ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football KC Super Bowl hosting bid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277208)

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 02:36 PM

KC Super Bowl hosting bid?

Have I missed something the last few years or has KC not put in a bid to host a Super Bowl? With the NFL allowing cold weather games every now and then and the newly renovated stadium is there even the slightest chance they would be granted the big game? Would it be more contingent on us winning a few playoff games or a Super Bowl before be taken seriously?

CaliforniaChief 10-08-2013 02:37 PM

KC isn't New York. Without a roof, it will never happen.

Skyy God 10-08-2013 02:38 PM

Our hosting a SB would go about as well as Jacksonville. So no.

Predarat 10-08-2013 02:39 PM

They have a rule that since the Royals hosted the All Star game last summer, the same city cannot host a Super Bowl until 10 years have passed. They have not started bidding that far ahead yet, but there is a chance KC could be in the mix.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10064203)
Our hosting a SB would go about as well as Jacksonville. So no.

Why exactly? The All Star Game seemed to go well.
I can see Green Bay not getting it just because of sheer size of stadium, NY is NY but I think KC would put on one hell of a Super Bowl week.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10064204)
They have a rule that since the Royals hosted the All Star game last summer, the same city cannot host a Super Bowl until 10 years have passed. They have not started bidding that far ahead yet, but there is a chance KC could be in the mix.

How is that true? Didnt NY host the All Star game the year they built their new stadium? That hasnt been ten years.

Predarat 10-08-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064212)
How is that true? Didnt NY host the All Star game the year they built their new stadium? That hasnt been ten years.

That rule does not apply for Metropolitan Area populations over 3.5 million.

ChiefsCountry 10-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10064219)
That rule does not apply for Metropolitan Area populations over 3.5 million.

Your city Nashville would be a hell of a spot for a Super Bowl. Shame the weather is too similar to KC's though.

Scorp 10-08-2013 02:48 PM

I think our stadium not being in a downtown location is the thing hindering us the most from getting a shot at hosting.

vailpass 10-08-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 10064234)
I think our stadium not being in a downtown location is the thing hindering us the most from getting a shot at hosting.

Phoenix gets SBs even though the stadium is in bfe.
It's all about having a suitable metro area, weather (not this year, and facilities. Being a destination location.

Dayze 10-08-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10064198)
KC isn't New York. Without a roof, it will never happen.

this

Brock 10-08-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

First I've heard of this.

BlackHelicopters 10-08-2013 03:01 PM

KC will never host a SB.

Predarat 10-08-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10064229)
Your city Nashville would be a hell of a spot for a Super Bowl. Shame the weather is too similar to KC's though.

Thanks, and not enough hotels. They are adding more but if Nashville ever gets a domed stadium then there is a chance if they keep building more hotels.

listopencil 10-08-2013 03:05 PM

February in KC? What's that like? I'm picturing:

http://www.funnysigns.net/files/hell...er-400x221.jpg

ChiefsCountry 10-08-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10064277)
Thanks, and not enough hotels. They are adding more but if Nashville ever gets a domed stadium then there is a chance if they keep building more hotels.

Last numbers I had seen Nashville had around 36k hotel rooms, KC I think was 26k and Indy was 20k I believe.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10064284)
February in KC? What's that like? I'm picturing:

http://www.funnysigns.net/files/hell...er-400x221.jpg

And the way football should be played time to time. Domes are for sissys. Every NFL city should get a Super Bowl before a city gets two. The NFL cash cow needs to spread that wealth around. The money it would bring to KC and the interest in the city it would bring would be immense.
And if you think Jacksonville would be bad than move the team, its a league of parody and needs to be fair for each city when it comes to the biggest game of the year.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064208)
Why exactly? The All Star Game seemed to go well.
I can see Green Bay not getting it just because of sheer size of stadium, NY is NY but I think KC would put on one hell of a Super Bowl week.

For one, there aren't enough hotel rooms to accommodate 100,000+ visitors.

Public transportation is nearly non-existent. The stadium is a long way from downtown and without rail, subway, bussing, etc., it would be a logistical nightmare.

cardken2 10-08-2013 03:23 PM

I've always said that the Super bowl should go round robin to every city of the NFL. I know logistics come into play in some venues, but every fan around the country should have the opportunity to experience the Super Bowl excitement, without going broke on travel let alone tickets prices.

vailpass 10-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardken2 (Post 10064337)
I've always said that the Super bowl should go round robin to every city of the NFL. I know logistics come into play in some venues, but every fan around the country should have the opportunity to experience the Super Bowl excitement, without going broke on travel let alone tickets prices.

$

RealSNR 10-08-2013 03:29 PM

When the Raiders get a chance to host the Super Bowl, instead of a roman numeral, that Super Bowl will just be followed by a picture of a turd

listopencil 10-08-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064299)
And the way football should be played time to time. Domes are for sissys. Every NFL city should get a Super Bowl before a city gets two. The NFL cash cow needs to spread that wealth around. The money it would bring to KC and the interest in the city it would bring would be immense.
And if you think Jacksonville would be bad than move the team, its a league of parody and needs to be fair for each city when it comes to the biggest game of the year.

I like foul weather football but I don't think the NFL will go for it if they don't have to.

Chief Roundup 10-08-2013 03:38 PM

No zero chance. We lost that chance when the removable top was not part of the renovation. There was an exception made for New York. It was part of the stadium deal IIRC.

vailpass 10-08-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10064376)
I like foul weather football but I don't think the NFL will go for it if they don't have to.

Plus you need to have convention facilities, infrastructure, everything for the biggest spectacle in American sports...

gblowfish 10-08-2013 03:40 PM

We had the Pro Bowl at Arrowhead once, before they permanently moved it to Hawaii. I went to the game!

KC native 10-08-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10064321)

Public transportation is nearly non-existent. The stadium is a long way from downtown and without rail, subway, bussing, etc., it would be a logistical nightmare.

This.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10064321)

Roger Goodell as of May 31st of this year said this when it comes to hotel rooms

"It is more than just a game now," said Goodell from the owners' meetings in Boston last week. "I keep emphasizing that. This is a week-long event. We have multiple events that need multiple facilities. We are at [a need for] well over 25,000 hotel rooms now."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013...t-a-super-bowl

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 03:52 PM

Surely KC has better than 25k hotel rooms within an hour drive. (the hour drive is the stipulation put on this)

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064425)
Surely KC has better than 25k hotel rooms within an hour drive. (the hour drive is the stipulation put on this)

One hour drive?

:facepalm:

Logistical nightmare.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10064454)
One hour drive?

Logistical nightmare.

Thats the NFL guideline... it says better than 25k rooms within an hour drive.
An hour long drive in KC is the same as an hour long drive in NY, LA, SF Tampa....

CaliforniaChief 10-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064425)

Yeah, doesn't the Motel 6 in Bolivar have a max capacity of 85? That has to count for something.

vailpass 10-08-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10064454)
One hour drive?

Logistical nightmare.

Through ice and snow from a shitty motel room?
no.

Brock 10-08-2013 04:03 PM

Nobody wants to come to cold ass KC in February.

Chief Roundup 10-08-2013 04:04 PM

Don't know what the difference is in the number of hotels between Tampa and KC would be, but when I lived in Florida I worked for the communications supplier for the SB. NFL communications asked our people about renting/subletting their homes for a week. I know of 2 that took advantage and got 10k for it.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064461)
Thats the NFL guideline... it says better than 25k rooms within an hour drive.

But you do realize that first off, even that's unlikely and secondly, who's going to want to stay in a hotel in the middle of nowhere to go to a Super Bowl?

Staying in Times Square or Union Square is very different than staying in Warrensburg or Lawrence.

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10064468)
Nobody wants to come to cold ass KC in February.

They went to cold ass Detroit... Im sure coming to KC would be more appealing than Detroit!

Lprechaun 10-08-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10064474)
Don't know what the difference is in the number of hotels between Tampa and KC would be, but when I lived in Florida I worked for the communications supplier for the SB. NFL communications asked our people about renting/subletting their homes for a week. I know of 2 that took advantage and got 10k for it.

I live just south of Tamp about 65 miles and was offered 5k for the week for my condo the last Super Bowl here. They advertise it on the radio for people to rent their homes, condos, apts for people who will pay TONS for a bed for a week.

Brock 10-08-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064476)
They went to cold ass Detroit... Im sure coming to KC would be more appealing than Detroit!

Detroit's a stupid place for a sb too.

jettio 10-08-2013 04:15 PM

A rolling roof was on the ballot to be paid for by Jackson County use tax paid by businesses.

That did not pass, but the ballot measure to publicly fund most of the stadium renovations for Arrowhead and the K did pass.

That decided it. IIRC, I think NFL pledged a KC Super Bowl if measure passed and Rolling Roof.

I rather see the Chiefs make it to a few Super Bowls no matter where it is played. Unless you have a business that makes money on a big event coming to town or love parties and celebrities. I don't think it would be any great thrill to have two out-of-town teams play for the Lombardi at Arrowhead.

hometeam 10-08-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064299)

NFL isn't interested in spreading wealth. They are interested in acquiring wealth.

So unless KC has a roof. Forget about it. NYC only got it because of the city. And they will be the only exception to the 'rule'.

frozenchief 10-08-2013 04:52 PM

Its the KC airport. The NFL would have to pay for all of the extra TSA workers to man each gate and they don't want to pay those fees. Hell, the extra TSA workers would take a few thousand hotel rooms themselves.

Halfcan 10-08-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 10064192)
Have I missed something the last few years or has KC not put in a bid to host a Super Bowl? With the NFL allowing cold weather games every now and then and the newly renovated stadium is there even the slightest chance they would be granted the big game? Would it be more contingent on us winning a few playoff games or a Super Bowl before be taken seriously?

If the Jackson County voters would have paid another 500 million to put a plastic baggy looking roof on our beautiful Arrowhead-the NFL said they would consider it. We said F U and voted it down. So doubtful it will ever happen.

They can't have Justin Beaver getting rained on or have the kardashrians chilly. Football should be played inside in a controlled environment-don't you know-lol

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10064474)

LMAO

You're talking about a resort community versus a metropolitan area that's completely spread out.

GESteve 10-08-2013 05:03 PM

New Orleans is lights out the best place for a Super Bowl

Mojo Jojo 10-08-2013 05:10 PM

In order of KC to qualify for hotel rooms...Topeka has to be included. The last bid Lamar put in included Topeka and Columbia for rooms.

InChiefsHeaven 10-08-2013 05:33 PM

As much as I like weather being a part of the game, leave that shit to the playoffs. The Super Bowl should be played where weather is not a factor. JMO...I'd love it for KC, but it would be a logistical nightmare, and if you have a blizzard, which is entirely probable, it's just stupid.

J Diddy 10-08-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 10064704)

Yup. The superdome is frequently getting the roof torn off.

GloryDayz 10-08-2013 06:12 PM

This league is WAAAAAAY to gay to let that happen... Roger just won't let it happen because he's a ****-stick and doesn't like football!

GloryDayz 10-08-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 10064704)

Yeah, the Section-8 Dome is super ****ing awesome. Topped only by it being super ****ing stupid! The good news is that if the could put a big inner-tube around the skinny part of the joint, and unscrew the bolts holding it to the footing, maybe it can float away to Cuba after the next heavy rain that draws in those crowds of fine people.

And what could be better that having people come to town and realize they miss home because "back home" doesn't smell like a urinal? Not to mention having a transvestite asking them if they want their asshole perma-stretched open...

Yeah, it just an awesome place OK... Very unique to say the least. Like the shit I just took!

Psyko Tek 10-08-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

phx had the bseball allstar in 11
and don't they get the 15 soperbowl?

or because it's ina suburb it doesn't count?

eDave 10-08-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10064266)
First I've heard of this.

Yea, this sounds like BS. What the **** does the NFL care where the All Star was played?

Not specific to your comment; though we are not New York, what does that matter? It's still the Superbowl. Everyone will come, everyone will watch.

KC would be an awesome host city.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-08-2013 07:23 PM

No chance in hell that ever happens. Lamar has been dead for too long, there's no roof, and KC does not have the transportation or infrastructure to support it. It might be the worst possible NFL city to host a Super Bowl.

GESteve 10-08-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10064980)
Yeah, the Section-8 Dome is super ****ing awesome. Topped only by it being super ****ing stupid! The good news is that if the could put a big inner-tube around the skinny part of the joint, and unscrew the bolts holding it to the footing, maybe it can float away to Cuba after the next heavy rain that draws in those crowds of fine people.

And what could be better that having people come to town and realize they miss home because "back home" doesn't smell like a urinal? Not to mention having a transvestite asking them if they want their asshole perma-stretched open...

Yeah, it just an awesome place OK... Very unique to say the least. Like the shit I just took!

I guess you don't remember the lights going out during the Super Bowl dumb ass it was a joke

eDave 10-08-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 10064647)
Its the KC airport. The NFL would have to pay for all of the extra TSA workers to man each gate and they don't want to pay those fees. Hell, the extra TSA workers would take a few thousand hotel rooms themselves.

This is a very valid point. Can you imagine that much traffic through KCI? Reminds me of the scene in World War Z when the zombies took over Tel Aviv.

ChiefsCountry 10-08-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10064489)
Detroit's a stupid place for a sb too.

Not when 3 of the biggest advertisers are in that city.

ChiefsCountry 10-08-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10064730)
In order of KC to qualify for hotel rooms...Topeka has to be included. The last bid Lamar put in included Topeka and Columbia for rooms.

Topeka is the same distance from downtown KC that Wentzville/Warrenton suburbs is from downtown St. Louis. Topeka and St. Joseph being their own tv markets and metro areas screws KC out of a bigger population.

Gravedigger 10-08-2013 08:06 PM

Meh, eventually we'll vote to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead and all will be groovy.

sedated 10-08-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10065384)
Meh, eventually we'll vote to put a retractable roof on Arrowhead and all will be groovy.

I think the decision makers in KC knew the roof was just the first step. KCMO would have to pull its head out of its ass to support the kind of overhaul it would take to be a SB town.

Honestly, Im fine without all the national chatter about "awww, we have to go to KC for the super bowl?!?" Even KC locals were embarrassed to have the all-star game here.

Weather, hotels, nightlife, transportation. KC has none of those.

Lex Luthor 12-17-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

I call bullshit on this.