ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Baby Lee 03-15-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14159490)
Is there something I missed where this sentiment comes from? She's always been pretty bubbly when I've seen her.

Beats me, but it seems everywhere you look in the past few years, there have been a couple new things that are epidemics that apparently infuriate the hell out of people.

1. Men asking women to smile.
2. Wypipo asking to caress black people's hair.

Apparently it happens everywhere all the time and makes the object of the request furious.

Munson 03-15-2019 10:04 AM

Setsuna 03-15-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14157362)
And Captain Marvel trained as a soldier, then for 6 years as some kind of warrior apprentice where she learned how to use a weakened version of her powers. When she does get full control of them there are several scenes where she ****s up trying to aim or use them right. So, if your argument is that she suddenly had her power thrust upon her and could manage them perfectly, you are an idiot or didn't actually watch the movie.

My review of the film is a C, if you were curious. I found it boring, and though the story was worth telling, they did it poorly. CM suffers from the same issue that super man does, namely that they are so ****ing powerful there is literally no reason to doubt they will win every time. Every story with them is a foregone conclusion.

There is too much context before I made that post to explain to you why this post you made in response to mine is asinine and a waste of time. I'm just going to put you on ignore if you are just going to cherry pick posts to attempt to 1up someone. :shake:

Chiefspants 03-16-2019 12:04 AM

Watched it again today.

I'd put it above Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Tom Holland's Spiderman in terms of origin stories.

CoMoChief 03-16-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14162215)
Watched it again today.

I'd put it above Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Tom Holland's Spiderman in terms of origin stories.

Your ability to watch/critique movies needs major improvement then.

I'll give you Thor. MCU could have done a better job w/ his origin movie...luckily Ragnarok made everyone forget about the first 2 movies. (Hopefully MCU can do the same w/ Captain Marvel)

But there's just no way in ****in hell Captain Marvel is a better origin movie than the others mentioned in your post.

Easy 6 03-16-2019 12:01 PM

There are two things I've had just about enough of lately...

1) Comic book heroes

2) Kickass chicks

Chiefspants 03-16-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14162691)

I'll give you Thor. MCU could have done a better job w/ his origin movie...luckily Ragnarok made everyone forget about the first 2 movies. (Hopefully MCU can do the same w/ Captain Marvel)

But there's just no way in ****in hell Captain Marvel is a better origin movie than the others mentioned in your post.

Disagree.

Bowser 03-16-2019 01:05 PM

I just watched the first Thor again a few days ago. I enjoyed it more than I remember I did the first time I watched it. IMO, it's a fine origin story. You can really see how far Chris Hemsworth has come in terms of his own range and how he's developed Thor over the years, and Anthony Hopkins just kills the Odin role. Kenneth Branagh did a great job directing it and setting up the realm of Asgard going forward.

Still haven't seen CM yet (waiting to see it with the kid while she's on spring break), but from everything I've read non-spoliery from you guys on here so far, it's a pretty good to good movie that's worth seeing in the theater. Looking forward to it for no other reason as it will be an appetizer to Endgame next month.

Bowser 03-16-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14162816)
There are two things I've had just about enough of lately...

1) Comic book heroes

2) Kickass chicks

Perspective, Scotty. Don't get caught up in the wash of all the political bullshit surrounding this film (and pretty much everything else these days, really). Take it and the other films coming out for what they are and proceed accordingly!

Easy 6 03-16-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14162915)
Perspective, Scotty. Don't get caught up in the wash of all the political bullshit surrounding this film (and pretty much everything else these days, really). Take it and the other films coming out for what they are and proceed accordingly!

I'm honestly just pretty tired of comic movies at this point, though I did enjoy Glass just because of how M Night approaches things quite differently

As for the gals, my views were formed long before the #metoo stuff, going back to movies like Salt where this skinny woman is just beating the dogshit out of big male mercs etc... I am simply unable to suspend my disbelief

Was watching Joe Rogans show the other day and he was saying the same thing

Sure-Oz 03-16-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Captain Marvel is probably better or equal to Thor imo... entertainment wise those others were better but I love those characters

2112 03-16-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14158505)
Me & my boys talked about that on the way home - what's her "weakness" or is she like a super Superman?

One of her main powers is absorbing energy. In that final battle with the surpeme intelligence she was absorbing power from the ship and everything in it. Her power comes from the tesseract and that thing started really glowing through the lunch box so she was absorbing energy from that.

Here’s her weakness. She can’t maintain her supernova binary form for long periods of time without recharging herself. I can envision Thor recharging her with stormbreaker in a fight.

Kevin Fiege said in an interview that we’ll see her weaknesses in endgame.

underEJ 03-17-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14163214)
As for the gals, my views were formed long before the #metoo stuff, going back to movies like Salt where this skinny woman is just beating the dogshit out of big male mercs etc... I am simply unable to suspend my disbelief

I tend to have this issue too and my ovaries don’t make me any likelier to suspend than men. Have you seen Charleze Theron’s Atomic Blonde? I thought they did that fighting really well and she had to compensate for her physical inequity and each blow she takes punishes her believably. The movie itself is okay, but the ending was disappointing to me, however it is a great example of a role where she isn’t just filling a role that would typically be written for a male star. It is very successful at making her believable as a woman in that circumstance.

The Franchise 03-17-2019 09:08 PM

Saw it today. Thought it wasn’t going to be that great and ended up thinking it was between good and pretty good. Not the best Marvel movie but not the worst. I’m just interested to see how she’s going to be in Endgame.

BigRedChief 03-18-2019 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14162915)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14163214)
I'm honestly just pretty tired of comic movies at this point, though I did enjoy Glass just because of how M Night approaches things quite differently

Was watching Joe Rogans show the other day and he was saying the same thing

I volunteered to have the first girl on my little league baseball team that the league allowed to play with the boys. She was a good pitcher and tough as nails. She had a passion and intestinal fortitude that I wished my other players had. So at least for that part of the movie, I saw an example in real life. The other parts telling her she cant do this or that were totally believable back in that era.

As far as suspending belief.........its a ****ing superhero movie. Suspending belief, laws of physics etc. is essential to just being entertained for a couple of hours.

BigRedChief 03-18-2019 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 14163631)
One of her main powers is absorbing energy. In that final battle with the surpeme intelligence she was absorbing power from the ship and everything in it. Her power comes from the tesseract and that thing started really glowing through the lunch box so she was absorbing energy from that.

Here’s her weakness. She can’t maintain her supernova binary form for long periods of time without recharging herself. I can envision Thor recharging her with stormbreaker in a fight.

Kevin Fiege said in an interview that we’ll see her weaknesses in endgame.

Yeah, something will happen to go back in time and bring back all the superheroes so they can keep making movies.

Captain Marvel will be using the tesseract power in some plot process to defeat Thanos. Some may die that have contracts expiring but most are going to survive.

penguinz 03-18-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Hulk origin story was one of the worst MCU movies.

FAX 03-18-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 14165627)

I agree. Both of them were. The last one with Norton had potential, but the story structure was fragmented and the action sequences played on the screen like a video game. For the most part, critics liked it ... who knows why?

The "superhero fights villain with exact same powers" apex that Marvel has relied upon so often was sad, IMO. Lots of smashing. Acting out. Smashing in. If that's what you like, ok. And damn ... Tim Blake Nelson was miscast (or decided to overact in true Nicolas Cage style ... just 'cause he could). Tyler was ok, I suppose. But Tim Roth was wasted in that role (either give him something solid to work with or find somebody else).

Personally, I think it's a good thing that movies are subjectively experienced. That's why I'm cool with saying that movie was a disappointment for me. Mainly because it had all the potential in the world to be much, much better. That was a movie that reeked of predetermined studio formula.

FAX

Chiefspants 03-18-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I was surprised that was one of the movies that was defended, to be honest. Had that movie come out before Iron Man, Marvel could have been in a lot of trouble.

underEJ 03-18-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14165457)
I volunteered to have the first girl on my little league baseball team that the league allowed to play with the boys. She was a good pitcher and tough as nails. She had a passion and intestinal fortitude that I wished my other players had. So at least for that part of the movie, I saw an example in real life. The other parts telling her she cant do this or that were totally believable back in that era.

Just a fun film industry factoid. The girl who was the first to play little league baseball legally in the US, after being denied for years, is a VFX Producer and very well known to everyone in the industry. Her story may be an inspiration to this part of the film. I don't know for sure that it came up, but she absolutely knows the Marvel people and her story is extremely well known.

Mulliganman 03-18-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14165776)
I agree. Both of them were. The last one with Norton had potential, but the story structure was fragmented and the action sequences played on the screen like a video game. For the most part, critics liked it ... who knows why?

The "superhero fights villain with exact same powers" apex that Marvel has relied upon so often was sad, IMO. Lots of smashing. Acting out. Smashing in. If that's what you like, ok. And damn ... Tim Blake Nelson was miscast (or decided to overact in true Nicolas Cage style ... just 'cause he could). Tyler was ok, I suppose. But Tim Roth was wasted in that role (either give him something solid to work with or find somebody else).

Personally, I think it's a good thing that movies are subjectively experienced. That's why I'm cool with saying that movie was a disappointment for me. Mainly because it had all the potential in the world to be much, much better. That was a movie that reeked of predetermined studio formula.

FAX

I like Ruffalo much better playing the part. It’s too bad we probably won’t get a new stand alone Hulk film with him as the lead.

O.city 03-18-2019 08:41 PM

Saw it tonight with my 5 yo.

I thought it was entertaining and enjoyed it. He liked it as well. I doubt it wins awards but it’s a superhero movie

Rausch 03-19-2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulliganman (Post 14167210)
I like Ruffalo much better playing the part. It’s too bad we probably won’t get a new stand alone Hulk film with him as the lead.

I really wish we could have kept Norton but he ****ed that deal up himself.

Ruffalo has done a better job than I thought he would...

Rausch 03-19-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13743385)
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a blatant Girl Power "Get more females to watch comic book movies" schtick. They're making Ms. Marvel into something she never was, and it feels like they're doing it just for SJW reasons.

They did this 10 years ago in the comix.

She is THE SJW/Feminist Marvel character. It's all she's about in the comix for a decade now.

It would be like hiring David Duke to voice Kermit the Frog and then acting all shocked when he suddenly talks about wanting to lynch all the blue Muppets...

BigCatDaddy 03-19-2019 07:21 AM

I thought it was just ok...nothing I left the theater overly excited about. The character just doesnt seem all that exciting to me. Wonder Woman was significantly better.

O.city 03-19-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 14167664)
I thought it was just ok...nothing I left the theater overly excited about. The character just doesnt seem all that exciting to me. Wonder Woman was significantly better.

I liked them both for sure. I thought Larsen was pretty good but I'd agree that Gadot was a little better.

Seemed like they could have done a little bit more on her time on the other planet. I dunno.

BWillie 03-19-2019 10:02 AM

Grown men watching kids movies. The only comic book film any good is the Batman trilogy.

vailpass 03-19-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14167960)
Grown men watching kids movies. The only comic book film any good is the Batman trilogy.

Oh hell people are enjoying things! Not my gig either but nothing wrong with it. Would be more appealing if she showed her super hero tits.

The Franchise 03-19-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14167960)

You liked the female version of Ghostbusters. Your opinion is ****ing invalid.

O.city 03-19-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14167972)
Oh hell people are enjoying things! Not my gig either but nothing wrong with it. Would be more appealing if she showed her super hero tits.

Maybe it was because she actually laughed and was humorous more than I expected and because she could shoot fireballs out her hands, but I thought she was pretty attractive.

I'm a fan of hers, have been for a while.

The Franchise 03-19-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14168025)
Maybe it was because she actually laughed and was humorous more than I expected and because she could shoot fireballs out her hands, but I thought she was pretty attractive.

I liked her more as the movie went on. That obviously has to do with her being very robotic and controlled when she was Kree and then her turning more human towards the end of the movie.

She wasn't as bad as I thought she would be.

O.city 03-19-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14168042)
I liked her more as the movie went on. That obviously has to do with her being very robotic and controlled when she was Kree and then her turning more human towards the end of the movie.

She wasn't as bad as I thought she would be.

I thought so too.

I was surprised as to how much I actually did enjoy the movie considering what i'd heard going in.

Guess that just goes to show.....I dunno whatever that goes to show.

vailpass 03-19-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14168025)

You enjoyed a movie? Asshole.

O.city 03-19-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14168048)

I know. My fault.

CoMoChief 03-19-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14167981)

ROFL really?

The Franchise 03-19-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14168115)
ROFL really?

From the "What terrible movie do you love?" thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14122702)
Waterworld

The women Ghostbusters (apparently?)

Almost all Nicholas Cage movies

Independence Day 2

For the Love of the Game

Hawk 03-19-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14167972)

Like this:

Image: Not Safe for Work
NSFW Image

Hawk 03-19-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Ha. I did at least like the part when the ghost threw Bill Murray out the window and impaled him. The rest...meh.

BWillie 03-19-2019 05:24 PM

That's awesome I got all of you guys to look up information about what I've said prior about movies.

I'm all up in your domes :)

The Franchise 03-19-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14169171)
That's awesome I got all of you guys to look up information about what I've said prior about movies.

I'm all up in your domes :)

Not really. It was more of a....."this dude just said he liked this bullshit". Then I remembered it when you came into a thread about a superhero movie acting like you're better than everyone else.

You like the newest Ghostbusters. Your opinion is ****ing invalid from here on out.

Sorry 03-19-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14168048)

**** you

Mr. Plow 03-19-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

I've never watched that movie and even I know it's terrible.

O.city 03-19-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 14168846)
Like this:

NSFW Image

Nice cans there .

Damn

BWillie 03-19-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14169185)
Not really. It was more of a....."this dude just said he liked this bullshit". Then I remembered it when you came into a thread about a superhero movie acting like you're better than everyone else.

You like the newest Ghostbusters. Your opinion is ****ing invalid from here on out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't say I was better than anybody else - I just find it comical grown men watching movies like this.

BTW - Wimmenz Ghostbusters is a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. The only reason people don't like it is because they didn't grow up watching Ghostbusters with women. If you hadn't ever seen the first Ghostbusters, you would think it was a reasonable film.

BWillie 03-19-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 14169391)
I've never watched that movie and even I know it's terrible.

Apparently not.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

vailpass 03-19-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Like this:

NSFW Image

And now I'm a fan. Good work as always Hawk. Looks like she got Fappened?

Buehler445 03-19-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Like this:

NSFW Image

Yeah, I saw those. Those are really ****ing good tits. Like really ****ing amazing.

vailpass 03-19-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14169626)
Yeah, I saw those. Those are really ****ing good tits. Like really ****ing amazing.

Yeah the nipple ratio is totally on point.

Fish 03-19-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14169596)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't say I was better than anybody else - I just find it comical grown men watching movies like this.

BTW - Wimmenz Ghostbusters is a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. The only reason people don't like it is because they didn't grow up watching Ghostbusters with women. If you hadn't ever seen the first Ghostbusters, you would think it was a reasonable film.

LMAO... where do you come up with this shit?

BWillie 03-19-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14169730)

I just have an incredible ability to be unbiased.

And get up inside all of your domes.

Baby Lee 03-19-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14169730)

I saw it on the promotional poster

"If you haven't seen the much better original, this one seems . . . reasonable, yeah. . . . that's it. It's a reasonable movie!!" - BWillie, The Village Voice.

Fishpicker 03-19-2019 10:40 PM

why watch reasonable comedy?

Direckshun 03-21-2019 07:42 AM

Well, I've seen the flick, and everything I heard in advance was wrong.

Spoiler!

Good film, had a ton of fun watching it, I think Larson is a bit miscast in the role.

Direckshun 03-21-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14162911)
I just watched the first Thor again a few days ago. I enjoyed it more than I remember I did the first time I watched it. IMO, it's a fine origin story. You can really see how far Chris Hemsworth has come in terms of his own range and how he's developed Thor over the years, and Anthony Hopkins just kills the Odin role. Kenneth Branagh did a great job directing it and setting up the realm of Asgard going forward.

Still haven't seen CM yet (waiting to see it with the kid while she's on spring break), but from everything I've read non-spoliery from you guys on here so far, it's a pretty good to good movie that's worth seeing in the theater. Looking forward to it for no other reason as it will be an appetizer to Endgame next month.

Uhhhhh I totally gush about Thor 1. Thor 1 is dramatically underrated.

It doesn't really have a single adrenaline-pumping action scene, but the writing and the acting is top freaking notch.

Direckshun 03-21-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Why has Marvel fumbled origin stories so consistently? I can't quite figure that out.

(And by "fumbled," I mean they haven't been amazing.)

The only origin stories I have really enjoyed have been Thor's, Iron Man's, and GOTG, and I think it's because all those characters were well-realized and interesting before they became the superheroes.

That's the difference with Strange, Danvers, Bruce Banner, Steve Rogers... they just weren't interesting as characters until the powers came.

Sure-Oz 03-21-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14169600)

It was ok at best... definitely not the Rotten Tomatoes score.

Sure-Oz 03-21-2019 09:05 AM

I think Larson will be better in end game with the russos. She also looks different, maybe more tone?

Chiefspants 03-21-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14171933)
Uhhhhh I totally gush about Thor 1. Thor 1 is dramatically underrated.

It doesn't really have a single adrenaline-pumping action scene, but the writing and the acting is top freaking notch.

I think I like that movies parts vastly more than the sum of them together.

I love Loki, Hiddleston slays the role (Hopkins kills his too, but that's a given). Loki ends up being a stand-out on the screen and becomes one of Marvel's most dynamic characters. But in my opinion Loki's motivations through Thor 1 end up being inconsistent as opposed to dynamic, and his arc, ultimately, doesn't make a whole lot of sense (Marvel fixed this in future movies).

I love Hemsworth. The fish out of water scenes are hilarious in the movie. However, I feel Thor's character building comes at the expense of his "earth" entourage (Jane, Darcy, Selvig) and his "asgard" entourage (Warriors Three + Frigga). The characters around Thor never have a chance to be realized in the movie (or Thor 2, for that matter). It got to the point that all seven of them completely disregarded by the time Thor 3 came around (the problems were exacerbated when they tried to continue that balance and build on all of those characters in Thor 2 while adding even more people).

Ultimately, it felt that Thor 1's plot ended up moving in sometimes non-nonsensical directions in order to serve the characters, rather than the characters motivations coming together to serve the overall plot.

I guess I see it as an episode of SNL. Sure, there are a few sketches I love, but I prefer to see them individually on Youtube rather than watching a full episode. To be honest, it's not a movie I really care to see again. Thor 3 ultimately became a better "origin/soft reboot" of the Thor storyline than Thor 1 ever was, and I've likely seen it as much as Infinity War at this point.

FAX 03-21-2019 11:24 AM

Hiddleston's "Is it?" scene in Thor 1 is freaking scary awesome.

I get chills just thinking about it. What. A. Performance.

I am so happy there is a group of young actors with his range and power that have entire careers before them.

FAX

Chiefspants 03-21-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14172484)
Hiddleston's "Is it?" scene in Thor 1 is freaking scary awesome.

I get chills just thinking about it. What. A. Performance.

I am so happy there is a group of young actors with his range and power that have entire careers before them.

FAX

After the last re-watch of Thor 1 & 2, it occurred to me that Hiddleston may have had a much better understanding of Loki than the writers and directors did. Especially since his performance singlehandedly convinced the marvel bosses to not unceremounously kill him off via a D-level villain. He was the best part of Thor 2, and it’s amazing that he was barely in it in the first draft of the script, but became the center of the reshoots late in the production.

Direckshun 03-21-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14172293)
I think I like that movies parts vastly more than the sum of them together.

I love Loki, Hiddleston slays the role (Hopkins kills his too, but that's a given). Loki ends up being a stand-out on the screen and becomes one of Marvel's most dynamic characters. But Loki's motivations through Thor 1 end up being inconsistent as opposed to dynamic, and his arc, ultimately, doesn't make a whole lot of sense (Marvel fixed this in future movies).

I love Hemsworth. The fish out of water scenes are hilarious in the movie. However, I feel Thor's character building comes at the expense of his "earth" entourage (Jane, Darcy, Selvig) and his "asgard" entourage (Warriors Three + Frigga). The characters around Thor never have a chance to be realized in the movie (or Thor 2, for that matter). It got to the point that all seven of them completely disregarded by the time Thor 3 came around (the problems were exacerbated when they tried to continue that balance and build on all of those characters in Thor 2 while adding even more people).

Ultimately, it felt that Thor 1's plot ended up moving in sometimes non-nonsensical directions in order to serve the characters, rather than the characters motivations coming together to serve the overall plot.

I guess I see it as an episode of SNL. Sure, there are a few sketches I love, but I prefer to see them individually on Youtube rather than watching a full episode. To be honest, it's not a movie I really care to see again. Thor 3 ultimately became a better "origin/soft reboot" of the Thor storyline than Thor 1 ever was, and I've likely seen it as much as Infinity War at this point.

All fair complaints. Really the biggest issue I had with Thor 1 is what you mentioned: the reducing of everyone to one-bit players as Thor and Loki swallow the spotlight.

That's fair.

I disagree some on the inconsistencies, or maybe I'm just better at looking past them since the acting and quality of writing is so brilliant.

I even wrote a thread on this.

Chiefspants 03-21-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14172677)
All fair complaints. Really the biggest issue I had with Thor 1 is what you mentioned: the reducing of everyone to one-bit players as Thor and Loki swallow the spotlight.

That's fair.

I disagree some on the inconsistencies, or maybe I'm just better at looking past them since the acting and quality of writing is so brilliant.

That was an absolutely beautiful thread. I am totally with you on the casting, acting, and characterizations of Thor, Loki and Odin (something that's stayed consistent through the MCU). I suppose I have an easier time watching something like Captain Marvel (which I feel has a more consistent story) than Thor, even though the casting and performances are definitely superior in the latter.

lawrenceRaider 03-25-2019 07:54 AM

Finally saw Captain Marvel. I'd slot it in the middle of the pack for the MCU. Not bad, not great. Some really good bits. Actually thought the girl power they rolled into it, aside from the "smile" think (which I guess I've not encountered and didn't realize it was even a thing), was really well done.

lawrenceRaider 03-25-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14172677)

That's fair.

Now I'm going to have to watch Thor 1 again.

NewChief 03-25-2019 09:16 AM

I also finally got around to seeing this. I thought it was well done and enjoyed it. Definitely not my favorite MCU flick, but it's good. It's sort of a shame that it became such a source of outrage, as I think that really colored the experience for people.

Setsuna 03-25-2019 03:13 PM

My best friend wanted to see it so I saw it with him. Had low expectations for it. It was very good. But it wasn't a memorable movie. Thor comparisons are sound. I liked Thor 1 too and proceeded to forget everything about it an hour after I left the theater. But there was a little black girl and her parents sitting next to us and she seemed like she had a blast, so I think this movie did what Larson intended it to do. That's pretty cool.

Direckshun 03-25-2019 03:24 PM

Yeah the film has a lot more in it if you're a girl or a woman.

Spoiler!

DaFace 03-25-2019 03:31 PM

There was a little girl probably around age 8 wearing a Captain Marvel costume when I went. That was pretty cute.

The Franchise 03-25-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14179682)
There was a little girl probably around age 8 wearing a Captain Marvel costume when I went. That was pretty cute.

My 8 year old daughter is a big Captain Marvel fan now. And it's funny because she generally doesn't like any of the female superheros like Wonder Woman or Black Widow.

Her favorite characters before this movie were Starlord and Rocket.

Direckshun 03-25-2019 03:52 PM

Is it possible we just missed Brie Larson's performance because we don't have two X chromosomes?

I agree with the folks that called it wooden, but women and girls have generally adored it.

I don't know if that's because her gender makes her the easiest superhero for them to identify with, or because maybe there's a lot more womanhood to that performance than we as males can recognize.

DaFace 03-25-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14179720)
Is it possible we just missed Brie Larson's performance because we don't have two X chromosomes?

I agree with the folks that called it wooden, but women and girls have generally adored it.

I don't know if that's because her gender makes her the easiest superhero for them to identify with, or because maybe there's a lot more womanhood to that performance than we as males can recognize.

My wife didn't like the movie at all, though that was more about the script and character development than about Larson's performance. :shrug:

Sorry 03-25-2019 04:31 PM

I stand by it being one of the better origin films. It's Ant-man level.

Mosbonian 03-25-2019 07:00 PM

I must be a horse of a different color because I really liked the movie. Went to see it with some buddies and we pretty much had the theater to ourselves.

Not sure why some give it a "meh " rating but to each their own. I enjoyed it.

Setsuna 03-25-2019 07:13 PM

I think she played the part well. She had this sarcastic personality about her that I can 100% relate to. And she reacted to that biker dude exactly how that type of person would. The movie was hilarious to me. I laughed about every 5 minutes, it was great.

ThaVirus 03-25-2019 07:47 PM

It was entertaining.

I only watched it because I wanted to be prepared for Endgame, but I wasn’t upset having spent money on tickets.

lawrenceRaider 03-26-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14179767)
I stand by it being one of the better origin films. It's Ant-man level.

Nah, a half step below Ant-Man. Though I do need to watch Cap Marvel again to get a better read on it. My son 13, and daughter 9 both really enjoyed it. Will likely buy when available.

FAX 03-26-2019 08:28 AM

I support Marvel's cinematic effortisms.

I have criticisms and it's clear that not all of their movies are spectacularly awesome, but some are. And the totality of their accomplishment is fascinating. So I want them to continue to succeed so they will continue on ... and, hopefully, even improve.

That's basically why I support every single movie they make. Even if I don't love each individual film, I'll contribute my ticket money with a willing heart.

FAX

Sully 03-26-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14180546)
I support Marvel's cinematic effortisms.

I have criticisms and it's clear that not all of their movies are spectacularly awesome, but some are. And the totality of their accomplishment is fascinating. So I want them to continue to succeed so they will continue on ... and, hopefully, even improve.

That's basically why I support every single movie they make. Even if I don't love each individual film, I'll contribute my ticket money with a willing heart.

FAX

Perfect

There have been some dogs in the MCU, but the overall story has been a fantastic achievement that, imo, eclipses anything else ever done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chiefspants 03-26-2019 10:38 AM

My wife and our female roommate loved it. They went in with rock-bottom expectations after seeing the 31% user rating on RT (I didn't really delve into what was driving those scores before we saw it).

I think now we can all agree that a score at that level was pretty ridiculous.

BigCatDaddy 03-26-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14180833)
My wife and our female roommate loved it. They went in with rock-bottom expectations after seeing the 31% user rating on RT (I didn't really delve into what was driving those scores before we saw it).

I think now we can all agree that a score at that level was pretty ridiculous.

Wife and female roommate? Go on...