988)
So I'll probably by a new smokestack on Friday. At my store, they have Rye on Rye, the Fresh Hop, Double-Wide, Collaboration #1, Double Wit.

Any opinions? So far I've loved the Dark Truth and Tank 7. I was underwhelmed by Long Strange Trippel.

The Rye on Rye is crazy bitter, but delicious if that's your thing.

I really enjoyed the Harvest Dance Wheat Wine last time I had it.