ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Please don't jump off the bridge just yet... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144463)

htismaqe 07-28-2006 09:39 AM

Please don't jump off the bridge just yet...

Look, I'm as distraught as the rest of you about Roaf's retirement, but somebody here has to provide some positive input, because I don't feel like rebooting the server every 30 minutes today. :D

I submit to all of you the Buffalo game.

It was a shining example of Saunders and Vermeil going away from LJ and the run and passing the ball despite heavy pressure from the Buffalo defense.

Larry finished that game with 27 rushes for 132 yards, a 4.9ypc average - without Willie Roaf.

In fact, in the games Willie missed, Larry rushed for about 4.7ypc. And LJ set the single-game rushing record against Houston without Willie Roaf.

Perhaps Herm's conservatism is precisely what we need right now? We can only hope.

cdcox 07-28-2006 09:41 AM

There is a bridge? Where is it?

banyon 07-28-2006 09:44 AM

I am grabbing an anvil so that my descent off the bridge will go that much faster.

Eleazar 07-28-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon
I am grabbing an anvil so that my descent off the bridge will go that much faster.

Did you major in physics?

Mr. Laz 07-28-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Perhaps Herm's conservatism is precisely what we need right now? We can only hope.

that's crap ..... if you don't think that herm's conservatism will put more pressure on the need for great offensive line play then you've just smoked a bowl and haven't come back down yet.

morphius 07-28-2006 09:45 AM

And without Roaf we don't have to worry about the deep ball, so Kennison can kiss our ass

Oh?
You don't say?
I guess you are right, I'm really not helping. :D

hypersensitiveZO6 07-28-2006 09:45 AM

I wonder if Herm knew about this.

FringeNC 07-28-2006 09:51 AM

There seems to be this feeling we were the 1999-2002 St. Louis Rams under Vermeil/Sanders. We weren't. Under supposed "Air Saunders" we ran the ball more than 80-90% of the other teams in the league. We simply have little room to run the ball more without being totally predictable.

My reason not to jump off the bridge is that going from Roaf to Black was going from the best in the league to the worst. I think we can put someone in there at LT who doesn't suck nearly as much as Jordan Black.

petegz28 07-28-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Look, I'm as distraught as the rest of you about Roaf's retirement, but somebody here has to provide some positive input, because I don't feel like rebooting the server every 30 minutes today. :D

It was a shining example of Saunders and Vermeil going away from LJ and the run and passing the ball despite heavy pressure from the Buffalo defense.

Larry finished that game with 27 rushes for 132 yards, a 4.9ypc average - without Willie Roaf.

In fact, in the games Willie missed, Larry rushed for about 4.7ypc. And LJ set the single-game rushing record against Houston without Willie Roaf.

I tried Smaq. I started the "Life After Roaf" thread but basically got slammed for ot echoing that we will be 1-15 this year now.

I remember use running all over Philly with Black until Saunders got cockey!

hypersensitiveZO6 07-28-2006 09:58 AM

The only problem I have is that we lost that Buffalo game 3-14. :banghead:

And Houston sucks horribly. :deevee:

Rain Man 07-28-2006 09:59 AM

There's no time to climb a bridge. I'm stapling myself to death at my desk.

DaFace 07-28-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise

Well, the descent wouldn't be any faster, but you would sink in the water more quickly with an anvil. :D

Fish 07-28-2006 10:01 AM

Ehh... it really sucks, but we'll be fine.

I ain't scared.....

the Talking Can 07-28-2006 10:02 AM

I just threw someone else off a bridge, you should have posted this sooner.

chagrin 07-28-2006 10:02 AM

Relevant comment, and music trivia -

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

Iowanian 07-28-2006 10:02 AM

I'm not as worried about the health of Chief fans as I am those of Denver.

It appears that many donk fans may be in danger of death of dehydration due to masterbation.

chagrin 07-28-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
I just threw someone else off a bridge, you should have posted this sooner.

ROFL

banyon 07-28-2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

:LOL: clearly not, as my understanding of physics is based on watching Wile E. Coyote.

banyon 07-28-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Yep pasting the Texans and Bills last year gives me a lot of confidence we can do that against other teams.http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphi...ingedeagle.gif

Rain Man 07-28-2006 10:10 AM

Maybe it's a magnetic anvil, and he's jumping off a bridge in an area that has a lot of iron ore in the ground. A plastic bridge. Did you ever think of that?

BigRedChief 07-28-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon
:LOL: clearly not, as my understanding of physics is based on watching Wile E. Coyote.

Television is best used as an education resource. Rep for Banyon

KCFalcon59 07-28-2006 10:11 AM

I am teetering on the edge. I am expecting the next worst thing to happen. Shields will retire tomorrow.

StcChief 07-28-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin

My memory alittle foggy,

Led Zeppelin - the Crunge (Houses Of The Holy) ?

ROYC75 07-28-2006 10:15 AM

Why jump off a bridge, I'm betting at Vegas on this run and taking out life insurance policies on Trent Green.

Jordan Black can make me millions of dollars..........

BigChiefFan 07-28-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Led Zeppelin, The Crunge, Houses of the Holy

DaKCMan AP 07-28-2006 10:55 AM

I'm not jumping, but I'll push the rest of you off! :D

jiveturkey 07-28-2006 10:59 AM

It's Svitek time!!!

chagrin 07-28-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nm_dbf
My memory alittle foggy,

Led Zeppelin - the Crunge (Houses Of The Holy) ?

You better not have been using that search engine for the answer!!

Baby Lee 07-28-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

You better not have been using that search engine for the answer!!

Was that supposed to be hard?

That has to be the most irritating riff in RnR history, not necessarily in a bad way. It's just they keep playing the start of a transition to 'the bridge' and never resolve it.
It's the RnR equivalent to saying "Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti . . . . "

Say Do dammit!!!

Spicy McHaggis 07-28-2006 11:20 AM

If this all happens, if Willie really is gone and this isn't about money then htis is right. This isn't the end of the season by any means. Will Svitek was very impressive in the NFLE this year. Yes, it's the NFLE. Yes, if he does start this year there will be some growing pains. But I'm not convinced he won't do at least a passable job if given the opportunity.

This event is something that we expected to deal with next year and now have to deal with it in the here and now. But it's not the end of the world. A good team won't make excuses and will find a way to overcome adversity. So let's see how good these Chiefs are.

Bring it on, bitches!!!

Lzen 07-28-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

ROFL

Baby Lee 07-28-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
This event is something that we expected to deal with next year after our SB run, and now have to deal with it in the here and now, by going into rebuild mode with aging talent without sniffing the playoffs.

FYP

Chiefs Pantalones 07-28-2006 12:11 PM

I'm not concerned. We have Herm Edwards to rah-rah us to victory!!! :)

Seriously, though, I don't think it will be that bad. Sure, it's a blow, but we have a whole training camp and preseason to get one of the others to step up. I'm still excited about the season.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
that's crap ..... if you don't think that herm's conservatism will put more pressure on the need for great offensive line play then you've just smoked a bowl and haven't come back down yet.

Have you ever played offensive line?

Run blocking is MUCH less difficult than pass blocking, especially if you take out the swing/pull plays and run straight ahead.

Even Jordan Black can do it.

tk13 07-28-2006 12:30 PM

I don't think anyone is concerned about the run blocking as much as they are Trent getting sacked 5 times a game.

BigRedChief 07-28-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't think anyone is concerned about the run blocking as much as they are Trent getting sacked 5 times a game.

And then a rookie puts down the clipboard and trots out onto the field.
:banghead:

tk13 07-28-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
And then a rookie puts down the clipboard and trots out onto the field.
:banghead:

Not if I'm the coach. Huard can take that beating just fine, thank you. :)

|Zach| 07-28-2006 02:02 PM

I think there is a big difference between knowing you are the guy through training camp and preseason and working with other lineman as a unit and being dropped in the middle of the fire...

NJ Chief Fan 07-28-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

casey printers will be starter by week 4 if this happens...were goin to need a qb that is goin to be able to avoid some of the defensive rush

beer bacon 07-28-2006 02:20 PM

Casey "Vick" Printers is going to lead us to the playoffs!

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-28-2006 02:21 PM

One bright note is that we are better off having to replace Roaf this year and Shields next year rather than having to fill both vacancies at the same time.
Right.

Predarat 07-28-2006 02:29 PM

Who needs a bridge when ive got a nice shower rod?

Imon Yourside 07-28-2006 02:38 PM

Everyone has been clamoring for the QBOTF, so what we get to experience it much sooner than predicted.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer
One bright note is that we are better off having to replace Roaf this year and Shields next year rather than having to fill both vacancies at the same time.
Right.

True.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC
I think there is a big difference between knowing you are the guy through training camp and preseason and working with other lineman as a unit and being dropped in the middle of the fire...

Very true.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Um, that was the point of the thread.

RUN THE BALL.

Mecca 07-28-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

RUN THE BALL.

Even if that's the point, we better hope one of those other RB's can take carries then because we can't give LJ 400 carries, well unless we want him to be done in 3 years.

Mr. Laz 07-28-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Run blocking is MUCH less difficult than pass blocking, especially if you take out the swing/pull plays and run straight ahead.

ya ... and when the defense knows we are going to run?

and when we do try and pass but have to keep gonzo in as a blocker?

the worst thing that can happen to an offense is being predictable.

i'm not jumping off a bridge, but hermy-ball ain't gonna help the situation.

jiveturkey 07-28-2006 04:18 PM

We need to finish up the Bennet trade.

Mecca 07-28-2006 04:19 PM

The Saints won't even consider trading Bennett till Bush is signed and ready to play.

dirk digler 07-28-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

RUN THE BALL.

Are you advocating the return of Martyball? :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones 07-28-2006 04:48 PM

Al Saunders was on 610 and said that Willie retiring wouldn't really hurt the running game. He mentioned that LJ would still have an MVP type of season, in his opinion. He said if it were to hurt anything (Saunders has always been an optimist) it would be the passing game.

I'm really not that displeased, because we have the whole training camp and preseason to figure out who our tackles are going to be. I'm not ready to declare the season over.

dirk digler 07-28-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder
Al Saunders was on 610 and said that Willie retiring wouldn't really hurt the running game. He mentioned that LJ would still have an MVP type of season, in his opinion. He said if it were to hurt anything (Saunders has always been an optimist) it would be the passing game.

I'm really not that displeased, because we have the whole training camp and preseason to figure out who our tackles are going to be. I'm not ready to declare the season over.

Saunders was on 610 talking about the Chiefs? Interesting. The problem I see it is that in order for the O to be as explosive as usual we have to some degree of being unpredictable. With Roaf gone I certainly can see the O being alot more predictable and everyone will be playing 8 men in the box against us forcing us to throw the ball and get Trent killed.

penchief 07-28-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder

I'm actually okay with it. Now we can all quit worrying about the sky falling. The sky has fallen and we have to deal with it. I think we're going to be fine. Left tackle is a major hole to fill but I think this team is on the upswing and it won't be long before that hole is filled. Adjustments are a part of the game.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
ya ... and when the defense knows we are going to run?

and when we do try and pass but have to keep gonzo in as a blocker?

the worst thing that can happen to an offense is being predictable.

i'm not jumping off a bridge, but hermy-ball ain't gonna help the situation.

Go to a 2TE set, have Dunn help the LT and have TG go out for the pass.

It's really not all that difficult, and if we all here can think of stuff like this, you damn bet professional coaches already have contingency plans.

All I'm saying is don't get pretty. Run PA, run the ball, and be smart.

That doesn't necessarily equal predictable. At times, even Saunders ball was predictable.

htismaqe 07-28-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler
Are you advocating the return of Martyball? :hmmm:

I'm advocating SMASHMOUTH.

SMASHMOUTH <> Martyball

Rausch 07-28-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

I hope so because Black was ABUSED by their DE that day...

dirk digler 07-28-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

I'm advocating SMASHMOUTH.

SMASHMOUTH <> Martyball

I don't know if I can go back to watching 10-7 types of games.

Rausch 07-28-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Indeed.

It was much more fun to lose 34-30 than win 14-10...

:rolleyes:

stevieray 07-28-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

"I wanna tell you 'bout my good ...thing...
I aiiint..disclosing no names. buuuuut..."

:rockon:

stevieray 07-28-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

like turley said today, they can't win if they can't score.

Can you imagine the crowsda t arrowhead finally being able to get behind adefense again?

and people think it's hard to play here now? talk about loud

dirk digler 07-28-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
Indeed.

It was much more fun to lose 34-30 than win 14-10...

:rolleyes:

You can't tell me that wasn't exciting win or lose?

Watching the Chiefs run 2 plays up the middle and then throw a swing pass for 2 yds is not overly exciting.

What I really want is a Chiefs blowout every game so I don't have a freaking heart attack.

dirk digler 07-28-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray
like turley said today, they can't win if they can't score.

Can you imagine the crowsda t arrowhead finally being able to get behind adefense again?

and people think it's hard to play here now? talk about loud

I agree but I don't think this D is on that kind of level do you?

Do you honestly think they could pitch a shutout if they had to?

Calcountry 07-28-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

I just hope we don't go back to the Nigerian body left, Nigerian body right play book. As big as Okoye was, he was getting murdered by LB's and Safety's once the whole league knew that we wouldn't pass until 3rd down.

|Zach| 07-28-2006 05:49 PM

This whole marty ball thing is so blown out of proportion...

Trent Green - Elvis Grbac
Larry Johnson - Greg Hill

Tell me they can't execute better...

stevieray 07-28-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

I agree but I don't think this D is on that kind of level do you?

Do you honestly think they could pitch a shutout if they had to?

They stopped the Invescos on fourth and one. so they've shown they can rise to the occasion.

they were also 16th in points allowed.. while shutouts in the NFL are rare, I think this defense has the capability to be even better.

Baby Lee 07-28-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

You can't tell me that wasn't exciting win or lose?

Watching the Chiefs run 2 plays up the middle and then throw a swing pass for 2 yds is not overly exciting.

What I really want is a Chiefs blowout every game so I don't have a freaking heart attack.

On one hand you have
Exciting on O, impotence eliciting embarassing on D
versus
Pride swelling, dominant, and exciting on D, boring on O.

Don't want either, but I'll take the latter over the former.

If I had a daughter, I'd take a boring bookworm with good grades over a crack whore street walking on my block every day.

|Zach| 07-28-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
On one hand you have
versus

If I had a daughter, I'd take a boring bookworm with good grades over a crack whore street walking on my block every day.

ROFL

tk13 07-28-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

RUN THE BALL.

You can't run it 60 times a game. I mean, I agree, we should be one of the top running teams.

The catch to that is, we already were. We don't have to change a thing and we'll be one of the top teams in rushing attempts. Everybody acts like we were some high flying Mike Martz offense that abandoned the run.

OnTheWarpath15 07-28-2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
On one hand you have
versus

Exactly.

I'll gladly take them winning every game 14-10, 10-7, 6-3, etc, if it means going 13-3 and making a run in the playoffs........

Wait......

Make that 14-2 or 12-4.

dirk digler 07-28-2006 06:15 PM

If you want 14-10 games then this team will never make it to the SB.

The last 3 SB winners averaged 24.3 pts per game on O.

2003 - NE 21.3
2004 - NE 27.3
2005 - Pitt- 24.3

The way the game has changed tilting towards the O you have to be able to put up some kind of points.

dirk digler 07-28-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC
This whole marty ball thing is so blown out of proportion...

Trent Green - Elvis Grbac
Larry Johnson - Greg Hill

Tell me they can't execute better...

No question but can they protect Trent is the real key?

Mecca 07-28-2006 06:19 PM

This is still at best a middle of the pack defense, if anyone realistically thinks we're gonna win games scoring 17-21 points a game it's gonna be a long year.

tk13 07-28-2006 06:28 PM

I think we can still average 20-25 ppg. I'm just not sure we can get back to being a dominant 30 ppg type offense like at the end of last year unless somebody really steps up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the defense continues to improve. But if that doesn't happen, we're up the creek.

Mosbonian 07-28-2006 06:34 PM

OK...one quick question....

We all acknowledge that we have (had) the best O-line in football....a quintet (5, for those mathematically challenged)of the best players in the game when it comes to protecting the QB and opening holes for our RB's.

So what I am seeing by all these posts is that what most people truly believe is that we have one guy who made the line great....so now that he is gone, we're screwed.

If I was one of the guys who made up that Quintet (now Quartet), I'd be a whole lot pissed that everyone thought so little of the talent and cohesiveness of the remaining 4 and their capability to help the "new guy" become a part of the Crew, that I'd make sure to prove each and every one of them wrong....

Ok...so there wasn't a question....just a comment.

m:mad:dog

Mecca 07-28-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

I think we can still average 20-25 ppg. I'm just not sure we can get back to being a dominant 30 ppg type offense like at the end of last year unless somebody really steps up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the defense continues to improve. But if that doesn't happen, we're up the creek.

I just have this really bad vision of Green dropping back, holding the ball longer than he should because he does do that alot......and getting his block knocked off.

I think the biggest problem with this is Green has become spoiled with the line we've had. He better work on his release and how quick be makes reads all through camp. Because if you watch him then watch almost any other QB in the league. From the snap to the back step on the drop to the release Trent Green is one of the slowest and may hold the ball the longest of anyone....

Chargeroo 07-28-2006 06:45 PM

The happiest dudes in the USA right now are the DE's of the Chargers, Broncos, and raiders.

Don't despair though, it could be that Willie just wants to miss out on those 2 a days. It won't be a big surprise if he "changes his mind" in about three weeks.

The Chiefs were destined for a third place finish in the West this year anyway. Look on the bright side, now you could finish behind the raiders and get a really great draft pick!

bogie 07-28-2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargeroo
The happiest dudes in the USA right now are the DE's of the Chargers, Broncos, and raiders.

Don't despair though, it could be that Willie just wants to miss out on those 2 a days. It won't be a big surprise if he "changes his mind" in about three weeks.

The Chiefs were destined for a third place finish in the West this year anyway. Look on the bright side, now you could finish behind the raiders and get a really great draft pick!

Sit back and watch, dick.

Mecca 07-28-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargeroo

I'm sure everyone is scared of Phillip Rivers in his first year starting......not to mention the worst secondary in the entire NFL.

|Zach| 07-28-2006 06:56 PM

A Charger fan chiming it...who needs a line when you play the Chargers...there were some times where LJ was carrying that whole team on his back for 10 yards.

Talk about complete domination no the ground.