ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Scotty has "beamed up." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119868)

Frankie 07-20-2005 10:10 AM

Scotty has "beamed up."

RIP James Doohan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/...tv/obit_doohan

ptlyon 07-20-2005 10:14 AM

Apparently the crystals couldn't take much more

Calcountry 07-20-2005 10:15 AM

She blew up Captain.

Calcountry 07-20-2005 10:17 AM

That leaves Captain Kirk, Spock and Ohura as the surviving senior bridge crew.

I think Sulu and Ch3kov have a few years to go.

chagrin 07-20-2005 10:21 AM

D-Day veteran, lots of integrity

TEX 07-20-2005 10:22 AM

I loved the show as a kid ans still do. RIP Scotty.

Frankie 07-20-2005 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
That leaves Captain Kirk, Spock and Ohura as the surviving senior bridge crew.

I think Sulu and Ch3kov have a few years to go.

Not to be morbid. But I think we should have a poll for predictions of who among the surviving cast is next to "go where no man has gone (and returned from) before."

beavis 07-20-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie
Not to be morbid. But I think we should have a poll for predictions of who among the surviving cast is next to "go where no man has gone (and returned from) before."

You're an idiot.

Dartgod 07-20-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
D-Day veteran, lots of integrity

And a great lover of pie...

Brando 07-20-2005 10:35 AM

He was a petter of dogs.

oldandslow 07-20-2005 10:44 AM

Loved the show...

RIP Scotty :(

Frazod 07-20-2005 10:49 AM

That sucks. RIP James. :(

Frankie 07-20-2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
You're an idiot.

You keep proving your username.
:shake:

Braincase 07-20-2005 11:12 AM

I was fortunate enough to meet the man in Wichita in '98. And absolutely charming man, who adored his fans perhaps even more than we adored him. He inspired many young people to pursue a career in engineering, and I would ask those of you who really want to get an idea of what Jimmy was all about (he asked people to call him "Jimmy" - very informal, very cool) to check out the documentary "Trekkies". He isn't in there very much, but his story about talking to a young suicidal woman is one of the most beautiful and endearing tales you'll ever hear coming out of Hollywood.

Thanks, Jimmy. The world is a better place because of you.

Hammock Parties 07-20-2005 11:29 AM

Hello computer!

http://www.entertainmentopia.com/scr...scotty_mac.jpg

Frankie 07-20-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs

That's my absolute favorite scene in the whole series. ROFL :thumb:

Hammock Parties 07-20-2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

That's my absolute favorite scene in the whole series. ROFL :thumb:

Scotty has alot of funny scenes in the movies. I also like the scene in Star Trek III where he's just come back from pulling key components out of the Excelsior's transwarp drive. He's leaving the ship via turbolift:

"LEVEL PLEASE"

"Transporter room"

"THANKYOU"

"Up your shaft."

Calcountry 07-20-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Jesus did.

gblowfish 07-20-2005 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RIP Scotty.

MOhillbilly 07-20-2005 01:19 PM

Did he ever kickass?

go bo 07-20-2005 01:21 PM

r.i.p. to a wonderful man and a terrific actor (even though he only had the one role, he gave it a life of its own)...

when start trek first aired, it was close to the best t.v. there was in those days...

Braincase 07-20-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
Did he ever kickass?

Every convention he went to. Best cast member EVAR.

Frankie 07-20-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
Jesus did.

He was well connected.
:)

SoCalBronco 07-20-2005 01:46 PM

Thanks for that pic, Bob. That was my favorite scene as well.

SoCalBronco 07-20-2005 01:47 PM

Just use the keyboard.

The keyboard...how quaint.

whoman69 07-20-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase
Every convention he went to. Best cast member EVAR.

I saw him in Irving Texas back in the early 90's. He was wowing everyone with the range of accents he can do and the stories he told. He got to be known in his later years for his running feud with William Shatner. Shatner was found to have been going to the producers/directors and getting scenes cut out that did not include the big 3 Kirk/Spock/Bones and would also throw scenes when he did not get his way. Shatner is a class one jerk that everyone else has badmouthed in their own books.

SoCalBronco 07-20-2005 03:43 PM

yep, thats true whoman.

Pretty much everyone on the set outside of Nimoy and Kelley hated Shatner. Nichols didnt like him because he had earlier leaked it out that she was having an affair with Roddenberry. And George Takei hated him too.

Calcountry 07-20-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco
yep, thats true whoman.

Pretty much everyone on the set outside of Nimoy and Kelley hated Shatner. Nichols didnt like him because he had earlier leaked it out that she was having an affair with Roddenberry. And George Takei hated him too.

I think Roddenberry was into kinky sex. He always had his wife, Nurse Chapel, in love with Aliens like Spock.

Later in TNG, she was Luxuana Troi, and she was hot for everything that moved.

WilliamTheIrish 07-20-2005 06:01 PM

Took six hits on D-Day? I never knew that about the man.

Incredible.

mikey23545 07-20-2005 06:22 PM

RIP, Scotty...

And another beloved piece of my childhood goes to warp speed....

Frankie 10-15-2005 01:34 PM

Just upping this thread for this. Apparently Scotty is on his way to where no man has gone before:
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...450931,00.html

SCOTTY TO BE BEAMED UP
Former Star Trek actor James Doohan is to be granted his final wish - his ashes will be blasted into space on December 6.

The actor, who played the starship Enterprise's chief engineer Scotty, died in July at the age of 85.

His cremated remains will join those of more than 120 other people who will be blasted into space by commercial space flight operator Space Services Inc.

Also on board will be the ashes of an as yet unidentified astronaut and Mareta West, the astrogeologist who determined the site for the first spacecraft landing on the moon.

Doohan's cremated remains will be packed into a special tube which will be ejected from the rocket and is expected to orbit Earth for between 50 and 200 years before plunging into the planet's atmosphere and burning up.

Fans can post tributes to Doohan at www.spaceservicesinc.com, and digital versions of the messages will be blasted off with him.

Doohan's family will hold a service for fans on a site near Vandenberg Air Force Base north of Los Angeles on the day of the launch to pay tribute to him.

"I can't think of a more fitting send-off than having some of his fans attend this, his final journey," his widow, Wende Doohan, said in an open invitation to the service.

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry also had his remains shot into space after his death in 1991. They returned to Earth in 2002.

Doohan became identified with the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" in reference to the constant requests for him to bring people back on board the Enterprise.

The phrase was never actually uttered on the cult show.

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1316604.jpghttp://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1316597.jpg

Eleazar 10-15-2005 01:36 PM

haha. Commatard's filter munched your link.

Frankie 10-15-2005 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
haha. Commatard's filter munched your link.

Try my post now.

Amnorix 10-16-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69
I saw him in Irving Texas back in the early 90's. He was wowing everyone with the range of accents he can do and the stories he told. He got to be known in his later years for his running feud with William Shatner. Shatner was found to have been going to the producers/directors and getting scenes cut out that did not include the big 3 Kirk/Spock/Bones and would also throw scenes when he did not get his way. Shatner is a class one jerk that everyone else has badmouthed in their own books.

I grew up loving Star Trek, and idolized its actors. I later learned that Shatner is not just a mediocre acre, but a world class A-hole.

I knew someone who was a distant cousin of his, and had met him many times at large family gatherings. He described Shatner as an unbelievable pompous A-hole whom the entire family hated. The person I knew was a very successful individual, and it's hard to figure that it would be jealousy talking.

Everything I've heard about Scotty and Bones has been uniformly and unbelievably positive. I've heard nothing negative about Nimoy, and I've heard nothing good about Shatner, in terms of their personal lives...

Amnorix 10-16-2005 08:39 AM

RIP Jimmy Doohan. You took a minor character and made him yours in a way that was incredibly interesting and fun for generations of fans. Your talent at accents was incredible. Thank you for many years of entertainment.

Ultra Peanut 10-16-2005 09:06 AM

He got me 90 points in a dead pool.

mikey23545 10-16-2005 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
I grew up loving Star Trek, and idolized its actors. I later learned that Shatner is not just a mediocre acre, but a world class A-hole.

I knew someone who was a distant cousin of his, and had met him many times at large family gatherings. He described Shatner as an unbelievable pompous A-hole whom the entire family hated. The person I knew was a very successful individual, and it's hard to figure that it would be jealousy talking.

Everything I've heard about Scotty and Bones has been uniformly and unbelievably positive. I've heard nothing negative about Nimoy, and I've heard nothing good about Shatner, in terms of their personal lives...

I guess what you say about Shatner is probably true - stories about him come from too many different sources not to have some fact to them - but I don't want to hear them...

Captain Kirk was a hero to this youngster while he was growing up, and I guess I just want to go on viewing him, as well as all the other characters of Star Trek, and the actors who portrayed them in an idyllic way....

God knows we live in an age that loves to tear down heroes...Why are so many nowadays afraid to hold someone or something above themselves?...

Sorry...end of ramble...

SoCalBronco 10-16-2005 11:39 AM

Yeah, ive heard bad things about Shatner as well. The only person he got along with on the entire set was Nimoy. Im not sure where this mediocre actor thing comes in, I thought he was great as Captain Kirk and he has been successful in other roles as well, most notably Boston Legal now. He did throw a huge hissy fit though when Paramount got super cheap in their production of Star Trek V and basically forced him to change the script of the entire movie. He was always felt that they got cheap only because he was producing the film.