ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Elway wants to be part of Denver's new ownership team (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341930)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 01-17-2022 07:10 PM

Elway wants to be part of Denver's new ownership team

https://www.nfl.com/news/john-elway-...to-be-involved

Spoiler!

displacedinMN 01-17-2022 07:12 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3ohhwvWRlfw06tcmNq" width="480" height="479" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/cbc-funny-comedy-3ohhwvWRlfw06tcmNq">via GIPHY</a></p>

ClevelandBronco 01-17-2022 07:14 PM

At $4 billion-ish, it’s going to have to be a hell of an ownership team.

Pablo 01-17-2022 07:14 PM

I want this as well. I want him involved in any and everything

PunkinDrublic 01-17-2022 07:18 PM

Does anyone in the Broncos organization have the balls to say no to John Elway?

Red Dawg 01-17-2022 07:19 PM

Why would anyone back him as part owner?

smithandrew051 01-17-2022 07:20 PM

Mahomes will buy it and disband the franchise

notorious 01-17-2022 07:21 PM

Chiefs have 100% ownership of the Broncos already.

Rain Man 01-17-2022 07:23 PM

This is why he's been undermining the Bowlen family. What a scumbag.

He was a mediocre quarterback and he's aspiring to mediocre as a businessperson.

Rain Man 01-17-2022 07:25 PM

I do find this sentence interesting.

"If that's the case, John Elway, the franchise's greatest player and a longtime Broncos executive, would like to be included in Denver's new ownership group."

I wonder who the greatest player and the executive are. The greatest player must be Randy Gradishar, or maybe Karl Mecklenburg.

Rasputin 01-17-2022 07:29 PM

They need to quit letting Elway graze on the field the day before and leave horse shit all over the field. the grounds crew don't even clean it up. What a shitty field to play on.

Chiefspants 01-17-2022 07:30 PM

Word is the Manning bros are trying to get it via another ownership group.

It’s creating quite the drama among the Denver faithful.

TribalElder 01-17-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 16084180)
Word is the Manning bros are trying to get it via another ownership group.

It’s creating quite the drama among the Denver faithful.

hopefully someone buys it and dissolves the franchise

srvy 01-17-2022 07:32 PM

Make it happen, please!!!

crispystl 01-17-2022 07:38 PM

We’ll too bad he’s screwed. The Broncos have been under “new” ownership since 12/31/2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sofa King 01-17-2022 07:43 PM

Do it, then make him GM again.

TomBarndtsTwin 01-17-2022 07:43 PM

I would like to say, for the record, that I too am in favor of John Elway being in the ownership group, preferably as the sole/primary owner.

Any way, shape or form that Mr. Elway can be in charge of the Broncos franchise going forward will be of great benefit to us all . . . . . .

Long live Elway!

Rain Man 01-17-2022 07:49 PM

I'd love to see Manning force him out. That would make me laugh.

TribalElder 01-17-2022 07:56 PM

I hope manning and elway go halvsies on this shitbucket franchise and then they trade all their first round picks for one of these washed up pretend elite QB's

tredadda 01-17-2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 16084156)
Chiefs have 100% ownership of the Broncos already.

LMAO Love that.

carcosa 01-17-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 16084188)

And give up two free wins every year???

eDave 01-17-2022 10:17 PM

Move on from the guy.

DrunkBassGuitar 01-17-2022 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 16084188)

If I had Jeff bezos money I'd buy it and move it to like Quebec or something

Rename it to like the beavers or the frogs lol

TribalElder 01-17-2022 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar (Post 16084721)

The Quebec BeaverFrogs ROFL

eDave 01-17-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Bezo's doesn't have NFL money.

Rain Man 01-17-2022 11:04 PM

Quote:

Maybe you could go with the Nordiques to pay them back for the Colorado Avalanche.

BigRedChief 01-17-2022 11:57 PM

How many people have $4 billion to spend on a team plus have billions left to spend? 10-15 in the USA? How many of those care enough about football?

BlackOp 01-18-2022 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16084164)
This is why he's been undermining the Bowlen family. What a scumbag.

Yep..deliberately sabotaging the very franchise that gave him his fame...to usher in the sale and lower the price.

He is a unethical scumbag...but that franchise deserves everything its getting.

Chiefs landing Mahomes is SUCH Karma payback...it's poetic justice.

TEX 01-18-2022 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 16084675)
Move on from the guy.

But let Elway still draft their QB's.

Rain Man 01-18-2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16084764)
How many people have $4 billion to spend on a team plus have billions left to spend? 10-15 in the USA? How many of those care enough about football?

It looks like there are around 700 billionaires in America. Not all of them will have $4 billion, of course. So maybe 350 or so?

However, I think we're overdue for the next phase of football team ownership, which is corporate. Given the returns on football teams, I would expect that companies like google or Nike or Johnson & Johnson are getting interested in ownership. They can easily afford teams.

rico 01-18-2022 12:45 AM

Broncos being owned by a horse. Makes sense.

BlackOp 01-18-2022 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16084781)
It looks like there are around 700 billionaires in America. Not all of them will have $4 billion, of course. So maybe 350 or so?

However, I think we're overdue for the next phase of football team ownership, which is corporate. Given the returns on football teams, I would expect that companies like google or Nike or Johnson & Johnson are getting interested in ownership. They can easily afford teams.

That is when the NFL officially dies....the Google Giants of NY meet the Amazon Falcons of Georgia.

HemiEd 01-18-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16084141)
I want this as well. I want him involved in any and everything

Exactly, especially drafting the QBs.

R Clark 01-18-2022 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16084764)

Supposedly 32 ? I have my doubts on a few of them

Mile High Mania 01-18-2022 09:44 AM

It will be interesting to see the composition of the various ownership groups... Elway should have some sort of a role going forward, but not leadership. I'm not convinced that Manning needs to carry that role either, hell I can't see him being content in that role and not out there in some media role making a bazillion dollars.

Elway the GM will not tarnish the legacy of Elway the player for me and most fans, with the exception of those that jumped on board in the last dozen years.

The Bowlen kids will regret letting this one slip away, sure they'll make a lot of coin, but they won't get something like this back.

Garcia Bronco 01-18-2022 10:29 AM

There is no Elway or Manning "ownership group". They don't exist. It's media hype.

gblowfish 01-18-2022 10:40 AM

Have another cocktail John...

Mile High Mania 01-18-2022 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 16085098)
There is no Elway or Manning "ownership group". They don't exist. It's media hype.

I think both will be a 'part' of groups bidding... neither has the means to be a big player in a group.

Rain Man 01-18-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16084805)
That is when the NFL officially dies....the Google Giants of NY meet the Amazon Falcons of Georgia.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I have a hard time believing that it won't be a thing. Does the NFL have rules against selling to a corporation? I'm actually kind of curious why it hasn't already happened.

Microsoft just bought Activision for $68 billion. Spending $4 billion on a team would be nothing for them. Heck, Ballmer bought the Seahawks without even putting it on a credit card.

notorious 01-18-2022 12:14 PM

Elways partners have been announced.

Johnnie Walker, Glen Livet, and William Lawson.

Chiefaholic 01-18-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 16084780)
But let Elway still draft their QB's.

It almost seems deliberate so Mr. Ed will always be "The Best Dungver QB Ever". So many opportunities given, yet they flop time and time again.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01-18-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16085307)
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I have a hard time believing that it won't be a thing. Does the NFL have rules against selling to a corporation? I'm actually kind of curious why it hasn't already happened.

Microsoft just bought Activision for $68 billion. Spending $4 billion on a team would be nothing for them. Heck, Ballmer bought the Seahawks without even putting it on a credit card.

Disney owned the Angels from 1996 - 2002 so it isnt unprecedented. .But it's a hard sell to shareholders. You invest in Google or Microsoft for them to do tech related stuff. You want them putting 4 billion into the tech things they do and thrive at, not speculatively invest in totally unrelated industries they would have no core competency in and no experience in, etc. Disney didnt own the Angels for long.

Curé 01-18-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 16084805)

ford motor could buy the broncos. ford broncos.

dodge rams. dodge chargers. both conveniently in the same stadium.

amazon buys the chiefs and uses them to promote their tablet. fire chiefs.

general mills buys the giants and calls them the green giants. boeing buys the jets. boeing jets.

it's the future. it's so bright i gotta wear shades.

Rain Man 01-18-2022 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch (Post 16085400)
Disney owned the Angels from 1996 - 2002 so it isnt unprecedented. .But it's a hard sell to shareholders. You invest in Google or Microsoft for them to do tech related stuff. You want them putting 4 billion into the tech things they do and thrive at, not speculatively invest in totally unrelated industries they would have no core competency in and no experience in, etc. Disney didnt own the Angels for long.

Ah, interesting. I'd forgotten about the Disney thing.

I would kind of view a hockey team as being within Disney's mission, though. They're essentially in the entertainment business, and for a company that has theme parks, movie production, and streaming, I wouldn't view a hockey team as being too far afield. (However, naming the team the Mighty Ducks should have cost them the franchise, but that's a different discussion.)

For the same reason, I guess I could see corporate ownership as being too far afield for some companies where it's completely alien to their core strengths, but not others. If Microsoft just bought a gaming company, how much further down the road is a football team?

Rain Man 01-18-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curé (Post 16085402)
ford motor could buy the broncos. ford broncos.

dodge rams. dodge chargers. both conveniently in the same stadium.

amazon buys the chiefs and uses them to promote their tablet. fire chiefs.

general mills buys the giants and calls them the green giants. boeing buys the jets. boeing jets.

it's the future. it's so bright i gotta wear shades.

Man, you're right. The story writes itself.

Star-kist Dolphins.
Visa Bills.

Would the Catholic Church buy the Saints or the Cardinals?

Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01-18-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16085411)
Ah, interesting. I'd forgotten about the Disney thing.

I would kind of view a hockey team as being within Disney's mission, though. They're essentially in the entertainment business, and for a company that has theme parks, movie production, and streaming, I wouldn't view a hockey team as being too far afield. (However, naming the team the Mighty Ducks should have cost them the franchise, but that's a different discussion.)

For the same reason, I guess I could see corporate ownership as being too far afield for some companies where it's completely alien to their core strengths, but not others. If Microsoft just bought a gaming company, how much further down the road is a football team?

I didn't even realize that Disney owned the Might Ducks around the same time they owned the Angels. Turns out they owned those Mighty Ducks from inception in 1993 until 2005, which was far longer than they held the Angels.

From wiki: Anaheim Sports, Inc., formerly Disney Sports Enterprises, Inc. (DSE), was a fully owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company based in Anaheim, California and created in 1992 as the ownership group for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim professional hockey team.

In December 1996, Disney Sports Enterprises, Inc. was renamed to Anaheim Sports, Inc. for tax purposes and to align with the teams' names.[8] Anaheim Sports teams were then seen as an additional draw for people to visit Disneyland Resort and a key to a potential regional sports channel, ESPN West.

By 1998, the two teams were losing money and the ESPN West channel never got off the ground, which could have justified keeping the teams. The two teams were put up for sale in 1999. From 1995 to 1998, the Angels lost Anaheim on average $16.6 million while only being competitive in three out of five years. While the Ducks were a money maker in the beginning, the team was expected to lose money for its third season.

You're right that Disney would seem to be the ideal company to get (back) into pro sports, being that it's really just the entertainment industry. Anaheim Sports, Inc. rolled up into Disney's parks and resorts operating segment. Seems that they only sold because it wasn't profitable, which might not be the case now in 2022 and in the NFL......

Coming soon: The Denver Mighty Broncos!