ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy, please let Mahomes be Mahomes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340684)

BigRedChief 11-07-2021 07:28 PM

Andy, please let Mahomes be Mahomes

He’s not a pocket passer. Maybe someday he will be but we are 9 games into the season. Mahomes as a pocket passer this year ain’t happening.

You want to waste a prime year of Hill, Kelce and a cheap salary year of Mahomes, keep trying to make him a pocket passer this year.

He saved your ass and the season by being Mahomes and making the game clinching play.

Please for the love of god, and to save our season, let Mahomes be who is really is…. Mahomes.

Hammock Parties 11-07-2021 07:31 PM

Mahomes was winning from the pocket his 3rd start in the league.

He just needs to figure out what's going on right now with coverages. His timing and reads are off.

FloridaMan88 11-07-2021 07:33 PM

I actually think the reverse needs to happen and Andy needs to hold Mahomes tightly to a scripted gameplan that features quick/short passes and uptempo/no huddle to help him get out of the slump.

It’s no coincidence that the Chiefs offense has looked it’s best the last two games in their first drives with the first 15 scripted plays.

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15941575)

He just needs to figure out what's going on right now with coverages. His timing and reads are off.

It's called making reads, and he isn't doing it.

MahomesMagic 11-07-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15941561)
He’s not a pocket passer. Maybe someday he will be but we are 9 games into the season. Mahomes as a pocket passer this year ain’t happening.

You want to waste a prime year of Hill, Kelce and a cheap salary year of Mahomes, keep trying to make him a pocket passer this year.

He saved your ass and the season by being Mahomes and making the game clinching play.

Please for the love of god, and to save our season, let Mahomes be who is really is…. Mahomes.

The reason why broken plays work and not the pocket plays is not because Mahomes can't throw from the pocket.

Too often the offense is not getting WRs open fast enough.

We need to run more plays with Wrs bunched, close together where space is cleared.

The deep stuff is gone now and the normal RPO plays are gone as well because teams are now keeping their linebackers back, squeezing the RPO passing windows.

We need Reid to bust out his old school West Coast playbook and stop with the spread until we break shell coverage.

BWillie 11-07-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15941561)

I have to agree. I don't know if it is Mahomes just knowing he needs to work on it. Or Reid and Co trying to tell him to stay in the pocket but he isn't a pocket passer right now. He HATES stepping up in the pocket and he drops back so far when he does "stay in the pocket" because he's clearly not comfortable. I don't know if we can run some roll outs or bootlegs or what, but whatever it is with the offense is not working right now.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 07:38 PM

We need to scheme up some bootlegs, and moving pocket plays where Pat is constantly moving. It's where he's most comfortable, and where he makes his biggest plays.

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:39 PM

Some of you are just in flat out denial. Patrick is not a good QB at the moment. He has some good moments but he is missing reads badly and making poor decisions. He chose not to throw to a wide open Kelce today twice and opted to take much higher risk passes that hit the ground.

He has been inaccurate as well. Sure the play calling and dropped passes don't help but he isn't helping himself. We all want Pat to be the Pat that won the Super Bowl but right now, this season, he isn't very good. And that's just the reality of it.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 07:40 PM

https://footballfilmroom.files.wordp...4&h=365&zoom=2

Hey guys, remember this?

Tom Brady was done. Staring down receivers in Arians offense. The Bucs were 7-5, a complete mess, and Brady was declined and overmatched in the needs of his new offense.

All of this is to say that yes, even the best of quarterbacks go through stretches like this. Patrick and Andy are going to figure this out, everything in their history and pedigree suggest they will. For the start we've had to the season, 5-4 seems awfully okay considering the unexpected offensive and defensive problems we've had to start the season.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941598)
Some of you are just in flat out denial. Patrick is not a good QB at the moment. He has some good moments but he is missing reads badly and making poor decisions. He chose not to throw to a wide open Kelce today twice and opted to take much higher risk passes that hit the ground.

He has been inaccurate as well. Sure the play calling and dropped passes don't help but he isn't helping himself. We all want Pat to be the Pat that won the Super Bowl but right now, this season, he isn't very good. And that's just the reality of it.

Explain the euphoria that shitting on Mahomes provides you. Be as detailed as possible, because I'm never going to talk shit on the best player this franchise has ever had, so I will never experience it for myself.

He made the highlight reel play to win the ****ing football game, in case you ****ing missed it.

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941602)
https://footballfilmroom.files.wordp...4&h=365&zoom=2

Hey guys, remember this?

Tom Brady was done. Staring down receivers in Arians offense. The Bucs were 7-5, a complete mess, and Brady was declined and overmatched in the needs of his new offense.

All of this is to say that yes, even the best of quarterbacks go through stretches like this. Patrick and Andy are going to figure this out, everything in their history and pedigree suggest they will. For the start we've had to the season, 5-4 seems awfully okay considering the unexpected offensive and defensive problems we've had to start the season.

Patrick is going to have to learn how to be a QB now. He got away the last 3 seasons playing backyard football. Teams have adjusted defensively. They are not letting guys run deep and forcing Mahomes to make reads and go through his progressions.

If he can't adjust he is done. It's that simple. I think he can do it but he has yet to show it. He keeps trying to make the big play instead of just taking what the defense gives.

ThyKingdomCome15 11-07-2021 07:44 PM

It's a cocktail of little things that haven't gone away. The light will come on. The defense has carried us the last two games. It also Andy not putting our best RB out there and getting to cute on short yardage downs.

Tribal Warfare 11-07-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15941575)

He's not trusting his Tackles hence the bailing, and Orlando pass blocks differently than Fisher which is the reason why looks awkward and uncomfortable. With the right side Niang isn't Schwartz the best RT in the league when he was healthy

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941609)
Explain the euphoria that shitting on Mahomes provides you. Be as detailed as possible, because I'm never going to talk shit on the best player this franchise has ever had, so I will never experience it for myself.

He made the highlight reel play to win the ****ing football game, in case you ****ing missed it.

I am not shitting on Mahomes. I am just calling it as it is. Doesn't mean I like it. I don't like it at all. But if you think Mahomes is or has played good football recently then you are just fooling yourself.

He made a highlight reel pass to win the game in a game the other team gave him every chance to run away with. In other words he was a big factor in why he had to make such a play to win the game.

We should have blown this team out 35-0 or worse and you are happy because he made one play when he absolutely had too.

The Franchise 11-07-2021 07:46 PM

Nobody outside of Kelce and Hill are getting open either.

493rd 11-07-2021 07:46 PM

Why do some get so offended when people criticize Mahomes? He’s playing shitty right now and he’s the first to admit it. Nobody knows what the issue is, but he needs to be better, much better. With his future cap hit he can’t be what he is right now. I think he’ll be better, not sure when.

dallaschiefsfan 11-07-2021 07:47 PM

Mahomes was doing just fine today until Niang went down. Things changed when Wylie went in.

ChiefsCountry 11-07-2021 07:48 PM

Meh. He hits one of those deep balls and everybody is deep throating the offense again.

ThyKingdomCome15 11-07-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 15941621)
Mahomes was doing just fine today until Niang went down. Things changed when Wylie went in.

Niang went down? Oh snap!

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15941622)
Meh. He hits one of those deep balls and everybody is deep throating the offense again.

Yeah well he hasn't hit a deep ball since the Washington game. Hasn't even come close.

Bearcat 11-07-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941602)
Hey guys, remember this?

I don't know how much truth there was to it, but the narrative at the time was the Bucs hadn't completely bought into the offense at that point of the season, and what they did in the SB was basically the final product of protecting Brady with short dump-offs and what not.

And yeah, the only win they could hang their hat on all season was beating the Packers... swept by the Saints and one game was 38-3 (sound familiar?), lost to the Rams, lost to the Chiefs when it was 21-0 in the first quarter.

There is still plenty of time and the AFC in particular looks like a complete shitshow.... as much as I hated the decades of "just get into the playoffs and anything can happen!!!", this is actually a team that could validate that theory.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941598)

If he completes that pass to Hardman the place goes bananas and the beast is back.

Tell me that if Hardman had scored a td there, you would be angrily face rolling your keyboard bitching about passing up a wide open shorter pass. Lmmfao it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If he connects on the deep shot to hill for a what, 95 yard td, same deal.

You may yearn for the days of Alex Smith throwing dumpoffs. Go watch replays of that shit if that's what you want.

petegz28 11-07-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941636)
If he completes that pass to Hardman the place goes bananas and the beast is back.

Tell me that if Hardman had scored a td there, you would be angrily face rolling your keyboard bitching about passing up a wide open shorter pass. Lmmfao it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You may yearn for the days of Alex Smith throwing dumpoffs. Go watch replays of that shit if that's what you want.

IF IF IF.....

dirk digler 11-07-2021 07:53 PM

Was arguing this very point in the other Mahomes thread. I encourage anyone to go to youtube and look at his TD's passes last year. Alot of his "pocket" passes were him drifting 10 yds + back and throwing it. We also did alot of designed roll outs down in the red zone.

Not sure if the coaches or Mahomes himself, the tackles or defenses have adjusted and are playing him that way to take away that part of his game. But being a traditional pocket QB isn't his game.

Bearcat 11-07-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

So, if he played better, people would be saying better things? ;)

I do think a lot of people are looking for shreds of optimism, when a couple of throws at the end of a game has people thinking we're seeing the "old" (you know, 5-8 weeks ago) Mahomes.

Gary Cooper 11-07-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 15941579)
I actually think the reverse needs to happen and Andy needs to hold Mahomes tightly to a scripted gameplan that features quick/short passes and uptempo/no huddle to help him get out of the slump.

It’s no coincidence that the Chiefs offense has looked it’s best the last two games in their first drives with the first 15 scripted plays.

Yeah. Too bad the game is more than a quarter long. After the first 15 plays, they've looked lost.

jerryaldini 11-07-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941613)
If he can't adjust he is done. It's that simple..

Mahomes is done, heard it on CP first.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

He got away the last 3 seasons playing backyard football. Teams have adjusted defensively.

If he can't adjust he is done.

Disagree. People forget the back half of the 2019 season. Patrick absolutely played from the pocket to the point that this board thought Andy made him into Alex. He has absolutely shown he can play this way before.

Also, again --- ALL QB'S GO THROUGH RUTS LIKE THIS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sA9zIufurz0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">These were some ugly, ugly interceptions from Tom Brady. <a href="https://t.co/KpgbjMDubF">pic.twitter.com/KpgbjMDubF</a></p>&mdash; Zack Cox (@ZackCoxNESN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1331091704162754560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tom Brady&#39;s 9 interceptions in 11 games are more than he had all of last season <a href="https://t.co/Al701yUV3u">pic.twitter.com/Al701yUV3u</a></p>&mdash; NFL on CBS �� (@NFLonCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1331090005155061763?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To say that "Patrick needs to learn how to play QB now" is such a stupid statement after what we've seen him accomplish in his first NFL seasons. We've seen him play excellently at the position and to forget all of that after literally the first slump in his career makes me think you need to take a breather, bud.

jd1020 11-07-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Problem is there was only one of those deep balls that had more than a hope and a prayer of being completed.

He's too in love with hitting the deep ball. He got addicted to it to start his career and defenses got tired of it. Now he's looking right through a wide open Kelce to throw 50 yards down field to a double covered Hardman of all receivers.

BryanBusby 11-07-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941636)

If my aunt had a dick, billay would be her bitch.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941639)
IF IF IF.....

Why don't you run along and start "The Official Mahomes won't sniff another Superbowl" thread.

Don't go halfway with your unfathomable stupidity. Go all in.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-07-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941609)

You are in denial. Patrick is missing reads and is having trouble with accuracy. That brings none of us joy. I think he will be fine and we will get on a role but to deny the obvious makes you a homer.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941657)
Why don't you run along and start "The Official Mahomes won't sniff another Superbowl" thread.

Don't go halfway with your unfathomable stupidity. Go all in.

It's not my fault IF's don't count. You can call me all the names you want. Doesn't change how bad Mahomes has played the last few games 1 iota.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15941659)
You are in denial. Patrick is missing reads and is having trouble with accuracy. That brings none of us joy. I think he will be fine and we will get on a role but to deny the obvious makes you a homer.

Hey. Go check out 3rd n 10 at the end of the game.

Come back, tell me what happened, and then go play a game of hide and go **** yourself.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941664)

Come back, tell me what happened, and then go play a game of hide and go **** yourself.

Oh gee, 1 play in a game he should have scored so many points that the last play of the game should not have mattered.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941662)
It's not my fault IF's don't count. You can call me all the names you want. Doesn't change how bad Mahomes has played the last few games 1 iota.

So you'll be starting "The Official Mahomes won't sniff another Superbowl" thread?

The only real purpose you serve here Pete is reverse mojo and comic relief.

So. Proceed.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941669)
So you'll be starting "The Official Mahomes won't sniff another Superbowl" thread?

So. Proceed.

Uh huh......

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941667)
Oh gee, 1 play in a game he should have scored so many points that the last play of the game should not have mattered.

I could be wrong but that was the only play he moved out of the pocket all game. This isn't who he is.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-07-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Hey check this out....

20-37 for 166

GFY

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941667)

Last I checked, one more point than the opponent wins the game. Yep. Still the rule.

This was a win. You're posting like we lost and he didn't rip their souls out at the end.

Run along and prophesise doom, chicken little. It is kinda your thing after all.

Bearcat 11-07-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941669)

So. Proceed.

Oh, is that what it is...

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 15941697)
Hey check this out....

20-37 for 166

GFY

So you prefer big numbers over the W.

Gotcha.

KYS.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 15941696)
I could be wrong but that was the only play he moved out of the pocket all game. This isn't who he is.

No it isn't. And we have seen him move outside the pocket several times the last few games and blah.

Pat's problem is he wants to hit the big play and when it isn't there he panics. Seriously. Had he checked down quickly durning the Bills game we might win.

Same with the Titans. The last 2 games he came out hitting the short game and running the ball then went away from it. Both games started good and went to shit, even though we squeaked out wins.

I forgot who it was, it was one of the national talking heads last week that said Patrick is trying to erase the wonky record and wonky start in one play.

We saw it again today where he insisted on not going to a wide open Kelce for a 1st down and trying to hit the big plays that just led to punts.

Garcia Bronco 11-07-2021 08:14 PM

Cannot play backyard ball forever. Gotta learn for long term career..

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941720)
No it isn't. And we have seen him move outside the pocket several times the last few games and blah.

Pat's problem is he wants to hit the big play and when it isn't there he panics. Seriously. Had he checked down quickly durning the Bills game we might win.

Same with the Titans. The last 2 games he came out hitting the short game and running the ball then went away from it. Both games started good and went to shit, even though we squeaked out wins.

I forgot who it was, it was one of the national talking heads last week that said Patrick is trying to erase the wonky record and wonky start in one play.

We saw it again today where he insisted on not going to a wide open Kelce for a 1st down and trying to hit the big plays that just led to punts.

Coach Pete: NEVER GO FOR THE BIG PLAY, IT MIGHT FALL INCOMPLETE.

IN ALEXIAN PASSING, WE SHALL OVERCOME.

IowaHawkeyeChief 11-07-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941729)

You are clueless. They are taking anything deep away and the few opportunities where we have had receivers open deep Mahomes has missed them. These are the facts. We love Mahomes, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but realize he is in a funk. The last drive was great, I hope we see more of that going forward.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941719)
So you prefer big numbers over the W.

Gotcha.

KYS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 15941729)

http://glassalmanac.com/wp-content/u...son-glass1.png

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941720)

I don't remember him getting out of the pocket except on the last play but the box score says he had 2 rushes for -2 yds. Don't remember any of that. He didn't run like he normally does though.

No doubt he gets inpatient and wants the big plays. That is who he is though and you don't want to stop that aggressive mindset, just need it tamed. Just like him staying in the pocket like Brady isn't who he is either.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 15941728)

This forum forgets that many posters were very concerned at the end of 2019 because Patrick’s outside the pocket passing had fallen to league average and despite us ending the year on a winning streak, Mahomes looked very “Alex Smithian.” I’m guessing people have forgotten this because of the super heroic things Mahomes did to win against the Texans (though he largely beat the Titans and 49ers from the pocket).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-skills-have/

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative and roll with it.

He’s going through a bad slump. Similar to what all QB’s have done before, elite ones too, and I’m sure Elway did as well.

-King- 11-07-2021 08:22 PM

Saying a QB can't be good as a pocket passer isn't a good thing guys.

The fact that you guys are throwing it out there as a defense for Mahomes is mind blowing.

I'd rather think he's in a slump than think he's limited or basically needs a specific playing style to be even mediocre.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 15941738)
I don't remember him getting out of the pocket except on the last play but the box score says he had 2 rushes for -2 yds. Don't remember any of that. He didn't run like he normally does though.

No doubt he gets inpatient and wants the big plays. That is who he is though and you don't want to stop that aggressive mindset, just need it tamed. Just like him staying in the pocket like Brady isn't who he is either.

We have scored 36 points in the last 3 games......but there is nothing wrong with Mahomes....

tk13 11-07-2021 08:24 PM

To be fair, they made some attempts at big plays today. Mahomes had Tyreek deep on that one drive where they started deep in their end. It should have been a 90 yard TD. Just overthrew him. Teams are playing much safer defense, as we all know... but the Packers took some chances today and we had openings. Offense just didn't hit them.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15941748)
To be fair, they made some attempts at big plays today. Mahomes had Tyreek deep on that one drive where they started deep in their end. It should have been a 90 yard TD. Just overthrew him. Teams are playing much safer defense, as we all know... but the Packers took some chances today and we had openings. Offense just didn't hit them.

Since the deep play to DRob against Washington, has he been even close on a deep play since then?

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941745)
We have scored 36 points in the last 3 games......but there is nothing wrong with Mahomes....

Believe it or not, there is a lot of middle ground between “Nothing is wrong with Mahomes” and “Mahomes needs to learn how to play as an NFL QB.”

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15941744)

The fact that you guys are throwing it out there as a defense for Mahomes is mind blowing.

I'd rather think he's in a slump than think he's limited or basically needs a specific playing style to be even mediocre.

I am not saying that at all. We need a mix. That is when he is lethal..

Garcia Bronco 11-07-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941740)
This forum forgets that many posters were very concerned at the end of 2019 because Patrick’s outside the pocket passing had fallen to league average and despite us ending the year on a winning streak, Mahomes looked very “Alex Smithian.” I’m guessing people have forgotten this because of the super heroic things Mahomes did to win against the Texans (though he largely beat the Titans and 49ers from the pocket).

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative and roll with it.

He’s going through a bad slump. Similar to what all QB’s have done before, elite ones too, and I’m sure Elway did as well.

He's missing reads, not throwing from a solid platform, he's lost some talent among his peers, he's making bad decisions. It's all fixable stuff. He just needs to adjust.

Bearcat 11-07-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941740)

He’s won as a “pocket QB” before. Hell, he won the Super Bowl as a pocket QB. People just latch onto a narrative.

Yep... at best, it's an exaggerated narrative, like he was a complete gunslinger/scrambler before... and at worst, it's just dumb.

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941745)

Where in my post do I say nothing is wrong? Obviously something is wrong and we don't have any answers.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15941757)
Believe it or not, there is a lot of middle ground between “Nothing is wrong with Mahomes” and “Mahomes needs to learn how to play as an NFL QB.”

Well we are going to see if Mahomes is a legit NFL QB or a flash in the pan gimmick.

I would think the former but if he can't make the adjustment then it is not good.

RaidersOftheCellar 11-07-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Patrick is going to have to learn how to be a QB now. He got away the last 3 seasons playing backyard football. Teams have adjusted defensively. They are not letting guys run deep and forcing Mahomes to make reads and go through his progressions.

If he can't adjust he is done. It's that simple. I think he can do it but he has yet to show it. He keeps trying to make the big play instead of just taking what the defense gives.

Hasn’t shown he can do it? Didn’t he show it for the first month of the season? They were moving the ball exceptionally well with very few big plays.

The narrative may have been a lot different today if not for two dropped passes on third down and Hill’s slip.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 15941759)
He's missing reads, not throwing from a solid platform, he's lost some talent among his peers, he's making bad decisions. It's all fixable stuff. He just needs to adjust.

All of that I agree with. He did all of those things from the pocket and did so at an exceptional level to lead us to HFA in our Super Bowl winning year — which is why I’m going to push back so hard against the narrative that he “only knows how to play backyard football.”

He’s in a rut, a bad one, but to rewrite his history as an NFL QB as a Chiefs fan is stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941766)
Well we are going to see if Mahomes is a legit NFL QB or a flash in the pan gimmick.

Like this. Easily one of the top 3 worst posts I’ve read on this website.

KC_Connection 11-07-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

I don’t call being able to make plays like the one that iced the game “limited” myself.

Bl00dyBizkitz 11-07-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

I'll concede he made a few great throws, including the game winning one. But outside of those, he was inaccurate all game and out of sync with his recievers.

I think he'll be fine and figure it all out, he's allowed to have a slump, but its literally fact that he's been struggling the last few weeks. I dont see how you can say otherwise.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 15941763)
Where in my post do I say nothing is wrong? Obviously something is wrong and we don't have any answers.

Actually we do have an answer an it's a rather simple one. Take what the defense gives you. For example, today the defense gave us Kelce wide open for 1st downs twice and Mahomes chose not to take it.

Now some of that goes on Andy as teams continue to invite him to run the ball consistently and he consistently refuses to do it.

BigRedChief 11-07-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

I’m not saying ever. He will in time be a great pocket passer. Just not going to be this year. I’d rather this not be a lost season and a “learning” year.

KC_Connection 11-07-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

I would think the former but if he can't make the adjustment then it is not good.

Other fanbases are laughing hard at posts like this.

TEX 11-07-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 15941728)

Why not?

TLO 11-07-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15941777)

Yes they are

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Which fan bases would that be?

Denver?
Las Vegas?
Los Angeles?
Buffalo?
Baltimore?

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

I will say this...we have Patrick Mahomes and are in last place...

other fanbases sure as **** are laughing at us.....

dirk digler 11-07-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941773)
Actually we do have an answer an it's a rather simple one. Take what the defense gives you. For example, today the defense gave us Kelce wide open for 1st downs twice and Mahomes chose not to take it.

Now some of that goes on Andy as teams continue to invite him to run the ball consistently and he consistently refuses to do it.

For the most part he has been doing that but he has been really inaccurate this year. Not sure what the cause of that is. I am wondering if he just feels more comfortable dropping so far back but can't do that because Brown can't block that. Also obviously the turnovers have had a huge impact on his psyche.

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 15941796)
For the most part he has been doing that but he has been really inaccurate this year. Not sure what the cause of that is. I am wondering if he just feels more comfortable dropping so far back but can't do that because Brown can't block that. Also obviously the turnovers have had a huge impact on his psyche.

Look it, today was a breakout game for the team overall in the way of they were winning, losing, winning, losing. For the first time this season we won 2 games in a row.

It has not been pretty. Today was the first game I think we had all season with 0 turnovers.

So if we are to look at silver linings it's we won 2 in a row. Our defense held up 2 games in a roe and we didn't turn the ball over at all for the first time this season.

Mahomes and the offense still played like shit but hopefully that's the next show to drop in the form of a turnaround.

Mama Hip Rockets 11-07-2021 08:43 PM

Yes. Very Damon Huard-ish playcalling today.

BigRedChief 11-07-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

If he can't adjust he is done. It's that simple.

ahhh for **** sakes Pete.

Chiefspants 11-07-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 15941806)
Look it, today was a breakout game for the team overall in the way of they were winning, losing, winning, losing. For the first time this season we won 2 games in a row.

It has not been pretty. Today was the first game I think we had all season with 0 turnovers.

So if we are to look at silver linings it's we won 2 in a row. Our defense held up 2 games in a row and we didn't turn the ball over at all for the first time this season.

Mahomes and the offense still played like shit but hopefully that's the next show to drop in the form of a turnaround.

As someone who has staunchly disagreed with you this entire thread this is a good post.

Chiefnj2 11-07-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 15941778)
Why not?

Have you seen the hits he’s taken? Injuries he’s already suffered in his young career?

chiefzilla1501 11-07-2021 08:45 PM

Actually the opposite. Acknowledge that what we've done in the past doesn't work. When your qb struggles, let your RB do some work and work the clock. Make damn adjustments, and that especially includes trying gore and Gordon out and stop punishing Gordon for every mistake while mecole makes 3. Can't for the life of me understand the logic of leaning into the same strategies that keep on failing us. We keep waiting for that Reid adjustment, but can anyone see any way that we've adjusted? We seem to be stubbornly clinging to the offensive approach thats no longer been successful.

Sassy Squatch 11-07-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

https://i.imgflip.com/eo62r.jpg

petegz28 11-07-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets (Post 15941808)
Yes. Very Damon Huard-ish playcalling today.

I don't get the play calling. It's like we have Patrick Mahomes so we MUST be a passing team. That's stupid. Teams are playing 6 in the box against us regularly and we are running the ball overall very well.

We run the ball for 8 yards and Andy won't call another running play for another 3 punts.

And some of the play calls like on the 4th and 1 where we lost yards I just don't get. Andy has always had this thing with trying to trick or outguess the other team instead of just lining up and knocking the guy in front of you on his ass. Which is what you do on 4th an 1.

Wallcrawler 11-07-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh God.

You really are a first ballot hall of fame dumbass.