ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Is Del Taco any good? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348654)

siberian khatru 05-08-2023 08:38 AM

Is Del Taco any good?

Del Taco has opened in my area, I've only heard of it, never eaten there before.

Is it any good? What's your experience been? What should I order or avoid ordering?

Dunerdr 05-08-2023 08:41 AM

Friends of mine in the OKC area rave about it.

Kiimo 05-08-2023 08:43 AM

I once ate 19 hard shell tacos from Del Taco in a sitting before I decided to get healthy and banned myself from going there.

Those tacos are addictive as hell and so are the tater tots dusted in seasoning

chinaski 05-08-2023 08:46 AM

WAY better than Taco Bell...plus you can get burgers and fries.

They recently discontinued the Spicy Jack Chicken Quesadilla, which IMO was the best thing on the menu there.

Otherwise, yeah it's pretty good. Not a big fast foodie anymore though.

FlaChief58 05-08-2023 08:51 AM

It was much better pre scamdemic. I took my wife to the same one in Texas last year after raving about them, and it was underwhelming to say the least

L.A. Chieffan 05-08-2023 08:53 AM

It can be inconsistent but I think they have the most underrated fries in fast food

KCUnited 05-08-2023 08:54 AM

I went through a Del Taco kick recently and feel its way underrated.

Their regular tacos kind of remind me of Taco Tico back in the day.

Also, their menu is huge.

Things I like:
Habanero crispy chicken taco (fair amount of heat within the context of fast food)
Habanero beer battered crispy fish taco
Original crispy jumbo shrimp taco
Epic combo queso burrito
Grilled chicken & guac stuffed quesadilla taco
Original Del Taco (crunchy)
Combo burrito

The Franchise 05-08-2023 08:55 AM

Yes it's good. Consistently better than Taco Bell.

KCUnited 05-08-2023 08:59 AM

There's a handful of Reddit threads on favorite Del Taco items.

I read through a few before going as their menu is expansive and I'm probably only going to hit it a couple times a year.

I'm good for a bit but definitely enjoyed what I ordered.

lawrenceRaider 05-08-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 16937287)
WAY better than Taco Bell...plus you can get burgers and fries.

They recently discontinued the Spicy Jack Chicken Quesadilla, which IMO was the best thing on the menu there.

Otherwise, yeah it's pretty good. Not a big fast foodie anymore though.

Agreed, much much better than Taco Hell.

loochy 05-08-2023 09:25 AM

:shrug: sure. It's a fast food taco place. :shrug:

Fish 05-08-2023 09:31 AM

Owned by Jack in the Box? And it's actually good?

Rain Man 05-08-2023 09:33 AM

I went to one last year for the first time. I don't remember much about the food, though the service was awful. I had a nice brief conversation with an attractive woman while we were both watching the guys behind the counter wander around aimlessly instead of taking our order. So if you're single it might be a good place to meet women.

Gary Cooper 05-08-2023 09:52 AM

I wish we had Los Pollos Hermanos in KC.

Ocotillo 05-08-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 16937287)

That's a bummer. I didn't know that.

My favorite items were the classic grilled chicken burrito and grilled chicken taco and I typically don't like chicken items from fast food places.

The macho combo burrito was decent. It was a sizable portion that would fill you up.

Ocotillo 05-08-2023 09:59 AM

In the 1990s, a lot of Del Taco locations were converted from Naugles. Del Taco bought Naugles and changed the branding.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WGXtY4IGCaE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oRGoi6y8tjs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IKABF67BLuY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ArrowHeader 05-08-2023 09:59 AM

Yes, it is good. Have found they have fresh toppings, good beef and their hot sauce has a kick. I stick with the tacos and beef burritos. For fast food I rank them behind taco casa and taco Villa but those aren’t in Kansas.

Ocotillo 05-08-2023 10:00 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mgJzEmOioho" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJJasonp 05-08-2023 10:02 AM

It's better than Taco Bell........after a night of boozin'....the Del Taco Tacos with del scorcho sauce is like crack to a junkie.

el borracho 05-08-2023 10:22 AM

Fun game you can play: Invite a friend to Del Taco and order a bag full of whatever. Open the bag and tell your friend to smell. When their face is over the bag and they are inhaling deeply, say the word "butthole." Good times.

Chieftain 05-08-2023 11:32 AM

Decent burritos. Very good fries. For sure an upgrade over Taco Bell. I like their salca packets where you dip your fries into. They give you a decent amount of food so you feel full with an order.

Megatron96 05-08-2023 12:04 PM

Used to walk a couple miles one way back in college to get our DT fix. In particular was a fan of the steak and egg burrito with fries. Extra steak, extra egg, add sour cream. Mmm, good times.

Kiimo 05-08-2023 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaChief58 (Post 16937295)
pre scamdemic

Florida Man checking in

lewdog 05-08-2023 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16937300)

Things I like:
Habanero crispy chicken taco (fair amount of heat within the context of fast food)
Epic combo queso burrito
Combo burrito

I've never tried Del Taco but I do like Senor Taco a few times a year for a quick Mexican grab here.

KCUnited 05-08-2023 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16937648)
I've never tried Del Taco but I do like Senor Taco a few times a year for a quick Mexican grab here.

I've seen Senor Tacos around but unfortunately don't have one near me

At a quick glance, Senor appears to be a step closer to authentic than Del Taco

I'd like to try it

lewdog 05-08-2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16937661)
I've seen Senor Tacos around but unfortunately don't have one near me

At a quick glance, Senor appears to be a step closer to authentic than Del Taco

I'd like to try it

Definitely more authentic like and quick but not exactly fast good. You need to get at it!

Bob Dole 05-08-2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Both of ours had closed a decade ago. They reopened one 3 years ago and the police had to direct traffic at the light 2 blocks away for a month. It was insane. I waited 2 months to go get my deluxe sancho.

Megatron96 05-08-2023 12:53 PM

Nice thing about living in PHX is never having to eat at TB/DT/whatever Mexican fast-food chain joint, ever. Even Filiberto's (and their myriad clones) is a big step up from those places.

Sometimes miss the fries though.

KCUnited 05-08-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 16937702)
Both of ours had closed a decade ago. They reopened one 3 years ago and the police had to direct traffic at the light 2 blocks away for a month. It was insane. I waited 2 months to go get my deluxe sancho.

Recently had the sancho debate with a guy down here in PHX

He didn't believe a sancho was a real thing

When I described it he said "so a big soft taco?" and I was like yep pretty much

seclark 05-08-2023 01:12 PM

Was never lucky enough to dine in one.
Still looking forward to.
sec

Why Not? 05-08-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16937716)
Nice thing about living in PHX is never having to eat at TB/DT/whatever Mexican fast-food chain joint, ever. Even Filiberto's (and their myriad clones) is a big step up from those places.

100%. After living in AZ, I could never again eat at a "traditional" Mexican fast food joint again. On a related note, they opened an Abeldaros (think nicer Filiberto's) like 10 minutes from us a few months ago. I think I've gained ten pounds just from eating there. It rules to have great Mexican food nearby again!

BryanBusby 05-08-2023 01:48 PM

Had Del Taco in a very questionable part of LA at night.

Was worth it.

Fish 05-08-2023 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16937740)
Recently had the sancho debate with a guy down here in PHX

He didn't believe a sancho was a real thing

When I described it he said "so a big soft taco?" and I was like yep pretty much

My Mexican friend laughed his ass off when I told him my Mom used to make Sanchos. Sancho has a very different meaning in Spanish.... :D

KCUnited 05-08-2023 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16937905)
My Mexican friend laughed his ass off when I told him my Mom used to make Sanchos. Sancho has a very different meaning in Spanish.... :D

Haha yep

Rain Man 05-08-2023 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16937864)
Had Del Taco in a very questionable part of LA at night.

Was worth it.

Does that mean the same thing in English as Spanish?

BryanBusby 05-08-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16938003)
Does that mean the same thing in English as Spanish?

Si

Kiimo 05-08-2023 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16937355)
I went to one last year for the first time. I don't remember much about the food, though the service was awful. I had a nice brief conversation with an attractive woman while we were both watching the guys behind the counter wander around aimlessly instead of taking our order. So if you're single it might be a good place to meet women.

What's the point of even mentioning the "service" at a fast food place? All fast food places are degrees of awful but the next Del Taco down the street is a completely different experience.

If you're worried about service go to a restaurant not a place that has a secret menu item called The Stoner Burrito

Abba-Dabba 05-08-2023 04:31 PM

No. Yucko Bell are Ill Taco are equally horrible.

Easy 6 05-08-2023 04:34 PM

Quote:

Things I like:
Epic combo queso burrito
Combo burrito

With options like that I'm kinda pissed we don't have one anywhere near me

Sassy Squatch 05-08-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16937302)
Yes it's good. Consistently better than Taco Bell.

LMAO Damning with faint praise?

KCUnited 05-08-2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16938165)
With options like that I'm kinda pissed we don't have one anywhere near me

Yeah, I'm not trying to substitute it for anything close to authentic, but sometimes you just want a LJS chicken plank slathered in habanero ranch sauce, wrapped in 2 flour tortillas with melted cheese between them and topped with lettuce and tomato.

And that's where Del Taco excels

Easy 6 05-08-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16938176)
Yeah, I'm not trying to substitute it for anything close to authentic, but sometimes you just want a LJS chicken plank slathered in habanero ranch sauce, wrapped in 2 flour tortillas with melted cheese between them.

And that's where Del Taco excels

What about those fish n shrimp tacos, any closer to authentic?

Abba-Dabba 05-08-2023 04:48 PM

Taco Cabana beats them all for fast food.
https://www.tacocabana.com/

FlaChief58 05-08-2023 04:50 PM

Taco bus grouper tacos are awesome. Their street tacos are the stuff dreams are made of

KCUnited 05-08-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16938182)
What about those fish n shrimp tacos, any closer to authentic?

Closer

The beer battered fish tacos are partnered with Sam Adams so fairly legit. Obviously fried and not baja.

Similar with shrimp, I mean its obviously frozen, but its a nice alternative to Taco Bell's menu. It's pretty much LJS meets [insert any fast food taco place].

***my issue with shrimp tacos in general is since they're like nuggets you get like 3 good bites with shrimp and then like 2 bites of straight filler since its not one piece like fish or chicken. Try biting a shrimp in half to make every bite inclusive, its impossible.

Obviously not a Del Taco issue just my own thoughts on shrimp tacos in general.

ToxSocks 05-08-2023 04:54 PM

LMAO @ Sancho.

I should change my username to "Sancho", that'd be awesome.

Haha, my nickname for my wife is "Hyna" and she ****ing hates it. IDC though. It rolls off the tongue and i've been calling her "hyna" for so long now that it might as well just be her first name.

Easy 6 05-08-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16938189)
Closer

The beer battered fish tacos are partnered with Sam Adams so fairly legit. Obviously fried and not baja.

Similar with shrimp, I mean its obviously frozen, but its a nice alternative to Taco Bell's menu. It's pretty much LJS meets [insert any fast food taco place].

***my issue with shrimp tacos in general is since they're like nuggets you get like 3 good bites with shrimp and then like 2 bites of straight filler since its not one piece like fish or chicken. Try biting a shrimp in half to make every bite inclusive, its impossible.

Obviously not a Del Taco issue just my own thoughts on shrimp tacos in general.

Sounds like I'd be happy with it in a pinch, when the local LJS folded theres literally no fast seafood to be had other than your usual fish sammich from the usual suspects

KCUnited 05-08-2023 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16938193)
LMAO @ Sancho.

I should change my username to "Sancho", that'd be awesome.

Haha, my nickname for my wife is "Hyna" and she ****ing hates it. IDC though. It rolls off the tongue and i've been calling her "hyna" for so long now that it might as well just be her first name.

Bro I had this on cassette

Looking back, I had no idea what it meant but thought it sounded good through the 6x9s haha

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oPLGIQTVTqU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ToxSocks 05-08-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16938212)
Bro I had this on cassette

Looking back, I had no idea what it meant but thought it sounded good through the 6x9s haha

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oPLGIQTVTqU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO that shit is G!

Demonpenz 05-08-2023 05:28 PM

Before the pandemic I hate their all the time

493rd 05-08-2023 05:32 PM

I just devoured a triple smash burger I made on my Blackstone

KCUnited 05-08-2023 05:44 PM

Can't have a Del Taco thread without mentioning the original advocate and a man who knows how to appreciate a fast food taco, Simply Red

Seriously, he's been on Del Taco for years on this site xoxo

T-post Tom 05-08-2023 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16938266)
Can't have a Del Taco thread without mentioning the original advocate and a man who knows how to appreciate a fast food taco, Simply Red

COME BACK TO US SIMPLY RED!!!

Chiefshrink 05-08-2023 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 16937282)
I once ate 19 hard shell tacos from Del Taco in a sitting before I decided to get healthy and banned myself from going there.

Those tacos are addictive as hell and so are the tater tots dusted in seasoning

Yep, went there every Tuesday for Taco Tuesday and got 9 tacos for under 5 bucks. Of course that was a few years ago. I'm sure they still have Taco Tuesday.

displacedinMN 05-08-2023 07:47 PM

I did not like it.

PHOG 05-08-2023 07:51 PM

Is Del Taco any good?

Never heard of him.

lcarus 05-08-2023 07:53 PM

Very average.

Also don't try the burger from there. That should go without saying. I had a free one from there and it was disgusting.

Kiimo 05-08-2023 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 16938458)
Never heard of him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HXhPrfPnliQ?start=38" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he's a legend

BWillie 05-08-2023 08:34 PM

I one time painted the inside of a bowl at Del Taco green apple brown

trndobrd 05-08-2023 08:48 PM

Used to hit the Del Taco in Barstow. Decent cheap Mexican food and a facinating slice of humanity to keep me entertained while I ate.

notorious 05-08-2023 08:54 PM

I thought the title said "Del Rancho" for a second.

That place kicks major ass.

Ocotillo 05-08-2023 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 16938534)
Used to hit the Del Taco in Barstow. Decent cheap Mexican food and a facinating slice of humanity to keep me entertained while I ate.

Del Taco is the flagship restaurant of the Inland Empire and its surrounding areas. I'm surprised San Bernardino County or Riverside County hasn't put the Del Taco logo on its official seal.

chinaski 05-08-2023 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16937380)
That's a bummer. I didn't know that.

My favorite items were the classic grilled chicken burrito and grilled chicken taco and I typically don't like chicken items from fast food places.

The macho combo burrito was decent. It was a sizable portion that would fill you up.

Yeah, the chicken items there are pretty tasty. I occasionally get a hankering for their chicken soft tacos. Yup, that's a pretty good burrito!

Bean Burrito with Green Sauce used to be good. The beans there much better than Taco Bell's powdered egg style dog food type beans.

chinaski 05-08-2023 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16938632)
Del Taco is the flagship restaurant of the Inland Empire and its surrounding areas. I'm surprised San Bernardino County or Riverside County hasn't put the Del Taco logo on its official seal.

Apparently there is one in Barstow that is still operated by the founding family and the food is top notch. Google "Barstow Taco" or something like that.

Nickhead 05-09-2023 03:55 AM

How bout ya ****ing pop in...

and check it out yourself, ya ****tard :D

Bearcat 05-09-2023 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 16938266)

Has he ever pooped in one though?